Melbourne Football

13/14 Expectations - Get Excited

Caddy

Being an Essendon supporter I am hanging out for Heart to commence their season, especially given our IMHO great recruiting. What are we expecting this year in terms of results and style of play?

Top 4 should be an absolute minimum aim, but in reality expecting anything less than finishing top is aiming for mediocrity. I'm still hopeful that Aloisi can be good manager, he showed glimpses of tactical nous in what was a shocking mentally weak squad last season. He made some tough calls on senior players and replaced them with better players.

One thing we lack is a clinical striker, profligacy being a major problem throughout all our seasons. Will we use our last Visa on a striker? Or Can Williams be consistant and score regularly? Dugandzic is also basically a new signing. Wielaert should shore up and compose our defense, whilst Engelaar will add presence to our midfield. It will be fascinating to see how a hungry Kewell performs.

Being a staunch Aloisi defender last year and massive optimist, even I will be calling for his head if we starts the season poorly. When you compare our squad to others, there is far too much talent not to do extremely well this season.

What are you expecting this season?

Being an Essendon supporter I am hanging out for Heart to commence their season, especially given our IMHO great recruiting. What are we expecting this year in terms of results and style of play?

Top 4 should be an absolute minimum aim, but in reality expecting anything less than finishing top is aiming for mediocrity. I'm still hopeful that Aloisi can be good manager, he showed glimpses of tactical nous in what was a shocking mentally weak squad last season. He made some tough calls on senior players and replaced them with better players.

One thing we lack is a clinical striker, profligacy being a major problem throughout all our seasons. Will we use our last Visa on a striker? Or Can Williams be consistant and score regularly? Dugandzic is also basically a new signing. Wielaert should shore up and compose our defense, whilst Engelaar will add presence to our midfield. It will be fascinating to see how a hungry Kewell performs.

Being a staunch Aloisi defender last year and massive optimist, even I will be calling for his head if we starts the season poorly. When you compare our squad to others, there is far too much talent not to do extremely well this season.

What are you expecting this season?

I'm expecting:

-Crowd improvements. instead of getting 5-6k a game i would expect for us to get more around 10k. We've had two big signing's (kewell, engleerad) and we have also had other solid signing's so that should be enough incentive to get people out to come and see heart.

-Top 4 finish at least. There's no reason why we can't compete with the CCM and the WSW of the world with the list we have on paper now.

-Extremely scrutinised JA. Last season he got away with murder in all due respect, and was very lucky to keep his job. Now that he has had a second pre-season to get the players he wants, he needs to now make this list gel. Heart management however can't be complacent. If things start going to shit in the first 10 games sack him. A pass mark for his first 10 games should at least be 6-7 wins.

-Win a game away from home!!!!!!

-Flog the vistors

- And last but not least, for EVERYBODY to participate and make yarraside the best active area in the league. There have been too many passengers who complained about the club 'not showing any ambiotion' or 'a lack of vision' but now, with the signing's we have done so far, theres no excuses.You either sing, or GTFO 

• Like 1

I'll be excited when:

we win outside Victoria

we win despite conceding the first goal

we win second halves of games, especially away from home

we look fit

we have a clearly defined system of play and the tactical flexibility to implement it despite the opponent

we stop regularly conceding goals in the last 5 minutes of games

we can deliver HAL quality corners and free kicks

we have a midfield that can keep possession of the ball

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 4

Currently, I expect Heart to make the top 6 without difficulty. And if we sign up some more firepower I expect us to at least make the top 4. 

I reckon crowds will be up. 

Because we replaced the old spine of the team, Colosimo, Thompson and Fred, with Wielaert, Engelaar and Kewell, I expect us to play a much better brand of football.

I think we'll correct our away record soon enough.

For me the big unknown is Aloisi. He's been going around Europe this off-season, looking at clubs like Bayern Munich, and furthering his coaching education in England, so there's reasons for optimism. I think overall he could have a pretty solid season, but he needs to improve in a number of areas.

All up, I reckon this is about the best Heart has looked going into a new season.

• Like 2

for engelaar to break Archie thimpsons legs and end his career in the final where we win the match 4-3 from a Kewell winner on the 120th minute infront of the victory supporters

Don't you mean when Behich scores from 1m in front of an open goal in extra time against MV! And in the grand final and that would be the sweetest revenge for Aziz and the greatest game our club has had in our illustrious history ;)

No one else may think this, but with our squad and depth, we can come 2nd, if not win the Premier's Plate. Especially if we can hold leads home and away.

We had the equal 4th highest amount of points and goals for the matter from home games. Just need to do the same away.

If our crowds increase, we'll play well at home every week/fortnight. As we see in derbies and even the game against Sydney (ADP factor), the players seem to play much better and increase their intensity.

COME ON YOU BOYS IN RED!!

• Like 1

- Finish Top 4

- Win home final

- Win at least 3 away games

- Average attendance of 10,000

- Win at least 2 of the 3 Melbourne derbies

- Kewell to score 10+

- Mebrahtu/Williams/Dugandzic all to score 5+

- Positive goal difference

- Engelaar to rape the A-League and step on Archie (by accident of course) 

MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE!  :up:

I'm moderately happy with the direction we're going - I think we've got a far superior squad than last year and should improve but I'm worried about a few issues that could bite us in the arse - yes, I'm one of those eloquently labelled "pessimistic cunts" from above. Let's not forget last season was a bit of a train wreck at the end with some shocking stuff on and off the field. We could really push high in the table but everything would have to go right. The structural things that need to change or concern me are:

1. Aloisi - I'm on record on this forum being totally unimpressed with him last year. Rookie coach granted but there needs to be massive improvement tactically, but more importantly in man management and responsibility. He's been given a decent squad - lets see if he can manage it. This is the issue which concerns me by far the most.

2. Fitness - ordinary last year with fade outs late in games.

3. Injuries - always the great unknown and our signings aren't young. Don't forget Kewell's history and Wielardt is an unknown.

4. Away hoodoo - this must be rectified - god knows how anyone let it get so bad.

5. Striker / X factor - having someone get close to golden boot would be handy - someone you can rely on to threaten week after week. Hopefully a marquee spot can fill this. Add to this someone who can lead and inspire when 2-0 down - some grunt!!

6. Unknowns - who would have thought the Bombers would be where they are now compared to the start of the season?? Sometimes shit happens: unrest in the squad, sacked coach, financial problems etc etc. All out of ones control.

Yep, am happy to get mildly excited, but until I can see some remedy to what happened especially in the last 5 games, I'll keep my emotions in check.

• Like 3

Im with you defib. Although the I am happy with the way we are looking I am not as confident as others. Just because you have the ingredients it does not mean you can cook.

Hopefully it all comes together but this club seems to have an incredible way of making some pretty basic things look needlessly complicated.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

for engelaar to break Archie thimpsons legs and end his career in the final where we win the match 4-3 from a Kewell winner on the 120th minute infront of the victory supporters

Don't you mean when Behich scores from 1m in front of an open goal in extra time against MV!

Off his chest on his knees. Oh that would be amazing!

I'm expecting:

-Crowd improvements. instead of getting 5-6k a game i would expect for us to get more around 10k. We've had two big signing's (kewell, engleerad) and we have also had other solid signing's so that should be enough incentive to get people out to come and see heart.

-Top 4 finish at least. There's no reason why we can't compete with the CCM and the WSW of the world with the list we have on paper now.

-Extremely scrutinised JA. Last season he got away with murder in all due respect, and was very lucky to keep his job. Now that he has had a second pre-season to get the players he wants, he needs to now make this list gel. Heart management however can't be complacent. If things start going to shit in the first 10 games sack him. A pass mark for his first 10 games should at least be 6-7 wins.

-Flog the vistors

- And last but not least, for EVERYBODY to participate and make yarraside the best active area in the league. There have been too many passengers who complained about the club 'not showing any ambiotion' or 'a lack of vision' but now, with the signing's we have done so far, theres no excuses.You either sing, or GTFO 

Does that mean you guys might actually start wearing red and white colours? Instead of peach coloured t-shirts and chequered shirts buttoned all the way to the top?  :P

• Like 6

I'd love to see better use of our wide players this year. We've got a strong spine which should complement these outside players well.

Have you been to any of the preseason games? You'd love what you see

I've seen them, but I think Richmond will be the test to see if there has been any real change in how they're used.

I'm expecting:

-Flog the vistors

Does that mean you guys might actually start wearing red and white colours? Instead of peach coloured t-shirts and chequered shirts buttoned all the way to the top? :PGod you're a fag :droy:

Spend more time watching the match and not us mate :up:

Edited by Boffins
  • Like 1

I agree with everything Defib mentioned above. Would just like to add that I want to see total commitment to the shirt for 95 minutes every single game. And I never want to see "making finals"  to be considered a worthy objective ever again. Always our objective is to be Premiers.

IMO we've had three really mediocre seasons, and we fans have been loyal throughout that time when it would have been easier to walk away and forget the whole bloody thing. Now it is time to give us something to believe in.

• Like 1

I'm expecting:

-Flog the vistors

Does that mean you guys might actually start wearing red and white colours? Instead of peach coloured t-shirts and chequered shirts buttoned all the way to the top? :P God you're a fag :droy:

Spend more time watching the match and not us mate :up:

If you think everyone who goes to the football doesn't look at the Active Area which is there to add to the atmosphere, spectacle and entertainment then you're a fag!

Seriously, do you think no one looks at the Active Area during a match? lol

Do you not think it would add to that spectacle if the group chanting our players to the win wore the same colours as the club they're chanting for?