Melbourne Football

Player Contracts - 2018-19

forbze

Great news from the club in announcing the 5 departures. No surprise with Duff and Weilart, or Ramsay and Jelains. Mate was surprising that he has been released. Not that the club should have kept him but out of the 5 players he was one I thought might sneak in.. great to see the club making the correct calls. I think it will also effectively end there A-league careers in particular Ramsay and Mate.

Positives are we now have 2 new visa spots available and with Germano likley to follow that would be 3 visa spots available.

Who's next to be released??

Is Murdocca's contract finished too?

As for a few players with contracts, Michael Lynch's article did point to the club looking at getting rid of players that had contracts for next year too if solutions could be found for them at other clubs. Surely NJ and CCM, or even now Perth, need some cheap Hoff and Redders options to fill their squads :)

So of all the visa players we have had this season:

Villa - guest spot completed.

Koren - one year to go

Duff - One year contract not renewed, most likely by mutual consent since Duff always stated he was here for one season only.

Germano - End of contract. No further news.

Wieleart - End of contract, not renewed

Safuwan - Short term injury contract, terminated when he got injured

Jaliens - short term injury contract, completed and not renewed

Novillo - short term injury contract and apparently under negotiations.

I certainly would not mind having Novillo, Safuwan and Germano next season. Although all three have injury concerns.

Many thanks to Jaliens for stabilising the back line when he came in; and thanks to Wieleart for last season's efforts and scoring against MV.

Out of the local players this season and coming out of contract:

Ramsay - released

Dugandzic - released

Velaphi - out of contract and no further news

Murdocca - out of contract and no further news

Retre - has won a one year extension

Garrucio - ???? not sure on his contract status

Players this forum would like to release:

Redmayne - still one more season to go

Hoffman - still one more season to go

Williams - still one more season to go

Kennedy - still one more season to go

Paartalau - three more seasons to go.

Will always remember Dugandzic's freaky goal against MV from the wing. Ramsay came to the wrong club because they tried to turn him into a LB and that did not work out. Wish them all the best.

Out of the local players this season and coming out of contract:

Ramsay - released

Dugandzic - released

Velaphi - out of contract and no further news

Murdocca - out of contract and no further news

Retre - has won a one year extension

Garrucio - ???? not sure on his contract status

Players this forum would like to release:

Redmayne - still one more season to go

Hoffman - still one more season to go

Williams - still one more season to go

Kennedy - still one more season to go

Paartalau - three more seasons to go.

Will always remember Dugandzic's freaky goal against MV from the wing. Ramsay came to the wrong club because they tried to turn him into a LB and that did not work out. Wish them all the best.

Garrucio has 2 more seasons

I would sign on Novillo for the simple reason that he's threatening. He ain't perfect but he's dangerous and watching how he's progressed during his short stay here shows with a full preseason he will be an excellent signing.

I wouldn't sign on Safuwan, but I'd bring in another Visa player as a central defender as I don't have faith in a Kisnorbo/Chapman backline. Either that or look locally for the best Australian centre back we can find. I can't begin to stress how important this is.

I'd sign Germano under the condition that he passes a rigorous physical screening and there is a clause in his contract that allows us to release him under an agreed proviso should he get injured. If he doesn't agree to these terms I wouldn't risk him.

I would sign on Novillo for the simple reason that he's threatening. He ain't perfect but he's dangerous and watching how he's progressed during his short stay here shows with a full preseason he will be an excellent signing.

I wouldn't sign on Safuwan, but I'd bring in another Visa player as a central defender as I don't have faith in a Kisnorbo/Chapman backline. Either that or look locally for the best Australian centre back we can find. I can't begin to stress how important this is.

I'd sign Germano under the condition that he passes a rigorous physical screening and there is a clause in his contract that allows us to release him under an agreed proviso should he get injured. If he doesn't agree to these terms I wouldn't risk him.

Agree on Novillo. And good suggestion on Germano.

Safuwan I didn't mind and he is my baseline. You mention an Australian CB, who did you have in mind?

Agree on Novillo. And good suggestion on Germano.

Safuwan I didn't mind and he is my baseline. You mention an Australian CB, who did you have in mind?

I'm not sure, but if a local player of proven high quality can't be found then a Visa centre back would be a certainty for me.

These are just the players out of contract who will not be re-signed.

So hopefully we'll release the players who are still contracted soon as well: Redmayne, Hoffman, Williams (?) and most importantly Koren!

Problem is we can't release them because they're contracted and can only transfer them unless they breach the terms of their contract. 

Pretty sure City should wise up and include a "you play like a shit cunt, you're outta here" clause to negate this because it's going to be pretty difficult to offload Redmayne and Hoffman in particular. 

Can't see any club needing Hoffman. His best position is at RB, but at pretty much every club he'd be the 3rd best option in that position. Even Newcastle have Neville and Cowburn who are both far superior players and I highly doubt anyone would want him as a midfielder or striker as there's plenty better alternatives around. Unless he can get a move to SE Asia it's gonna be extremely hard to see him being sought after by other A-League clubs. Same applies for Redders, except Newcastle may need a back up if Birighitti leaves.

I think it would still add to the salary cap if he got released though? 

Like with Kalmar isn't it mutual agreement on the termination of a contract voids any costs counting towards the cap?

I would assume any termination payout, mutual or otherwise, counts towards the cap.

In situations like Kalmar's (where there's an immediate offer elsewhere) the player could be forgoing any termination fee or accepting a greatly reduced one.

Edited by Embee

Mutual termination of a contract (like with Kalmar's case) don't count towards the salary cap.

But if, for example, a player (e.g. Redmayne) is contracted for next season, and Melbourne City wanted to unilaterally terminate their contract, then Melbourne City would have to pay out his wages for next season, which would count towards the salary cap.

That's why the recent article said:

“while even some [City players] who are in the last year of their deals could find themselves moved on if moves to other clubs can be engineered

Because then it wouldn't cost cap space to remove players, and the club would actually then have the ability to sign up (hopefully superior) replacements.

• 4 weeks later...

Present situation as I have it.

Goalkeepers.

Redmayne. Contract until 31/5/16.

Velaphi. Out of contract.

Defenders.

Hoffman. Contract until 31/5/16.

Chapman. Contract until 31/5/16.

Kisnorbo. Contract until 31/5/16.

Clisby. Contract until 31/5/16.

Franjic. Contract until 31/5/18.

Midfielders.

Mauk. Contract until 31/5/16.

Garuccio. Contract until 31/5/17.

Paartalu. Contract until 31/5/18

Mooy. Contract until 31/5/16.

Koren (V,M). Contract until 31/5/16.

Melling. Contract until 31/5/16.

Retre. Contract until 31/5/16.

Germano (V). Out of contract.

Murdocca. Out of contract.

Forwards.

Williams. Contract until 31/5/16.

Brown. Contract until 31/5/16.

Marino. Contract until 31/5/16.

Kennedy (M). Contract until 31/5/16.

Kuzmanovski. Contract until 31/5/17.

Novillo (V) - injury replacement - out of contract.

putting it here before it gets buried in the transfer thread.

Edited by jw1739

So without terminating existing contracts how many spots are left? Tried to work it but CBF. Including Visa youth and whatever you can include.

From the Transfer Talk thread:

My count says that Kuzmanovski makes it 18 contracted players for next season. Only one is a visa player.

We can have a total of 26 (23+3).

From a squad numbers perspective we have plenty of room left.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Goalkeepers.

Defenders.

Midfielders.
Koren (V,M). Contract until 31/5/16.

Forwards.

17 contracted players for next season (only one foreign)

Big moves coming I suspect! Now lets hope Koren goes as well.

Goalkeepers.

Defenders.

Midfielders.
Koren (V, M). Contract until 31/5/16.

Forwards.

Novillo (V) - injury replacement - out of contract.

As of 18th June 2015 after the release of Andrew Redmayne.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic