Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart: The name, the colours & the logo - Are you happy with it?

FB.

151 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the name Melbourne Heart?

• Yes
    • No

changing the name would be a big risk. especially considering the public were given a chance to vote on the name. there are probably lots of people who voted for the name to be Heart and who attend matches and buy memberships who would be upset with a name change. they might even stop coming. so is that worth the risk?

The results for that vote were never released. Sporting Melbourne was the overwhelming favourite over the intenert on forums & social media, so I've always doubted how Heart got up.

As I said before, I think that vote was a front to collect details of potential supporters. The board had already settled on Heart as name long before then.

• Like 1

changing the name would be a big risk. especially considering the public were given a chance to vote on the name. there are probably lots of people who voted for the name to be Heart and who attend matches and buy memberships who would be upset with a name change. they might even stop coming. so is that worth the risk?

Yeah i say risk it. Why not go to another vote where only members can participate. Then if there is a name favoured by the VAST majority, pick it and never look back. Current name just pisses me off...

And again, I repeat, QLD Roar changed their name to Brisbane for great affect when their crowds were dropping a few seasons back when it was realised their club was not reflecting the identity of it's supporterbase. Since changing to Brisbane their club has gone from strength to strength, so there certainly is a precedent in this regard.

Queensland changed to Brisbane at the introduction of Gold Coast and NQ Fury, as they were no longer the sole team representing Queensland in the league.

It has nothing to do with the supporterbase.

• Like 1

Queensland changed to Brisbane at the introduction of Gold Coast and NQ Fury, as they were no longer the sole team representing Queensland in the league.

It has nothing to do with the supporterbase.

It had everything to do with supporterbase. With the 2 new clubs, they could no longer represent all the supporters in Queensland.

Your post doesn't change anything I typed.

Point remains, the club was on it's knees in 09. FFA had to buy a stake in the club, crowds dropped to under 8k, talk of it moving to Perry Park or Ballymore. It was a fucking shambles until the name change to reflect their Brisbane identity.

Edited by FB.

It had everything to do with supporterbase. With the 2 new clubs, they could no longer represent all the supporters in Queensland.

Point remains, the club was on it's knees in 09. FFA had to buy a stake in the club, crowds dropped to under 8k, talk of it moving to Perry Park or Ballymore. It was a fucking shambles until the name change to reflect their Brisbane identity.

Wasn't disputing your post.

My point was that it was more of an obligation to change the name, rather than a response to fan behaviour, etc.

And their crowds have increased more due to their success than the name change, although I agree that the rebranding has been a success in general.

Name changes can seem a little odd at first but it'll be forgotten in about 3 months time. People might be put off by the constant name changing that occured in the NSL when clubs tried to rebrand over and over again, but we just want to change from something that is clearly shit to something that would better represent the club.

• Like 2

Heart is still a better name than Glory, Victory, Phoenix, Roar or Fury. It at least conjures up some notions of pride and being representative of it's area. It's all the other crap that it brings that is shit. i.e. The relentless puns. I can see the club's branding organically growing to become just FC Melbourne or similiar. With the nickname of Hearts or Heart being retained but not as a part of the official branding. In the same way you see Sunderland being known as the black cats without being called The Sunderland Black Cats or the Yeovil Town Glovers etc etc

• Like 1

Some intresting fan designs for our club back from the the very original MHFC supporters forum. Some of you might recall some of these getting about during the early stages of the club.

melbournecity.jpg

Top Row, especially top Left would be my choice.

would prefer AFC Melbourne to FC Melbourne or Melbourne FC.

not saying that i deslike any of the above ^

consider thinking about the consequences to the crowed also, with the name Heart having an influence on some people coming to games (especially females).

consider thinking about the consequences to the crowed also, with the name Heart having an influence on some people coming to games (especially females).

I highly doubt that a female football fan would be drawn to a club because of the name "Heart". Every female fan that I know, is here here because they like the game not because we have a poxy name.

• Like 1

Any increase in crowds has little to nothing to do with their name change and all to do with success on the field and cheaper ticket prices. To call that a re-branding is stretching the term to its most extreme meaning.

It is one thing to say you don't/didn't like the club name and a different thing to say that we should change it. I didn't like the club name when it was chosen however I have become used to it and wouldn't want us to change it to something else in attempt to try and get more ppl through the gates..

• Like 1

It is one thing to say you don't/didn't like the club name and a different thing to say that we should change it.

I agree. That is why I phrased the question as I did. You may not 'like' the name but you may be happy enough to keep it. If you are unhappy with the name I assume you would want it changed.

I didn't like the club name when it was chosen however I have become used to it and wouldn't want us to change it to something else in attempt to try and get more ppl through the gates..

I think most people are arguing to change the name because consider it cheesy, unrelated to the club etc. not because they think another name might appeal to more fans. I agree though, changing it for that reason would be completely wrong.

Why is the name and logo an issue for some?? These things grow into the fans mind as years pass. What the team name and logo represent, is for current and future generation of Heart supporters. It takes YEARS for a team to have a character. And that character requires a past. Something that we have little of. The team logo is just that for now: a logo. This with the years passing by - hopefully- will become an amblem and later a way of life and to some a religious picture. That's how it is. We DO NOT change somethnig becauue of "some" people. We do not change something because it doesn't look good to some. Logos and names must remain as intended, and those logos and name will either cause fear,respect or laughs in the future, due to the football and not the way it "sounds" and/or "looks".

• Like 1

Why is the name and logo an issue for some?? These things grow into the fans mind as years pass. What the team name and logo represent, is for current and future generation of Heart supporters. It takes YEARS for a team to have a character. And that character requires a past. Something that we have little of. The team logo is just that for now: a logo. This with the years passing by - hopefully- will become an amblem and later a way of life and to some a religious picture. That's how it is. We DO NOT change somethnig becauue of "some" people. We do not change something because it doesn't look good to some. Logos and names must remain as intended, and those logos and name will either cause fear,respect or laughs in the future, due to the football and not the way it "sounds" and/or "looks".

I think the reason it means so much to people (I know that it means a lot to me) is that the name and badge of a club should be representative of its foundations, what we stand for, why we exist. The thinking that "its a rubbish name, but we will get used to it and it will hopefully grow to mean something one day" worries me. Is that what this club means to people?

To me, we represent optimism, acceptance, loyalty and forward thinking- everything Melbourne as a city and community stands for. I do not think our current name and badge represent any of these things. If people are happy to say "well thats our name, I have grown to accept it" then thats fine, but personally I think we deserve better. Something that really represents our club, its fans and its future.

...And if for no other reason, we should maybe look at changing it because having such a shit name could be acting as a deterrent for people to support us.

Thats my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

To me, we represent optimism, acceptance, loyalty and forward thinking- everything Melbourne as a city and community stands for. I do not think our current name and badge represent any of these things.

Interesting. I would have thought that of all the names put forward "Heart" could represent these aspects the best. I'm not sure how "city" or "sporting" represent these things.

Doesn't the heart represent optimism (love being the ultimate in optimism), acceptance (taking into your heart) and loyalty (love again)? And isn't the modern logo forward thinking?

I appreciate there is a bit of cheesiness associate with "heart" but the intentions are right.

This is true. Most of those things could come under the banner of course"heart" when used in that context but they rarely are. Even by the club. It is a tacky name chosen because it can be used for loads of puns and makes marketing department's job easier if they can work it into promos and products.

Personally i don't think city or sporting, etc are right either.

Melbernians is my preference.

Edited by KSK_47

Made this going off the Flinders clocks suggestion.

gober.jpgI don't live in Melbourne so I don't know if Flinders is what a Melburnian thinks of when seeing the clock. Badge doesn't work without that. Please comment if you like it or not, I plan to create my own fantasy league of emblems and This could the first. :)

On the name Heart:

Seven years ago I didn't much care for Roar. I dreamed of the possibility that we could come to a deal with the Afl and just be the Lions. Now though if you othered me Lions instead of Roar I'd slap you. If you offered me City or AFC Id kick you. If the name was changed in any way other than Brisbane Roar GCE (greatest club ever) id have a breakdown. Trust me, don't try to fight the name and your Hearts will eventually warm to it. (pun indended)

As for colors you have the second best combination.

Cheers. :D

IMHO it just doesn't make business sense for Heart to change any of its 'identifiers' at this stage. It's proving difficult enough for us to establish ourselves as it is. If we change anything we'll just look like any other 'expansion club.'

Minor evolutionary changes such as stripe width on shirts and so on are OK, but major changes would just put us back at Square One again.

FWIW IMO 'Melbourne Heart' is the best name that we could have chosen. Names such as 'City' or 'United' are just so boringly Anglo, and personally I can't stand these quasi-American names such as 'Glory', 'Jets', 'Mariners', 'Victory', 'Roar' etc. Yes, of course we get those awful 'heart' puns, but that makes easy copy for sub-editors and we need all the good publicity we can get.

By far our major focus has to be delivering better on the pitch, especially at AAMI, rather than tinkering with peripherals.

• 2 months later...

change name to Melburnians F.C.

colours are perfect, logo needs to have a more traditional feel.

i like the bat nickname, taking it as a reference to the crazy amount of bats we have in the city gardens.

however don't have a bat in the logo or have bat in the official name of the club, have it as a nickname for the club

eg. "Toffees" for Everton, "Red Devils" for Man U and "Gunners" for Arsenal.

european style is the way to go, don't need to americanise everything. especially football.

*i actually think having the bat on the logo wouldn't be that bad unless it is done in this way. i like how it is kind of an outside part of the logo and not a major focus. something like this would be sick.

post-2742-0-70854000-1340629629_thumb.gi

• Like 3