Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart: The name, the colours & the logo - Are you happy with it?

FB.

151 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the name Melbourne Heart?

• Yes
    • No

The name is an absolute embarrassment. I cringe every time I say it, which doesn't help built a decent reputation or supporter base.

Love the red & white but the latest charcoal kit gave the team a much ballsier image. I'd be keen to see that adopted as a traditional home strip while the club's still young and any red & white combination they would like to come up with for the away strip each year.

Give the team some grunt.

• Like 1

In terms of nicknames, steer clear of anything that has been used before in other codes...if the club became known as the bloods, we would ALWAYS be talked about in the same breath as the Swans. I like The Red & Whites or the Red Stripes....simple.

Red Legs, mate.

thats the unofficial nickname of the Melbourne Demons.... actually like it though haha

Love the red & white but the latest charcoal kit gave the team a much ballsier image. I'd be keen to see that adopted as a traditional home strip while the club's still young and any red & white combination they would like to come up with for the away strip

:hmm:

In terms of nicknames, steer clear of anything that has been used before in other codes...if the club became known as the bloods, we would ALWAYS be talked about in the same breath as the Swans. I like The Red & Whites or the Red Stripes....simple.

Red Legs, mate.

thats the unofficial nickname of the Melbourne Demons.... actually like it though haha

Haha, I think Cadete was the one who suggested it initially, but not many were attracted to it.

It seems to have stuck in my head, although I was an advocate of "don't rush a nickname", etc..

• 11 months later...

Bump.

Intresting read.

70% of posters here were happy with the name 'Heart'.

Also many other posters with positions saying they liked the name, who have now changed and want us to be called 'city' since the takeover has happened.

The nickname can be kept and continue to be used. Nobody probably knew that Freo had to officially not call themselves 'Dockers' for over 10 years due to copyright issues with Levi Jeans because the supporters continued to refer to the team in that way (the copyright issue eventually got sorted out a few years ago). If we're worried about carrying over our history to the new phase, then the clubs nickname is one thing that is completely in our hands.

Once the colours go however they are gone for good, thats a much bigger issue for me.

Bump.

Intresting read.

70% of posters here were happy with the name 'Heart'.

Also many other posters with positions saying they liked the name, who have now changed and want us to be called 'city' since the takeover has happened.

Love the colours.

Hate the name. I would hope in the years to come that the club slowly evolves away from it.

Meh to the Logo.

Happy to say my position hasn't changed.

Was thinking about our away kit. If the scenario comes up that we keep Red & white stripes, our away kit should remain mostly white. With a bit of red and a bit of sky blue (if we keep red and white then I have no problem with a little sky blue on the away kit. Compromise) Actually wouldn't look too bad if it was one of these kits. Obviously with the colours updated.

ac-milan-white-away-shirt-2011-12.jpg

11-12-Inter-Milan-away-White-football-sh

Edited by dRoy
  • Like 1

Yeah. Opinion is still the same. Hate the name, lukewarm about the logo and happy with the colours because melbournes flag is red and white.

I did mention that I didn't think we shouldn't be called city because it was trying too hard to be like an English team, but obviously if we are now owned by city that name has relevance.

Although I did say in the other thread I wouldn't mind if the colours changed, I think red and white should stay.

Edited by KSK_47

The fact we are owned by the same owner, does not tie us geographically or historically at all! City have sky blue for a reason, read the history on it etc.

People suggesting colour change to me sound like they are talking out of their ass, and if it happens then its fkn bullshit. Nothing ties us and city, apart from being bought by the same Owner, who arent manchester born and bred, so it really pisses me off to see suggestions we're just going to be City mkII, this clubs should have its own meaning and identity.

• Like 1

I like 'Heart'. Unlike most of the other A-League teams, it's not an obvious ripoff of a European club (perhaps Hearts was an inspiration, but it's not a particularly obvious one to the casual soccer supporter), or a boring/obvious nothing name like 'Victory' or 'Glory'. At the time, it could have been seen as being an extension of the club's vision of what it was going to represent. Unfortunately, it's become an embarrassment and ironic, due to the failures on the park. And it's almost certainly going to be gone within a few months. I still think the reasoning behind it at the time was sound and I like it so much more than a ripoff of a club that's been around for 100+ years. We're not 100+ years old and to try to manufacture that history instead of doing our own thing will usually just look contrived and tacky (though, credit where it's due, WSW went in that direction and absolutely nailed it - the logo that is, 'Wanderers'...not so much). And I can't imagine many things more cringeworthy than going with a foreign language team's name, that doesn't make a lot of sense in an English-speaking country (Real Melbourne, Melbourne Dynamo, even FC Melbourne). It's a forgone conclusion now that we will be Melbourne City FC, but I would have been happy for us to continue to do our own thing.

I think the logo could be improved, but the interlocking 'MH' and the shape is quite clever. Maybe, as others have suggested, it just needs to have a round border. And the only issue I see with the red and white stripes is more a league-wide issue, that there's probably too many striped teams going around. Not enough of a reason for us to change, IMO.

Edited by SF33

The fact we are owned by the same owner, does not tie us geographically or historically at all! City have sky blue for a reason, read the history on it etc.

People suggesting colour change to me sound like they are talking out of their ass, and if it happens then its fkn bullshit. Nothing ties us and city, apart from being bought by the same Owner, who arent manchester born and bred, so it really pisses me off to see suggestions we're just going to be City mkII, this clubs should have its own meaning and identity.

This is my perspective on things. And as I have said before this is just my view.

I, like a lot of others on here have been here since the day dot (and even if you have not been here from the beginning- that does not make this club any more mine than yours by the way). Every single day we have watched our club be ridiculed, bullied and basically shat on from just about every part of the footballing community outside of Heart.  For lots of us saying you are a Heart supporter was almost something to be ashamed of. And the people whose job it was to protect us (the people who owned and ran the club) sat back and let it happen. Worse, they made decisions that contributed to it. All the things that we were supposed to be able to hold our head up and be proud of never happened. Not even close.

So now City have come along and are going to transform us into something we can actually be proud of. Basically, I honestly think they have saved us from going under. So, yes, I do feel that our ties to the City brand go far beyond just having the same owners. In fact I believe I am going to be eternally grateful for what they do.

For me and many others the past week has been so overwhelming that I dont think most of us have actually come to terms with what has happened (i know i have not at anyway) . Its like watching someone you love be bullied for years. Seeing them kicked and punched every day by a group of older kids while their bigger friend does nothing. Then all of a sudden a grown up comes along and sorts it all out. Takes them under their wing and shows them how the real word operates. 

So when people say they are happy to compromise and make changes I think its out of respect and gratefulness.

Like I say. I dont think I even know what my opinion is right now. I have still yet to come to terms with this 

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 5

I wanted FC Melbourne with the nick name "the Heart' then I start spouting shit about transformers or something. Either way FC Melbourne or Heart of Melbourne or Melbourne City 'the heart' would still be my pick if I was making my own club on football manager or something. 

Edited by thedukeofhearts

I, like a lot of others on here have been here since the day dot (and even if you have not been here from the beginning- that does not make this club any more mine than yours by the way). Every single day we have watched our club be ridiculed, bullied and basically shat on from just about every part of the footballing community outside of Heart.  For lots of us saying you are a Heart supporter was almost something to be ashamed of. And the people whose job it was to protect us (the people who owned and ran the club) sat back and let it happen. Worse, they made decisions that contributed to it. All the things that we were supposed to be able to hold our head up and be proud of never happened. Not even close.

So now City have come along and are going to transform us into something we can actually be proud of. Basically, I honestly think they have saved us from going under. So, yes, I do feel that our ties to the City brand go far beyond just having the same owners. In fact I believe I am going to be eternally grateful for what they do.

For me and many others the past week has been so overwhelming that I dont think most of us have actually come to terms with what has happened (i know i have not at anyway) . Its like watching someone you love be bullied for years. Seeing them kicked and punched every day by a group of older kids while their bigger friend does nothing. Then all of a sudden a grown up comes along and sorts it all out. Takes them under their wing and shows them how the real word operates. 

So when people say they are happy to compromise and make changes I think its out of respect and gratefulness.

Like I say. I dont think I even know what my opinion is right now. I have still yet to come to terms with this 

Very well put. You only have to look on Facebook and a few message boards to see the fear in the Victory supporters already. Getting the standard 'ladder position', 'crowd numbers/members' potshots in now, because they can see as well as anyone that those sentiments are likely to be no longer relevant to our club in the very near future. So they're reduced to talking about our club losing any semblance of its previous identity, an identity that they've steadfastly maintained that the club has never had.

It's an absolute game-changer and no-one is more aware of that than Victory supporters.

It's funny, I got a singlet out from my wardrobe this morning and I looked at all my melbourne heart stuff, I personally don't think I can go through all this change eg name colors etc....

I've grown in the past 4 years to Love, live and breath this club and they have given me (us) nothing in return bar a 5 game winning streak 1 finals appearance and a couple of good wins against Victroy.

I thought about it really hard today, but as much as the wasted merchandise (money) and those cock suckers bagging us saying our club has folded etc ( which it clearly hasn't ) I think this is exactly what we need.

Finally we are going to see the best players come to our club, young and old...

Finally we are going to see goals.

Finally we are going to attract more fans and members.

And finally we will be a genuine threat to the comp.

I'm just so upset we weren't able to do this with Melbourne Heart.

So what ever the change (I hope we keep our home top) I'm going to embrace it, this is the new chapter and we can look forward to the brightest future. I've been there since that first friendly against Everton and I'll always be there. (How strange our first game as Melbourne City will be back at etihad)

I really do hope however the City board will listen to exactly what the fans want.

• Like 1

I agree, I love the colours...

However, I would have preferred Melbourne City FC or AFC Melbourne (Association Football Club).

With the possible nickname of 'the Bats' or 'red legs'.

As for the 'Logo', it is exactly that - a corporate style logo. I would have much preferred a proper football-style badge, possibly a roundel, as no-one in the league had that.

Reply 1 from said thread, opinion still stands...

However, being nicknamed 'The Heart(s)' is extremely relevant now.

Edited by LR9

City fans got the whole "losing your soul" stuff as well, still do on the odd occasion. It's nothing more than jealousy and fear.

For me the soul and identity of a football club is only found in one place and that's the stands. As long as the supporters don't forget where they have come from, and new supporters are educated in what the club is all about, soul and identity is a very difficult thing to remove from a football club.

As a long time NMFC supporter I've been through name changes, one off colour changes (orange and white guernsey), potential mergers, home games being played interstate, and permanent relocation and the last one was the only one that I thought meant that the club would have lost it's soul/identity.But that's just me and I know others have felt differently about how each of those changes affected their feelings about the club.

If changes end up being made I guess each of you will have your own decisions to make. But to suggest that the soul or identity of the club has been lost before a single change has been made is just wishful thinking bollocks.

• Like 3

Name: I like Heart but am content with a change to Melbourne City FC, as long as our nickname still remains Heart(s) (ala the Potters, the Toffees, Red Devils etc.)

Colours: Non-negotiable, we must remain red and white and it should always be predominant. As others have stated, I agree that the away kit can be sky blue if it must.

Logo: It's a bit cheesy but I don't mind it too much, wouldn't be too distressed if we rebranded our logo.

• Like 2