Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart: The name, the colours & the logo - Are you happy with it?

FB.

151 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the name Melbourne Heart?

• Yes
    • No

I have always thought the logo is passable but as far as representing the football club goes it falls a bit flat. This is my re-design of my local Ballarat Red Devils football club which is being put to a vote soon according to the president of the club. Obviously a professional rendering is in need but its the ideas that come from the fans that begin any momentum towards a new image.

Red-Devils-Ballarat-2010-Logo.png

To this

BRDlogo_zpsec5ef919.png

A new logo seems to be the general consensus on here. Something representing a football club and what we stand for but simple enough to be easily recognised and used.

Edited by imonyarraside

Yeah definitely in need of a new logo as I think most others agree. I've always been of the idea of changing the name to "Heart of Melbourne", replicating "Heart of Aberdeen". I think this can help with the clubs target areas as it can represent anyone, rather than just appealing to northern or South East suburbs for example.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Yeah definitely in need of a new logo as I think most others agree. I've always been of the idea of changing the name to "Heart of Melbourne", replicating "Heart of Aberdeen". I think this can help with the clubs target areas as it can represent anyone, rather than just appealing to northern or South East suburbs for example.

Its Heart Of Midlothian, not Aberdeen and is called that because of historical significance to Edinburgh. Us replicating that would not make any sense.

• 1 month later...

Thought the Batman banner last night was clever. Maybe we should look to incorporate the Bats back into the club in some way. In the future I'd love it to be FC Melbourne Heart with the unoffical nickname of Bats.

I don't know what people's attitudes are to continuing another teams nick name but

IMO I've always loved the nickname south Melbourne used 'The Bloods' and think its a perfect fit for us.

' it's died now really because they are Sydney now but I thought Melbourne heart could not take it over but 'continue' it considering its relevance to the club name anyway. We could create themes how we are the life blood of melbourne etc etc. we could even use it to tap into the south Melboure supporter base (considering we use the same colours) if we position it as continuing the bloods name within Melbourne instead of 'high jacking' it.

I don't know what everyone else thinks of it, I just think it's a great nickname that we should adopt.

I'm also a huge fan of the current logo but if it were more rectilinear I think it would look better

Edited by Dylan

Thought the Batman banner last night was clever. Maybe we should look to incorporate the Bats back into the club in some way. In the future I'd love it to be FC Melbourne Heart with the unoffical nickname of Bats.

I don't know what people's attitudes are to continuing another teams nick name but

IMO I've always loved the nickname south Melbourne used 'The Bloods' and think its a perfect fit for us.

' it's died now really because they are Sydney now but I thought Melbourne heart could not take it over but 'continue' it considering its relevance to the club name anyway. We could create themes how we are the life blood of melbourne etc etc. we could even use it to tap into the south Melboure supporter base (considering we use the same colours) if we position it as continuing the bloods name within Melbourne instead of 'high jacking' it.

I don't know what everyone else thinks of it, I just think it's a great nickname that we should adopt.

I'm also a huge fan of the current logo but if it were more rectilinear I think it would look better

As a proud Cripp I reject this notion.

• Like 1

I can also see some merit in this nickname as well... makes sense considering both our shirt and our name.

As a Swans supporter obviously I love that nickname, but I still see it being used all the time in relation to the Swans, so it would probably be seen as stealing/copying.

Good idea though ;)

I too am a Swan supporter and I like the notion. Since the current South Melbourne FC has pretty much nothing to do with the Bloods (apart from playing at their old stadium, mind you, it's not even Lakeside Oval any more, it's Lakeside Stadium), I reckon Heart can bring back the nickname. I just hope the Bloods/Swans fans don't think we're stealing, but reviving it and feel good about the "Bloods" living on as a football club :)

Also, it's not only the colours Heart has in common with the Bloods, our away strip is in fact exactly the same as what the South Melbourne Bloods wore back in the VFA/VFL. The Bloods wore the red sash before switching to the red "V".

In addition, although I don't dislike the nickname "The Bats", I don't think anyone makes any connection to John Batman or the species of bats either. Also, bats are black...though the carnivorous ones do drink blood, which is red! lol

Regarding the nickname "Bloods", Olympiacos are also nicknamed "erythrolefkoi" where erythro = red, lefkoi = whites, so the "red whites".

In English "Erythro" (mainly in medicine) is a term mainly used in relation to blood, since it's red, so there's another supportive argument for the unofficial nickname for Heart to be "The Bloods".

Someone make a banner "Go Bloods" or similar and take it to the game against Sydney FC (where more Swan supporters may be watching) and see what comes of it B)

Why the fuck is this thread being bumped? Seriously ffs.

No nicknames, the bloods is a name already taken by a notorious gang in the states.

/thread

So you think we should call our club "Melbourne Heart" or "Heart" for eternity?

Sounds just a little boring to me. :rolleyes:

Also I know for a fact that South Melbourne, West Adelaide, Old Haileybury plus any number of other footy clubs used the "Bloods" nickname long before some stupid street gang. :up:

• Like 1

Why the fuck is this thread being bumped? Seriously ffs.

No nicknames, the bloods is a name already taken by a notorious gang in the states.

/thread

So you think we should call our club "Melbourne Heart" or "Heart" for eternity?

Sounds just a little boring to me. :rolleyes:

Also I know for a fact that South Melbourne, West Adelaide, Old Haileybury plus any number of other footy clubs used the "Bloods" nickname long before some stupid street gang. :up:

Haha, oh yeah - I should've known about Old Haileybury since I played for them a couple of years ago! lol

In addition, although I don't dislike the nickname "The Bats", I don't think anyone makes any connection to John Batman or the species of bats either. Also, bats are black...though the carnivorous ones do drink blood, which is red! lol

Regarding the nickname "Bloods", Olympiacos are also nicknamed "erythrolefkoi" where erythro = red, lefkoi = whites, so the "red whites".

In English "Erythro" (mainly in medicine) is a term mainly used in relation to blood, since it's red, so there's another supportive argument for the unofficial nickname for Heart to be "The Bloods".

Someone make a banner "Go Bloods" or similar and take it to the game against Sydney FC (where more Swan supporters may be watching) and see what comes of it B)

I think the banner MHFC 'THE BLOODS' might work a bit better.

Another reason I suggested it is because I see alot of people on here designing logos which are more older fashioned, which I think is to try and get a bit of heritage, pedigree and history into the club because we are a young club with a modern name and logo and I think the nick name 'the bloods' adds this element as well, plus it just fits nicely with the name the colours and the whole idea of 'continuing the name' from another Melbourne club.

Plus I think Yarraside in unison chanting Bloods would sound good too :P

Why?

What is wrong with Red or Dead's comments about expanding our young club's Supporter Culture?

Nothing wrong. The issue is trying to force a nickname. Let it come in our history, 3 years doesn't provide anything.

Suggesting a name issnt forcing.

If a poster had never suggested "So Happy Together" on this forum because it was forced idea, then we never would had made our most significant gain in est. Supporter Culture both this Season and in our club's short history?

Suggesting a name for something that already has one is an idea devoid of utility however.

Even my AFL team has more than two nicknames...

Edited by cadete

Why?

What is wrong with Red or Dead's comments about expanding our young club's Supporter Culture?

Nothing wrong. The issue is trying to force a nickname. Let it come in our history, 3 years doesn't provide anything.

How will it come if no one suggests it? If someone wants to hold up a banner at the game with "MHFC BLOODS" then I say, let them express themselves :)

Or maybe a banner with the Heart logo and the words, " :wub: Pumping Blood to Melbourne" or " :wub: Pumping Melburnians' Blood" - or something not so tacky? hehe

Or phase it in with, "Yarraside Bleeds for :wub: "??

slight sidetrack...the bloods name has some historical ties to the anzacs and melbourne, or victoria as a whole.

The 8th battalion AIF was nicknamed the bloods, or blood and bandages and had the unit colours of red and white. highly decorated unit with gallipoli and france battle honours.

so from that perspective, lets embrace the bloods nickname and start annual remembrance day games against wellington :)

• Like 2

Getting rid of the speaker from the active bay would be a great start towards being different to the visitors.

And every other club in the world.

our megaphone isnt loud enough THATS the problem.

Close thread.

But, how much do you need?

Surely we can upgrade if we pitch in a few notes!

• Like 1

slight sidetrack...the bloods name has some historical ties to the anzacs and melbourne, or victoria as a whole.

The 8th battalion AIF was nicknamed the bloods, or blood and bandages and had the unit colours of red and white. highly decorated unit with gallipoli and france battle honours.

so from that perspective, lets embrace the bloods nickname and start annual remembrance day games against wellington :)

Done! Although The 11th of November in 2013 falls on a Monday :unsure:

...start annual remembrance day games against wellington :)

IMO that is just about the best idea I've seen on this forum and I think it would resonate perfectly with the Wellington club and supporters. Could start with one minute's silence to remember the fallen. Those attending the match could be encouraged to wear poppies. Etc. etc.

That's the way to distinguish this club from the others. Resonate with the wider community not just about football.

Dare I suggest you e-mail Scott Munn with the idea?

• Like 2

And every AFL team is also currently being investigated for the use of peptide and other substances.....

Yes, and this is so very relevant... :up:

So Happy Together is very different to naming, or nicknaming a club.

How? Nicknames for Clubs have to come from somewhere... almost always from their supporters believe it or not... :up:

And from memory, was the naming of the club open to the public at the formation?

You do realise that you dont have call your football club by is registered name... :hmm:

Edited by cadete

IMO that is just about the best idea I've seen on this forum and I think it would resonate perfectly with the Wellington club and supporters. Could start with one minute's silence to remember the fallen. Those attending the match could be encouraged to wear poppies. Etc. etc. That's the way to distinguish this club from the others. Resonate with the wider community not just about football. Dare I suggest you e-mail Scott Munn with the idea?

Yeah i will email club and flag it to them.

We could make the remembrance day game a standout fixture, and it doesnt matter if it falls on a monday or mid week, we'd play it and it would probably be the only professional sport being played in aus that day. with midweek games being night fixtures.

The concept would be respectful, could become a highlight fixture of our season and put would put Heart & phoenix & HAL in the spotlight. Give a couple of corp boxes to ex serviceman clubs etc etc..... worth a crack at making it something special.

I'll let you know shall i get a response from the club.

• Like 3

IMO that is just about the best idea I've seen on this forum and I think it would resonate perfectly with the Wellington club and supporters. Could start with one minute's silence to remember the fallen. Those attending the match could be encouraged to wear poppies. Etc. etc. That's the way to distinguish this club from the others. Resonate with the wider community not just about football. Dare I suggest you e-mail Scott Munn with the idea?
Yeah i will email club and flag it to them. We could make the remembrance day game a standout fixture, and it doesnt matter if it falls on a monday or mid week, we'd play it and it would probably be the only professional sport being played in aus that day. with midweek games being night fixtures. The concept would be respectful, could become a highlight fixture of our season and put would put Heart & phoenix & HAL in the spotlight. Give a couple of corp boxes to ex serviceman clubs etc etc..... worth a crack at making it something special. I'll let you know shall i get a response from the club.

And not to mention a big frikken red and white banner with the anzac symbol in the middle draped over yarraside would send shivers down my spine!