Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

FWIW, didulica replied to a tweet saying that the 'African' player he mentioned was not Gol Gol. Also said Gray hasn't been signed but said he has been very impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if the club waits until he plays a few pre-season matches before making a decision on him.

I've developed a theory on the Gray signing.

The club wants Hamill and Good to start next season.

They sought an experienced defender who has played overseas tohelp with their development.

This player needed to be on the minimum wage, because he would be nothing more than a squad player.

Sorry, but that is the only reason I could think of.

Also, digging the shrewd purchases of Foster and Gerhardt, if true.

Let's just wait and see, alot of people wrote Wellington off last year but they showed buying smart can work.

or having Paul Ifill ;)

as for the international signings, we can assume that one of them holds some kind of dual-citizenship and will not take up a visa

spot seeing as JD listed 4. We can pretty much confirm that our international/visa players are finalized

What's interesting is that he mentioned the club is searching for a number 9, so should we expect another striker on top of these internationals? Would be happy if thats the case

http://mhfcindex.com...rap-up-june-21/

Football operations manager John Didulica today revealed that the new squad make up would be “unlike anything seen in the league before”, providing a “cosmopolitan flavor”, with players hailing from North America, Europe, Eastern Europe and Africa.

Is it such a good thing mixing so many different cultures? Surely it can only hurt team chemistry with breakdowns in comunication, etc.

This article also says there are 6 signings left to be made (or 7 if Good leaves)

- Eastern Euro DM

- Steven Gray

- Nate Foster (maybe?)

- North African attacker/forward

- Golgol Mebrahtu

- Center Forward

I saw Didulica tweeted today that he was 'searching earnestly now for a 9', which one would assume would have to be an Aussie or Aussie citizen.

Who is there of any quality available? I cant think of any from the HAL, and they'd want a starting 11 type presumably, so that probably rules out the lower leagues.

Only few i can think of, that might return to Aus this season are:

- Scotty Mac, didn't win promotion, again - a long shot,

- Joel Griffiths, now behind Drogba, Anelka - maybe a chance,

- Brent McGrath, at Brondby - could make a fantastic signing,

- Richard Garcia, released from Hull, always injured, not really a striker, pretty crap,

- Max Vieri, LOL!,

- or they might magically pull of the signing of Richard Porta.

Edit: Richard Cardozo could be a shout, however I think he's just made a move to Carlos Hernandez's Indian team.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 2

Interesting to read here http://www.footballa...-round-up/47831 about how the other clubs are doing with their squads.

Should really be looking at Musialik. Quality A-League DM, just doubt we could afford him as he would demand a bit. Should wait until August when he will have no club and the season will be approaching. Hopefully then he would take a decent cut.

Should also approach Labinot Haliti as previously mentioned in this thread. Would take close to minimum wage and would be a good bench player.

Would also take Cazarine in a heartbeat. I honestly rated him last season as the best forward in the A-League next to Berisha & Smeltz, creates a load of chances every game and gets others involved. Quality Centre Forward IMO.

Should really be looking at Musialik. Quality A-League DM, just doubt we could afford him as he would demand a bit. Should wait until August when he will have no club and the season will be approaching. Hopefully then he would take a decent cut.

Would be a completely stupid move considering we just had Srhoj.

Srhoj >>>>>>>>>> Musialik.

Obviously releasing Srhoj, I have high hopes for our new DM - and Musialik doesn't fit the bill.

Would be a completely stupid move considering we just had Srhoj.

Srhoj >>>>>>>>>> Musialik.

Obviously releasing Srhoj, I have high hopes for our new DM - and Musialik doesn't fit the bill.

Musialik 2 A-League Championships to Shroj's 0.

Musialik would also cover more ground than Shroj and is just as good on the ball.

Don't know why he didn't play last season but if we can get him on a close to minimum wage it would be a great buy. Can't think of any non-Visa DM's better than him.

Would rather a more complete DM than Srhoj and Musialik, someone with a strong physical and aerial presence who can pass the ball. Srhoj fits none of those categories and Musialik lacks the physical side of his game, although would be a good squad filler, as he was on very minimal wages last season at CCM

Would rather a more complete DM than Srhoj and Musialik, someone with a strong physical and aerial presence who can pass the ball. Srhoj fits none of those categories and Musialik lacks the physical side of his game, although would be a good squad filler, as he was on very minimal wages last season at CCM

Although Musialik isn't tall timber nor an aerial threat, he is a quality ball winner/tackler at A-League standard.

It seems pretty stupid now to waste a VISA spot on Gray, don't you think?

Plenty of 'experienced' CBs available in the VPL and even a couple that have been released from HAL clubs.

A complete Aussie striker is much harder to find.

Only available former HAL striker (who's an Aussie) I think of is Chris Paine, such a talent but no commitment.

• Like 1

The Gray situation is so mystifying that i only hope the suggestion that we have him around for training experience for Hamill/Good but wont sign him, must be true. 30yr VPL Visa.... come on.

If that's where were at, just give Shroj what he wants. He was actually pretty solid towards the end of the season... same not to be said about Thompson. Hopefully Thommo was still injured and rushed back.... if its the start of his decline, then were in trouble.

Was the player wearing the skins (not named Germano) in the Four Four Two pictures the LIberian guy?

It seems pretty stupid now to waste a VISA spot on Gray, don't you think?

If JD is being quoted correctly, and unless the club has forgotten the rules on visa players, something has to give and one of the four geographical areas mentioned in the 'cosmopolitan' flavour of the new Heart has to yield a player who has Australian citizenship or residency or is an AFC player. Four into three doesn't go.

I have to agree with you LR. Gray will surely only play second fiddle to Colosimo, so why on earth use a visa spot on him? It doesn't fit with any of the previous statements on getting the right overseas players and using the visa allocation wisely.

Gray will be 31 on 17th October, and according to Wiki he last played senior football back in 2010 when his season was wrecked by an achilles injury.

Why have we seemingly set our sights on him?

The Gray situation is so mystifying that i only hope the suggestion that we have him around for training experience for Hamill/Good but wont sign him, must be true. 30yr VPL Visa.... come on.

If that's where were at, just give Shroj what he wants. He was actually pretty solid towards the end of the season... same not to be said about Thompson. Hopefully Thommo was still injured and rushed back.... if its the start of his decline, then were in trouble.

Was the player wearing the skins (not named Germano) in the Four Four Two pictures the LIberian guy?

That looks like Aziz to me.

You mean Aziz Behich?

20120621091853_146612513_10.jpg

Thats Gray in the middle there (no 24), behind him is a Melbourne boy called Ross Honos, he's in his 30s and has played in the lower leagues in Greece for over 10 years. He would also come to us on minimum wage, looks fit as fuck bigger then Gray and we all know how strong Greeks can be defensively. WONT TAKE UP A VISA SPOT.

JD's reasoning was that his 'experience' is vital to the team. I also think the club plan on playing him if/when Colosimo is injured. JD tweeted, "reviewing last season, was clear that [Hamill and Good] played far better with an experienced player next to them [eg. Madaschi and Colosimo]."

Edit: JD just mad a tweet saying 'we have foreign spots left', in regards to a new striker...? I'm so confused :lol:

Edited by LR9

it's obvious that Hamill/Good play better with an experienced CB next to them. I think it was always going to be difficult signing another experienced CB because they would pretty much have to be content with not always getting picked in the squad, seeing as we will almost always play with one of the young CB's with the other one most likely being on the bench.

I can see the logic in signing a CB from the VPL because they won't have big expectations in how much gametime they will get. We basically needed an experienced 'backup' that is very much capable of doing the job if/when colosimo is injured. Being from the VPL we could probably get him fairly cheap which is perfect.

Seeing that Gray has been "very impressive" I have no problem with the club signing him as I trust their judgement, but it's just unfortunate that a 'backup' has to take up a visa spot which we know are very valuable.

Hope we get Nikolai Topor-Stanley. Pretty much a perfect fit with Hamill/Good. Would also appease Hendo.

Add Marcos Flores, and Joel Griffiths. One word can sum this XI up: Fuarkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Redmayne

Marrone - Topor-Stanley - Good - Behich

Germano

Fred - Flores

Dugandzic - Griffiths - Roff Roff.