Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

Don't expect increased crowds this year with those signings.

Absolutely. What I see is a disconnect between the words and actions (or inactions) from Heart HQ.

Remember this from JA on 9th May?

'New Head Coach John Aloisi has made the recruitment of a midfield enforcer his number one priority after taking over the reins of Melbourne Heart FC yesterday....

"Our sitting midfield, our No.6 that controls a game, can break up a game when opposition gets on top of you, is a key position we’re looking for at the moment."

With three visa spots available, Aloisi said Heart will certainly look abroad in its search for the necessary spark to catapult the Red and White to the next level.

“We're looking at a few players. We need to make sure the foreigners we pick up are the right ones. We are hoping by the start of pre-season in June our squad will be full,” he said.

IMO it was reasonable for supporters to take those words at their face value, and to expect that by now there would be some evidence of some quality signings.

Edited by jw1739

We've obviously been talking to player agents about international signings. But for whatever reason, players haven't been prepared to sign yet. As far as I know, all signings in the league so far have been GC players finding new homes and a few players moving between A League clubs. Other clubs are looking to sign internationals also, (Victory and WS at least) but I don't think anyone has yet. It would appear that for whatever reason, it's difficult to close the deals right now.

Two points about this. 1 - it's probably holding up other signings because it would make sense to organise our bigger international signings first before we fill the rest of the squad with whatever locals we'll need.

2 - I've got no problem at all with the club not leaking or telegraphing who we're talking to and how those negotiations are going. I don't want other clubs knowing who we're talking to. We missed out on Solorzano last year when Victory made a last minute offer. Keeping negotiations secret is important in my opinion.

So you're all just going to have to be patient and suck it up. Let's just hope when the signings happen, they're good ones.

Edited by Sash

Pretty much, don't raise your expectations to highly.

I'm expecting something like:

GK: Bolton, Redmayne

DF: Marrone, Behich, Colosimo, Hamill, Good, Steven Gray

MF: Fred, Thompson, Kalmar, Germano, Hofman, Glen Trifiro, International Defensive Mid

FWD: Williams, Dugandzic, Golgol Mebrahtu, Nate Foster, Local or Int Forward

Pretty much, don't raise your expectations to highly.

I'm expecting something like:

GK: Bolton, Redmayne

DF: Marrone, Behich, Colosimo, Hamill, Good, Steven Gray

MF: Fred, Thompson, Kalmar, Germano, Hofman, Glen Trifiro, International Defensive Mid

FWD: Williams, Dugandzic, Golgol Mebrahtu, Nate Foster, Local or Int Forward

not good enough to win the league tbh

Does anyone know if clubs have to spend a certain amount of the salary cap? In the AFL, clubs have to spend at least 92.5% or something like that.

If that's the case, we still have room for at least couple of good signings I would've thought.

Does anyone know if clubs have to spend a certain amount of the salary cap? In the AFL, clubs have to spend at least 92.5% or something like that.

If that's the case, we still have room for at least couple of good signings I would've thought.

i think its 85%

Really? Source? Or was it only regarding Vedran Janjetkovic yes, who says we did make an offer, we may have just taken him to Hawaii, and that doesn't concern me if we did make him an offer as he was at Sydney FC youth previously.

Edited by DutchPride

we made offers/were in talk with halloran, vidosic, manny muscat, Daniel (from Wellington), Goodwin, and Madaschi

(not sure if I'm missing anyone) and none of them signed. I really viewed this off season as a massive opportunity for us to build a title winning squad, and I'm feeling less confident as every day goes by and more players are heading to western Sydney and finding other clubs, while we haven't heard ANYTHING about who we're targetting since aloisi was appointed as coach.

For example: Shannon cole was signed for 60k on a 1 year deal from west Sydney. That's nothing for a player of his quality and age. don't know why we didn't even consider someone like him tbh. I guess we're too interested in looking at Steven gray

Really? Source? Or was it only regarding Vedran Janjetkovic yes, who says we did make an offer, we may have just taken him to Hawaii, and that doesn't concern me if we did make him an offer as he was at Sydney FC youth previously.

Dutchy, I didn't say we made him an offer, just that we took him to Hawaii. The announcement is on the HAL web-site. Interpret my post as you wish, but seems to me we have some issues around our selection of goalkeepers.

we made offers/were in talk with halloran, vidosic, manny muscat, Daniel (from Wellington), Goodwin, and Madaschi

(not sure if I'm missing anyone) and none of them signed. I really viewed this off season as a massive opportunity for us to build a title winning squad, and I'm feeling less confident as every day goes by and more players are heading to western Sydney and finding other clubs, while we haven't heard ANYTHING about who we're targetting since aloisi was appointed as coach.

For example: Shannon cole was signed for 60k on a 1 year deal from west Sydney. That's nothing for a player of his quality and age. don't know why we didn't even consider someone like him tbh. I guess we're too interested in looking at Steven gray

We didn't make an offer to Madaschi, he arrived with an pre-existing contract to play in the K-League. Lucky for us there was a few months before he started there and we got him on that basis, as a short-term injury replacement. He indicated that he wanted to stay but he already had a contract that MH would have had to buy out as well as pay him a salary.

Halloran and Goodwin are good young players and I would've liked to sign. But Vidosic is contracted and Adelaide want to keep him, and Madaschi is contracted. Manny Muscat and Daniel are hardly players that will win a championship for us. Just because players are available doesn't mean we should be chasing them. If Sydney weren't prepared to offer Shannon Cole $60,000 to keep him, how good can he be?

Apart from Halloran and Thwaite, I'm not sure we've really missed out on much yet. The important signings that will make a difference next season will hopefully be 2 or 3 good overseas players that we've made space for by releasing Shroj, Terra, Worm and Maycon.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

I still have faith that the club can deliver. I really don't see the point in rushing into the market to make some signings to keep us happy (short term) over the offseason. I'd much rather a holistic approach that included a.) making sure the players are a fit for the club philosophy, b.) add to the club in someway both on and off the field (ie team mentality) and c.) we get these players on the right wage. If we really want to stick to our ideals and develop players I'm not expecting big names to flood in but a blend of experienced professionals who can ply their trade and pass it onto young talented players. We are still in our infancy and I'm expecting us to improve againt this season if we can recruit well.

p.s. looking forward to some signings and awaiting forum rage and rants.

• Like 1