Melbourne Football

Membership numbers and how to increase them

Torn Asunder

Hi,

We've decided to make an account for you guys to keep us honest and fair about Melbourne Football coverage.

Comments like these really do irk us. We're run by budding journos who have affiliations with both Melbourne clubs - two of which have written for melbourneheartfc.com.au.

We'll help advertise the upcoming Port Melbourne and Richmond games, as well as the clashes against Glory and United.

He's something we put on social media a couple of days ago.

602341_398916660165178_420262270_n.jpg

If you've got any recommendations, suggestions or things you hate, don't hesitate to let us know.

I withdraw my first comment then!

That's the universal ultras font...

lol ffs, not this again...

I thought it was a bad coincidence that font was used but if you intentionally used 'ultras font' for a Australian pre season friendly that's a bit sad tbh.

Which font would you prefer we use for our Richmond graphic?

Comic Sans.
  • Like 1

instead of bagging melbfootball, I think we should be saying WELCOME and THANK YOU for posting on our site, as they say 'any advertising is good advertising'

At least this way we can constructively direct them to how we would like our image to be seen ( have to agree about the font though).

Cheers.

We'll alter the Port Melbourne graphic prior to promotion.

I would like to apologe and thank mfootball for my comments before. As its shown been shown my first comment was completely wrong. I indorse Mfootball for what they are doing and after reading a couple of articles I can see they are a couple of great young journos that are bring the Melbourne public what other newspapers will not, which is great.

I just renewed today as well and was wondering the same thing. I just ended up paying the $215 which I think is the full price. It's probably some 'accidental' oversight. Might need to ring to get something done about it. I don't mind paying the full price, but little things like this shit me. It's like the $10 postage fee to receive a moderate size envelope. It's little things that most of us don't bother about, but the club seems to do knowingly in order to squeeze a little more out of everyone. Or maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist.

I just renewed today as well and was wondering the same thing. I just ended up paying the $215 which I think is the full price. It's probably some 'accidental' oversight. Might need to ring to get something done about it. I don't mind paying the full price, but little things like this shit me. It's like the $10 postage fee to receive a moderate size envelope. It's little things that most of us don't bother about, but the club seems to do knowingly in order to squeeze a little more out of everyone. Or maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist.

Sash, I renewed on 13 June and paid at last season's rate for Premium A. It all went through smoothly.

Looking at last season's brochure, you should have paid $195 for an adult GA membership if you were a GA member last season as well. if you change membership levels I'm going to guess that the discount doesn't apply.

Yes, the $10 postage and packing is a bit steep. It's actually 'per address', not per membership, so with two memberships at one address, or a family membership it's still just the $10. But still too much.

I would give the membership line a call first thing tomorrow if I were you.

Edited by jw1739

Sash, I renewed on 13 June and paid at last season's rate for Premium A. It all went through smoothly.

Looking at last season's brochure, you should have paid $195 for an adult GA membership if you were a GA member last season as well. if you change membership levels I'm going to guess that the discount doesn't apply.

Yes, the $10 postage and packing is a bit steep. It's actually 'per address', not per membership, so with two memberships at one address, or a family membership it's still just the $10. But still too much.

If you use there online portal using your id they would have sent you , it gives you last years price, or just call them and they will adjust the price to last years....

I rang yesterday and rejoined the family.

Actually, I did change my membership because I had a student concession last year so that's probably it. But I'm not going to bother. It's $20 bucks they can have to help break even and hopefully ensure the money from the transfers goes into the footbal department. I bought my niece a membership too, so that will be one more new member!

Edited by Sash

Actually, I did change my membership because I had a student concession last year so that's probably it. But I'm not going to bother. It's $20 bucks they can have to help break even and hopefully ensure the money from the transfers goes into the footbal department. I bought my niece a membership too, so that will be one more new member!

I changed mine as well. Dropped a mate from the family and added the wife - hence why i had to call them, still got last years price.

I'm still annoyed they didn't give what the promised last year for the team ticker thing for the kids , but re-signed up for that as well.

Hope they appreciate it [the club that is]

Friend of mine had to Email/phone the club last year to get their son on the picth as a mascot ( he was a Ticker member) and then he "won" a compertition and he got to run out 2nd to last game.

My son was lucky enough to play a game at half time and he was buzzing for about a week after.

• Like 1

Renewed (+3)- gone Active this year Bay 18.

Didn't want to go through the fiasco of the darby game again.

What, when the security moved our supporters out from where we sat week in, week out and replaced us with ring-ins and V*****y supporters just before kick off? I wrote a letter to Scott Munn outlining that the treatment of our members that night was appalling.

I will have to work out where we will sit/stand this year as there is no active family membership available and I am not sure if we will be able to access the lower area of Bay 18 with GA membership.

While I support having the third active bay, I hope it doesn't lead to us having an empty area. I have posted before that I would like to see the area deemed "active" and then leave it open to those who want to sit/stand in that area. This would allow members to move in/out of the area as they see fit. For example, with younger children, we like to sit near/at the edge of the active area so that we can join in with chants etc. yet avoid the physical element. I am not in favour of the sectioned off areas as it puts a divide among supporters.

What, when the security moved our supporters out from where we sat week in, week out and replaced us with ring-ins and V*****y supporters just before kick off? I wrote a letter to Scott Munn outlining that the treatment of our members that night was appalling.

Peter, if you are talking about the Derby in the New Year in relation to the treatment of members, then I'm pretty sure that there was more than adequate notification by the Club as to how GA Membership seating arrangements would work for the event. I received at least 5 emails from the Club, which I understood to be sent to all members, telling us of the process of "reserving" a seat, or sitting up higher in the stand. I followed the emails and pre purchased tickets for the match, upgrading memberships for about $4 per member. When I turned up to my seat, there were Heart members in our seats. When we asked them politely to move, we were told to f*** off.

This wasn't an isolated incident, with about 5 other groups of Heart GA members who had "upgraded" being told by other Heart GA members that they were in the wrong. Then the disgruntled members proceeded to say they weren't going to renew memberships, write complaint letters etc. I understand that people would be upset, but the communication from the Club was more than adequate, and it wasn't as if it was isolated, which a majority of incidents being Heart members trying to get into their reserved seats.

This thread is about how to increase membership. And my point is this. Agreed that at times the Club lacks effective and prompt communication. However, when the communication was provided, the Club copped the flack from members who didn't take notice. Further, I also had non-members there that night, and the picture painted by disgruntled Heart GA members certainly wasn't conducive to them wanting to sign up.

Yes, the Club needs to work on communication and incentive, but members need also provide support by helping the Club out in those situations by either 1) taking notice, or 2) being sensible when they are wrong.

Edited by biancorosso7
  • Like 1

The only way this will ever be fixed is if all GA members have reserved seats, but they only come into effect at matches that are designated as 'Reserved Seating Only.' At the moment the only matches in this category would be home derbies.

BTW, SM has just tweeted that we currently have 2000 members signed up for 2012-13.