Melbourne Football

Membership numbers and how to increase them

Torn Asunder

yer true, well, it is the things that dont cost money that need to be worked on, like the e-mails, cost effective and smart. It surely does not cost money for the players to come to the fans. In my opinion, if you win or draw, you should go to the fans. Away, regardless of result, at gc away after the win, the whole team came and thanked each individual fan, this should become a must for away games.

PS; sorry i got a bit off topic

There is only 1 solution to this

1.This mainly goes out to the terrace! Bring a mate or 10 to a game..... Give them the experience of pre game matchday atmosphere and post game :) its hard to get away from it! If every1 does that membership will go up heaps It's up to us as well to get people to sign up.

Getting a marquee is a quick fix.

Would much rather we increase our fan base gradually and not go from 40000 crowd to the 11000 like the mongs did.

• Like 1

tbh not a lot he is a great guy but i was just pissed that he came over to me while being kicked out told me to relax and that i should be able to get back in and then 5 or so minutes later i was being ejected

Don't get yourself ejected, and/or grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions - blaming Mr Munn directly for your woe, you muppet.

His genuinely approachable nature and prescence in the terrace is an asset to our supporter base, and something by which I would almost advertise the active membership! You can expect that the club gets what's going on at this level (within reason)...

- Segue to the topic: MORE PET MEMBERSHIPS! Sign up your goldfish, budgies and guinea pigs! And then, um, ask for those to be included in the membership count haha....

• Like 1

Would much rather we increase our fan base gradually and not go from 40000 crowd to the 11000 like the mongs did.

Whilst on some levels this is true, to me and my thinking (which may be wrong) it is a numbers game.

We need to approach every Melbourne person and give them an opportunity to be a part of the club. The more you get to a game, the more chance you have to get in core supporters. Those core supporters are the ones that through thick and thin will renew their membership every single year. It is this you need to be part of your club essentially.

Whilst getting a jump in numbers would be great, the best thing would be the number we convert to core. A number of things play a role in getting people to jump from follower and fan, to core support and member. Yarraside play a massive role, RWU play a massive role, every core fan plays a massive role in building friendships in relation to the Heart and the club obviously plays a massive role, both in giving the fans a good experience and WINNING games particularly at home.

Basically it is simple maths. There is over 4 million people in Melbourne. That is just Melbourne not regional Victoria. Melbourne. We are competing with another club in this city. We then have people that will basically not be able to be approached like toddlers etc. Say that number is 3 million people. Take away the number of died in the wool Victory fans who will never in a million years change. I say that number would be 50,000, but lets just say 100,000 people.

That leaves 2.9 million people the club needs to approach (before the Victory) and get to the club for a match, so that we can try and just retain a small amount of those to become core members of the club. When you say we only need 0.5% of that number to become core supporters to be bigger than Victory in this city, you start to realise that it is not such an impossible task and why the club needs to get off their ass and do, just do, no excuses. Greek Community, Indian Community, Chinese community bloody any race community. People who love the Arts, AFL, Rugby, Theatre goers, any one who is breathing. Basically the club needs to get this block out of their heads that we can only approach "football people" and junior clubs to get fans. That is rubbish. Everyone is a potential football person as we all witnessed in bloody 2006 when we made the World Cup. Basically there was 20 million people in this country that became a "football person".

Things that will help:

*The club spend money on a massive advertising campaign. They just have to.Targeted at everyone and anything. Ignore the FFA guidelines too. Cop a fine. Just get out there.

*The club sign a big name signing that is universally known. Will help a great deal.

*The club start acting like a bonafide professional club and stop the gimmicks. No more heart puns and stupid gimmicky things they tend to do, get serious and more professional. Be hard arsed.

*More media exposure during the off season. Way more. Be smart about it. Play out the signing of a Manager. If it is a big name, through a massive announcement not just a presser. Throw out a curve ball to leading up to the announcement. Get names out in the media like Van Basten and Rijkard just to drum up interest weeks before we make an announcement. Publicity. The club needs to get better at it.

*The club gets involved with different community groups and sponsor and interact with their events. Be a community sl_ _ t this off season. Spend money and invest time in events.

*Our Core supporters bring 1 or 2 people to the club for next year. Operation 12,000. Get that trending on twitter, facebook, podcast and websites.

*Westpac employees get a special membership for a special price. Say they get a membership that entitles them to only level 3 seating at AAMI for five games and after match function just for them with some of the players. Get Westpac to really sell this to their staff as part of their sponsorship. Maybe do the same with all our sponsors employees. Westpac alone have thousands, so make it limited and they need to get in quick.

*Yarraside and RWU do a mass gorilla marketing campaign together. There is a lot of smart people involved in these groups, come up with something that makes a mark.

*Yarraside and RWU to do a Uni Night function with LaTrobe. Get pissed, have convo's and make friends in Heart with people that may not even know Heart existed and so close to them.

Just throwing a few ideas out there. Would love to see the club make a mark and surprise everyone this off season. Just do it.

Cut membership prices this year, why go watch victory play for X amount when you can come see Heart win for much less! Will tip the scales in our favour on the supporters sitting on the fence. It's better then giving away free tickets half the year!

• Like 1

Don't get yourself ejected, and/or grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions - blaming Mr Munn directly for your woe, you muppet.

His genuinely approachable nature and prescence in the terrace is an asset to our supporter base, and something by which I would almost advertise the active membership! You can expect that the club gets what's going on at this level (within reason)...

- Segue to the topic: MORE PET MEMBERSHIPS! Sign up your goldfish, budgies and guinea pigs! And then, um, ask for those to be included in the membership count haha....

Are you serious mate?

“Don’t get ejected” that is your solution?

How can such a solution be even possible when he did nothing to be ejected in the first place?

There was no way possible way he could have altered his actions to prevent be ejected.

Bannon has every right to be upset if a person whose salary he pays reassures something will happen and in fact the exact reverse occurs.

His presence is an asset in the Terrace?

If he was a “presence” in the Terrace (Which He is not) he would be doing his job on game day and preventing ACG from ejecting those members of the Terrace who he knows have spent more of their time and money on following and supporting club than anyone else there.

Instead the guy demonstrates little authority over ACG for those of the Terrace.

And once a large number of patrons have been removed for nothing – stands himself in their place for the second half.

And you can should expect the club to know what is going on as its number one job to look after its supporters, and this hardly an isolated issue in Football around the country.

Munn knows exactly what is going on and instead of speaking to the innocent ejected he speaks to those prepared to dob in their follow Terrace Members for club favours.

Edited by cadete

Cut membership prices this year, why go watch victory play for X amount when you can come see Heart win for much less! Will tip the scales in our favour on the supporters sitting on the fence. It's better then giving away free tickets half the year!

I'd like to see a bit of an incentive for existing members who renew their membership for the following season.

Perhaps also, for anyone who wants to, memberships that extend over more than one season - say 3- or 5-years?

Please keep the home Christmas Derby. I know, Warrior, that it's a Heart pun, but for that game I'd like to see the theme of 'Have a Heart this Christmas' and make a collection for the Royal Children's Hospital at the game.

Still would like the opportunity for a 'Heart fan forum' with the club from time to time.

And please keep the family day just before the season starts.

People who are talking about making membership cheaper must be joking. I remember seeing an article, I think on 442, which compared membership prices, and we had the second cheapest or something like that. On the recent survey we were asked to do, I stated that I was very happy with membership prices. It's already cheap enough, and that's coming from someone with zero disposable income.

If we can't gain members any way other than reducing prices, we are doing something horribly wrong. Also, how many people do you think are going to be determined to rock up to every home game if it only cost them $2 or so to get in? FFS, my train ticket into the city is probably more expensive than entry into the stadium. To those blaming prices, THINK HARDER.

Now in response to this 'operation 12000' or whatever, I get where you're coming from, and I also think us members should actively recruit, but I feel this is going too far. One moment we have people complaining about the club making lame campaigns, and then we get something like this.

Go and get people to join up. But instead of trying to make a campaign of it, lets just keep reminding each other to do it.

• Like 3

People who are talking about making membership cheaper must be joking. I remember seeing an article, I think on 442, which compared membership prices, and we had the second cheapest or something like that. On the recent survey we were asked to do, I stated that I was very happy with membership prices. It's already cheap enough, and that's coming from someone with zero disposable income.

If we can't gain members any way other than reducing prices, we are doing something horribly wrong. Also, how many people do you think are going to be determined to rock up to every home game if it only cost them $2 or so to get in? FFS, my train ticket into the city is probably more expensive than entry into the stadium. To those blaming prices, THINK HARDER.

Now in response to this 'operation 12000' or whatever, I get where you're coming from, and I also think us members should actively recruit, but I feel this is going too far. One moment we have people complaining about the club making lame campaigns, and then we get something like this.

Go and get people to join up. But instead of trying to make a campaign of it, lets just keep reminding each other to do it.

First of all on the price I totally agree with you.

On operation 12k, I slightly disagree with you, but see where your coming from. This has nothing to do with the club. It's a fan related initiative and the only thing about spreading operation 12k is to spread the message to ALL our members via the avenues we have available. How are we going to spread the message otherwise? Just hope everyone will click onto this? The club does enough sitting on hands and hoping. About time we did something about it.

I'm not saying sit back and do nothing, occasionally asking a friend to come to a match, I agree with everyone getting out there and getting lads to sign up. I just think that everyone doing it under the one banner can lead to disapproval, and is a bit lame.

It's kinda like this Kony thing, I'm all for people trying to help out in whatever way they can, but it just becomes lame and open to hostility when done in a collective manner like Kony, based under one title. Post on twitter and facey in an attempt to get people to join up, and get as many people as possible involved, just leave the collective out of it. We can have a target of 12k, but we don't need to spruik it.

People who are talking about making membership cheaper must be joking.

Perhaps you're looking at this from a GA/concession point of view?

I agree, some of the packages are very good indeed.

But not everyone wants to watch from behind the goal. For Mrs. JW and me, adult, no concession, A Reserve, $500 per season per person...not so attractive. Doesn't put us off, but what we're talking about is not us but potential new members.

So I don't think we should dismiss a review of membership prices.

Edited by jw1739

Brisbane has less members than Heart at 4459, but their average home game attendances is much higher at 13,157

http://theworldgame....s-record-growth

What can be read into this in comparison to the Heart??

You'd have to look at the details of their memberships and what advantage they give. But off the top of my head Brisbane have had consecutive good seasons and therefore are pulling in the casuals. We've had consecutive mediocre seasons, particularly at home.

what we're talking about is not us but potential new members.

I can guarantee that the club is not trying to drastically increase their A ticket holders. $500 is a lot of money, but is definately not seen as the entry level membership. There are other options, and the idea of the A reserve tickets is to be exclusive from the rest. By lowering the prices of this, that feel of exclusiveness will disappear instantly.

Put it this way, whilst out recruiting, I would never suggest the A reserve seats. You always need that option for those who have the extra dosh, and want to get that little bit more out of their membership. However, the majority of people just want to gain access to watch their team play. This doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a review of pricing, rather that, as a whole, and in terms of increasing numbers, prices are cheap enough.

Brisbane has less members than Heart at 4459, but their average home game attendances is much higher at 13,157

Queensland and co. don't have the same urge to purchase memberships, that seems to be mainly a Victorian thing. Happens with AFL and NRL sides aswell.

I'm not saying sit back and do nothing, occasionally asking a friend to come to a match, I agree with everyone getting out there and getting lads to sign up. I just think that everyone doing it under the one banner can lead to disapproval, and is a bit lame.

It's kinda like this Kony thing, I'm all for people trying to help out in whatever way they can, but it just becomes lame and open to hostility when done in a collective manner like Kony, based under one title. Post on twitter and facey in an attempt to get people to join up, and get as many people as possible involved, just leave the collective out of it. We can have a target of 12k, but we don't need to spruik it.

Fair enough. I can see your point. just think fans of the stature of Yarraside and RWU, the groups that most fans look to can play a massive part in this and come up with the operation 12k. Your definitely right though, if we just spread the message and use examples of people bringing someone else to the club being a member, it would go a long way. Originally if 4,000 of our members bring in one person each then we would still be in a good position. Some as stated would bring two or three.

I want us to, and think it is vital that we get OVER 10,000 members next season. The long term future of the club relies on this.

It is interesting isnt it? What I think it is a culture thing too. Melbourne is AFL heartland with fans born and bred on the club membership philosophy, whereas in Brisbane, Rugby heartland, not so much on membership. Attendance would be positive for them, but yeah, that core supporters I talk about is an issue for them. Clubs rely on members. Anyone willing to commit to something is worth their weight in gold. Attendance figures are good short term, long term if they fail, it could crumble.

I don't know what the deal is with the imp being booked out for the final, but assuming there isn't a limit or anything, lets pack the place out, get plenty of new faces in there on Sunday. Just bring one close mate, get them involved in the terrace, meet the lads. It would be a good entry level activity for them, can get them pissed, introduced, and then it just goes from there.

• Like 1

I don't know what the deal is with the imp being booked out for the final, but assuming there isn't a limit or anything, lets pack the place out, get plenty of new faces in there on Sunday. Just bring one close mate, get them involved in the terrace, meet the lads. It would be a good entry level activity for them, can get them pissed, introduced, and then it just goes from there.
Would be good to see the gimp get packed!!

Every supporter that wants to see our club stick around and grow should take it upon themselves to sign up as many people as they can. It is essentially all we can do.

spot on.

the club should do as much as they can also, as i dont think they are doing everything possible.

Dear Agony Aunt,

I'm in a real conundrum come kick off next season. A good friend and all round top bloke has come around for all away games, come down to some home games and been over for every one of the few games I couldn't make it to. I said in jest during the year that anyone would think his a Heart supporter having seen more of them this year than his chosen Victory, who he has supported from day dot albeit not madly passionate, nor paid up nor died in the wool but perhaps in the way a lot of us would support The Storm for being Victorian. He mentions the other night about perhaps jumping on board in 2012/13 where I then offered to buy his membership next year(non drinker so it's basically a taxi for no more than $350, massive value imo). But myself having been indoctrinated as a child to follow an AFL team along with family friends doing their best for Melb Knights, I cant imagine ever bailing ship on a chosen team no matter how light the support.

Aunt......Am i making a mountain out of a molehill? Aunt......Should I forget the dirty word 'respect' and my minor loss of it towards him in regards to his decision? Aunt......can you grab me a beer ffs?

Actually Aunt....forget every thing I've typed. It's dawned on me by re-reading the words in front of me it appears I've maybe over reacted. It's not like he was ever a member and it's a bloody potential chauffeur to 75% of games!

Thanks for your help bitch, it's much appreciated and add myself +1 to next seasons member tally. Get Panos on board and you can also count me in for one of the business of heart packages also.

Until next time Aunt, now fuck off.

Love from, confused but now illuminated.

Dear Agony Aunt,

I'm in a real conundrum come kick off next season. A good friend and all round top bloke has come around for all away games, come down to some home games and been over for every one of the few games I couldn't make it to. I said in jest during the year that anyone would think his a Heart supporter having seen more of them this year than his chosen Victory, who he has supported from day dot albeit not madly passionate, nor paid up nor died in the wool but perhaps in the way a lot of us would support The Storm for being Victorian. He mentions the other night about perhaps jumping on board in 2012/13 where I then offered to buy his membership next year(non drinker so it's basically a taxi for no more than $350, massive value imo). But myself having been indoctrinated as a child to follow an AFL team along with family friends doing their best for Melb Knights, I cant imagine ever bailing ship on a chosen team no matter how light the support.

Aunt......Am i making a mountain out of a molehill? Aunt......Should I forget the dirty word 'respect' and my minor loss of it towards him in regards to his decision? Aunt......can you grab me a beer ffs?

Actually Aunt....forget every thing I've typed. It's dawned on me by re-reading the words in front of me it appears I've maybe over reacted. It's not like he was ever a member and it's a bloody potential chauffeur to 75% of games!

Thanks for your help bitch, it's much appreciated and add myself +1 to next seasons member tally. Get Panos on board and you can also count me in for one of the business of heart packages also.

e1aeyf.gif

Dear Agony Aunt,

The fuck are you talking about?

A mate is somewhat swapping an allegiance, where I'm more the type to go down sinking with the ship thru loyalty. Hence my confusion about me losing some respect for the bloke. Im sure others in here have been in my position.

The other 5 paragraphs well fuck knows :blink:, it's been a loong sleepless weekend all ready with more to come tonight, so get off me back eh. Wait for the shit spewing from my fingertips tomoz lol

Gunna be a fkn awesome working week, giddy up.

A mate is somewhat swapping an allegiance, where I'm more the type to go down sinking with the ship thru loyalty. Hence my confusion about me losing some respect for the bloke. Im sure others in here have been in my position.

Who cares? It's just sport mate. He's changing from a team that's 7 years old to one that's 2. It's another member for us and that's nothing but a good thing. A large chunk of our supporters are ex-Victory anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a fairly unorthodox idea not so long ago. If the club strikes up a relationship with an overseas club (would probably work best with an Asian club) we could run a fan exchange program where we send one of our supporters over there to be shown around the club and get to do something like sit on the bench for a match for example and we do the same for one of their fans. Could make people more interested in us because it shows we are an innovative club looking to make our brand international, etc.

There would probably have to be strict criteria for who we could send over. I have no idea how it would work or even if it would do anything to increase interest in our club, but its an idea...

I don't see how that would increase members at all.

The blatantly obvious ways to increase the crowds are:

- A big name signing

- Wining some silverware, or being at the top end of the table at least.

- Playing attractive football

- Increased media exposure

I can't see much else making any significant difference.

Edited by NoMorePineapple

I don't see how that would increase members at all.

The blatantly obvious ways to increase the crowds are:

- A big name signing

- Wining some silverware, or being at the top end of the table at least.

- Playing attractive football

- Increased media exposure

Not much more would make any significant difference in my opinion.

we also MUST win at home when we get a big crowed.

that didnt happen this year.

IIRC it was vs. Perth, we got a solid crowed but just didnt get a result.

Edited by nicotera5