Melbourne Football

Jw1739 & King of hearts birthday round, 6th January, 7:50 KO

kingofhearts

3 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Well, some might argue that it's entirely because JVS took five seasons to make people that way that it only takes one to make people feel it about Joyce. That said, I would also say that I'm pretty surprised that it did take five seasons as I always had the impression that JVS had been fairly unpopular into his second or third year. Obviously I wasn't here at that point, but going off comments I've seen here I mean.

All good mate. Was just having a laugh. 

2 minutes ago, Embee said:

Ross got Fox's MOTM, mentioned in the interview that Villa and City are in discussions about him staying all season and that he's very keen to do so.

Just confirmed with Bruno that he's a month away from playing so this is good. 

Edited by n i k o

Just now, fensaddler said:

Merely papers over the cracks and things are still very wrong. But I will never wish for my team to lose or fail to enjoy them scoring. Arzani played a blinder, and credit to big Ross.

Agree.

a few positives though:

1. We tried to play football. Weren’t great, but at least we tried.

2. Wazza Made the right subs and changed it up.

3. Arzani finally showed me what half the forum has been raving about 

4. MCCormack showed a poachers awareness to pick up 2 good goals (& if you think they were both easy I’d suggest you’ve never played up front).

hopefully we’ve turned  the corner.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Good. Given the service he'll score regularly.

This. Waz has missed some sitters, but if you just focus on him when watching TV you see all the runs he makes but our players miss.

-Vidosic didnt do much for me that game. Hopefully will be an improvement next week.

-Arzani starting XI

-Jakobsen needs to get better, but should stay CB with Bort

-Big Boy Haz should have a go in Malik's position

-Muscat for Atkinson at RB?

-Fitzy needs to pull his finger out

3 minutes ago, haz said:

This. Waz has missed some sitters, but if you just focus on him when watching TV you see all the runs he makes but our players miss.

-Vidosic didnt do much for me that game. Hopefully will be an improvement next week.

-Arzani starting XI

-Jakobsen needs to get better, but should stay CB with Bort

-Big Boy Haz should have a go in Malik's position

-Muscat for Atkinson at RB?

-Fitzy needs to pull his finger out

Disagree with Muscat for Atkinson. The kid is young and will make mistakes. He has to play to improve. Also I thought Jacobsen struggled at Centre Half. I would be inclined to replace Malik with Jacobsen and give Delbridge a go alongside Bort 

Just now, silva10 said:

Disagree with Muscat for Atkinson. The kid is young and will make mistakes. He has to play to improve. Also I thought Jacobsen struggled at Centre Half. I would be inclined to replace Malik with Jacobsen and give Delbridge a go alongside Bort 

Yea hence the "?". Once again its the question of how do we get Atkinson to be better?.... he needs to play. But the coach needs to make that decision

17 minutes ago, Embee said:

Ross got Fox's MOTM, mentioned in the interview that Villa and City are in discussions about him staying all season and that he's very keen to do so.

What the surprise is that they will sell Bruno.  Imagine the scenes

Melbourne City v Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park: Score, highlights, video, statistics

January 6, 2018

by STAFF WRITERS WITH AAP

TO say Melbourne City had a dire first half against the Phoenix would be an understatement.

Warren Joyce’s side dominated possession but largely failed to do anything concrete in the final third.

After Roy Krishna opened the scoring in the 42nd minute, things got even worse.

City’s players were booed by their supporters as they came off the field — and according to former Socceroo Mark Bosnich, they deserved it.

“I’ve stayed pretty strong in terms of the fact that Melbourne City have had an indifferent season, yes, but I thought that they had a way of playing at the start that although it wasn’t easy on the eye, it was still pretty successful,” he said on Fox Sports’ Matchday Saturday.

“They’ve veered away from that and they’ve tried to veer back but it’s not really happening.

“They had all the possession in the first half but they’re so predictable in that last third and something’s got to change and something’s got to change very, very fast.”

Bosnich suggested making a quick substitution to bring on either Marcelo Carrusca or Daniel Arzani.

“I think they need to try something different and Carrusca needs to come on immediately in my opinion… try that, maybe even try and bring on the young boy Arzani if that’s not working,” Bosnich said.

“Dario Vidosic is a quality player, he’s new to the club, it’s going to take him a while to settle in and to understand the movements of players around him

“Carrusca’s been there from the start, we know what he can do in the A-League, he offers you something different, and right at this moment in time they need something different in that last third.

“It really is pedantic and it’s harrd to watch at the moment.”

In the 53rd minute, Joyce made a change.

And it proved to be the difference.

Young gun Daniel Arzani took less than 20 minutes to make an impact after entering the play.

From the moment he took the field, really, Arzani provided the spark and energy that had been missing from City’s front third.

In the 72nd minute, the attacking midfielder whipped in a tantalising low cross, with Ross McCormack on hand to tap home an equaliser.

“They needed a spark and it’s Arzani who proved it,” Robbie Slater sauid on Fox Sports.

“What an impact from the bench for the young star Arzani.”

VBut the young gun wasn’t done yet.

In the 80th minute, Arzani zipped across to the left hand side, received the ball, cut inside and unleashed a beautiful, low, dipping ball to the far post, with McCormack again there to score.

“The substitution has been an inspired one and Arzani has inspired his team,” former Socceroo Robbie Slater said on Fox Sports’ coverage.

“He’s provided the spark and he’s provided importantly the two assists for the excellent Ross McCormack.”

If McCormack had two goals on the scoresheet, he was more than happy to pass credit onto the young attacker.

“We’ve got a wonder kid like Daniel coming on and putting two on my plate,” he said on Fox Sports’ coverage after the game.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-v-wellington-phoenix-at-aami-park-score-highlights-video-statistics/news-story/1797a97125becdc5dfe42aac0ca38bf5

MCCORMACK: ARZANI IS A "WONDERKID"

By Lucas Radbourne-Pugh Jan 6 2018

Ross McCormack at the double: the Scot's brace gave Melbourne City a come-from-behind win over Wellington Phoenix.

Wellington raced to an early advantage through Roy Krishna, and then looked dangerous on the counter – Andrija Kaluderovic looking most likely – but couldn’t capitalise.

City were disappointing for the majority of the match, but plugged away and eventually got their reward with "wonderkid" Daniel Arzani assisting McCormack for both goals.

McCormack wasn't giving too much away after the match, especially on whether his future lies in Melbourne. However, he did single out Arzani for special praise.

“I think, overall, it’s hard to say we deserved it but the final ball showed. It was a bit sloppy, but then we’ve got a wonderkid like Daniel who can put two on a plate,” McCormack said.

“I think the club is talking to Aston Villa to see if I can stay, but you’ll have to ask the powers-at-be for when we'll know.”

Warren Joyce was pleased with the result, but wasn't getting carried away with Arzani.

“(Arzani) is a good player, he’s a talent, he’s got X factor talent and we had a plan for him to start the season," Joyce said.

“He’s gone away with the young Australian team a couple of times and he’s come back in-no where-near as good a shape as I’d like him to be.

“He has to listen to us and play the way we want him to, rather than a way that others may want for him.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/mccormack-arzani-is-a-wonderkid-480619

I drove 320km in 42 degree heat and drive back home tomorrow, it's my third home game this season and finally saw a win, but what a hollow feeling.

Positives:

We won.

We won from behind

Daniel Arzani, provides the pace, the runs and the execution that we've missed from our wingers. @ assists and without him we would have lost by a larger score than 0-1

3 subs from that person on the bench that looked like Wazza but must have been someone else. The subs were timely effective for once

Good to see Carusca on the pitch

5,200 idiots turned out to watch a dire first-half performance

Negatives:

We didn't deserve the win, it was such a generally poor performance it deserved 2 Big Macs

An English gentleman was sitting behind me and at half-time, he identified himself as a Man City supporter and asked if we always played such shit football. The short version of the reply was "yes, this season, but usually, it's been worse". He apologised.

Wellington got sucked in after their goal and tried to play football, If they'd continued to sit 2 rows of 4 and counter-attack then they may have won 0-4. Lucky us, because it was luck that kept us in the game.

I suppose Wazza is here for another week

Edited by belaguttman

Always good to get 3 points. However, I guess the headline is that we finally snapped a losing and poor steak, but only did so by making hard work of it while playing at home against the bottom side Wellington.

Changes were made to defence (Jakobsen back there), midfield (Vidosic) and attack (Atkinson). However, despite the changes City only increased their possession, which was very toothless, and still made another silly mistake in defence to concede a goal. So despite some seemingly valid player changes, the team under Joyce still looked flat, unmotivated and ineffective.

Nonetheless, despite the team's overall performance, Joyce uncharacteristically made multiple substitutions, and these substitutions did what subs normally do: change the game. Every person and their dog can see that Arzani getting subbed on in the 53rd minute changed the game. Arzani showed great hunger, and equally pleasingly he showed great skill, and he was the main factor who changed the game. Joyce has to explain why it took 14 games into the season for Arzani to pretty much play his first game for City (especially given the lack of available attacking players we've had this season).

I'd say a rejigged attack had a huge impact on the team. Finally, as the second half got going we looked like a team that could build up a play and get a shot on goal. I'd say it's no coincidence that both goals happened while Vidosic and Carrusca were also on the pitch. I believe that Vidosic passed the ball both times to Arzani before his assists. While Carrusca's smart runs and play can only be making some useful space for our other attackers. And finally McCormack thrived with a good attack full or capable attackers around him, and he deserves praise for getting a brace in open play to get City the win.

All up, some promising individual moments, and maybe a glimpse of a competent team. Still, I agree that the good things about City in this game seemed to happen despite Joyce: Arzani and Carrusca finally getting game time, Kamau and Fitzgerald finally having competition for the winger positions 14 games into the season--and after 9 very unsuccessful games overall (also, Kamau joining the U23s really forced Joyce's decision here), and midfielders playing in midfield (and sure enough we stacked up a lot more possession with 69%, however our midfield trio will need more than 1 game together to show more fluency and sharpness). It's up to Joyce now to turn what should have been a gimme home win against bottom side Wellington into a good run of games, so we can deservedly finish 3rd or better by the end of the season, instead of fluking our way into 3rd halfway through the season. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a lot to add to what's already been said. Clearly Arzani MOTM for me, and must start next match. McCormack took those two chances well. We were denied a penalty for a clear trip.

Brattan must win the "most irritating player" award. Does he really have to kill forward momentum so often? I didn't think Vidosic or Carrusca added anything whatsoever. Jakobsen is a shadow of the player he was last season.

The attendance was better than I expected. Yes it had cooled by KO time, but many people would have started their journey while it was still over 40 degrees. The attendance in Geelong was also very poor by Victory standards.

3 points when you play so poorly for over half a match is a good outcome. Take them and move on.

Final word - well played Daniel Arzani. Hope to see you in City colours for a good while to come.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, moops said:

So should Wazza consider Najjarine as well as Arzani instead of Kamau and Fitzy who have dropped in performance lately, at least a consideration from the bench?

All aboard the Walkerist train, toot, toot. :P

Every player at the club should be considered whatever their relationship with the manager.

The time has come for the senior management at the club to take action. What is the reason Kilkenny has been frozen out? Why isn’t Budinski playing? If they have no chance of playing then they need to be moved on and replacements brought in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silva10 said:

I would take Fitzy and Muscat off and put Delbridge and Carrusca on. Go to back 3 with Jamieson and Atkinson as wing backs. Vidosic up top with Ross. But no chance has Joyce is clueless 

Did Joyce have an earpiece with you on the other end? That's exactly what he did.

9 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Every player at the club should be considered whatever their relationship with the manager.

The time has come for the senior management at the club to take action. What is the reason Kilkenny has been frozen out? Why isn’t Budinski playing? If they have no chance of playing then they need to be moved on and replacements brought in.

Agree, just having a bit of a luagh, though tbf on Najjarine he has been performing as well as Arzani it seems. Also some people have been giving Metcalf wraps this year and there is Genreaou as well, it would be easier to give them game time if the bench was bigger, should have 2-3 more spots imho.

The second paragraph is the strange one, even mainstream media are puzzled and we usually get ignored by them here in Melbourne. I wouldn't be surprised to see big changes this month, or the end of the season as we have a fair few players coming off contract and Wazza has virtually frozen out Killa and Budzinksi.