MHFC-FAN

8 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I'd like to see 4-3-3 again, with Caceres replacing Mauk:

Sorensen

Retre  Hughes   Kisnorbo  Clisby/Zullo

Melling     Paartalu

Mooy

Caceres      Fornaroli       Novillo

I think this is probably the most likely scenario too, and it should work very well. I'm hoping we come out all guns blazing and try and score from very attacking play. I'm just keen to see Gooch get a chance at his natural position for once.

• Like 1

I reckon we will go back to a 4-3-3 considering Clisby will be suspended. The only way I can see JVS using a 5-3-2 is if he drops Melling back to CB. 

Franjic will be fit this game so I expect him to slot into RB dropping Retre to the bench. 

If Fitzgerald is training with us atm, I believe he will be announced tomorrow (why announce two players on the day) if so, him or Williams will start in RW. But Murf could be correct in saying Caceras would be played as a free floating RW. 

-Deleted Image-

Edited by haz

I'd be happy with the above very attacking lineup. I'm not sure whether we could get away with a Mooy-Caceres-Paartalu midfield against other teams, as it seems rather unbalanced--all attack and very little defence (assuming Mooy and Caceres try to play their natural roles and both try to play as no. 10s). But against Wellington I'd be all for it.

I agree that a proper winger like Fitzgerald would be preferable to having a midfielder at RW. But at the same time I think Mauk and Caceres are good options at RW (especially with such dominant attackers as Fornaroli and Novillo in the front 3, I reckon it's perfectly fine just having an average attacking threat [a midfielder; Mauk or Caceres] alongside them).

Time for Zullo to step up. He's had a a few weeks, maybe a month, to get his fitness back, and with Clisby out we need him to show his quality. If he doesn't I'd be fine with Garuccio being subbed on early in the second half.

Franjic in would be a huge boost. Even though he's a very attack-minded player I believe his experience steadies and improves our defence. If he's in that should give us a good enough defence, and together with a top class A-League midfield and a top class A-League attack we should be overwhelming favourites against the Nix.

Together with the W-League match curtain-raiser, Australia Day Eve is a great day of football in prospect.

• Like 2

Agree that Zullo needs to demonstrate his value this week. His performance was very underwhelming last week and it was disappointing that he didn't add a lot to our attack. Even though he was using this season as a step back to Europe, I think at this rate he'll be lucky to get an extension from us, let alone an EU contract.

Really hope we can get two very convincing wins in both matches as it will make for a very pleasant birthday-eve for me.

1 hour ago, JC22 said:

Think you're being harsh on Zullo. Been a long time out of the game.

Just gonna take a little while to hit his straps again.

Well no. It was Zullo who said that he only wanted a one year contract so that he could then return to Europe. He set the bar that he is good enough to play for a decent league in Europe. So far his record has been underwhelming because he arrived injured, re-injured himself and has taken a long time to get onto the pitch let alone reach match fitness required. Yes, assuming that he does not re-injure himself and continues to get game time, he will reach full match fitness. Whether by that stage the season is over or not, we don't know yet. Would a European club take him on right now on his performance thus far? Put me in the sceptical grouping.

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 3.Aaron HUGHES, 5.Ivan FRANJC, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 11.Michael ZULLO, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 17.Wade DEKKER, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK , 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 29.Anthony CACERES

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 5.Ivan FRANJIC (returns from injury), 21.Stefan MAUK (return from Olyroos duty), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (promoted), 29.Anthony CACERES (new on-loan signing)

Outs: 15.David WILLIAMS (released), 22.Jack CLISBY (suspension – 1 week)

Unavailable: 4.Connor CHAPMAN (knee – 2 months), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – season), 14.James BROWN (fitness – 1 week)

Wellington Phoenix squad: 1.Glen MOSS (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Justin GULLEY, 4.Roly BONEVACIA, 5.Troy DANASKOS, 6.Dylan FOX, 8.Alex RODRIGUEZ, 10.Michael MCGLINCHEY, 11.Kwabena  APPIAH, 12.Blake POWELL, 13.Albert RIERA, 16.Louis FENTON, 17.Vince LIA, 19.Tom DOYLE, 20.Lewis ITALIANO (GK), 22.Andrew DURANTE (c), 23.Matthew RIDENTON, 28.Joel STEVENS

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 2.Manny MUSCAT (returns from suspension), 16.Louis FENTON (returns from injury)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 14.Alex RUFER (broken leg – season), 18.Ben SIGMUND (hip – 2-3 weeks), 21.Roy KRISHNA (ankle – 10-12 weeks)

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-melbourne-city-v-wellington-phoenix/87bzzyngz7ku162ncazbum56r#hXdiT52AIcRphIlb.99

Really looking forward to seeing Caceres play. Not sure if he'll start, hopefully we revert to 4-3-3 (which is likely since Clisby is out) it'll probably mean Caceres would be on the right wing if he does start. Much like how Mauk has been used.

I think @Murfy1 spoke about the possibility of him playing in that role too.

14.James BROWN (fitness – 1 week)

I made this point earlier in the season both here and on City Voice so it's good to see the club providing details of players that are not injured and are returning back to first team fitness. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 4

How difficult is it for a player to slot into the team with having been training with the club for one week? I would have thought that a fortnight to get to effectively work with his team mates would be required. I would put Mauk in the starting XI because he has done the pre-season with the club and had a run with the Olyroos. Whereas Caceres has not had game time for a while.

2 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

How difficult is it for a player to slot into the team with having been training with the club for one week? I would have thought that a fortnight to get to effectively work with his team mates would be required. I would put Mauk in the starting XI because he has done the pre-season with the club and had a run with the Olyroos. Whereas Caceres has not had game time for a while.

Gotta start somewhere and what better time than against a team struggling and at home. 

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

You'd have to wonder if they were telling the whole truth about that.

Anyway whatever.

Glad he's back.

Personally I have little doubt that it has been a cover-up for something else. A player does not fail a fitness test the morning of a match and then take further weeks off. Kewell's whiplash, Koren's thigh - they're all "injury" cover-ups for management issues in my book.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Sorenson

Franjic Hughes Kisnorbo Zullo

Paartalu

Mooy Melling

Caceras Fornaroli Novillo

Only position I'd question would be Melling and Caceras. Melling has to me been a bit off the last few weeks. Maybe it's just form or he's been asked to play differently not sure. He just seems a bit off the pace.

Anyway to start Caceras would be a bold statement but if he plays well may give him great confidence. Mauk deserves a run also. So either one. 

Apart from that it's pretty much a first choice team and for the first time this season I'm truly confident of a pumping.

4:0.

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Only position I'd question would be Melling and Caceras. Melling has to me been a bit off the last few weeks. Maybe it's just form or he's been asked to play differently not sure. He just seems a bit off the pace.

Anyway to start Caceras would be a bold statement but if he plays well may give him great confidence. Mauk deserves a run also. So either one. 

Apart from that it's pretty much a first choice team and for the first time this season I'm truly confident of a pumping.

4:0.

And without any details regarding their condition and performance during training it's beginning to be hard to pick whether guys like Melling, Retre and Mauk will start. Mauk fitting in the front three position has always been a necessity rather than a choice, that's why I beleive with Caceras is in with a chance of playing there. Agree Melling has been off as of late, but whoever starts either way with Mauk, Retre, Mellng or Caceras coming off the bench that is some good depth there. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Whichever way it goes it's good to have a strong bench at last. So often that's been our weakness.

Yeah, so depressing seeing us struggle on the field and looking over at an uninspiring bench. Having players who can come on and make an impact is a good feeling.