Melbourne Football

City vs. North Geelong, 4 Sep, Port Melbourne

jw1739

MelbourneCity's starting XI | Sorensen (GK), Retre, Kisnorbo (C), Clisby, Richardson; Paartalu, Koren, Eyigun,  Zinni, Fornaroli, Marino.

Sorensen already starting.

Melbourne City's substitutes | Velaphi, Sozer, Chapman, Cristaldo, Row, Genreau, Memeti, Dekker, Pierias, Mauk, Monek, Kuzmanovski.

MelbourneCity's starting XI | Sorensen (GK), Retre, Kisnorbo (C), Clisby, Richardson; Paartalu, Koren, Eyigun,  Zinni, Fornaroli, Marino.

Sorensen already starting.

Melbourne City's substitutes | Velaphi, Sozer, Chapman, Cristaldo, Row, Genreau, Memeti, Dekker, Pierias, Mauk, Monek, Kuzmanovski.

probably rode his bike there

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 5

Apologies for lack of specifics in this brief report but it was hard to know just who was who in the second half because there were no announcements and no indication who was wearing what number.

First half we completely dominated but other than Marino's strike we didn't really threaten their goal. The second half was a lot more open; we moved the ball a lot quicker with some really good passing movements through midfield. Mauk did really well, and the main threat was coming from our right winger no. 7. Very quick on and off the ball and chased back to defend well also. Marino seemed to cop a bad injury to his right foot. Dekker with a nicely-taken goal. Callum Richardson (ex-Burnley) was impressive at right-full-back and could be likely signing on tonight's performance.

So far I'd say the main issue with the likely senior team is if we're going persist with 4-3-3 we risk being short on strike power unless we can get everyone (e.g. Novillo, Gameiro) back from injury. But no doubt in my mind having a team in the NPL has really lifted the performance of a lot of our younger players.

• Like 2

Apologies for lack of specifics in this brief report but it was hard to know just who was who in the second half because there were no announcements and no indication who was wearing what number.

First half we completely dominated but other than Marino's strike we didn't really threaten their goal. The second half was a lot more open; we moved the ball a lot quicker with some really good passing movements through midfield. Mauk did really well, and the main threat was coming from our right winger no. 7. Very quick on and off the ball and chased back to defend well also. Marino seemed to cop a bad injury to his right foot. Dekker with a nicely-taken goal. Callum Richardson (ex-Burnley) was impressive at right-full-back and could be likely signing on tonight's performance.

So far I'd say the main issue with the likely senior team is if we're going persist with 4-3-3 we risk being short on strike power unless we can get everyone (e.g. Novillo, Gameiro) back from injury. But no doubt in my mind having a team in the NPL has really lifted the performance of a lot of our younger players.

I think #7 was Cristaldo. He seemed very enthusiastic.

Agreed about the NPL.

• Like 1

Why do we all of a sudden have kids that look like they could play a role this upcoming season, if required. Eyigun also looks like he will be a player, joining Retre (who I'd written off not long ago) and Dekker, who should play a part this year. Do we put it down to the NPL side?

There was a serious camera set up from the club. Likely we'll see highlights in the next few days I'd suggest.

There's a report up with photographs so hopefully a video to follow in due course: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/melbourne-city-thump-north-geelong-warriors-5-0-in-pre-season-friendly/1atints8ppwg819ngkvfdjlalk 

Why do we all of a sudden have kids that look like they could play a role this upcoming season, if required. Eyigun also looks like he will be a player, joining Retre (who I'd written off not long ago) and Dekker, who should play a part this year. Do we put it down to the NPL side?

Well worth remembering our youth team won the league last year. Lots of variables in that of course, but you need talent to do it. It's also a sign we've got our youth programme back on track after whatever happened when JVS left.

playing against men in the NPL was the logical step for these kids, great to see its paying dividends.

Incidentally in regards to identifying players who are and aren't going to make it, that's a tough game. That's why the professional scouts like to see a lot of a player before they make a call.  Even then they stuff up a lot. (Everyone at the AIS thought Paul Reid would be a better player than Harry Kewell, for instance).  

• Like 1

Cristaldo looked a bit profligate up front, but otherwise I thought all the kids played pretty well, especially in the 2nd half. Mauk and Chapman were excellent IMO, as you'd hope with senior team players, and all the other young players looked pretty tidy in possession. 

Really liking what I'm seeing from Fornaroli. He seems to fit really well into the team (unlike Kennedy and earlier Macallister). Also I thought Kuzmanovski looked pretty good for a player who's been sidelined for a while.

I showed up a bit late to the match, so how was Marino's performance and his goal? He looked pretty good from what I saw, so hopefully his injury isn't too serious. The team probably doesn't 'need' young players like him, given we've got pretty good depth in attack, but for his sake hopefully it isn't too bad.

Cristaldo looked a bit profligate up front, but otherwise I thought all the kids played pretty well, especially in the 2nd half. Mauk and Chapman were excellent IMO, as you'd hope with senior team players, and all the other young players looked pretty tidy in possession. 

Really liking what I'm seeing from Fornaroli. He seems to fit really well into the team (unlike Kennedy and earlier Macallister). Also I thought Kuzmanovski looked pretty good for a player who's been sidelined for a while.

I showed up a bit late to the match, so how was Marino's performance and his goal? He looked pretty good from what I saw, so hopefully his injury isn't too serious. The team probably doesn't 'need' young players like him, given we've got pretty good depth in attack, but for his sake hopefully it isn't too bad.

Cracking goal by Marino. Not dissimilar to the one by Golgol for us against WSW in 2013 at AAMI (one of my favourite Heart/City goals).  Struck hard just on the edge of the box and flew head height into the back of the net. No chance goalie. I thought he played well and was in the thick of the action until being 'catered' off.

• Like 1

Cracking goal by Marino. Not dissimilar to the one by Golgol for us against WSW in 2013 at AAMI (one of my favourite Heart/City goals).  Struck hard just on the edge of the box and flew head height into the back of the net. No chance goalie. I thought he played well and was in the thick of the action until being 'catered' off.

Agreed. IIRC he was mainly in a left-wing role, but had drifted centrally to score. We seem to be playing with a front three - two wingers and Tuna in the middle, with Koren in more of an old-fashioned inside-forward position.

Marino seems to have bulked up quite a bit from last season. I still like Dekker up front though - would love to see him and Tuna working together down the middle.

Murf, IMO we do need the Marinos and Dekkers in the squad for their pace because we can be frustratingly slow to get the ball forward otherwise.

Edited by jw1739

I agree that they can add value to the team, and in particular pace. IMO though the likely starting attack is impressive and has a good amount of pace:

Novillo - Fornaroli - Gameiro

Also the team has good depth (and still some agility/pace) in Kuzmanovski, and if fit Williams, Garuccio, Brown.

So that's 7 useful players before Marino and Dekker are accounted for. That's why I'm pretty pleased with our attack and its depth, and don't think a few omissions, in particular regarding the younger players, is a serious concern. But nonetheless I believe all our attackers can play  useful roles next season, and I'm pretty hopeful that Marino and Dekker can step up to A-League football next season. I don't expect any of them to displace the starting 3 above, who IMO we will need to perform for most of next season, but still I reckon we'll see a number of attackers like Marino and Dekker chip in next season (and have our attackers outscore our midfielders, unlike last season..).

I'm leaning the other way. With zero expectations and zero pressure Williams can produce and especially as an impact player off the bench.  His best is high quality and once he gets a run on he can really contribute. As option 1 or 1st change at 60 minutes Williams might and hopefully make a difference in a few games.

Just goto get fit.