Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

Cahill to Melbourne City?

By Secret Agent

Mar 1, 2016

Tim Cahill may have only recently signed a deal to play for Chinese Club Hangzhou Greentown, but that hasn’t stopped Socceroos boss Ange Postecoglou encouraging Melbourne City to make him their marquee man for next season.

Postecoglou knows the importance of keeping the 36-year-old playing games in preparation for World Cup qualifiers, and also realises that City Group-owned Melbourne City have both the appetite and financial strength to meet Cahill’s expectations.

With Bruno Fornaroli expected to take the marquee spot vacated by Robert Koren, City would need Aaron Mooy to move on for Cahill to fill the second marquee position.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4696745-the-secret-agent-a-league-attempting-to-lure-tim-cahill-home/slide/443315

JVS interview about Mooy "JVS hints Mooy may leave at season's end" video at link: http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2016/03/02/20895552/van-t-schip-city-need-consistency-to-challenge

Same video also here: http://vod.cms.download.performgroup.com/omnisport/ready/australia/transfer/304/NEWS_020316_ALEAGUE_JVS_MOOY_LEAVE-1456879044382_304.mp4

Maybe not breaking news, as Mooy seemed likely to leave, but more evidence that we'll likely have 2 marquee spots to fill for next season.

Edited by Murfy1

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Don't want him. But, nevertheless, nice of AP to offer gratuitous advice to Sheikh Mansour on how the latter should spend his money. 

Depends on how the new manager wants to play I guess.  No use under JVS (as we saw with Kennedy), but a more direct manager or one who liked his wingers to cross rather than cut in might like a big target man who is lethal in the 6 yard box.

The other problem is that the odds of a bloke Timmy's age being fit every week are pretty slim.  

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Depends on how the new manager wants to play I guess.  No use under JVS (as we saw with Kennedy), but a more direct manager or one who liked his wingers to cross rather than cut in might like a big target man who is lethal in the 6 yard box.

The other problem is that the odds of a bloke Timmy's age being fit every week are pretty slim.  

I really don't think we need to worry about scoring goals so much as stopping them. Even if we lose Mooy - which personally I don't think is inevitable. Our defence really does need major reinforcement for next season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Our defence will do better next season if we can stop trying to defend with 2 players

Half the problem Bela has been as well the lack of continuity  between our back four as well. Whilst the coaching of JVS doesn't help much either how can we expect our back 4 to develop a good understanding between them when they've been out so much?

• Like 1

Just now, kingofhearts said:

Half the problem Bela has been as well the lack of continuity  between our back four as well. Whilst the coaching of JVS doesn't help much either how can we expect our back 4 to develop a good understanding between them when they've been out so much?

Agree but when our full backs are instructed to play so high up the park regardless of the opponents and tactics...

• Like 1

I missed this, but proper journalists a fortnight ago said Melbourne City do have some interest in Cahill for next season:

Tim Cahill leaves door open for return to domestic football

February 25, 2016

Tom Smithies and Carly Adno

WITH the war of words having died down between Tim Cahill and Football Federation Australia, there remains some hope that the Socceroos star will be lured to the A-League.

Cahill has left the door open for such a move by signing a five-month contract with Hangzhou Greentown and we can reveal that there are at least three A-League clubs, including Sydney FC, the Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne City, that are interested in negotiating with him for next season.

One of Cahill’s concerns, it’s believed, is that by signing with one A-League club he might alienate some of his other local fans.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-confidential-wanderers-goalkeeping-coach-zeljko-kalac-hits-tinder/news-story/37cf30fea68f3d652e5b8192592dc821

I'd like to get other people's thoughts on this but for quite a while this season I've felt City wants to make it a priority to get as many top shelf Australian players playing in the team as possible. I see this as a positive for a number of reasons. Relying on a big contingent of quality Australian based players allows us to field a stronger team if we play in Asia. I also think that the club doesn't want a strong reliance on international players simply for the image. I could see them wanting to have a strong image of the club promoting and being a club that has the best Aussie players playing for the club. I just get the feeling that this is the case. I can't see us having two international marquees, so in saying that there's a good chance Bruno will be given marquee position next season which will leave a marquee spot open, which will most likely be an Aussie. There's not really anyone else that fits that role other than Cahill. 

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'd like to get other people's thoughts on this but for quite a while this season I've felt City wants to make it a priority to get as many top shelf Australian players playing in the team as possible. I see this as a positive for a number of reasons. Relying on a big contingent of quality Australian based players allows us to field a stronger team if we play in Asia. I also think that the club doesn't want a strong reliance on international players simply for the image. I could see them wanting to have a strong image of the club promoting and being a club that has the best Aussie players playing for the club. I just get the feeling that this is the case. I can't see us having two international marquees, so in saying that there's a good chance Bruno will be given marquee position next season which will leave a marquee spot open, which will most likely be an Aussie. There's not really anyone else that fits that role other than Cahill. 

The only problem with the idea is that it will cripple the team everytime there's international duty.

The problem with Cahill is how he will fit into the team style and tactics?

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I fully agree that CFG want to sign as many top shelf Australian players as possible. Since CFG started recruiting for Melbourne City, they've signed:

- 6 Socceroos (Mooy, Kennedy, Paartalu, Franjic, Zullo, Wilkinson)

- 5 Olyroos (Chapman, Brown, Gameiro, Fitzgerald, Bouzanis)

- And 5 Australian youth internationals (Melling, Marino, Kuzmanovski, Malik, Trifiro)

Out of the 17 Australian players that CFG have signed, 16 have represented Australia at some level. Only Clisby (and maybe Richardson, if you want to count injury replacements) haven't played for Australia AFAIK.

The story is much the same with Visa players, with all of them being full senior internationals--Duff, Koren, Safuwan, Miller, Jaliens, Sorensen, Hughes--or youth internationals: Novillo, Fornaroli.

However, I'm not sure that CFG want at least one Australian player to be a marquee. IMO CFG have just significantly raised the standard of Melbourne City's recruiting, inside the cap or not.

IMO Mooy, and in the future Fornaroli, are perfect marquee players for Melbourne City in the judgement of CFG. CFG want the marquee players they sign to become big stars and big names in the A-League, as Mooy and Fornaroli have, and to be committed to the club and to ideally play for at least 2 seasons (with these thoughts in mind, it can be seen why CFG signed Koren, as he committed for 2 years and they assumed with his European experience that he could star in the A-League [they just happened to be colossally wrong]).

So I'd say if CFG can find another player like Fornaroli, they might sign him up to be our second marquee next season, assuming Mooy goes to Europe after this season's finished (more likely than unlikely IMO). I don't think they need to sign a Socceroo to the marquee spot; I just reckon they want 2 talented players who aren't like Luis Garcia (ancient big name players on their last legs). Hopefully our next marquee signing (besides Fornaroli) is another young player (right side of 30, or maybe just over), without injury concerns, who can star at Melbourne City for at least 2 seasons. And I'm tipping our next marquee to be exactly that.

P.S. On Cahill, if he's fit enough to play for one full season (all 27 games), then I wouldn't rule out CFG signing him for next season. He's such an exceptional case, and would be a massive bums on seats draw, and would be reason enough to go against the marquee policy I'm seeing the club develop with Koren, Mooy and Fornaroli. 

Edited by Murfy1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

That's true regarding national duty.

And we've suffered from that in past seasons - Mauk is the player who comes readily to mind. It's actually best to have a squad of good players who are just outside NT consideration, even for training camps.

I'm afraid that I completely disagree with you over visa players. Asia only becomes relevant once you've qualified to play in Asia, and with every other team in the league making maximum use of their five visa players we're unlikely to ever qualify if we don't also do the same thing.

This season City is the perfect example of how not to use your five visa places intelligently.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I fully agree that CFG want to sign as many top shelf Australian players as possible. Since CFG started recruiting for Melbourne City, they've signed:

- 6 Socceroos (Mooy, Kennedy, Paartalu, Franjic, Zullo, Wilkinson)

- 5 Olyroos (Chapman, Brown, Gameiro, Fitzgerald, Bouzanis)

- And 5 Australian youth internationals (Melling, Marino, Kuzmanovski, Malik, Trifiro)

Mooy was pre-CFG, wasn't he?

Edited by Murfy1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And we've suffered from that in past seasons - Mauk is the player who comes readily to mind. It's actually best to have a squad of good players who are just outside NT consideration, even for training camps.

I'm afraid that I completely disagree with you over visa players. Asia only becomes relevant once you've qualified to play in Asia, and with every other team in the league making maximum use of their five visa players we're unlikely to ever qualify if we don't also do the same thing.

This season City is the perfect example of how not to use your five visa places intelligently.

Have we suffered that badly in the past. Besides a number of youth players and Mooy who have we had to let go for national duty? 

Regarding visa players ACL was just one benefit of having a strong contingent of Aussid players. Also I didn't say anything about not utilising our visa positions, but that the club may not want an over reliance on visa players to make a difference. The point is to have enough Australian quality to not have to bring in the David Villa standard of player to create a winning team. 

19 minutes ago, Moraiwe said:

Mooy was pre-CFG, wasn't he?

Correct, my bad. 

The point still stands though that CFG have only signed 1 non-international, Jack Clisby (a mid-season signing to strengthen the defence), out of the almost 30 players that they've signed to Melbourne City since the takeover.

7 hours ago, Blackout said:

The A-League should really consider a 4 + 1 in the next few years.

Yeah. The current set-up almost purposely impinges on quality. FFA really needs to do something to try to encourage better players to enter the league, who will then drip down their ability onto the younger domestic players. After all, it's only by playing the players who are better than you that you learn anything. There's not enough of that right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't find the transfer thread so i thought i'd put my two cents here.

Just finished watching the Southend Vs Sheffield in League One in England Football and one player stood out for mine. This guy goes by the name of Jack Payne, plays for Southend, managed to bag MOTM, but jeez he looks like a solid player.

The commentary team were banging on about him for a good three minutes post-match, he's really that good. He's a midfielder, short lad, but looks like a decent replacement for Aaron Mooy if he leaves. Scored the goal that sealed it for Southend and kept their League One playoff hopes alive.

EDIT: just running through the highlights post-game they're showing, there's so much about him that is exactly like Aaron Mooy. If i can find highlights of this match i'll pass it through here. He's also out of contract at end of season and looking for a new Club by the looks of it.

Edited by possiblygeorge

1 hour ago, possiblygeorge said:

Can't find the transfer thread so i thought i'd put my two cents here.

Just finished watching the Southend Vs Sheffield in League One in England Football and one player stood out for mine. This guy goes by the name of Jack Payne, plays for Southend, managed to bag MOTM, but jeez he looks like a solid player.

The commentary team were banging on about him for a good three minutes post-match, he's really that good. He's a midfielder, short lad, but looks like a decent replacement for Aaron Mooy if he leaves. Scored the goal that sealed it for Southend and kept their League One playoff hopes alive.

EDIT: just running through the highlights post-game they're showing, there's so much about him that is exactly like Aaron Mooy. If i can find highlights of this match i'll pass it through here. He's also out of contract at end of season and looking for a new Club by the looks of it.

He's 21 years of age and if you say he is mooyesk then dont think he'll be looking to move to the Aleague.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2016 at 1:17 PM, Tonyboozeadams said:

Rosicky to replace Mooy next season please

As much as I love Rosicky and think his quality and play style would thrive in this league, he's physically broken and would spend most of his time in the Physio room. 

Edited by Embee

20 minutes ago, Embee said:

As much as I love Rosicky and think his quality and play style would thrive in this league, he's physically broken and would spend most of his time in the Physio room. 

Well the Germano medical centre is only occupied by Corey at the moment.....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We have a fitness crisis, too many of our players are fit and the jobs of hundreds of dedicated doctors and nurses in The Jonaton Germano Treatment Centre are threatened. I'm going to start a change.org petition to try and save their jobs

Don't fret we still got to get back from those butchers across the nullabor.

• Like 1