Melbourne Football

WSW vs Melbourne City Friday 7:40 3rd April

Baka1

So, Chapman's back, presumably. Mooy/Baharudin/Melling?

Another massive game for us, not only to keep/build the advantage over Brisbane, but with four of the teams above us playing each other, we stand a real chance of getting within striking distance of one or two of them.

These are the types of games we just generally struggle with which is concerning.

WSW have nothing to play for but pride, whilst the weight of pressure is on us.  This usually creates a nervous situation for our club, especially given its away from home and theres still a lot riding on this match for us. We did it in Sydney when we weren't meant to, but can we win one away from home when we are favourites to do so? We will see.

WSW have also lifted their game up a few notches since we played them last time, which certainly raises a few red flags. Bulut alone is a huge threat (on and off the park :lol: ).

I can see us playing a defensive gameplan again, judging on the last few weeks, which isn't wise against WSW. We will need to be on our game in the front 3rd too, taking our chances and running them around to create space and passing opportunities into more attacking positions.

Last time around we just did not make the most of our chances early on and let them into the game. For a side that still has a few threats available to them, thats just not going to cut it.

These are the types of games we just generally struggle with which is concerning.

WSW have nothing to play for but pride, whilst the weight of pressure is on us.  This usually creates a nervous situation for our club, especially given its away from home and theres still a lot riding on this match for us. We did it in Sydney when we weren't meant to, but can we win one away from home when we are favourites to do so? We will see.

WSW have also lifted their game up a few notches since we played them last time, which certainly raises a few red flags. Bulut alone is a huge threat (on and off the park :lol: ).

I can see us playing a defensive gameplan again, judging on the last few weeks, which isn't wise against WSW. We will need to be on our game in the front 3rd too, taking our chances and running them around to create space and passing opportunities into more attacking positions.

Last time around we just did not make the most of our chances early on and let them into the game. For a side that still has a few threats available to them, thats just not going to cut it.

I thought that WSW were still in the ACL. In which case they would use the remainder of the A-League season as practice for the ACL.

Mixed feelings about starting Chapman. It was against WSW that he got the red and not sure if the Wanderers lads know how to really get under his skin. They are a niggly team with a lot of lip. Whilst I understand the idea of getting back on the horse, Jaliens and PK have combined pretty well in the last few matches so if it ain't broke......

We can't affor another snap - this is one of the more winnable final games. Will be interesting to see the team selection.

• Like 1

Mixed feelings about starting Chapman. It was against WSW that he got the red and not sure if the Wanderers lads know how to really get under his skin. They are a niggly team with a lot of lip. Whilst I understand the idea of getting back on the horse, Jaliens and PK have combined pretty well in the last few matches so if it ain't broke......

We can't affor another snap - this is one of the more winnable final games. Will be interesting to see the team selection.

hmmm, I thought he still has one more week to serve...

He's not the only player to ever get a red card so i wouldnt rule him out just becuase of that.

In saying that though, i'd be reluctant to change a good thing down back considering we've kept 3 straight clean sheets

it was a 3 week ban wasnt it?

He's missed the Newcastle, Sydney and Brisbane game already

I'd still bring him in and move Jaliens to right full back, Safuwan or Clisby left back. I like Clisby's hunger to get forward but he doesn't fill me with confidence with a winger in possession bearing down on him. Saf played well against Thailand as a DM and Thailand's goals came from when he was off the pitch getting treated for a knock.

He's missed the Newcastle, Sydney and Brisbane game already

3+1 the hearing was after Newcastle game. Still has 1 more week.

He's missed the Newcastle, Sydney and Brisbane game already 3+1 the hearing was after Newcastle game. Still has 1 more week.

yeah, that's what I thought too.

• Like 1

I'd have no problem with Chapman starting on the bench, since the defence has been performing well without him. However, it didn't seem like the opposition got under his skin last time, he just lost the plot. If anyone, it was the referee and that's where his aggression was channeled (the penalty, shortly followed by the non-foul - which shouldn't have mattered anyway - and the subsequent red card).

hmmm, I thought he still has one more week to serve... it was a 3 week ban wasnt it?

He's missed the Newcastle, Sydney and Brisbane game already 3+1 the hearing was after Newcastle game. Still has 1 more week.

yeah, that's what I thought too.

You thought this for the very good reason that IT'S TRUE!

Chapman is suspended for one more game.  He got the mandatory 1 week and sent to the tribunal or whatever it is and they gave him three more.

it would not go well for Melbourne City if they selected him.

• Like 1

It will be interesting if Melling is fit enough to return this week.

This is the side I would like to see

Velaphi

Safuwan

Jaliens

Paddy

Clisby

Retre

Melling (if not available then Germano)

Mooy

Williams

Koren (more as a false nine)

Novillo

Subs:

Redmayne

Germano (if Melling is fit, otherwise he starts, then Paartalu comes in on the bench)

Murdocca

Kennendy

Ramsay

I know my selections will raise a few eyebrows, but I believe that we need to change things about a bit. One to refresh the side, the other to ensure we don't push certain players too much for fear of them getting injured.

Therefore the only change I would make in the back four would be to bring Saf into the RB position. Retre has done well there, but it isn't his best position. However, I would like to see him playing in Paartalu's role as IMO Erik is struggling to make an impact.

It would be nice to see Melling back, and if this happens then I would have Germano on the bench, just to ensure we don't over do it with him. Of course, if Melling isn't fit then Germano would play.

Finally, I know Kennedy started and was responsible for the goal against Brisbane. However, I believe for this game it would be better for him to come off the bench where he may get more room against tiring legs. With no other recognised striker, I would allow Koren a free role to see if he could make an impact with Novillo and Williams using their pace in the wide positions.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 2

You're hard on Germano there Silva. Surely he keeps his place. In any case I doubt we'd want to throw Melling straight in if he is fit. He can come off the bench.

Well I don't see it as dropping him, rather than ensure he is fighting fit for the play offs. He has struggled with fitness all season and the last two games played 60 and 90 minutes. Just would hate to see him pick up an injury by us pushing him too quickly.

It seems Melling is unlikely to be fit anyway, so I expect Germano to play.

FWIW I also expect Paartalu and Kennedy to play, and I feel those two shouldn't start.

• Like 1

You're hard on Germano there Silva. Surely he keeps his place. In any case I doubt we'd want to throw Melling straight in if he is fit. He can come off the bench.

Well I don't see it as dropping him, rather than ensure he is fighting fit for the play offs. He has struggled with fitness all season and the last two games played 60 and 90 minutes. Just would hate to see him pick up an injury by us pushing him too quickly.

FWIW I also expect Paartalu and Kennedy to play, and I feel those two shouldn't start.

IMO Germano needs to keep going. Has been awesome in the games he has started. I'd understand being careful with him is a good idea, but consdiering our last 3 games, i'd think we need to really get a result in this game to ensure we realy cement that finals spot.

• Like 1

IMO Germano needs to keep going. Has been awesome in the games he has started. I'd understand being careful with him is a good idea, but consdiering our last 3 games, i'd think we need to really get a result in this game to ensure we realy cement that finals spot.

While his form justifies it, I think Germano has to stay in the team. There is no use nursing him now. He's playing for his future at the club and if he suffers another soft tissue injury between now and the end of our season, I just don't think we can possibly justify keeping him.

While his form justifies it, I think Germano has to stay in the team. There is no use nursing him now. He's playing for his future at the club and if he suffers another soft tissue injury between now and the end of our season, I just don't think we can possibly justify keeping him.

Pains me to say it, but your spot on. Really hope that he doesnt and we find a way to keep this bloke.

Hes pretty much put Paartalu's selection in the 11 hard to justify atm. Lets hope he keeps it up and stays injury free

btw is Mooy even back for this game for sure?

They haven't said but when I looked at flights and timings I think we would have him arriving at best Friday morning back in Sydney... Get off the plane from Europe and start a match? Would be a big ask, regardless of the player's fitness. Bench at best surely based on that flight info.

btw is Mooy even back for this game for sure?

They haven't said but when I looked at flights and timings I think we would have him arriving at best Friday morning back in Sydney... Get off the plane from Europe and start a match? Would be a big ask, regardless of the player's fitness. Bench at best surely based on that flight info.

If thats the case,  he wont play or be in the squad period.

Better to have him fresh and ready to go for Wellington next week