Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

Yes, Sidwell and co were open to offers for several years, during that time they were determined to remain profitable and invest the minimal amount required. remember that there was also a Chinese team of investors looking at Heart at much the same time. It was just another business investment, they wanted to be profitable or at least minimise losses and exposure, and sell at a profit. 

20 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think there is a 4th demographic. 

New generation of kids. Just from my local junior club at training it's pretty much a fifty/fifty split of kids wearing city victory tops.

These are the future fans/supporters /season ticket holders.

Those 10k new victory members are most likely majority from this group. So it may sound optimistic but in the years decades to come the new generation kids will have a choice and most likely we will be looking at minimum of 50% take up unless we are dramatically successful or disastrously unsuccessful. 

This. Soccer is a very popular sport for young boys and, particularly now, young girls. MCFC should be making a huge noise among the younger generation. Not only is this where the future supporters will come from but will also here and now encourage the parents to get involved.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Like to correct one thing. Sidwell had put Heart up for sale and had had multiple approaches, so the status quo was not going to continue.( Sidwell admitted they'd had multiple approaches though he claimed these were unsolicited, which was difficult to believe)

Heart was going to be bought by someone.

Yep, I think the notion that it was inevitable that Heart was going to go under is not necessarily accurate. Sidwell was going to sell to someone and I think there is a very good chance that the new owner would have capitalised on the two true competitive advantages that we had: that we were based in one of Australia's two big cities; and that we had one of the best stadiums in the league, with massive potential for growth once we put the results on the board.

Didn't we sell for about as much, if not more than Wanderers at around the same time? That's because Wanderers don't have anywhere near the potential for growth that we had and have. If the ownership of a professional sporting club in Melbourne is willing to spend money (wisely) and gets good results, it is very, very hard for it to fail, because Melburnians come out and support a winning team.

13 hours ago, n i k o said:

Not suprising. Sidwell is Melbournes number 1 ticket holder. 

And AFAIK all the Sidwell Syndicate members are life members of Melbourne City by invitation of our current owners. And rightly so IMO. I'm a bit of a Sidwell supporter - after all, he and his syndicate did get our club up and running without any financial assistance from FFA whatsoever, and yes, perhaps the management wasn't the best or the investment the biggest it could have been, but I don't think he deserves the fairly regular criticism he receives on here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And AFAIK all the Sidwell Syndicate members are life members of Melbourne City by invitation of our current owners. And rightly so IMO. I'm a bit of a Sidwell supporter - after all, he and his syndicate did get our club up and running without any financial assistance from FFA whatsoever, and yes, perhaps the management wasn't the best or the investment the biggest it could have been, but I don't think he deserves the fairly regular criticism he receives on here.

I disagree with you on that jw, whatever was Sidwell thinking? Had he just not thought things through or done inadequate research? Did he really have any intention after season 1 of Heart being a seriously competitive team with the level of investment the team was prepared to make? Didn't he notice that Aloisi was a hopeless coach and that team recruitment was getting worse? Sure, it wasn't a public company so he wasn't responsible to shareholders but he was responsible to other stakeholders like the fans. I'd love to see the expectations the heart syndicate had in their business plan.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I disagree with you on that jw, whatever was Sidwell thinking? Had he just not thought things through or done inadequate research? Did he really have any intention after season 1 of Heart being a seriously competitive team with the level of investment the team was prepared to make? Didn't he notice that Aloisi was a hopeless coach and that team recruitment was getting worse? Sure, it wasn't a public company so he wasn't responsible to shareholders but he was responsible to other stakeholders like the fans. I'd love to see the expectations the heart syndicate had in their business plan.

This

Sidwell was a clueless cunt who ran into money issues with his wife, not a great recipe for success. Such a shame, R.I.P heart :(

Edited by True Until I die

Have already posted on City Voice about the shambolic nature of the Chinese New Year comp, but am pissed right off so I'm going to bring it up here.

So to recap for those not on City Voice, I entered my email address to receive a verification code for the Golden Envelope competition. Entered the code in, was told I'd won a home city shirt, but afterwards heard nothing. I rang the club a week or so later to see what the deal was, to be told there were logistical issues and that they were still figuring out how to send out prizes. I was also told my details would be passed on to the relevant department, and that someone would be in contact shortly. It is 2 months later and hadn't heard anything........... Until tonight!

No, the club did not get back to me to discuss my prize. In stead, I receive an email from Manchester City. MANCHESTER FUCKING CITY!

It reads: 'Following your sign up to receive communications from Manchester City Football Club via our Chinese New Year competition, you have been successfully added to our email list.'

I don't give a shit about not receiving a prize. In fact I'd totally forgotten about it altogether. Hell, I'd even stopped giving a shit about handing over my email address and details to what was clearly an entity based in China. But I don't think I need to explain why I find this email so fucking offensive, on a number of levels. I was already thinking about walking away after 6 long, unsuccessful years as a Heart/City member due to the way this franchise is being used. This is just another nail in the coffin.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pete Heartspur said:

Have already posted on City Voice about the shambolic nature of the Chinese New Year comp, but am pissed right off so I'm going to bring it up here.

So to recap for those not on City Voice, I entered my email address to receive a verification code for the Golden Envelope competition. Entered the code in, was told I'd won a home city shirt, but afterwards heard nothing. I rang the club a week or so later to see what the deal was, to be told there were logistical issues and that they were still figuring out how to send out prizes. I was also told my details would be passed on to the relevant department, and that someone would be in contact shortly. It is 2 months later and hadn't heard anything........... Until tonight!

lol i won a visor before the site crashed and still haven't received anything, i'd be hassling them non stop for the shirt

12 hours ago, Pete Heartspur said:

they were still figuring out how to send out prizes.

Lol. You put the shirt in a satchel, write the address on the front and send it in the post. Possibly the worst excuse i have heard- and i have a heard some pearlers at this club over the years

3 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Lol. You put the shirt in a sa😅tchel, write the address on the front and send it in the post. Possibly the worst excuse i have heardd- and have a heard some pearlers at this club over the years

I didn't really need them to tell me what was going on. Having followed the club long enough that was blindingly obvious. But you can only get away with those bullshit excuses if you actually follow up with what you have said you'll do. Fuck me! They didn't even use the buying of time to come up with a decent bullshit excuse!

But like I said, i'm not angry about the competition and not receiving my prize, I'd totally forgotten about it. But it seems to me that they're not even trying to be a separate entity to the other CFG clubs anymore. I mean i knew that was the case, but you could at least not be so blatant about it.

I'd have at least some respect for CFG if they'd just paid money for sponsorship and advertising, rather than buying a franchise and trying to parade it around as a legitimate football club.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

They're plastic franchises, just accept them for what they are and enjoy the game

Unfortunately i can only do that to a certain degree. And to be honest besides watching bruno and mooy plying their trade, and catching up with friends at games, i haven't really enjoyed much at all. 

Anyhoo, i've made my feelings clear so i won't keep bleating on about it.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Heartspur said:

Unfortunately i can only do that to a certain degree. And to be honest besides watching bruno and mooy plying their trade, and catching up with friends at games, i haven't really enjoyed much at all. 

Anyhoo, i've made my feelings clear so i won't keep bleating on about it.

Once we have a better manager and players with some depth in the squad, you will enjoy the games..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Lol New York City FC have started the season terribly.

At the back of my mind is CFG could just cut their losses if its non-core clubs ie everyone other than Man City, keep under achieving.  Do they have the personnel, and the will to spread themselves across several continents and keep losing money?

Despite my dislike for pushing the City brand on to this club, I do enjoy having their money supporting it.  If that were to end, it would be disastrous for the league and the second Melbourne club.

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

At the back of my mind is CFG could just cut their losses if its non-core clubs ie everyone other than Man City, keep under achieving.  Do they have the personnel, and the will to spread themselves across several continents and keep losing money?

Despite my dislike for pushing the City brand on to this club, I do enjoy having their money supporting it.  If that were to end, it would be disastrous for the league and the second Melbourne club.

If they are wanting to run CFG as a business and they keep losing money then they will need to make big decisions: 1) sell-up 2) start listening to fans and drop the cloning 

CFG needs to learn that cloning does not work! Each league is different, as so they have to adapt. Otherwise, putting a square peg into a round hole will not, in a million years, fit. They can have all the nicest football philosophy in the world but if they fail to realize that there are so many variables, for example dealing with the amateurs, which is the FFA, is different to dealing with EPL, Australian football fans are again different to UK fans. Sometimes I wonder whether they learnt anything at all from last year.

• Like 1

This all seems to be a large overreaction to me. If you expect that any other sporting club wouldn't delete comments calling for the coaches head on a club funded fan interaction forum then I suggest you're being a little naive.

I'm no CFG apologist, and I myself have issues with how they've handled certain things since the takeover, but I think they're doing a decent enough job so far of trying to guide this club in the right direction, off-field especially. The whole 'clone' discussion is a bit confusing to me, they own us and our colours are the same as their other teams, yes, I can see the clone argument there, but outside of that I don't think it's an argument that holds any weight. There is admittedly some cross promotion in terms of competitions where you can win trips to Manchester etc but I don't really pay attention and find the only time my attention is drawn to any of this is through people bringing it up here.

The club is actually undertaking a lot of the off-field actions that the Heart originally promised they would. They're attempting to attract families and create a positive environment for them with initiatives like the City Square or whatever it's called, they're making a concerted effort to contribute to charities and not-for-profit organisations and are encouraging the fans to do the same. I'm not 100% sure on what they're doing in regards to grass-roots football, but I'm sure there's something happening there.

We've also seen the club continue to look towards local youth where possible, signing and playing the likes of Melling, Mauk (cunt), Chapman and Kuzi. We've also seen some recent Socceroos who previously would have been out of our reach/signed as Marquees brought into the club in Zullo, Franjic and Wilko. 

It's been what, 3 years since they took over and and probably about 6 months less than that since they made the changes to the name and kits. Of course it's all still going to feel a little weird, contrary to what people will tell you, a lot of a team's identity is built based on what they do on the field. Aside from their fans being absolute scum, what we think of when we hear the word Victory is in direct correlation to how we perceive their players to behave on the pitch, and, unfortunately, a relatively strong culture of winning. Brisbane? The aesthetically brilliant and efficient football they played under Ang is what comes to mind for me. Central Coast? The over-achieving battlers who constantly remained competitive with, to be fair, fairly average teams and a solid coach. You could go on all day.

Realistically, at the risk of sounding harsh, we all knew what we were signing up for when we decided to stay on after the takeover, or in the case of some, jump on the bandwagon. Continuously pointing to this perceived cloning or plastic element just seems pointless to me. Hop and enjoy the ride, form some memories and let the club's identity and history build in front of your eyes or decide this isn't for you and go watch some NPL or something.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Embee said:

Hop and enjoy the ride, form some memories and let the club's identity and history build in front of your eyes or decide this isn't for you and go watch some NPL or something.

Sorry, but this is a really shit attitude and i am so sick of people saying things like this.

A huge part of football culture and a principal reason for its global success is the relationship between fan and club. Fans should not simply be passengers, they should be a part of the club and the club a part of them. To be told to "sit back and enjoy the ride" is overlooking a key reason many people are here. 

A club is only plastic if people allow it to become plastic

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Sorry, but this is a really shit attitude and i am so sick of people saying things like this.

A huge part of football culture and a principal reason for its global success is the relationship between fan and club. Fans should not simply be passengers, they should be a part of the club and the club a part of them. To be told to "sit back and enjoy the ride" is overlooking a key reason many people are here. 

A club is only plastic if people allow it to become plastic

You've completely misinterpreted my point mate. I'm not quite even sure how you've come to that conclusion based on what I've said at all and to be honest I don't really appreciate the suggestion of that being a shit attitude.

The highlighted part of your response is something I agree with and feel very passionately about, otherwise I wouldn't pour a silly amount of my personal time into some of the things I do in regards to the club and terrace.

My point was simply that you can whinge and complain about everything the club does, about how you don't like the way it looks and feels or what it represents (not saying you specifically by the way), or you can get on board, get involved and be a part of where the club is going; go to matchdays and experience the highs and lows, have a drink with some people at the pub and make new friends and spend time with old ones. Help the club shape it's identity, club's feel a particular way to their fans through personal experience; "form memories and let the club's identity form in front of your eyes", how is that a shit attitude? I don't even see what part of my post you're attacking aside from misinterpreting the very first 5 words of it. 

"A club is only plastic if people allow it to become plastic". Um, yes. And I wrote up an entire post about why I didn't feel it was plastic and the things about the club that I didn't perceive as being plastic.

Again, I'm not quite sure what the point of that reply was and why you cherry-picked that one line out of my entire post to stamp your feet about.

Edited by Embee

Embee, I'd just like to say that joining City Voice, posting to it, doing the surveys etc. is indeed part of trying to shape the club's identity, but as I've posted in the City Voice thread there was a more mature way of removing unwanted posts than simply deleting them and the threads they were made in.
I'd also make the point that if you want to own and run football clubs around the world, and engage in meaningful dialogue with your supporters, then you'd better harden up and be prepared to take a bit of flak now and then.

3 minutes ago, Embee said:

You've completely misinterpreted my point mate. To be honest I'm not quite even sure how you've come to that conclusion based on what I've said at all and to be honest I don't really appreciate the suggestion of that being a shit attitude.

The highlighted part of your response is something I agree with and feel very passionately about, otherwise I wouldn't pour a silly amount of my personal time into some of the things I do in regards to the club and terrace.

My point was simply that you can whinge and complain about everything the club does, about how you don't like the way it looks and feels or what it represents (not saying you specifically by the way), or you can get on board, get involved and be a part of where the club is going; go to matchdays and experience the highs and lows, have a drink with some people at the pub and make new friends and spend time with old ones. Help the club shape it's identity; "form memories and let the club's identity form in front of your eyes", how is that a shit attitude? I don't even see what part of my post you're attacking aside from misinterpreting the very first 5 words of it. 

"A club is only plastic if people allow it to become plastic". Um, yes. And I wrote up an entire post about why I didn't feel it was plastic and the things about the club that I didn't feel were plastic.

Again, I'm not quite sure what the point of that reply was and why you cherry-picked that one line out of entire post to stamp your feet about.

The point was all the stuff about community engagement, etc is completely irrelevant if people dont feel like they are a part of the club.

You are telling people they are overreacting because city are deleting their comments from a forum designed to communicate with the club. As mentioned in the other thread they  dont have to say "yeah you're right" or anything like that but a simple polite explanation for the deletion would be much better than just simply deleting. It makes it look as though the issue is being swept under the carpet and fans are not being heard, which just makes things worse. Relationships are strained at best, so to sit back and watch is not (what i think) is needed.

If fans want to vent then they have every right to. Especially if we are given a platform to communicate with the club.  

Just now, jw1739 said:

Embee, I'd just like to say that joining City Voice, posting to it, doing the surveys etc. is indeed part of trying to shape the club's identity, but as I've posted in the City Voice thread there was a more mature way of removing unwanted posts than simply deleting them and the threads they were made in.
I'd also make the point that if you want to own and run football clubs around the world, and engage in meaningful dialogue with your supporters, then you'd better harden up and be prepared to take a bit of flak now and then.

I agree, I think it's a positive initiative and something the fans should go out of their way to be involved in if they have a grievance to voice, suggestion to make or positive feedback too.

I stand by the comment that I think it's naive to expect any other action aside from them deleting those comments though. I'm not quite sure what people want them to do and think this response has been pretty standard in comparison to what you could expect from most sporting organizations, if they even had this kind of outlet in the first place.

I'm more concerned about what they actually do here rather than how they address the CityVoice comments about him. If they don't move him on that's what I'll be more upset about.

14 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

The point was all the stuff about community engagement, etc is completely irrelevant if people dont feel like they are a part of the club.

You are telling people they are overreacting because city are deleting their comments from a forum designed to communicate with the club. As mentioned in the other thread they  dont have to say "yeah you're right" or anything like that but a simple polite explanation for the deletion would be much better than just simply deleting. It makes it look as though the issue is being swept under the carpet and fans are not being heard, which just makes things worse. Relationships are strained at best, so to sit back and watch is not (what i think) is needed.

If fans want to vent then they have every right to. Especially if we are given a platform to communicate with the club.  

Well that's not really how that reply came across at all, but cheers for clearing it up.

Yes, I am, and I stand by that. I honestly don't understand what people expect, a nice little announcement referencing the fact they're deleting posts regarding JVS' job would do what exactly? Reassure people that they're actually reading those posts before deleting them? It just strikes me as an unrealistic need for validation of their opinions and gripes. But hey, fine, let them post a little blurb advising they're going to be deleting comments regarding JVS' job if that's what would make people happy. However, I think you'd find people would just complain about being censored if that was the case, lose-lose as far as I'm concerned.

Again, you've completely twisted the 'sit back and watch' comment from what I originally meant it to mean to a completely different point entirely. That's not what I meant and I clarified it for you in my reply.

I don't have an issue with people venting and I never said I did, but I don't think expecting constant validation of every single issue you have every time you voice it is realistic. People aren't going to like that, I understand that entirely, but there are some things the club aren't going to address publicly with fans and I feel this is fairly uniform across not only Football clubs but most sports in general.

Edited by Embee

4 minutes ago, Embee said:

Well that's not really how that reply came across at all, but cheers for clearing it up.

Yes, I am, and I stand by that. I honestly don't understand what people expect, a nice little announcement referencing the fact they're deleting posts regarding JVS' job would do what exactly? Reassure people that they're actually reading those posts before deleting them? It just strikes me as an unrealistic need for validation of their opinions and gripes. But hey, fine, let them post a little blurb advising they're going to be deleting comments regarding JVS' job if that's what would make people happy. However, I think you'd find people would just complain about being censored if that was the case, lose-lose as far as I'm concerned.

Again, you've completely twisted the 'sit back and watch' comment from what I originally meant it to mean to a completely different point entirely. That's not what I meant and I clarified it for you in my reply.

I don't have an issue with people venting and I never said I did, but I don't think expecting constant validation of every single issue you have every time you voice it is realistic. People aren't going to like that, I understand that entirely, but there are some things the club aren't going to address publicly with fans and I feel this is fairly uniform across not only Football clubs but most sports in general.

All good man. Its been a pretty shitty weekend so i was probably a bit quick to snap. Reading this under my desk on my mobile at work probably didnt help either. 

7 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Just copy and paste replies into a blank email. Or be reckless and dgaf

Haha yeah i am a mess. 

Long story short- i am still full of blind rage after friday and am sick to shit of this club avoiding the same issues. What i actually want is for every anti JVS comment on city voice to be replied to with "dont worry. We didnt even let him on the plane back to Melbourne and he has to find his own way back to germania or where ever the fuck that cunt is from"

And when ever i hear stuff like "just get behind the club" i Hulk out

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

All good man. Its been a pretty shitty weekend so i was probably a bit quick to snap. Reading this under my desk on my mobile at work probably didnt help either. 

Haha no stress, hopefully John gets his severance package soon and all will be well in the world again.

Until we rehire Aloisi and the process resets.

• 2 weeks later...