Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

It's done through the Australian Sports Foundation basically the middleman where you get the tax receipt 

I don't care who it's through. I don't believe taxpayers should subsidise CFG and the UAE royal family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, citypool said:

Manchester City women's team going to Perth for a tournament 

Better get used to it...we are at the top of CFG's "couldn't care a stuff about you" list. Apart from the one-upmanship of owning more clubs than any other business, especially those from the ME, I'm surprised they didn't dump us years ago. Presumably they keep us in the vain hope of discovering the next Messi here and recouping all their Melbourne losses that way.

Further, the odds of Victoria helping in any way to stage a football tournament here are very low indeed. VicGov is just not interested, and it has a huge debt as the legacy of Andrews' mismanagement of our economy.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Joeys kick off their ASEAN U17 Championship campaign tonight at 6pm AEST vs Thailand. 

This tournament is only broadcast via Vidio https://m.vidio.com/categories/aff-u16 and may not be available in Australia.

Just now, citypool said:

The Joeys kick off their ASEAN U17 Championship campaign tonight at 6pm AEST vs Thailand. 

This tournament is only broadcast via Vidio https://m.vidio.com/categories/aff-u16 and may not be available in Australia.

A few Melbourne city lads in the squad if anyone is interested 

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/subway-joeys-squad-asean-u-16-boys-championship-confirmed

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, citypool said:

A few Melbourne city lads in the squad if anyone is interested 

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/subway-joeys-squad-asean-u-16-boys-championship-confirmed

I guess this is my point elsewhere. FA is prepared to name players, whereas we seem reluctant to do so.

Necovski we knew about, but not Benfield or Kutleshi.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I guess this is my point elsewhere. FA is prepared to name players, whereas we seem reluctant to do so.

Necovski we knew about, but not Benfield or Kutleshi.

The clubs should definitely be encouraging people to watch Australia youth teams and city youth teams. You won't get heaps watching but the hardcore fans like us will appreciate it 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, citypool said:

The clubs should definitely be encouraging people to watch Australia youth teams and city youth teams. You won't get heaps watching but the hardcore fans like us will appreciate it 

I used to go regularly to watch Heart youth when Aloisi and Papas were the coaches. They played out at Northcote City's ground. Usually on a Sunday afternoon.

No longer. No publicity via the club and I'm not going to spend time searching the internet.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I used to go regularly to watch Heart youth when Aloisi and Papas were the coaches. They played out at Northcote City's ground. Usually on a Sunday afternoon.

No longer. No publicity via the club and I'm not going to spend time searching the internet.

They play in cranbourne these days I wonder if many people go 

I think it would have been the NYL when I was going. So senior payers returning from injury could play - perhaps 2 per team? You were right up near the pitch or there was a good view from the stand, and of course Northcote opened their refreshment place under the stand and so you could get drinks and a bite to eat.

It was pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

We are referred to as consumer or retail customer, not fans.

I wonder what they call the players? Customer Service Assistants?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

You can pick any of the below.

image.png.75862547889b27549c59c6ed194de420.png

Over the years we've had a few that fit most of those! But we have seen some really top players in our jersey, and some stunning matches. Don't think I'll ever forget the first derby and the Paartalu derby...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, citypool said:

Question: should we still be playing at aami park? Our crowds have shrunk are we better off playing in a npl stadium or in cranbourne? 

IMO if we do that it will be "the end" for a whole lot of existing members and other supporters. AAMI Park is central. Not all our supporters come from the metro area, and to come into the city and then have another hike to some suburban location or to Cranbourne will be "a bridge too far." Also, don't forget that all those Foundation Members and early-season Heart supporters who got behind the club at the beginning are now a lot older, and their circumstances are a lot different now. They won't welcome change.

And it's a bloody sight harder to get support back than it is to lose it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO if we do that it will be "the end" for a whole lot of existing members and other supporters. AAMI Park is central. Not all our supporters come from the metro area, and to come into the city and then have another hike to some suburban location or to Cranbourne will be "a bridge too far." Also, don't forget that all those Foundation Members and early-season Heart supporters who got behind the club at the beginning are now a lot older, and their circumstances are a lot different now. They won't welcome change.

I think it's just a matter of time before the Dandenong stadium plans become reality, the club likely knows a lot more than they let on. The location there won't only be a football stadium but could become an entertainment district to also host concerts and other events. 

A similar commercial model is already rolled out in Manchester by consortium of investment groups including the CFG. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-op_Live

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I think it's just a matter of time before the Dandenong stadium plans become reality, the club likely knows a lot more than they let on. The location there won't only be a football stadium but could become an entertainment district to also host concerts and other events. 

A similar commercial model is already rolled out in Manchester by consortium of investment groups including the CFG. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-op_Live

I'm not convinced yet. There's supposed to be a new stadium for New York City, and I would have thought that the A-League is in such a parlous state that CFG wouldn't be desperate to put a whole lot more into Melbourne over and above what they've already committed.

But I don't think it changes my view. There's a world of difference between going to watch EPL football and the A-League, and I can't see the limited fan-base of Melbourne City adapting to hiking out to Dandenong very enthusiastically.

Edited by jw1739

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not convinced yet. There's supposed to be a new stadium for New York City, and I would have thought that the A-League is in such a parlous state that CFG wouldn't be desperate to put a whole lot more into Melbourne over and above what they've already committed.

But I don't think it changes my view. There's a world of difference between going to watch EPL football and the A-League, and I can't see the limited fan-base of Melbourne City adapting to hiking out to Dandenong very enthusiastically.

Too far for me.

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

When my mate said City were heading down to Casey he said the Stadium was part of it as well with CFG providing funding not sure how much but then covid 

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's not easy I don't want to ruin it for people who live far from Dandenong but the club is going nowhere at aami park. You can't have 5k in a 30k stadium it just devalues the league. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, citypool said:

It's not easy I don't want to ruin it for people who live far from Dandenong but the club is going nowhere at aami park. You can't have 5k in a 30k stadium it just devalues the league. 

Indeed. The horns of a dilemma. It actually applies to almost all the clubs. None really need anything more than 15,000. You have EPL clubs in stadiums smaller than AAMI Park - Brentford, Fulham, Brighton, Bournemouth just off the top of my head. Land is hard to come by, and buy and build is costly, and leasing is costly too. 

There is, in fact, available land, even disused stadiums, but then existing ownership and NIMBY kicks in...

IMO the thing that the club needs to think about - and won't of course - is to stop pissing off its rusted-on supporters and especially those who have been with the club since the Heart days. There comes a time when "enough is enough."

Sure, the club will survive as a business - if it wishes to - because its owners are very rich. But football is nothing without the fans. Absolutely nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, citypool said:

Send them over to Casey.

A cemetary has a better atmosphere than 2-3K at AAMI.

Another 20 minutes to Dandenong wont make a difference to crowd numbers but at least there is a potentional for a regional grassroots type of relationship to grow, which is much better than the souless sterile experience at AAMI.

• Like 1

I agree that AAMI Park is not ideal, but if the club does in fact move out to Casey or Dandenong for home games, that would be it for me. Travelling 2 hours plus for a game (which the move would add) isn't really inspiring for me personally. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cityzen81 said:

I agree that AAMI Park is not ideal, but if the club does in fact move out to Casey or Dandenong for home games, that would be it for me. Travelling 2 hours plus for a game (which the move would add) isn't really inspiring for me personally. 

There are other consumers in that area which will the void, that’s the unfortunate mindset.

13 hours ago, Zanty said:

Troyes got relegated to the French 3rd division which is semi professional I believe.

Actually, they have been re-instated to Ligue 2.

Ajaccio (who finished 15th in Ligue 2) were administratively relegated to the Championnat National for financial reasons, and so Troyes were reinstated back in Ligue 2.

Kind of justice served on Hamza Sakhi, who walked out on City, as he now finds himself in the Championnat National.... The long arm of CFG perhaps...??

Edited by jw1739
  • Haha 3