Melbourne Football

The Kew Jaliens thread

kingofhearts

I don't think it's that bad of a deal if he's an injury replacement for wielhart, I rate this guy better then wielaert and to have him sitting on the bench gives a bit of depth in the squad. I would play him ahead of Archibald anyday.

If JVS decides to play him ahead of Chapman, I will not know what to believe anymore.

• Like 1

So the jest get Boogard we sign Jaliens.

Which one is the better deal????

Different situation. We were offering an injury replacement contract for a few weeks and the jets were offering three years. I accept the circumstances are totally different. My point is the type and most importantly the age and potential of both players. Boogard is a bona-fide starter in most if not all squads. Jaliens will struggle to replace Chapman and Kisnorbo barring injuries. So we are bringing in a bloke to sit on the bench and maybe play if we get low on numbers. I think its a pointless and even backward move. Better to throw Archibald a challenge and see if he can cut it. So far instead of challenging our extended squad were bringing in more squad players.

It cant be pointless or backward as Weilaert is injured and Weilaert would be warming the bench if he was fit. Its a like for like replacement and Jaliens probably signed because he was happy to only sign on for a brief period. Archibald has already have chances and the last time he played at CB and it was pretty disastrous. 

Different situation. We were offering an injury replacement contract for a few weeks and the jets were offering three years.I accept the circumstances are totally different. My point is the type and most importantly the age and potential of both players. Boogard is a bona-fide starter in most if not all squads. Jaliens will struggle to replace Chapman and Kisnorbo barring injuries. So we are bringing in a bloke to sit on the bench and maybe play if we get low on numbers. I think its a pointless and even backward move. Better to throw Archibald a challenge and see if he can cut it. So far instead of challenging our extended squad were bringing in more squad players.

Archibald has been thrown the challenge twice this season, and failed fucking horribly. Probably true. Woeful in the first Wellington game and average in the opener at Sydney. So what that's it for him. If that was the case then why persist with Ramsay. I just do not see the point bringing in another guy that will not add anything to squad. Better not sign anyone. Really bad move.

Edited by Jovan

For one part the reasoning behind it is somewhat sound with Weilaert out with injury but at the same time it's very perplexing. Weialert has been out of favour since late November last year, so it's not like we have been relying on him since then. Plus we have Safuwan to back up both central defenders and right fullback. Maybe he has lost confidence in Kisnorbo and Safuwan? I don't know.

Then we have a definite hole on the left wing, and the only logic I can think of as to not filling it is he is expecting Duga to return and cover it. But even that seems like a gamble to rely on him to come back and stay healthy. Surely JVS must see the team has lost confidence in Ramsey and will avoid passing it to him. So it's almost like we are playing with ten men on the pitch at times.

Can someone think of a logical reason for these decisions? Because I just don't understand.

Edited by n i k o

For one part he reasoning behind it is somewhat sound with Weilaert out with injury but at the same time it's very perplexing. Weialert has been out of favour since late November last year, so it's not like we have been relying on him since then. Plus we have Safuwan to back up both central defenders and right fullback. Maybe he has lost confidence in Kisnorbo and Safuwan? I don't know.

Then we have a definite hole on the left wing, and the only logic I can think of as to not filling it is he is expecting Duga to return and cover it. But even that seems like a gamble to rely on him to come back and stay healthy. Surely JVS must see the team has lost confidence in Ramsey and will avoid passing it to him. So it's almost like we are playing with ten men on the pitch at times.

Can someone think of a logical reason for these decisions? Becasue I just don't understand.

This x10

For one part the reasoning behind it is somewhat sound with Weilaert out with injury but at the same time it's very perplexing. Weialert has been out of favour since late November last year, so it's not like we have been relying on him since then. Plus we have Safuwan to back up both central defenders and right fullback. Maybe he has lost confidence in Kisnorbo and Safuwan? I don't know.

Can someone think of a logical reason for these decisions? Because I just don't understand.

I can....our management team is shit!! Can I help you with anything else?  :D

That would be my first reason as well. For the moment I'm trying to beleive the decision actually has merit and is justifiable. Not an easy task.

That would be my first reason as well. For the moment I'm trying to beleive the decision actually has merit and is justifiable. Not an easy task.

It could have been a situation whereby Jaliens came to us and asked for a spot and they figured why not?

• Like 1

To be honest it is a piss poor signing on the form Jaliens has showed this season. If he wasn't trying for Newcastle, then it is still a piss poor signing. I guess a typical JVS signing.

Different situation. We were offering an injury replacement contract for a few weeks and the jets were offering three years. I accept the circumstances are totally different. My point is the type and most importantly the age and potential of both players. Boogard is a bona-fide starter in most if not all squads. Jaliens will struggle to replace Chapman and Kisnorbo barring injuries. So we are bringing in a bloke to sit on the bench and maybe play if we get low on numbers. I think its a pointless and even backward move. Better to throw Archibald a challenge and see if he can cut it. So far instead of challenging our extended squad were bringing in more squad players. Archibald has been thrown the challenge twice this season, and failed fucking horribly. Probably true. Woeful in the first Wellington game and average in the opener at Sydney. So what that's it for him. If that was the case then why persist with Ramsay. I just do not see the point bringing in another guy that will not add anything to squad. Better not sign anyone. Really bad move.

He was brought back in for the CCM game in January with Wielaart at RB, was subbed off at half time. Responsible for both of CCM's goals

If Jaliens is a better player than Wielaart he is adding to our squad. If theres an injury we've improved our depth. Im guessing they prefer Safuwan at RB rather than CB, although Safy's flexibility is another option for them. There is no money or salary cap space wasted here as its an injury replacement.

As far as wingers go there is probably two explanations: 1) Duff was only injured on Saturday so its unreasonable to assume we'd have a replacement already

and 2 ) as ive said elsewhere, injury replacements at this stage of the season are probably not going to be of any great quality, and are likely to be worse than what we've got in our squad already.

Knowing our luck I'd say 3 CB's isn't enough. Jaliens for Weilaert is fine with me, they're both as good as each other really (not very).

We definitely need to plug a hole on the LW, hopefully we sign an injury replacement for Duff who can do that.

Knowing our luck I'd say 3 CB's isn't enough. Jaliens for Weilaert is fine with me, they're both as good as each other really (not very).

We definitely need to plug a hole on the LW, hopefully we sign an injury replacement for Duff who can do that.

I would love to see us send Brandon Barker over....but very unlikely am afraid  :(

Remembering all the while of course that we went into this season with a completely unbalanced squad; only Hoffman as a possibly acceptable right full-back and having to rely on semi-converted wingers for left full-back. Did nothing about it until the season was half over when we picked up Clisby and Safuwan fell into our hands.

Yes, we have been hit by an injury crisis, but the root cause of our problems is absolutely shit management in terms of assembling a balanced squad before the season started. How the football department management survives is beyond me.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

Of course Jaliens is adding to our squad, but I know I wouldn't knowingly leave a position so exposed like our left wing is right now. We could get another midfielder that adds to the squad as well, but it won't make that much difference because there are players there already. We have Safuwan who has been playing centre back since he was 17 years of age. Why sign him only a month ago and now not utilise him? If he doesn't seem up to the standard then once again, JVS has fucked up big time. But the thing is he is here so we do have a back up for Kisnorbo and Chapman.

King Malta, Duff has been playing on the right, so if JVS saw the left as a problem he would have already replaced Duff for Ramsey and played someone else on the right wing.

It is a diabolical situation, we have no left wing, we are often playing with "ten men" on the pitch! Team unity has gone to shit becasue the players must be thinking similar thoughts, yet JVS doesn't seem to see reason behind bringing a player to fill that position.

That's the way I see things, maybe I'm wrong, but as I said I can't see how this is the very best way to improve the team and our results.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

Villa left us to go back to NY to do PR work. Hardly a crisis situation there.

Somebody please explain to me why in our hour of need we can't get a couple of injury replacements from within the CFG?

Like who?

Villa was a NY player, not ours.

NY are just about to start, and city players are too good to be coming back here.

That leaves City youth, who a) have to want to come, b ) need to suit the role we are offering, c) have to be worked into salary cap/wage constraints  and d) may not be good enough anyway.

Not saying there wont be players that fit the criteria, but a few things need to align to make it happen.

Somebody please explain to me why in our hour of need we can't get a couple of injury replacements from within the CFG?

Like who?

NY are just about to start, and city players are too good to be coming back here.

That leaves City youth, who a) have to want to come, b ) need to suit the role we are offering, c) have to be worked into salary cap/wage constraints  and d) may not be good enough anyway.

Not saying there wont be players that fit the criteria, but a few things need to align to make it happen.

Injury replacements are not subject to the salary cap.

Like who?

Injury replacements are not subject to the salary cap.

They are required to be under the same wage as the person that they are replacing.

Every club has players they wish they hadn't signed. And I mean EVERY club. The difference is most clubs have had periods where they have also signed the right players, players that will bring silverwear. I just wish in our five years we had just once had a team and coach capable of achieving such accolades.

• Like 5

anyone remember Marcel Meewuis? Lol. This clubs recruitment is an absolute disgrace.

anyone remember Aaron Mooy? Lol. This clubs recruitment is absolutely awesome.

under the cap I might add. Erik Paartalu? Under the cap. Damien Duff? Under the cap.

Fold the club.

• Like 1

Recruiting this season has been pretty decent .Mooy,Paartalu,Duff, Melling, Chapman and Kennedy.

Im still undecided on Brown,Baharudin and Koren.

Miller was a mistake and I feel Jaliens similar.

Overall I reackon its been very good just injuries and contracted spuds from the Heart era have damped expectations and results.

What's needed to give a massive boost and send a strong message would be a super player to replace Duff. Probably very difficult but all attempts need to made to bring in a gun.

• Like 1

Recruiting this season has been pretty decent .Mooy,Paartalu,Duff, Melling, Chapman and Kennedy.

Im still undecided on Brown,Baharudin and Koren.

Miller was a mistake and I feel Jaliens similar.

Overall I reackon its been very good just injuries and contracted spuds from the Heart era have damped expectations and results.

What's needed to give a massive boost and send a strong message would be a super player to replace Duff. Probably very difficult but all attempts need to made to bring in a gun.

Agree, although I don't think Miller or Jaliens are mistakes given they were injury replacements. They weren't a risk, given we are effectively paying nothing for them.

Just dont see what we gain. For me id prefer a youth team player get promoted.If they struggle then so be it.

I'd agree if we were well entrenched in the 6 and certain to play finals, or if we were at the bottom with no chance at all.

As we are in a scrap at the moment for 6th though, I can see why they would have thought they need some quick fix experience to try and get us over the line.

• Like 1

People just need to calm the fuck down.

It was never going to be about this season.We all know the amount of crap we still have in this squad with contracts that expire at seasons end so it was never going to happen with the salary cap.

One those players get shown the door, we'll have a lot more room to move in the cap and be able to buy players with a lot more quality.

I'll be happy with just making the finals atm considering we finished wooden spooners last season.

IMO it's an expression of general frustration that we haven't done better than we have, given all the hype surrounding the CFG takeover generally. Whether rightly or wrongly, many people did expect more than we've seen so far.

• Like 1

It was never going to be about this season.We all know the amount of crap we still have in this squad with contracts that expire at seasons end so it was never going to happen with the salary cap.

One those players get shown the door, we'll have a lot more room to move in the cap and be able to buy players with a lot more quality.

I'll be happy with just making the finals atm considering we finished wooden spooners last season.

Well, to make the finals we have to finish above Brisbane Roar. That doesn't look like happening.

IMO it's an expression of general frustration that we haven't done better than we have, given all the hype surrounding the CFG takeover generally. Whether rightly or wrongly, many people did expect more than we've seen so far.

I can see how people would of got carried away with the CFG takeover as a lot of people just assumed money=instant success.

Unfortunetly though in a capped league like ours, thats not the case. Especially when there are so many contracted players from the previous campaign. Gives CFG bugger all room to move in regards to improving the club on the pitch. IMO signings like Mooy, Paartalu, Melling, Chapman, Koren and Jesus have indicated to me that they have tried to do that. OK Koren hasnt done enough to suggest he deserves the "Marquee" tag, but i think the fact Mooy has been outstanding for is in a position that Koren normally plays in doesnt help. Jesus is a risk injury wise, but if he gets himself right can dominant the A League with the right service. The fact that CFG didnt mind waiting until the middle of the season to sign him indicates to me that they also are of the thinking that next season is when it really begins.

By then we will have this multi million dollar facility up and running, a Kennedy with a full pre season under his belt and some quality signings.

Will be all about next season. If we're still this shit by this time next year, then i just give up lol

Well, to make the finals we have to finish above Brisbane Roar. That doesn't look like happening.

The last three or so wins from the Roar was more of a case of the opposition losing than Roar winning. Their football has been horrible to watch this season and City have been playing much more attractive, much more convincing football, but at the end of the day we haven't been getting the results. If we had Victory's shots on goal to goal ratio, we'd be miles ahead of Perth.

Just dont see what we gain. For me id prefer a youth team player get promoted.If they struggle then so be it.

I thought this until I saw Archibald play. There seems to be a pretty big gap between the ability of some of our youth players and what is required in the A League.

There shouldn't be a massive gap between the ability of our youth players and what is required in the A League if we had a professional development system for young players in place.

I presume this is now being put in place following the ownership change?