Melbourne Football

Round 17: City v. Phoenix, Lower Hutt., 14 Feb, KO 3.00 p.m. AEST

jw1739

Amazing to get a draw from that game.

Positives:

Kennedy holds the ball up well and looks like he'll score plenty of goals

Velaphi poorly positioned at times but much more assured and solid than Redmayne.

Good sub from JVS bringing on Murdocca, we were less porous in midfield when he came on

Negatives:

Robbie Koren where are you?

Rambo - better than last week but still not good

?injury to Tando

Duff - that may be it for him if he has a fracture

2 games without scoring now

Can we field a full team of fit players next week?

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Will take a point but we struggled in that second half. 

At least we didn't fold. However, JVS has to be questioned again.

For one why didn't he take Dekker and Espinola to Abu Dhabi to see how they played with the first team?

I keep hearing they are not good enough, but neither is Ramsay, Dugandzic or Williams

If you don't have a goal threat then you are always going to be under pressure.

Also Koren needs to up his game or tear up his contract. He is a good player, but for whatever reason he isn't doing it.

We need someone like Burns up top. Someone with pace and skill who can make a difference.

Wasn't a shit performance either. Squad decimated by injuries, had the better of the first half and should have been up at the half. Wellington have a lot of class up front, were always going to come at us being the home team and we held out. Is a reason Wellington haven't lost in 11 games at home.Mostly due to Kisnorbo having his best game I've seen him play for us. Was a great backs to the wall performance from the lads. Koren, Clisby the only two who didn't get a pass mark for me.

Mooy a class above as usual. And Kennedy bosses the first half. Looking forward to him being fully fit and able to run out whole games.

Wrong decision bringing Ramsay off,wasn't as shit as usual.

Wasn't he? He shits out of tackles all day long.

The question is why was he on  the bench to bring on? 

I can't believe the NYL forward players are that poor. Especially has they are challenging at the top of the table.

The question is why was he on the bench to bring on?

I can't believe the NYL forward players are that poor. Especially has they are challenging at the top of the table. You would think Dekker has to be a shoo-in now

I can't believe the NYL forward players are that poor. Especially has they are challenging at the top of the table.You would think Dekker has to be a shoo-in now

I really hope they didn't bring over Dekker or Espindola because the youth team were playing a top of the table game and wanted their better players.

I can't believe the NYL forward players are that poor. Especially has they are challenging at the top of the table. You would think Dekker has to be a shoo-in now

I have never seen him and Espindola (I think that is how you spell it) but surely they are worth a try. Even on the bench.

Pretty pleased to take a point from this fixture, didn't expect to come away with anything pre-match.

Kennedy looked very good up top. His hold up play/flick ons were quality and whoever's playing wide for us should benefit from having a proper target man up front. Koren was basically invisible today, needs to do more. Should be playing a lot closer to Josh and trying to feed off his hold up play.

The back 4 looks so much more confident with Tando behind them. It's been said that Redders might be the one who's kept due to his contract having a year to run but Tando's clearly the better keeper. Should be doing whatever we can to get Redders off the books come season's end.

Good opponent at the end of a long trip. Any points from NZ this season are welcome.
I thought we edged the first 50 but were just hanging on after that and a lack of options off the bench meant there was little that could be done to change things up.
My only concern about performances is Koren, who seemingly thinks he's here for a holiday. Might be time for a quiet word, or even the selection axe. Salary doesn't keep you in the side, performance does.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

Good opponent at the end of a long trip. Any points from NZ this season are welcome.

I thought we edged the first 50 but were just hanging on after that and a lack of options off the bench meant there was little that could be done to change things up.

My only concern about performances is Koren, who seemingly thinks he's here for a holiday. Might be time for a quiet word, or even the selection axe. Salary doesn't cut you in the side, performance does.

Why would he care?  Money keeps rolling in either way.

Engelaar basically cost about $30 k per game, this guy will end up close to $50 k.

Here we go:

VELAPHI- Welcome back mate! It's obvious just how much of an effect he has on the back 4 when he's in goal. Difference in confidence is phenominal.

CLISBY- Was pretty poor today. You would have to put some of that down to Burns being too good, but was still a fairly poor game today. But he made some dodgy tackles showing he's a hard cunt so I like him.

CHAPMAN- Certainly wasn't his best game tonight but he was still fairly solid. Wore his heart on his sleeve all game as always and was the first in to defend Melling, absolutely love this kid.

KISNORBO- Vintage Paddy today! Where has this been all season? Was first to every tackle, passed well and that tackle to stop Krishna in the second half was all class. Hopefully somebody ripped into him after last week and it's fired him up.

BAHARUDIN- Looked pretty good today, looks like a good pickup so far. Was fairly decent going forward too.

MELLING- Absolute psycho as always. This kid is incredible. Love his attitude and the way he plays.

MOOY- Really stepped it up after last week and showed his class again. If he doesn't win the Johnny Warren medal it's a joke.

KOREN- Where was he today? Was either invisible or poor at all times. Definitely not looking worth the money at this point. Needs to really step it up or be dropped.

DUFF- Not looking good at all. He knew it was fucked the second it happened. Really hope it isn't serious.

WILLIAMS- Was actually pretty good today. Showed that he still has something to offer. Still missing the killer instinct of last season though.

KENNEDY- This guy. Looks like he's going to be immense for us. So good to finally have a real striker again.

RAMSAY- Wasn't as shit as usual, but certainly wasn't great.

MURDOCCA- Was a good move by JVS to bring him on, really solidified the midfield.

A decent performance overall. What we need is for the whole squad to get the same attitude as Melling and Chapman. They have the passion we have lacked for so long.

• Like 2

Here we go:

VELAPHI- Welcome back mate! It's obvious just how much of an effect he has on the back 4 when he's in goal. Difference in confidence is phenominal.

CLISBY- Was pretty poor today. You would have to put some of that down to Burns being too good, but was still a fairly poor game today. But he made some dodgy tackles showing he's a hard cunt so I like him.

CHAPMAN- Certainly wasn't his best game tonight but he was still fairly solid. Wore his heart on his sleeve all game as always and was the first in to defend Melling, absolutely love this kid.

KISNORBO- Vintage Paddy today! Where has this been all season? Was first to every tackle, passed well and that tackle to stop Krishna in the second half was all class. Hopefully somebody ripped into him after last week and it's fired him up.

BAHARUDIN- Looked pretty good today, looks like a good pickup so far. Was fairly decent going forward too.

MELLING- Absolute psycho as always. This kid is incredible. Love his attitude and the way he plays.

MOOY- Really stepped it up after last week and showed his class again. If he doesn't win the Johnny Warren medal it's a joke.

KOREN- Where was he today? Was either invisible or poor at all times. Definitely not looking worth the money at this point. Needs to really step it up or be dropped.

DUFF- Not looking good at all. He knew it was fucked the second it happened. Really hope it isn't serious.

WILLIAMS- Was actually pretty good today. Showed that he still has something to offer. Still missing the killer instinct of last season though.

KENNEDY- This guy. Looks like he's going to be immense for us. So good to finally have a real striker again.

RAMSAY- Wasn't as shit as usual, but certainly wasn't great.

MURDOCCA- Was a good move by JVS to bring him on, really solidified the midfield.

A decent performance overall. What we need is for the whole squad to get the same attitude as Melling and Chapman. They have the passion we have lacked for so long.

Agree with all of that except Ramsay mate.

He is just not prepared to get stuck in that is why he was hauled off again. 

Of course if we had a stronger bench then Koren should have been hauled off also.

They played better than us and we survived, in the past we would have lost that. Point away from home and clean sheet even more valueable. Kennedy showed a lot of promise and will only get better for the run. Need partaluu back asap.

That's my main takeaway as well. Glass half empty view is that they made a meal of a number of clear/simple chances; a lot of the time, it wasn't through our tremendous defending that we kept them out. Stealing a point when you're playing ordinary is one thing good teams do. Unfortunately, the other thing they do is blow teams off the park pretty regularly and, Newcastle aside, we haven't looked like doing that in recent memory.

Only saw the second half...what happened to Duff? Sounds serious, from what I can gather from here?