Melbourne Football

Guess The Salary

Tesla

Thought it might be fun to speculate as to what certain players are paid.

I've had a go, remember that the cap is $2.55m AFAIK (excluding Koren and Kennedy), I've come up 40k short (if I've added up correctly), which is about what I think we have left.

Andrew Redmayne - $75k

Rob Wielaert - $120k

Connor Chapman - $70k

Erik Paartalu - $190k

Aaron Mooy - $190k

Iain Ramsay - $80k

Massimo Murdocca - $130k

Robert Koren - $1m

Damien Duff - $500k

Jonatan Germano - $65k

James Brown - $65k

David Williams - $170k

Joshua Kennedy - $500k

Jason Hoffman - $80k

Paulo Retre - $50k

Ben Garuccio - $50k

Tando Velaphi - $60k

Stefan Mauk - $50k

Mate Dugandzic - $120k

Patrick Kisnorbo - $220k

Jacob Melling - $60k

Marc Marino - $50k

Ross Archibald - $50k

Jack Clisby - $65k

Edited by Tesla

Do youth/senior contracts add to the salary cap?

I think David Williams might be on a bit more considering he was our aus marquee last year with him being the highest paid Australian on the list, plus signing the contract extension at end of last year when he was our top scorer.

Do youth/senior contracts add to the salary cap?

I think David Williams might be on a bit more considering he was our aus marquee last year with him being the highest paid Australian on the list, plus signing the contract extension at end of last year when he was our top scorer.

Yes they would since they are stills senior players.

Yeah hard to know what Williams is on TBH.

I think Germano would be on more imo

He came from Argentina, complained a lot when he realised his salary didn't go far in Australia, could even be on the minimum.

That's how he got started, but he got a new deal and seemed really happy about it.  The guys got a Mrs who probably isn't allowed to work and kids, Melbourne is a killer when you are in that situation. I therefore think the new deal would have been more than 65K.  

Maybe Rambo a bit more and Paddy a bit (lot?) less.

(like what you've done BTW)

• Like 1

A lot of back of the envelop guesswork. Very tough to know, especially with the middle range wages, as so little is reported, but here's my guesses:

Marquees

Robert Koren - $1.5m

Joshua Kennedy - $1m

Inside the salary cap

Damien Duff - $350k

Aaron Mooy - $300k

David Williams - $250k

Erik Paartalu - $200k

Patrick Kisnorbo - $175k

Rob Wielaert - $175k

Massimo Murdocca - $130k

Mate Dugandzic - $120k

Iain Ramsay - $100k

Andrew Redmayne - $100k
Connor Chapman - $100k

Jason Hoffman - $70k

Jonatan Germano - $60k
James Brown - $60k
Tando Velaphi - $60k

Ben Garuccio - $50k
Stefan Mauk - $50k
Paulo Retre - $50k
Jack Clisby - $50k 

Youth players signed outside the cap

Jacob Melling - $50k
Marc Marino - $50k

It's not at all my opinion that the above wages are ideal, but that's what I reckon Melbourne City's players have ended up on.

So by my guesses there is about $100k left under the cap. However I think Kalmar's wages over the first half of the season would have eaten a bit into that, say about $25k, so there is maybe roughly only $75k left, I'd guess. 

IMO a lot of salary cap space will be freed up at the end of the season.

Edited by Murfy1

Robert Koren - $1.5m
Joshua Kennedy - $800k

Damien Duff - $450k
Aaron Mooy - $300k
Erik Paartalu - $220k
Patrick Kisnorbo - $200k
David Williams - $160k
Massimo Murdocca - $130k
Mate Dugandzic - $120k
Andrew Redmayne - $100k
Rob Wielaert - $100k
Iain Ramsay - $80k
Jason Hoffman - $80k
Jonatan Germano - $80k
Connor Chapman - $70k
James Brown - $70k
Tando Velaphi - $60k
Paulo Retre - $50k
Ben Garuccio - $50k
Stefan Mauk - $50k
Ross Archibald - $50k
Jack Clisby - $50k

Out of curiosity do the injury replacement player salaries count towards cap in any way? Ie theirs counts, but injured players don't?

Does this open the door for some salary cap manipulation.. keep Germano forever on a 65k deal and have a marquee level player as injury replacement?

• Like 1

He came from Argentina, complained a lot when he realised his salary didn't go far in Australia, could even be on the minimum.

That's how he got started, but he got a new deal and seemed really happy about it.  The guys got a Mrs who probably isn't allowed to work and kids, Melbourne is a killer when you are in that situation. I therefore think the new deal would have been more than 65K.  

Presumably, Germano's got an agent?

I would be amazed if any visa player in the competition, especially one with a couple of dependents, would be on less than 80k.

Didn't Chapman recently purchase a Benz? Thug lyf.

A real Benz or a Used Drug Dealer Benz?

I would be amazed if any visa player in the competition, especially one with a couple of dependents, would be on less than 80k.

I wouldn't because at least in Australia Germano is guaranteed that 80k as opposed to in South America where the Directors have a tendency to forget to pay the players if they don't think they are performing well enough. 

I wouldn't because at least in Australia Germano is guaranteed that 80k as opposed to in South America where the Directors have a tendency to forget to pay the players if they don't think they are performing well enough. 

This. Is a good rule to have, although I would expect Ramsey would have then been on tin food since his arrival to City/ Heart if it was the case.

I'm amazed he's (Germano) being paid at all. Just 65 senior appearances in 8 years as a professional footballer. Before Heart he was in Paraguay FFS, and before that in Croatia. According to Wikipedia he made just one senior appearance in Argentina.

Edited by jw1739

I could be wrong, but I believe they have to be on similar or lower wages than the person they are temporarily replacing. Of course if its a visa player, you can get a visa replacement player.

Are you sure about the above? I was under the impression that there were no restrictions, except that approval from FFA has to be obtained both to classify the injury as "long-term" and who the replacement player is. It always seemed to me that this was a loophole that needed to be looked at by FFA as it's open to abuse.

I'm amazed he's (Germano) being paid at all. Just 65 senior appearances in 8 years as a professional footballer. Before Heart he was in Paraguay FFS, and before that in Croatia. According to Wikipedia he made just one senior appearance in Argentina.

If I was a Director in South America or the Balkans I def would not be paying him that is for sure...

Edited by cadete

I could be wrong, but I believe they have to be on similar or lower wages than the person they are temporarily replacing. Of course if its a visa player, you can get a visa replacement player.

Are you sure about the above? I was under the impression that there were no restrictions, except that approval from FFA has to be obtained both to classify the injury as "long-term" and who the replacement player is. It always seemed to me that this was a loophole that needed to be looked at by FFA as it's open to abuse.

If FFA have to approve the player a team like us will never be able to abuse it, Sydney on the other hand....

This. Is a good rule to have, although I would expect Ramsey would have then been on tin food since his arrival to City/ Heart if it was the case.

That's all well and good; I'm just amazed that a guy would uproot and travel across the world (with family in tow) for 65k as a full professional. You'd probably be better off as a semi-pro with a nine to five.

That's all well and good; I'm just amazed that a guy would uproot and travel across the world (with family in tow) for 65k as a full professional. You'd probably be better off as a semi-pro with a nine to five.

I think you would find most South Americans come to Australia because of the reason I gave... clubs wont fuck them around down here.

WRT Germano, if he wanted a professional career in Argentina as a footballer and didn't make it I don't believe his financial prospects would have been too bright. Marcos Flores OTOH would have been OK since he came from a well to do family (I am surprised that he was allowed to pursue a footballing career). So he took off for foreign lands and eventually landed at Heart. Most people tend to look at a salary and see how much they can buy in their own country (hence the statement that people live on $1/day means that would be fatal in Oz but not necessarily O/S). I recall having a meeting with middle managers in China and being astounded at the average wage in Oz but when we compared how long it took to pay off a home loan the figures were slightly better in China (and yes you can ask about size and quality of the home etc but I was trying to bring their heads around that straight conversion doesn't count).

It should also be pointed out that Germano wasn't a standard Visa player that got scouted by the club and immediately snapped up. Germano went through pre-season trials before the 2011-12 season, the unglamorous stuff that we normally see young Australian kids do each season with the club, and then was signed up on a minimum wage deal:

The Argentinian midfielder lobbed into Melbourne for pre-season trials and Heart snapped him up on a two-year, minimum wage deal, or $47,000 a season.

Most A-League foreigners command in excess of $150,000 a season, with recently released Victory flop Ricardinho costing more than $300,000 a season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/recruit-jonatan-germano-worth-taking-heart-over/story-e6frf9if-1226256348915?nk=51f873fa9f25aa09f63e42ac0c8f3382

It should also be pointed out that Germano's contract with Heart was effectively his first senior contract, as he never really was in the frame of the senior team at Estudiantes (hence the loan to Croatia's top flight in 2009, and then a loan to Paraguay's top flight in 2010-11). So it isn't too surprising that Heart signed up Germano on the cheap.

Germano played a fair bit in his 1st season, the 2011-12 season, 22 games (19 starts, 1667 minutes), and then half the season in 2012-13 (13 games, 12 starts, 972 minutes). Due to his injuries and declining game-time, I don't think Germano could have got too large a raise when Aloisi re-signed him in April 2013 for 2 seasons.

Unfortunately Germano's playing time has continued to slide, with him only playing 10 games (8 starts, 696 minutes) last season, and only 2 games (71 minutes) this season with 27 minutes in the 2-1 home loss to Adelaide before he got injured, and 44 minutes in the 2-0 loss to the against Central Coast (coming on in the 2nd half to replace Archibald) before the Asian Cup break. 

I think Germano was a success in his 1st season, had a mixed 2nd season, and the past 2 seasons he has been unsuccessful, if only due to injury. It was a steal signing a young Argentine from Estudiantes for $47k a season, for 2 seasons, and in particular in the 2011-12 season Germano was a useful player who helped the team make the finals. The mistake, evident now, was re-signing Germano for 2 whole seasons, and it seems the club didn't do proper fitness checks and medicals before re-signing him.

I'm rather hoping that the club can sign some more talented young Visa players like Germano, on not too large wages, who could turn out to be pretty valuable players to the club for multiple seasons (except without being sidelined as often as Germano has been, of course). Right now all of Melbourne City's other Visa players (Koren, Duff, Wielaert) are 34 or older, and are at the tail-end of their careers, so I'd really like to see Melbourne City, with its much vaunted City scouting network, unearth talented and fairly young players on the cheap like what was the case with Germano originally (or like Isaias Sanchez, now 27, at Adelaide, or Berisha, who originally joined Brisbane Roar as a 26 year old on a 1 year deal under the cap). 

• Like 1

Young man, little costs, wouldn't take long to save up, confident of his future earning potential so doesn't see the need to invest it, etc.

Doesn't mean he is on a lot.

Also someone pls post a pic of this Merc, could be an A-class hatch thats like 30k new.

Mate, are you aware of the economic situation in Argentina? If someone offered him $50k in Australia to shoot fireworks up marteaux's ass he'd be on the first flight over, let alone to play football. Especially when he had no idea of the costs here. Then he arrived in Australia and realised $50k as a foreigner with dependants is basically poverty. Still probably better than being in Argentina as a wannabe footballer.

Young man, little costs, wouldn't take long to save up, confident of his future earning potential so doesn't see the need to invest it, etc.

Doesn't mean he is on a lot.

Also someone pls post a pic of this Merc, could be an A-class hatch thats like 30k new.

Mate, are you aware of the economic situation in Argentina? If someone offered him $50k in Australia to shoot fireworks up marteaux's ass he'd be on the first flight over, let alone to play football. Especially when he had no idea of the costs here. Then he arrived in Australia and realised $50k as a foreigner with dependants is basically poverty. Still probably better than being in Argentina as a wannabe footballer.

Hence the 'doesn't he have an agent?' remark. Would have thought it would be a given for an agent to give his client a general understanding of how much stuff costs in his new country.

Look, I'm the first to admit that my knowledge of how the lower level football leagues around the world work, but with the knowledge that I have of a few other sports at the semi-professional level in this country, the way it would generally work is someone like Germano would sign at the equivalent of a state premier league club (essentially the second tier in Australia) for something like 20k, then he'd get set up with a 60k a year 9-5 job somewhere through the club.

I've had a go, remember that the cap is $2.55m AFAIK (excluding Koren and Kennedy), I've come up 40k short (if I've added up correctly), which is about what I think we have left.

Andrew Redmayne - $75k

Rob Wielaert - $120k

Connor Chapman - $70k

Erik Paartalu - $190k

Aaron Mooy - $190k

Iain Ramsay - $80k

Massimo Murdocca - $130k

Robert Koren - $1m

Damien Duff - $500k

Jonatan Germano - $65k

James Brown - $65k

David Williams - $170k

Joshua Kennedy - $500k

Jason Hoffman - $80k

Paulo Retre - $50k

Ben Garuccio - $50k

Tando Velaphi - $60k

Stefan Mauk - $50k

Mate Dugandzic - $120k

Patrick Kisnorbo - $220k

Jacob Melling - $60k

Marc Marino - $50k

Ross Archibald - $50k

Jack Clisby - $65k

"The Full-Time Adult Average Weekly Total Earnings in May 2014 were $1,516.90."

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6302.0

That means in May 2014 the average wage was $78,879 a year.

So the majority of our squad earn below the average wage in one of the world's highest paying team sports.

What a poor joke this pathetic salary cap is.

Edited by Parrot

Andrew Redmayne - $75k

Rob Wielaert - $120k

Connor Chapman - $70k

Erik Paartalu - $190k

Aaron Mooy - $190k

Iain Ramsay - $80k

Massimo Murdocca - $130k

Robert Koren - $1m

Damien Duff - $500k

Jonatan Germano - $65k

James Brown - $65k

David Williams - $170k

Joshua Kennedy - $500k

Jason Hoffman - $80k

Paulo Retre - $50k

Ben Garuccio - $50k

Tando Velaphi - $60k

Stefan Mauk - $50k

Mate Dugandzic - $120k

Patrick Kisnorbo - $220k

Jacob Melling - $60k

Marc Marino - $50k

Ross Archibald - $50k

Jack Clisby - $65k

So the majority of our squad earn below the average wage in one of the world's highest paying team sports.

Hmmm...are you suggesting that we need to increase the salary cap to pay the incumbents more money, or increase the salary cap to get better players? Because, as far as I'm aware most A-League clubs are still running at a loss and I doubt that raising the cost of admission and memberships to pay this extra money for the same players would go down too well.

Beyond that: what's the average age of the players that are (estimated to be) earning less than 80k a year? Redmayne, Chapman, Ramsay, Germano, Brown, Retre, Garuccio, Velaphi, Mauk, Melling, Marino, Archibald, Clisby. Median age: 21. Eight of the thirteen are university-age (22 or under). 50-65k is probably pretty decent coin for a guy in his late-teens/early-20s, especially when he's getting paid to play football, rather than working a cash register, digging trenches, or stacking pallets in a factory.

I'm quite confident that if you put our players against the general population by their age bracket, most would come out looking ok.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

Andrew Redmayne - $75k

Rob Wielaert - $120k

Connor Chapman - $70k

Erik Paartalu - $190k

Aaron Mooy - $190k

Iain Ramsay - $80k

Massimo Murdocca - $130k

Robert Koren - $1m

Damien Duff - $500k

Jonatan Germano - $65k

James Brown - $65k

David Williams - $170k

Joshua Kennedy - $500k

Jason Hoffman - $80k

Paulo Retre - $50k

Ben Garuccio - $50k

Tando Velaphi - $60k

Stefan Mauk - $50k

Mate Dugandzic - $120k

Patrick Kisnorbo - $220k

Jacob Melling - $60k

Marc Marino - $50k

Ross Archibald - $50k

Jack Clisby - $65k

Hmmm...are you suggesting that we need to increase the salary cap to pay the incumbents more money, or increase the salary cap to get better players? Because, as far as I'm aware most A-League clubs are still running at a loss and I doubt that raising the cost of admission and memberships to pay this extra money for the same players would go down too well.

Beyond that: what's the average age of the players that are (estimated to be) earning less than 80k a year? Redmayne, Chapman, Ramsay, Germano, Brown, Retre, Garuccio, Velaphi, Mauk, Melling, Marino, Archibald, Clisby. Median age: 21. Eight of the thirteen are university-age (22 or under). 50-65k is probably pretty decent coin for a guy in his late-teens/early-20s, especially when he's getting paid to play football, rather than working a cash register, digging trenches, or stacking pallets in a factory.

I'm quite confident that if you put our players against the general population by their age bracket, most would come out looking ok.

How about having two caps, one for foreign players and one for local players. Increasing the cap for foreign players will allow clubs to be more inviting to players that are currently playing in Asian leagues. This way we will not just be employing journey men who are 34, 35 and so on. These type of players I believe bring the league down, you don't see Juric and Burns improving because they can dribble around Weilart.

I would not have an increased local cap as yet because in all honesty local talent is not always the greatest or worthy of being paid the big bucks. In most cases our better players usually venture out to Europe to play. 

The Aussie Marquee and International Marquee status to stay as it is.

Andrew Redmayne - $75k

Rob Wielaert - $120k

Connor Chapman - $70k

Erik Paartalu - $190k

Aaron Mooy - $190k

Iain Ramsay - $80k

Massimo Murdocca - $130k

Robert Koren - $1m

Damien Duff - $500k

Jonatan Germano - $65k

James Brown - $65k

David Williams - $170k

Joshua Kennedy - $500k

Jason Hoffman - $80k

Paulo Retre - $50k

Ben Garuccio - $50k

Tando Velaphi - $60k

Stefan Mauk - $50k

Mate Dugandzic - $120k

Patrick Kisnorbo - $220k

Jacob Melling - $60k

Marc Marino - $50k

Ross Archibald - $50k

Jack Clisby - $65k

How about having two caps, one for foreign players and one for local players. Increasing the cap for foreign players will allow clubs to be more inviting to players that are currently playing in Asian leagues. This way we will not just be employing journey men who are 34, 35 and so on. These type of players I believe bring the league down, you don't see Juric and Burns improving because they can dribble around Weilart.

I would not have an increased local cap as yet because in all honesty local talent is not always the greatest or worthy of being paid the big bucks. In most cases our better players usually venture out to Europe to play. 

The Aussie Marquee and International Marquee status to stay as it is.

Because too many teams are losing money as it is and unless said foreign players would be the difference between a profit and a loss for the season (i.e. these 'better' foreigners make back the additional money that they cost, and then some, through fan interest, to put the team into the black).

Also, if it came down to that, I think teams would be too worried about making money first and sign more Heskey and Fowler types to generate some initial interest, then they'd cross their fingers and hope that those players actually helped on the park. What are Newcastle's scouting resources like? My guess is probably not up to scratch with the richer clubs. So they'd probably be in a worse position to unearth some of these hidden gems (and convincing those players to come to Newcastle) than the stronger clubs.