Melbourne Football

Round 14: CCM vs City 4th Jan KO: 5:00pm

kingofhearts

Yep, would be massive to finish 2014 with 13 points from our last five games. Sydney and Brisbane playing out a scoreless draw means that we gained points on the teams immediately below and above us on the table (wouldn't be against all the remaining games this week being draws, to be honest). Unlikely, considering what the Jets just dished up against us, but at least some chance to draw level on points with Sydney, or even go ahead of them with a game in hand.

Playing away, but offset, in my opinion, by Mariners having to back up from a Thursday game. Melling out with suspension and presumably the options would be to bring in Murdocca or Miller as a straight swap, or push Koren back to the midfield and start with Duff up front alongside two of Brown/Dugandzic/Williams. I'd be pushing for the former (provided Murdocca's fitness is up to scratch, or Miller puts in a solid performance with the youth team), as Koren and Duff up front looked absolutely lethal and I really think a promotion for either Williams or Dugandzic (and Brown retaining his spot, in all honesty, though we may be handcuffed there) sends the wrong message. Willing to give Murdocca or Miller another chance over rewarding tepid performances from the incumbents. Perhaps a chance for a youth player to step up.

Assuming Hoffman is still out, I'm guessing Wielaert's spot will be under question, as his direct opponent was probably Newcastle's best and by some margin. Hopeful that Germano will be an option to fight Wielaert for the starting spot and it seems like he'd have a good block of NYL fitness under his belt now to be right to go, at least for one game.

If we go in with a lineup of Velaphi, Germano, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Garuccio, Paartalu, Mooy, Murdocca, Duff, Koren, Brown (not that outrageous, I wouldn't have thought), that would be eight different starters from the side that drew with Central Coast earlier in the season (Redmayne, Wielaert, Ramsay, Hoffman, Miller, Melling, Williams, Dugandzic). And the majority of them would be changes for the better.

Sorry but I don't want Murdocca near the team. Also isn't Miller's contract up tomorrow? If so, then hopefully we won't try to renew it.

I do think you are a bit harsh on Wielhart......yes he was up against there best player, and I think he done okay.

For me Koren has to drop back to midfield and Williams comes in. Hopefully then Koren can play Williams in a few times and fingers crossed he puts one away. Koren can be as effective from midfield as he was up front.

Wouldn't be against Wielaert starting again. Just think that if Germano is ready to go, there should at least be a competition for that spot, as he's probably played more right back for the club than Wielaert has. For what it's worth (probably not much) I had no idea who Hoole was until tonight and the Jets do have quite a few other 'name' players.

You could well be correct about Miller...not sure. Everywhere I've read it's said his contract was until the end of the year, which would mean tomorrow, but I just inferred that to mean until the break. I'm just worried that with the usual suspects up front, we're going to get cranky Duffman again, because his perfect set-ups will end up in the stands, but again, I guess I'm not against the idea. Whatever people think of Murdocca, I don't think he's actually ever been dropped from the starting lineup, due to his performance. If they do push Koren into a midfield role, hopefully Williams, Dugandzic and Brown have the sense to realise that another ordinary performance is likely to relegate them to occasional cameos for the rest of the season. And if that gives them a few additional butterflies before the game...tough.

I would actually play Germano over Wielhart as well.

However, I found it strange that after playing 90 minutes in the NYL the week before he wasn't even on the bench.

It has me thinking that they may try and move him on in January and open up a visa slot.

If not, then I hope he plays against CCM.

The reason why I say play Koren in midfield, is that despite all his faults Williams does contribute more than Murdocca to the team. I can see Murdocca also being moved on in January.

He is the type of player that other A League teams would probably take and will be on a small salary.

Well with Melling suspended I suspect Koren will drop in to midfield and Williams will play up front.

The other changes I would make would be to bring in Germano on to the bench and replace Ramsay with Dekker. Come on JVS if the lad is scoring in the NYL he must be a better bet than Ramsay.

Dekker has been quality in NYL, and although he is quick, he has a very small frame, not unlike dugandzic. And although he has been playing seniors at Northcote, I feel like it may still be a little too soon for him.

I bow to your superior knowledge of the player.

However, don't you think it may be better to have him on the bench rather than Ramsay?

After all he does seem to be able to score goals.

At this stage of the season I think the importance of this game for us rests in creating a greater distance between those teams below us. We are now ahead of Brisbane by 4 points and Mariners by 8 points and the upcoming games see Brisbane play Wellington away and us play Mariners so we could quite possibly be 7 points ahead of Brisbane and 11 ahead of Mariners. Not only that but it will keep us within touching distance of the teams above us particularly with Sydney having a more than likely win as they face Newcastle at home.

• Like 1

At this stage of the season I think the importance of this game for us rests in creating a greater distance between those teams below us. We are now ahead of Brisbane by 4 points and Mariners by 8 points and the upcoming games see Brisbane play Wellington away and us play Mariners so we could quite possibly be 7 points ahead of Brisbane and 11 ahead of Mariners. Not only that but it will keep us within touching distance of the teams above us particularly with Sydney having a more than likely win as they face Newcastle at home.

Yeah huge game in that context.

CCM have looked shithouse against the Wanderers. Barely a decent attempt on goal, could have conceded one or two but for poor finishing / a Wanderers team who wasn't much better, didn't cope with defensive set pieces well at all. If they play like that against us it shouldn't be close at all

They were lucky to get a point last time plus we have Koren back from injury AND one Aaron Mooy available (was on national duty last time)

just hope we make another good start.

Edited by mattyh001

A win in this game will surely show we're at least a level above the bottom four, as WSW, Brisbane, CCM and Newcastle are pure shyte this season (barring injury for us).

Would rather gouge my eyes out and shoot rockets into Marteux's ass than watch any of those teams (with tonight's game being yet another classic example of the dwindling quality in the league this season).

A draw or loss, and... yeah.

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

A win in this game will surely show we're at least a level above the bottom four, as WSW, Brisbane, CCM and Newcastle are pure shyte this season (barring injury for us).

Would rather gouge my eyes out and shoot rockets into Marteux's ass than watch any of those teams (with tonight's game being yet another classic example of the dwindling quality in the league this season).

Is it the cattle or is it the coaching? Stubbins and Moss are relatively new at this level and maybe its them (without forgetting the off-field woes of both those clubs). Arnold started well but injury has shown that their depth isn't great plus some of the players that are expected to step (eg Ibini) are not. WSW heavy duty has left them flat plus the loss of players to international duties. And at City we have all experienced all of these woes.

Is it the cattle or is it the coaching? Stubbins and Moss are relatively new at this level and maybe its them (without forgetting the off-field woes of both those clubs). Arnold started well but injury has shown that their depth isn't great plus some of the players that are expected to step (eg Ibini) are not. WSW heavy duty has left them flat plus the loss of players to international duties. And at City we have all experienced all of these woes.

We're playing with a couple players up front that can't even lead the scoring for the club and three youth players debuting their first season yet we managed to win. Arnold's depth is ridiculous especially up front, no excuses for them not scoring. We're finding out if Arnold can actually manage a team where he doesn't have the level of players he wants.

• Like 1

We're playing with a couple players up front that can't even lead the scoring for the club and three youth players debuting their first season yet we managed to win. Arnold's depth is ridiculous especially up front, no excuses for them not scoring. We're finding out if Arnold can actually manage a team where he doesn't have the level of players he wants.

Arnold made the Mariners.  His squad was not great.  He simple coached their defense to remain co-ordinated, no fancy shit, play simple passes, had a good number 10, and a team that believed in him and his methods.

The issue at Sydney s that he does not have the respect he actually now deserves.  It Sydney FC afterall.

Well I would think anything but a win here would be very disappointing, especially has we have Koren and Mooy available unlike last time.

Our defence is better, regardless of the two goals we conceded last game.

The two goals we conceded against CCM last time was due to two good strikes and our team falling too deep trying to hold on to a two goal lead. I think our attitude will be different this game.

I see it as equal parts of: 

• What you've mentioned above (the tangible stuff of banking the points, putting distance between ourselves and 7-10 on the table, while at the same time, hopefully closing in on 3-5 - with Glory playing Victory and United between now and Monday, if we get a win on Sunday, chances are we'll have closed the gap on at least two of those teams).
  • The more difficult to define stuff, like self-belief in the squad. If we get a win in Gosford, no matter how ugly, we go into the break as one of the form teams of the competition, if not the most in form team (depending on how Perth goes in its games). In and of itself, an away draw wouldn't seem like such a bad result in that regard, but it would certainly be a step back from our past three weeks (with a win and a draw against the top two sides and a demolition of an also-ran).

What's the story with Matt Simon, incidentally? Went down with some sort of leg injury late in the game and looked in all sorts of strife, but I don't think he even got subbed off. In some doubt with such a short turn-around?

Central Coast Mariners Squad: 1.Matt NASH (gk), 2.Storm ROUX, 3.Josh ROSE, 4.Jacob POSCOLIERO, 5.Zac ANDERSON, 7.John HUTCHINSON ©, 8.Nick MONTGOMERY, 9.Mitchell DUKE, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Nick FITZGERALD, 12.Liam REDDY (gk), 15.Matt SIM, 16.Liam ROSE, 17.Richard VERNES, 18.Glen TRIFIRO, 19.Matt SIMON, 23.Isaka CERNAK, 25.Eddy BOSNAR

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 8.Nick MONTGOMERY (returns from injury), 16.Liam ROSE (promoted)  

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 6.Brent GRIFFITHS (injury – indefinite), 21.Michael Neill (injury – indefinite)

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 27, Ross ARCHBALD

***one to be omitted***

Ins: 13.Jonatan GERMANO (returns from injury), 18.Paulo RETRE (promoted)

Outs: 25.Jacob MELLING (suspended, accumulation - 1 week)

Unavailable: 8.Massimo MURDOCCA (ankle – 1 week), 17.Jason HOFFMAN (back strain – 1-2 weeks)

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/hyundai-a-league-round-14---ins-and-outs/137znwdxru09a1g8sq4ek2ue5t#MMLGOwcwqpFk2rMe.99

@SF33 not sure about Matt Simon, I've looked around and haven't been able to find any info

Both he and Duke looked to have pulled up sore last night - Simon a little worse since he had to get dragged because of an injury. Both were calf / hammy issues iirc.

I'd say they'll both get til the last minute tho, last game for a month and all

Edited by mattyh001

Glad to see Germano return, should be able to play Melling's role for 60 odd minutes.

Don't think full back is his go.

Going to be interesting to see which way they go, as Germano at RB gives the team the option of managing Kisnorbo or Wielaert's workload a bit (got to at least be a consideration, given this will be the third game in nine days). Of course, as you suggested, it could be Germano as a straight swap for Melling, or Koren covering Melling, with one of Dugandzic or Williams to cover the spare spot up forward and Germano on the bench (or dropping out of the squad).

There are some slightly selfish reasons for wanting Germano to start on Sunday, pretty much because that will give us a much greater indication of what (if anything) we can expect from him after the break. If he starts and gets through the game unscathed (whether he is subbed or not), he immediately factors into our calculations; if he plays and sustains another injury, I think most of us would just about be ready to put a line through him; if he doesn't play, he's still a huge question mark for the remaining games. It would just be great to find out one way or another.

Central Coast Mariners Squad: 1.Matt NASH (gk), 2.Storm ROUX, 3.Josh ROSE, 4.Jacob POSCOLIERO, 5.Zac ANDERSON, 7.John HUTCHINSON ©, 8.Nick MONTGOMERY, 9.Mitchell DUKE, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Nick FITZGERALD, 12.Liam REDDY (gk), 15.Matt SIM, 16.Liam ROSE, 17.Richard VERNES, 18.Glen TRIFIRO, 19.Matt SIMON, 23.Isaka CERNAK, 25.Eddy BOSNAR

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 8.Nick MONTGOMERY (returns from injury), 16.Liam ROSE (promoted)  

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 6.Brent GRIFFITHS (injury – indefinite), 21.Michael Neill (injury – indefinite)

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 27, Ross ARCHBALD

***one to be omitted***

Ins: 13.Jonatan GERMANO (returns from injury), 18.Paulo RETRE (promoted)

Outs: 25.Jacob MELLING (suspended, accumulation - 1 week)

Unavailable: 8.Massimo MURDOCCA (ankle – 1 week), 17.Jason HOFFMAN (back strain – 1-2 weeks)

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/hyundai-a-league-round-14---ins-and-outs/137znwdxru09a1g8sq4ek2ue5t#MMLGOwcwqpFk2rMe.99

Players not mentioned:

Mauk, Marino, Miller.

Glad to see Germano return, should be able to play Melling's role for 60 odd minutes.

Don't think full back is his go.

Going to be interesting to see which way they go, as Germano at RB gives the team the option of managing Kisnorbo or Wielaert's workload a bit (got to at least be a consideration, given this will be the third game in nine days). Of course, as you suggested, it could be Germano as a straight swap for Melling, or Koren covering Melling, with one of Dugandzic or Williams to cover the spare spot up forward and Germano on the bench (or dropping out of the squad).

There are some slightly selfish reasons for wanting Germano to start on Sunday, pretty much because that will give us a much greater indication of what (if anything) we can expect from him after the break. If he starts and gets through the game unscathed (whether he is subbed or not), he immediately factors into our calculations; if he plays and sustains another injury, I think most of us would just about be ready to put a line through him; if he doesn't play, he's still a huge question mark for the remaining games. It would just be great to find out one way or another.

For me, it has to be a role off the bench. Maybe to give Koren a break in the 70th minute (obviously depending on the what we need at the time).Im surprised they are even considering him in the squad considering his injury issues, but anything more than a role off the bench and we'll be asking for trouble.

Fuck i want this bloke to work out. Not only is he a really nice bloke, but he's clearly got the talent otherwise this club wouldnt still beusing an international spot on him. If we can get Germano fit than RB will just become a non issue (even though the Hoff has been solid)

Personally I really hope Koren stays up front...

This. Only question mark is whether having Melling out will impact it. Depends on Germano's fitness really. Don't want Retre near the starting XI. For overall team strength may have to drop Williams in and drop Koren back.

Now Paartalu is regaining form and fitness and Koren is back our midfield is probably one of the strongest in the league and should decimate CCM's.

Just got to hope if Koren isn't up front one of the front three can hit the target. Actually frothing at the thought of a fit Kennedy in front of a midfield consisting of any three of Paartalu, Koren, Melling, Mooy, Germano.

Personally I really hope Koren stays up front...

This. Only question mark is whether having Melling out will impact it. Depends on Germano's fitness really. Don't want Retre near the starting XI. For overall team strength may have to drop Williams in and drop Koren back.

Now Paartalu is regaining form and fitness and Koren is back our midfield is probably one of the strongest in the league and should decimate CCM's.

Just got to hope if Koren isn't up front one of the front three can hit the target. Actually frothing at the thought of a fit Kennedy in front of a midfield consisting of any three of Paartalu, Koren, Melling, Mooy, Germano.

I agree with all of the above but if I was JVS I would still persist with starting Koren up front to pinch hit and get that crucial away goal as I imagine that CCM will be setup in a pretty defensive manner... Then at half time maybe push Koren back into midfield and bring on Williams for Germano.

At least in Koren we now have someone who can strike from distance to test keepers with buses parked in front of them.

Rather than Mass running to the edge of the box unopposed then cutting the ball sideways. I've never wanted to belt a player harder than Mass after that 1-1 draw at home v newy this year.

If Germano is fit id slot him into Melling's position as they are probably the most like for like players in that midfield 5 and go with Koren up top. Probably good to keep Korens workload down by having him up front rather than midfield with him coming back from injury.

Any minutes we get out of Germano is a bonus IMO. He's gunna get injured again soon enough. Rather nurse Koren back than Germano as he won't be here next year anyways, Koren will be the difference between us giving the finals a shake or us just finishing in 6th and losing first week.

Any minutes we get out of Germano is a bonus IMO. He's gunna get injured again soon enough. Rather nurse Koren back than Germano as he won't be here next year anyways, Koren will be the difference between us giving the finals a shake or us just finishing in 6th and losing first week.

It's fine for the cynical among us to think this way and, hell, it might end up proving to be correct. But obviously the club doesn't agree. Otherwise:

1. Why is he still here?

2. Why is he in the squad for Sunday (presumably at least Miller would have been a more sensible option to bolster the midfield, if there was never any intention of playing Germano)?

Edited by SF33

I thought miller was only here until end of December? I'd say the club is taking the same approach to me honestly. They bought him back and he got injured straight away and seem to be bringing him back in straight away again.

He's a better footballer than Miller so if Miller is still here would explain why he's in the squad over him.

This season is his last chance to get enough minutes to warrant his place in the team. And with 20 minutes so far unless he plays every game until the end of the season from here on he has to be shown the door. I rate the bloke but if he can't get fit enough to play regularly he'll be gone regardless of gaining aus citizenship or not.

I thought miller was only here until end of December? I'd say the club is taking the same approach to me honestly. They bought him back and he got injured straight away and seem to be bringing him back in straight away again.

He's a better footballer than Miller so if Miller is still here would explain why he's in the squad over him.

This season is his last chance to get enough minutes to warrant his place in the team. And with 20 minutes so far unless he plays every game until the end of the season from here on he has to be shown the door. I rate the bloke but if he can't get fit enough to play regularly he'll be gone regardless of gaining aus citizenship or not.

I think we all agree on that, but my point is a lot of people are writing him off here with things like 'when he gets injured again', 'he'll only last 20 minutes before he gets injured again' etc. and the club clearly doesn't think another Germano injury is a foregone conclusion. If it was, he shouldn't still be here in the first place and he certainly shouldn't be taking up a valuable spot in the A-League squad for such an important game.

I rate this Germano thing a big mistake by van 't Schip. Every game is vital to us. He should be fielding the strongest squad he has, not risking possibly the season on a player whose history says is not fit enough often enough to be an A-League player.

I think we all agree on that, but my point is a lot of people are writing him off here with things like 'when he gets injured again', 'he'll only last 20 minutes before he gets injured again' etc. and the club clearly doesn't think another Germano injury is a foregone conclusion. If it was, he shouldn't still be here in the first place and he certainly shouldn't be taking up a valuable spot in the A-League squad for such an important game.

Because Retre is the next best fit midfielder....? I agree he shouldn't still be here but is contracted and situations like being able to move on Kalmar to WSW is rare in this league so need to get out of him whatever we can.

Well if Germano is fit then I would start him rather than have him on the bench.

Unfortunately, his injury record leaves doubts on whether he will get through a game, so it is a bigger risk bringing him on and then he picks up an injury, which would leave us short at the back or possibly down to ten men.

So if they are not convinced that he can get through a game then don't have him on the bench either. Leave him until after the training camp in Abu Dhabi

• Like 2

With the massive impact of his last game, I'm sure CCM will put some extra effort into containing Koren.

Hopefully that will let some of the other boys off the chain which is why I can see Willo scoring on Sunday.

I still wouldn't risk Germano though - not with it being the last game before the break.

I think that the trick will be to score as early as possible as that will force CCM to chase the game and allow more space. Koren to start up front to score the goal. Then he will drop back.

this we need to start with all guns blazing and if we score within the first 20 mins the result should be much like last week.