Melbourne Football

Round 13: Newcastle v. City, Tuesday 30th Dec, K.O. 5.00 p.m.

jw1739

Not getting excited about our season. Defending been terrible and yes that includes chapman

Yeah, spot on. He's been great since he started, but I'd put that last goal on him not smashing the ball into touch in the first place.

Just a complete lack of interest in getting the GD in the ballpark of the top four teams, by the looks.

I'm not convinced by this performance. Very happy to score 5 but it was more terrible Jets defending than spectacular skill by us. And you always felt the two goals against were coming. Still need work defensively.

It's hard not to be pleased by this though. At the very least our finishing has been clinical.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced by this performance. Very happy to score 5 but it was more terrible Jets defending than spectacular skill by us. And you always felt the two goals against were coming. Still need work defensively.

It's hard not to be pleased by this though. At the very least our finishing has been clinical.

Definitely. Very happy with today minus the soft goals conceded. But the Jets look like they are playing with hangovers today so I am not getting too carried away

Actually a little glad we conceded two shite goals. Hopefully its lesson learned.

Yep, gives JVS a good excuse to throw a few chairs around when they get back in the change rooms (who knows if he will?).

At the end of the day, it's a three goal win, where we looked very sloppy at times (putting it kindly). I'll take the points.

Positives:

Fluid performance from the starting XI

New front 3 especially Koren

Tando performed well

Good midfield press

Negatives:

lost some cohesion with the substitutions especially when Koren came off

Ramsay and Mate - a gulf of difference from the starting front line.

I'm looking forward to the second half of the season with Kennedy and hopefully a reinforced back line

• Like 2

Every time he is one on one with a defender he does a pointless step over then stops and realises he doesn't know what he is doing out there.

Bwahahahahahaha, yes, yes and yes. He sooooooo shite. The goals that Koren put in would have been butchered beyond recognition by any one of our dynamic dunderheads :)

"Ramsay sqaures it up and its behind Williams and in front of Dugandzic"

Ramsay typifies why  players are what is holding this league back.  How shit can you be, seriously.  And how did he get up the chain to get a pro-contract.

Ramsey always seems to aim textbook style to the penalty spot.

The last fifteen minutes we seemed to back off and the defence came under pressure. Up front without Koren looked to lack ideas. Otherwise a very good performance.

Mate is devoid of confidence, should've had 2 goals but seemed happier to stick his thumb up his arse rather than score. As much of a fan as I was I think his time is up, doesn't have the pace or the skill to beat an opponent on the wing and has the finishing abilities of a three toed tree sloth.

• Like 2

we are slowly bringing it together - helped by finally getting our marquee to start and looks like we have a good one. This position and the visa spots have to be extremely carefully selected, as they are the difference in a league with such a low salary cap.

We need defensive reinforcements, and hopefully January will bring these.

Enter Kennedy, finally a local Marquee and we shouldn't fear playing anyone this season.

Great way to end the year. Never easy at Newcastle, and what about our away phobia? Really very pleased with how things have turned around since Wellington. Things should only get better, but I have been scarred for life by the last 4 seasons and a few wins and many false dawns since. This time it does feel different, but............

• Like 1

And to think some were fearing pre-match that Melbourne City might draw or lose against Newcastle.

The team was always at least 3 goals up. Even though City unfortunately conceded to make the game 4-1, the team impressively rebounded to make it 5-1 several minutes later. Conceding again to make it 5-2 takes a bit of shine off the win, but it is still a very strong win with a lot more positives than negatives. 

In particular the front 3 were a massive positive. Duff confirmed his quality, with a great run in the box to win the pen (that the ever reliable Mooy converted clinically). And now that Duff is off the mark with scoring, I wouldn't put it past him to score a few more times before the season is up.

Koren was a revelation up front, by both positioning himself excellently in good positions where he could shoot from, and by being lethal in front of goal. I'm certain every shot Koren took was on target. Such a relief and a big change from Williams and the like skying efforts over the goal.

JVS deserves some credit for changing all of the front 3, and for playing a nominal midfielder in Koren as a striker. He didn't have to make all those changes (especially as both Duff and Koren have yet to start since being injured), but JVS did and the decisions came up trumps.

The midfield again delivered. Good to see Mooy, Paartalu, Melling and Koren all fit into the same team. Hopefully Melling continues to get game time.

So a solid win and a confidence booster. And the coach can clearly deliver the 'more improvements have to be made' message given that the team conceded 2 to make it 5-2, which will hopefully spur them on to continue to work hard and aim to improve. The team now has solid form, and should be able to look confidently towards the upcoming Central Coast match, and beyond.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Mate is devoid of confidence, should've had 2 goals but seemed happier to stick his thumb up his arse rather than score. As much of a fan as I was I think his time is up, doesn't have the pace or the skill to beat an opponent on the wing and has the finishing abilities of a three toed tree sloth.

He's seen his mate Kalmar frozen out and given the arse, he was JVS's pet and now found himself on the bench, I think he knows he's in deep shit.

Actually Mate on the bench says a lot about JVS ATM.  He *wants* this gig as he knows what a massive chance it could be if he does well and he won't let being mates with Mate screw that up for him.  He wants a player clean out as he knows he's going nowhere but down with some of the clowns he has on his list.

• Like 2