Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Quote:
Erik Israelsson chased by overseas clubs
published July 13, 2016 at 15:26

A club in the Russian second League and a club in Australia have shown interest in Erik Israelsson - and should be prepared to buy off Hammarby midfielder.
But Bajen doubt about selling its top scorer.
- He is very important to us, says sports director Mats Jingblad.

Erik Israelsson's Hammarby's top scorer this season and has scored eight goals and two målgivande passes in 13 games. That puts the 27-year-old midfielder tied for second place in the Allsvenskan top scorer.
It has made several foreign clubs expressed interest in him.
According to information provided to the Sport Express is a club in the Russian second League and a club in Australia willing to buy off Israelsson.
The unnamed Russian club will be closest at hand - if there is a sale.
According to sports director Mats Jingblad are a couple of inquiries about Hammarby player - but at present, no concrete negotiations be conducted with any club.
- There have been a number of inquiries for any of our players, but in the current situation, we are not in negotiations with any club. There are a couple of our players that are interesting for other clubs but more than that, I would not comment.
- It is said that no concrete negotiations with any other club right now, he says.

Surely we'd be one of the few a-league clubs that could afford to pay a transfer fee?

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Midfielders are probably the most versatile players. This fits in with JVS mentality of having players he can chop and change out of position. Total Football is still alive and well. 

Gotta love total football. I can't wait to see which central defender JVS plays as a striker next season...

I agree that midfielders are the most versatile players. I'm increasingly sure we'll play some formation with 4 or 5 midfielders, probably without "chalk on the boots" wingers, and maybe even without fullbacks pushing really high up the pitch.

But at the same time, it does look a little silly to me that we've signed Caceres, Brattan, Arzani, Brandan, and it's being suggested we'll sign a marquee midfielder, Terry Antonis and Swedish midfielder Erik Israelsson. That's potentially 7 midfielders that could be signed just in this transfer window. IMO the idea of signing so many midfielders deserved a silly response.

2 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Gotta love total football. I can't wait to see which central defender JVS plays as a striker next season...

I agree that midfielders are the most versatile players. I'm increasingly sure we'll play some formation with 4 or 5 midfielders, probably without "chalk on the boots" wingers, and maybe even without fullbacks pushing really high up the pitch.

But at the same time, it does look a little silly to me that we've signed Caceres, Brattan, Arzani, Brandan, and it's being suggested we'll sign a marquee midfielder, Terry Antonis and Swedish midfielder Erik Israelsson. That's potentially 7 midfielders that could be signed just in this transfer window. IMO the idea of signing so many midfielders deserved a silly response.

You know as well as I do Murphy that we will be linked to almost any decent playing coming into the league. Anotinis and Erik probably wont eventuate (in saying that with JVS at the helm...???) 

Club hasn't confirmed Brandan or Kilkenny, although Twitter posts suggest they have signed/will sign. Wish we got some confirmation or denial from the club. Both these players have a solid record and no injury history to speak of.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Club hasn't confirmed Brandan or Kilkenny, although Twitter posts suggest they have signed/will sign. Wish we got some confirmation or denial from the club. Both these players have a solid record and no injury history to speak of.

As far as I can find there is only one  Tweet linking us to Killkenny

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davy21 said:
but a succession of injuries have stymied his progress under coach Vladimir Ivic who is looking to offload Antonis

Sounds just like one of our typical signings. He should be on the pitch by January. We needs some more treatment table warmers in the Jonaton Germano treatment centre

6 hours ago, Deeming said:

As far as I can find there is only one  Tweet linking us to Killkenny

That's true, but it was a pretty definitive Tweet. In fact many of these rumours have only one real source; it's just repetition that makes the rumour seem more substantive.

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

i think its widely accepted on this forum that unless its confirmed by Antiscum then its just a rumour

I reckon his next one will be an end of world prophecy. Which will entail nothing happening and then we learn of the FFA blocking the move and thus saving humanity

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I reckon his next one will be an end of world prophecy. Which will entail nothing happening and then we learn of the FFA blocking the move and thus saving humanity

Its been FFA's aim all along. God bless Frank Lowy

• Like 2

On 13/07/2016 at 11:41 AM, Jovan said:

Really hoping one of our Visa spots goes on a quality CB and even better if its the Marquee. If we can somehow solidify our back then with Bruno and friends we could have a decent crack.

If we fail to land a proper experienced cb then we will struggle from round 1.

i think we are looking decent in most positions now.  would have liked a mooy replacement. but i think you are right - filling a marquee spot with a solid CB could be a very good move.

13 hours ago, Jozzy said:

Serious question has this Kilkenny rumour been reported by anyone reputable or is this just fan speculation based off a tweet?

Everything is rumour until confirmed by an announcement from the club.
But I'm relying on that comment a couple of weeks ago (from JvS?) that our "international representatives and visa players" (or words to that effect) would be arriving in two weeks or so. In that context "international representatives" can only mean Australians. We've been linked only with Kilkenny and Brandan so far (other than Cahill of course), and they both fit the description, so IMO at this stage they do seem likely.
Thinking back to last pre-season we were linked to Fornaroli and Sorensen long before it was officially confirmed. It just seems to be the CFG way of doing things.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But I'm relying on that comment a couple of weeks ago (from JvS?) that our "international representatives and visa players" (or words to that effect) would be arriving in two weeks or so. In that context "international representatives" can only mean Australians. We've been linked only with Kilkenny and Brandan so far (other than Cahill of course), and they both fit the description, so IMO at this stage they do seem likely.
Thinking back to last pre-season we were linked to Fornaroli and Sorensen long before it was officially confirmed. It just seems to be the CFG way of doing things.

I was told about Sorensen weeks before it happened last season, but he was cycling round the US for charity before we announced it so his was a unique situation I guess.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

With Brandan we've had it reported by several media outlets in Australia and it all originated from local news outlets from his current club. The Cahill deal has been reported by just about anyone that has anything to do with Australian football. As you said last year the Sorenson and Fornaroli deals was talked about for weeks before they were done. Has any media outlet jumped on the Kilkenny rumour however?

4 minutes ago, Jozzy said:

With Brandan we've had it reported by several media outlets in Australia and it all originated from local news outlets from his current club. The Cahill deal has been reported by just about anyone that has anything to do with Australian football. As you said last year the Sorenson and Fornaroli deals was talked about for weeks before they were done. Has any media outlet jumped on the Kilkenny rumour however?

You'll find that the media reports on Brandan are based on the Same tweets we were all talking about.

2 hours ago, Jozzy said:

Not to my knowledge. And there's been nothing for a few days on Brandan either.
We have only 18 confirmed players in the squad, and only two visa players. If Brandan and Kilkenny don't eventuate, we've still got plenty of players to sign.

• Like 1

What makes me think Kilkenny to Melbourne City could really happen are the following points:

1) Kilkenny said last month that he was "open to" moving to Australia (source), and later last month local UK press also said a move to Australia could happen (source

2 ) The original source on Twitter has actually corresponded a lot with Neil Kilkenny on Twitter in the past (for example)

3) There's been zero reports in the media of Kilkenny going elsewhere. That further suggests to me that a deal has been done or almost done with Melbourne City, and as usual the club is keeping things leak-proof, hence why there's no media reporting at all on Kilkenny.

All up my gut feelings says this is a done deal, and I expect we'll hear something about it soon enough.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

What makes me think Kilkenny to Melbourne City could really happen are the following points:

1) Kilkenny said last month that he was "open to" moving to Australia (source), and later last month local UK press also said a move to Australia could happen (source

2 ) The original source on Twitter has actually corresponded a lot with Neil Kilkenny on Twitter in the past (for example)

3) There's been zero reports in the media of Kilkenny going elsewhere. That further suggests to me that a deal has been done or almost done with Melbourne City, and as usual the club is keeping things leak-proof, hence why there's no media reporting at all on Kilkenny.

All up my gut feelings says this is a done deal, and I expect we'll hear something about it soon enough.

I feel pretty much the same about Brandan. I don't think a report would be made that a player has left his pre-season training camp with his club to return to Buenos Aires to begin his transfer to Melbourne City if there was no substance to it. It's too specific to be just a rumour. AFAIK he's under contract to Temperley, so he definitely has to sign within the FFA transfer window, so the timing also fits.

But we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

With Kilkenny confirmed (another midfielder ) that leaves us with still 2 Visa spots and a Marquee assuming Bruno has been elevated to Marquee which incidentally I don't recall hearing. 

Anyway we have 3 big spots left. At this point if we can get 2 out of 3 spots right we could potentially have an even better squad than last season. If we get 3 then definitely. If CFG can get it right then we definitely will have a good shot. Just look at NYC finally they have Villa Pirlo and Lampard all playing and fit and the results are coming.

So if we can get 2 visas in the back 4 that is a CB and LB and the Marquee as either a #10 or a wide/winger type we will have a super side.

All this needs to be done by minimum middle of August to give atleast 5 to 6 weeks of acclimatization.  My only fears is by Nov /Dec when the grounds harden these newer foreign players are candidates for the Germano centre. 

Slowly getting excited for this season, but I reackon I've been here before.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

With Kilkenny confirmed (another midfielder ) that leaves us with still 2 Visa spots and a Marquee assuming Bruno has been elevated to Marquee which incidentally I don't recall hearing. 

Anyway we have 3 big spots left. At this point if we can get 2 out of 3 spots right we could potentially have an even better squad than last season. If we get 3 then definitely. If CFG can get it right then we definitely will have a good shot. Just look at NYC finally they have Villa Pirlo and Lampard all playing and fit and the results are coming.

So if we can get 2 visas in the back 4 that is a CB and LB and the Marquee as either a #10 or a wide/winger type we will have a super side.

All this needs to be done by minimum middle of August to give atleast 5 to 6 weeks of acclimatization.  My only fears is by Nov /Dec when the grounds harden these newer foreign players are candidates for the Germano centre. 

We have

OdS5c1M.png?1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Until Brandan is confirmed, we have three visa places left. Sorensen and Bruno are our only confirmed visa signings.

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Until Brandan is confirmed, we have three visa places left. Sorensen and Bruno are our only confirmed visa signings.

Correct I'm just assuming he's in similar to Sorensen last season and obviously it's most probable as he is another midfielder again. 

So I'm really hoping our Marquee is a CB. I know there was huge debate last season about using a visa on a goalkeeper but imo it was a good decision. I think a gun marquee CB could actually be in the mix.

And yes I know we still have you know who but I can't think about that right now or there's no way I'll get through this cold winter. 

30 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Thinking about it I'm absolutely flabbergasted that we still haven't signed or been strongly linked with an injured player so far this season. 

Welcome to Melbourne City, Demba Ba!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Thinking about it I'm absolutely flabbergasted that we still haven't signed or been strongly linked with an injured player so far this season. 

Our marquee who's apparently "under wraps" is probably injured which could be why we haven't announced him yet lol

• jw1739 pinned this topic