Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

5 hours ago, strider said:

we dont need another winger ffs use gooch as a winger

get us a fkn lb

Not a fan of gooch at the moment behind melling, Chapman, retre and mauk in my opinion. Chapman is the only one I just listed that is out for a long period of time. With the additions of Hughes and koren back in the squad I can't see any room for the gooch.

Maestro Ronaldinho open to A-League offers

19 Dec 2015

By David Lewis

Brazilian great Ronaldinho has expressed his willingness to listen to A-League offers in a message marquee-starved fans will hope resonates with the competition’s cashed-up clubs.

The two-time FIFA World Player of the Year and 2002 World Cup winner is a free agent after parting company with Fluminense in September, and intermediaries in Australia are scrambling to pull off what would be the biggest coup in the competition’s 11-year history.

Behind the scenes negotiations are underway to bring the 35 year-old showman for a guest stint of up to 14 games from 29 January onwards, as Ronaldinho also fields offers from Swiss club Sion and teams in Turkey.

Sydney-based Milton Da Rocha, from Demanly Management, is working with Sergio Bastos from the Flash Forward agency to lure Ronaldinho to a competition devoid of star power and crying out for a marquee magician.

“I would suggest that if a good offer is placed in front of him, he might well be inclined to take it very seriously,” said Da Rocha, who has been in discussions with Ronaldinho’s management team.

“The conversation we had with them when I was in Brazil recently centred on the fact that if the offer is right we can have a genuine discussion and negotiate.

“We are looking to create a collaboration between a club and some corporate entities to make this happen. There is great benefit financially to having him on board in terms of the crowds he would generate and also around his image because of the huge social media interest he generates.

“There is a level of interest from clubs in the big cities of Melbourne and Sydney, but nothing is concrete as yet.

“I am hoping to have something on paper soon to present to his management. The opportunity is there for him to play from round 17 of the A-League all the way to the finals.

“We are trying to come up with an offer which is closely related to his recent previous salaries.”

Ronaldinho has floated from Flamengo, to Atletico Mineiro to Queratero in Mexico since departing AC Milan - where he spent three years - and is currently in Kuwait as one of the key attractions on the Football Champions Tour, which showcases legend matches around the globe.

His capture would trump even the acquisitions by Sydney FC of fading luminary Alessandro Del Piero and that of Dwight Yoke, and would put thousands on to gates, with the Sydney or Melbourne markets his natural destinations.

“The point is he can still deliver on the pitch,” added Da Rocha. “He doesn’t need to train like normal players; he operates a lot on his natural talent.”

Ronaldinho’s aura remains undimmed, with tens of millions of followers on social media where each post generates on average over 120,000 likes through Twitter and Instagram. The A-League has just 120,000 Twitter followers and some 40,000 on Instagram.

“If he lands here it would be unbelievable … he’s been in Singapore and China recently (promoting the sale of kids’ scooter) and it’s like a Michael Jackson arrival.

“It goes crazy at airports and for the A-League it would a massive thing. It would be like bringing Roger Federer here in five years to play tennis."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/12/18/maestro-ronaldinho-open-league-offers

Is this really what we want? A gimmick, a circus? I'm by no means certain that this is what clubs or the league need. I'm inclined to the view that I'd rather we build a squad of players who are committed to the club longer term than have some sort of show pony for a few games. So we get 10,000 more through the gate, but they disappear when the show pony leaves. Very ambivalent about it all.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Is this really what we want? A gimmick, a circus? I'm by no means certain that this is what clubs or the league need. I'm inclined to the view that I'd rather we build a squad of players who are committed to the club longer term than have some sort of show pony for a few games. So we get 10,000 more through the gate, but they disappear when the show pony leaves. Very ambivalent about it all.

Couldn't agree more. The club is finally shaking off the gimmick tag after the Villa debacle last season, this won't help the club gain long-term traction. Leave the show pony stuff to the Sydney clubs.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wouldn't sign him, way too old now. The quote "doesn't need to train" also sent a chill down my spine. Can't see that being good for the culture.

Having said that of course I'd be lining up to watch the guy. 

• Like 2

"There is great benefit financially to having him on board in terms of the crowds he would generate and also around his image because of the huge social media interest he generates."

“He doesn’t need to train like normal players; he operates a lot on his natural talent.”

"with tens of millions of followers on social media where each post generates on average over 120,000 likes through Twitter and Instagram." 

"he’s been in Singapore and China recently (promoting the sale of kids’ scooter)"

These quotes make me feel like he is seriously hungry for success and wouldnt be here just as some kind of money making gimick

*Also- with tens of millions of social media followers, 120,000 likes is a pretty shitty ratio 

Edited by KSK_47

I'm more than happy for a proper guest stint - but it needs to be someone who is willing to put in and realise they are not above the team or the A-League. The comment  The point is he can still deliver on the pitch,” added Da Rocha. “He doesn’t need to train like normal players; he operates a lot on his natural talent.” means a big no for me.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Imperial Pints said:

Couldn't agree more. The club is finally shaking off the gimmick tag after the Villa debacle last season, this won't help the club gain long-term traction. Leave the show pony stuff to the Sydney clubs.

what if we win the league with the show pony.  And then next season they buy us another pony.   We could have a pony every season.

22 minutes ago, raw10 said:

rumour has it that we are chasing Adam Taggart who is currently on loan at Dundee Utd from Fulham till January.. thoughts? We need someone to replace corey imo

Would love Taggart. Williams proved last night he's not a good choice as first change and I feel Mauk isn't a genuine wide player. But if we could snag Taggart in the mix that would create another dimension to our front three.

Do it.

• Like 1

I would love Ronaldinho, I do question how much he will improve us on field he's not going to come in and single handily win us the league but in saying that I still think he would still be one of the best players in the league.

Imagine how much signing Ronaldiniho would do for the clubs profile however, this man is a former Ballon D'or winner, World Cup winner, Champions League winner, has made the FIFA team of the year on multiple occasions you name it, he's done it. He's one of the most technically gifted players football has seen for decades. If the City football group want to build the clubs profile they would sign Ronaldiniho, this is the kind of signing that will get us on the front page of multiple newspapers, the amount of media this would generate for the club would be unreal. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jozzy said:

I would love Ronaldinho, I do question how much he will improve us on field he's not going to come in and single handily win us the league but in saying that I still think he would still be one of the best players in the league.

Imagine how much signing Ronaldiniho would do for the clubs profile however, this man is a former Ballon D'or winner, World Cup winner, Champions League winner, has made the FIFA team of the year on multiple occasions you name it, he's done it. He's one of the most technically gifted players football has seen for decades. If the City football group want to build the clubs profile they would sign Ronaldiniho, this is the kind of signing that will get us on the front page of multiple newspapers, the amount of media this would generate for the club would be unreal. 

It'll be like playing with 10 men with an 11th magically appearing only when we have possession in our final 3rd.

Fuck exposure at the cost of winning games. We're building something special here, a signing like Ronaldinho has the potential to compromise everything. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Would love Taggart. Williams proved last night he's not a good choice as first change and I feel Mauk isn't a genuine wide player. But if we could snag Taggart in the mix that would create another dimension to our front three.

Do it.

If we played with two up front then Mauk wouldn't need to be a wide player.

Hhe could be the second striker in a 442 with a diamond midfield or even a 352 and then we wouldn't need to worry that much about our full back issues.

On 19/12/2015 at 0:14 PM, jw1739 said:

Perhaps they will leave but what if a 100 of those thousands decide to stay? I'm up for the gimmick as long as it doesn't affect the team or results. However after last night performance there is maybe David Williams I would drop from that squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Not so sure about Taggart. He's an out and out striker. A good player but Tuna is brilliant and a machine. Doesn't need to be subbed.Taggart would just be back up in case Tuna got injured.Bit of a waste to sign him. Would rather a Ben Halloran or Brandon Borello.

Halloran for sure. Borello is a bit like Williams. Talented but regularly misses the target 

3 hours ago, drewmelbcity said:

Perhaps they will leave but what if a 100 of those thousands decide to stay? I'm up for the gimmick as long as it doesn't affect the team or results. However after last night performance there is maybe David Williams I would drop from that squad.

I have never been a believer of super David, last night though I think we won a corner and he was walking parallel with the active area trying to pump the crowd up. Was brilliant to see from someone that I thought didn't give a stuff.

3 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

I have never been a believer of super David, last night though I think we won a corner and he was walking parallel with the active area trying to pump the crowd up. Was brilliant to see from someone that I thought didn't give a stuff.

I found the player to crowed involvement last night to be exceptional, I really enjoyed the passion shown from sorrenson.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

To me that showed Willo had a bit more nous than we sometimes give him credit for. I reckon he knew the side needed a lift & was calling on us to help them out.

Great move.

• Like 2

Yeah bela for me the obvious thing our squad needs is either a quality central defender or a quality holding midfielder. 

I am a fan of Brattan, who was the best passer in the A League, but he was only average defensively, so doesn't fit that bill.

Still I guess you can only sign who is available and the guy is quality. ( if we do sign him though it's the end for Koren)

• jw1739 pinned this topic