Melbourne Football

Football VS AFL

strider

Just a few incidence amongst many including many more recent for apparently the safer sporting option for spectator sport in Australia:

The following image is of a man who was bashed in the lift at the St Kilda-Richmond match at Etihad stadium in June 2012. It's the kind of image that points to the existence of behaviour that many footy commentators refuse to acknowledge. The fact that it happened in a lift speaks unintentionally of the invisibility of footy violence.

post-2369-0-02091000-1415878673_thumb.jp

The following image is of a Carlton supporter who was bashed by Collingwood supporters outside the MCG in April 2011. The victim had admonished a group of men who were abusing some older spectators and was "brutally attacked from behind leaving him with extensive injuries including a broken jaw, several smashed teeth and temporary blindness in his right eye."

post-2369-0-43810900-1415878714_thumb.jp

At the Port Pirie A Grade Grand Final in September 2012, umpire Paul Fitzgerald was "bashed and seriously injured in front of thousands of spectators during an A-Grade grand final." This incident reached its conclusion when the perpetrator was jailed for 7 months.

post-2369-0-61721900-1415878785_thumb.jp

Demon's player Nathan Jones' father bashed outside the MCG in 2009.

post-2369-0-92655700-1415878823_thumb.jp

-12-year-old boy who was grabbed by the throat and abused by a grown man at the MCG in 2012;

-woman punched in the face at the same venue two months earlier for having the temerity to ask a some supporters to tone down their language;

-abuse from the crowd at Subiaco that led Geelong's Brian Cook to appeal for crowd control measures to be introduced;

-2007 brawl in the members at the MCG two weeks after a more extensive one at the same place;

-the Port Power fan left in a coma after his team played Collingwood in 2004

Just a few incidence amongst many including many more recent for apparently the safer sporting option for spectator sport in Australia:

The following image is of a man who was bashed in the lift at the St Kilda-Richmond match at Etihad stadium in June 2012. It's the kind of image that points to the existence of behaviour that many footy commentators refuse to acknowledge. The fact that it happened in a lift speaks unintentionally of the invisibility of footy violence.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The following image is of a Carlton supporter who was bashed by Collingwood supporters outside the MCG in April 2011. The victim had admonished a group of men who were abusing some older spectators and was "brutally attacked from behind leaving him with extensive injuries including a broken jaw, several smashed teeth and temporary blindness in his right eye."

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

At the Port Pirie A Grade Grand Final in September 2012, umpire Paul Fitzgerald was "bashed and seriously injured in front of thousands of spectators during an A-Grade grand final." This incident reached its conclusion when the perpetrator was jailed for 7 months.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Demon's player Nathan Jones' father bashed outside the MCG in 2009.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

-12-year-old boy who was grabbed by the throat and abused by a grown man at the MCG in 2012;

-woman punched in the face at the same venue two months earlier for having the temerity to ask a some supporters to tone down their language;

-abuse from the crowd at Subiaco that led Geelong's Brian Cook to appeal for crowd control measures to be introduced;

-2007 brawl in the members at the MCG two weeks after a more extensive one at the same place;

-the Port Power fan left in a coma after his team played Collingwood in 2004

Malimate they're just larrikins, nothing serious or personal there

I really hope you at least think you look really smart when you post these things... because for almost half the people on here all you are doing is indicating how sheltered an experience you had as a supporter of MHFC. (One that many of us can only envy).

The reality is that for too many of us as supporters of small club like MHFC we coped premeditated bullying on far too occasions from opposition supporters to have such a cynical view when it comes to A-League violence

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

FWIW niko before you get annoyed at my comments ask yourself if any AFL fans have done the following?

1. Attack a Pub and throw chairs at patrons because its contains other AFL fans who support another local side watching their side playing interstate on TV.

2. Organise to head into the city (When there side is not playing) to meet up and attack fans from a rival club with flares as they leaving a train station to watch their side play a Interstate club at Home.

And these are only two of several incidents which I could mention that did not happen to fans in Europe or to even A-League fans of other clubs but to innocent Heart fans that just wanted to watch their unsuccessful pathetic club lose a game.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4

Seen more violence in 1 ALeague away trip (including a thrown flare that missed my pregnant wife by metres) than I have in 7 years of attending away games in Victoria as a Fremantle supporter.

Why dont Victory and City supporters drink with each other at pubs before & after the game like they do in AFL games?   :hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:
Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Cadete maybe I have been lucky during my trips away to games, and even at home to derbies. And I acknowledge the goings on behind the scenes to supporters of our club, and have heard of some of those very incidents occurring, and not just to ours but also to members of other local clubs mind you. My post was hardly about being smart or making the afl look like the bad guy and us the good guy. My post is regarding the perceptions of the two sports, one being protected by the media and one not.

You ask those questions of whether any AFL fans have done the following....my answer is no, to the best of my knowledge. I think those things are disgraceful. Could I ask the same questions of incidents during AFL games and whether you have heard of those occurrences happening ever at the Aleague? Of course I could.

As an example I just wonder how it would be handled by the media if you could imagine what would happen if a mother during an aleague game was turned on, punched repeatedly in the face during a game by opposition supporters while her husband is held down and spat on? I'm wondering whether you even heard of this incident?

It's a sad case, where both codes can exist mutually, but the relationship between the codes and the media is no where near the same. Now after I leave this topic I will have a conversation about the afl with my mates who are right into their footy, because those politics don't come into it as it's always about the game. But every now and then I tire of some AFL supporters constant reminders that soccer is the bad man, a dangerous place to take your kids. And this thread is about discussing those differences, amongst others. I try not to make assumptions but maybe you have been sheltered in your experience with some very strong pro-AFL supporters and their very biased views.

FWIW niko before you get annoyed at my comments ask yourself if any AFL fans have done the following?

1. Attack a Pub and throw chairs at patrons because its contains other AFL fans who support another local side watching their side playing interstate on TV.

2. Organise to head into the city (When there side is not playing) to meet up and attack fans from a rival club with flares as they leaving a train station to watch their side play a Interstate club at Home.

And these are only two of several incidents which I could mention that did not happen to fans in Europe or to even A-League fans of other clubs but to innocent Heart fans that just wanted to watch their unsuccessful pathetic club lose a game.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but what do you expect when you mob up and take photos of yourselves in casual gear  :blink:

• Like 1

My problem was always the fact that anything that happened involving Ethnic clubs in Australia is labelled as a racist attack or whatever, not just NSL but even local leagues like that team of Sudanese refugees who were in the news a few years back.

I have attended many local footy games in my life and seen come disgusting acts that obviously go unreported or are just reported as 'tempers flaring' because bogans biffing during a high-tempered footy match isn't that interesting to the regular Davo Dinkums.

• Like 1

I know this won't be a popular opinion but what do you expect when you mob up and take photos of yourselves in casual gear  :blink:

I am sorry but this stuff happened to Heart fans well before Casual Gear and well after Casual Gear... you cannot reason with PPL who base their lifestyle around Soccer Violence. (I have seen Scarfers and Shirters attacked tons of times.)

1. In fact a certain a group of Black and Gold clad MVFC fans were scoping MHFC fans not only before anyone dressed Casual but before I was even a Heart fan and PPL had invented the name "Yarraside".

2. Plus the same thing happened to Melburnians when they left their first Away Trip this year in Round One when the vast majority of them were wearing MCFC Shirts? (Just like how six of us in Yarraside Scarves in Season One had similar attention from SFC fans.)

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I am sorry but this stuff happened to Heart fans well before Casual Gear and well after Casual Gear... you cannot reason with PPL who base their lifestyle around Soccer Violence. (I have seen Scarfers and Shirters attacked tons of times.)

1. In fact a certain a group of Black and Gold clad MVFC fans were scoping MHFC fans not only before anyone dressed Casual but before I was even a Heart fan and PPL had invented the name "Yarraside".

2. Plus the same thing happened to Melburnians when they left their first Away Trip this year in Round One when the vast majority of them were wearing MCFC Shirts? (Just like how six of us in Yarraside Scarves in Season One had similar attention from SFC fans.)

Cadete is spot with the second point. In Sydney we got jumped just for wearing City gear, nothing organised or malicious on our part; just a big group of them confronted us as soon as we were away from the ground.

Edited by thisphantomfortress
  • Like 3

Look facts are facts YSIDE received this kind of shitty attention from before it was even officially formed until its ultimate end despite numerous changes in the personnel and appearance of the group. The group's size meant that it was constantly bullied by opposition groups in Melbourne and Interstate throughout all four seasons of Melbourne Heart.

Of course nobody does not receive such negative treatment and not come out unaffected and Yarraside was no exception to this rule.

We tried at first to do things our own way but it wasn't a viable solution to the problem and ultimately the group members were left with the standard simple two choices of how to deal with Bullies that you got at day dot at Primary School. If we wanted to continue to a play a major role in the running of an Active Support Group a choice had to be made on how to handle the Bullies when the inevitably came to bully us.

There were of course some who instantly took the easier path, but the vast majority took the harder path and seeing as we were only ever given one of the two choices that you get with bullies you are not going to find to many of us who are ashamed about making the choice that we made.

Edited by cadete

Although having wog parents and being taught to like soccer growing up, AFL was always my number one game. Loved it and still do to this day but the AFL has changed dramatically for the worse.

Bringing in 2 new clubs when they have teams broke and needing financial help was stupid. Furthermore, the AFL has become so obsessed with Sydney and the NRL, they want to defeat the NRL and overtake them which is what caused COLA being introduced.

They have not stopped talking about equality in the competition but they go on to give a team who had just won the premiership in 2012 and extra 10% room in their cap.

They know soccer is growing and it's growing very quickly in Australia and there is no doubt they are scared. Soccer has the potential to overtake the AFL as the number on sport in 15 years time. There is no room for the AFL to grow anymore while the A league has an unlimited amount of room to grow as a league due to the game being played around the world.

• 8 months later...

In this present day society of faux outrage and internet warriors, surely he should be made to resign or something? Plenty of public figures cop a lot of shit for much less than this.

Edited by Tesla

In this present day society of faux outrage and internet warriors, surely he should be made to resign or something? Plenty of public figures cop a lot of shit for much less than this.

Internet warriors forgive him because he says he's joking, and he doesn't care if he's given a hard time about the suburb he's from. 

Edited by n i k o

• 1 month later...

I actually find this video quite funny in general, but can't help but be amused at how such action is said be be part of the passion of the game. It's quite funny actually especially thinking how soccer would be looked at in comparison when similar things happen. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Thank Christ the bogan sport is over for the next few months. Now l can watch the news without it being first on news. Time for the REAL football! Giddy up!

Now you can watch the news headlines: "Soccer fans hurl bottles and flares towards families following their team loss" 🙂🙂

• Like 2