Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

@KSK

You're obviously one step ahead of me at the acceptance stage. I'll be there in another week or two. It's not worth fighting this anymore. For starters there's every possibility he'll be here another five years.

There's actually nothing he could do this season that would make me happy for him to be re-signed.

• Like 4

It'll just be another familiar season:

we'll show promise at times

we'll look dire and choke when it counts (every time)

we'll be out-coached regularly

We'll be crippled with injuries

we'll have good halves and bad halves

We'll have inexplicable and bizarre team selections and strange bench substitutions

We'll have a mini-run and then our regular end of season collapse

We'll be a semi-final team

We won't win anything

We won't qualify for ACL

Our crowds will be much the same

repeat

Don't worry, I've already given myself the green lines

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

The rumor is an assistant with epl experience. Not necessarily from cfg 

But clearly recruited by CFG. My take on this is that CFG want to re-organise "who does what" in the City coaching team, so they want at least one assistant more experienced with team-on-the-pitch stuff than Trani and Jolic. Just my feeling on the matter.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But clearly recruited by CFG. My take on this is that CFG want to re-organise "who does what" in the City coaching team, so they want at least one assistant more experienced with team-on-the-pitch stuff than Trani and Jolic. Just my feeling on the matter.

Yes, definitely recruited by cfg. And i think you are right, they seem to want someone with a lot more experience than Trani and Jolic... And JVS

29 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I'm guessing they're using Assistant Managers at Melb City to help the main manager develop into a more skilled one, thus creating a "manager development" system for future City group teams

I  really hope not. The main manager is supposed to be the one that teaches the assistants. Not the other way around

• Like 1

Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip indicates he will leave club after next season

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-indicates-he-will-leave-club-after-next-season/news-story/26f43527115dda297d9a9d7da9a702cf

MELBOURNE City is planning for life after John van’t Schip, although the Dutchman will see out the final year of his contract.

The Herald Sun understands that van’t Schip has told the City board that he will not seek an extension to his contract and will return home in 2017 to be closer to his family.

It’s believed that City Football Group contemplated van’t Schip’s future but opted to allow him to see out the final year of his deal, despite reservations about resting key players in the FFA Cup semi-final loss to Perth Glory and the underwhelming finish to a record-breaking season.

Brian Marwood, City Football Services Managing Director, has led the post-season cull with assistant Luciano Trani dumped while Ivan Jolic quit for family reasons.

The new chief assistant will be an overseas appointment and it’s believed that he will be groomed to take over from van’t Schip at the end of the season.

The faith in van’t Schip contrasts with CFG’s decisive action with Mark Hughes at Manchester City and New York City last year, where Jason Kriess was axed after a season and replaced by Man City youth coach Patrick Vieira.

Melbourne City heavy hitters, led by chief executive Scott Munn and football chiefs John Didulica and Michael Petrillo along with all head of departments are in Manchester for a fortnight of meetings with their CFG overlords plotting recruitment and off-field strategies for next season.

The post-season wheeling-dealing is moving into overdrive, while negotiations about Bruno Fornaroli’s upgraded marquee contract continue.

City is believed to have requested fringe Socceroos full-back Tarek Elrich as a trade for Ben Garuccio, who Adelaide is trying to lure.

This is believed to be the hold up with offering Michael Zullo a new contract and the left-sided player has now attracted interest from Sydney FC and Perth Glory.

In other squad news:

Anthony Caceres will stay in Melbourne, despite FFA’s moves to introduce ‘The Caceres Rule’, blocking any such loan deals in future;

Aaron Mooy’s transfer to Europe will be sealed within a month.

City refused to comment on van’t Schip and all transfer matters.

Players are due back for pre-season on June 27.

Edited by bellydrum

Well worst case scenario was he is signed on after next season. At least that's not happening. Another season with JVS though? Dear God. 

By the way, @AntiScum. Show yourself. Did FFA stand in the clubs way on this one like some of your other gue.. I mean predictions? 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

Personally I think it is an idiotic idea to let him see out his final year. He is quite simply a dead man walking, with decisions on player recruitment probably done without his involvement.

It will be interesting to see what input he has on the team selections going forward.

• Like 5

Just now, silva10 said:

Personally I think it is an idiotic idea to let him see out his final year. He is quite simply a dead man walking, with decisions on player recruitment probably done without his involvement.

It will be interesting to see what input he has on the team selections going forward.

You've seen first hand what happens to a team environment where the players know the coach won't be there next season. Can we come to expect the same with Melbourne? 

1 minute ago, silva10 said:

Sounds as though next season is going to be a write off personally

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

You've seen first hand what happens to a team environment where the players know the coach won't be there next season. Can we come to expect the same with Melbourne? 

Well it is never an ideal scenario. The players have to motivate themselves, because if he tries to come down hard on them all they need to do is shrug their shoulders and bide their time knowing he will be gone.

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Well worst case scenario was he is signed on after next season. At least that's not happening. Another season with JVS though? Dear God. 

By the way, @AntiScum. Show yourself. Did FFA stand in the clubs way on this one like some of your other gue.. I mean predictions? 

Another green line for me though thanks 

2 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Well it is never an ideal scenario. The players have to motivate themselves, because if he tries to come down hard on them all they need to do is shrug their shoulders and bide their time knowing he will be gone.

But slightly different in this case, because the guy taking over will be already known and already at the club. IMO the new assistant will be running most of the show anyway, even though JvS will nominally be in charge.

25 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip indicates he will leave club after next season

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-indicates-he-will-leave-club-after-next-season/news-story/26f43527115dda297d9a9d7da9a702cf

MELBOURNE City is planning for life after John van’t Schip, although the Dutchman will see out the final year of his contract.

The Herald Sun understands that van’t Schip has told the City board that he will not seek an extension to his contract and will return home in 2017 to be closer to his family.

It’s believed that City Football Group contemplated van’t Schip’s future but opted to allow him to see out the final year of his deal, despite reservations about resting key players in the FFA Cup semi-final loss to Perth Glory and the underwhelming finish to a rec-bordreaking season.

Brian Marwood, City Football Services Managing Director, has led the post-season cull with assistant Luciano Trani dumped while Ivan Jolic quit for family reasons.

The new chief assistant will be an overseas appointment and it’s believed that he will be groomed to take over from van’t Schip at the end of the season.

The faith in van’t Schip contrasts with CFG’s decisive action with Mark Hughes at Manchester City and New York City last year, where Jason Kriess was axed after a season and replaced by Man City youth coach Patrick Vieira.

Melbourne City heavy hitters, led by chief executive Scott Munn and football chiefs John Didulica and Michael Petrillo along with all head of departments are in Manchester for a fortnight of meetings with their CFG overlords plotting recruitment and off-field strategies for next season.

The post-season wheeling-dealing is moving into overdrive, while negotiations about Bruno Fornaroli’s upgraded marquee contract continue.

City is believed to have requested fringe Socceroos full-back Tarek Elrich as a trade for Ben Garuccio, who Adelaide is trying to lure.

This is believed to be the hold up with offering Michael Zullo a new contract and the left-sided player has now attracted interest from Sydney FC and Perth Glory.

In other squad news:

Anthony Caceres will stay in Melbourne, despite FFA’s moves to introduce ‘The Caceres Rule’, blocking any such loan deals in future;

Aaron Mooy’s transfer to Europe will be sealed within a month.

City refused to comment on van’t Schip and all transfer matters.

Players are due back for pre-season on June 27.

Welcome news at last. So CFG, like many of us here, were staggered that JVS basically chucked the towel in with respect to the FFA Cup with his team selection, and then couldn't get the team over the line in the final few games. That's a sacking offence in anybody's language :droy:   Why the fark they don't just push him out the door now is staggering. We're gonna have to endure a lack lustre season where players know that JVS is only serving out time - dead man walking.

6 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

If this is the case i still dont see why they dont just get rid of JVS. 

My guess is that technically he met his KPIs for last season, despite the blots on his copybook, and therefore cannot be terminated under the terms of the contract without a payout. Bring in the new man to run the show, and perhaps JvS will then leave of his own accord. They've come to the same conclusion as we have - that JvS is unfortunately not the man to take a team to silverware. This is a soft way out.

Edited by jw1739

If true which I find hard to believe why would they basically sacrifice another season. 

It defies any logic. CFG are supposedly football smart and this would be the dumbest idea I can remember. 

To see out a year before it starts is nonsense. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My guess is that technically he met his KPIs for last season, despite the blots on his copybook, and therefore cannot be terminated under the terms of the contract without a payout. Bring in the new man to run the show, and perhaps JvS will then leave of his own accord. They've come to the same conclusion as we have - that JvS is unfortunately not the man to take a team to silverware. This is a soft way out.

But they still end up paying the same amount of money to him. Its either done in a lump sum and send him packing or just draw it out slowly over a year. Unless there is a clause where he is entitled to extra money if his contract is terminated. Seems crazy that CFG would put themselves in that position.

Anyway. I am happy to wait another season if if means we  are finally rid of him

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But slightly different in this case, because the guy taking over will be already known and already at the club. IMO the new assistant will be running most of the show anyway, even though JvS will nominally be in charge.

I do hope that is the case. Leave JVS to do the press conferences. Those should be fun.

Not stupid at all. He is a good youth and development coach. So he has his strengths that CFG are aware of. His senior coaching and senior player management leaves a lot to be desired, so I would say the assistant that is coming our way will look after that. Looking at it optimistically I think it will be a good mix. I think the player morale will be fine knowing that the assistant will be setting everything up for a long term role. JVS wouldnt want to rock the boat as he risks not getting a decent job for the rest of his career, CFG will see to it I am sure.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Haha. Sorry @KSK_47 but this made me laugh considering some of your other posts on the matter. 

Well, obviously I want him gone now. But as long as we know for sure he will be gone I am fine

In fact I am really looking forward to this season hearing this news.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Well, at least JVS will only be at the club for 1 more season, max. And I have a feeling that if things are not going well a third or half-way into the season, then Robert Koren-style JVS could be shown the door mid-season and the replacement could take over. 

I'm also very surprised that JVS has survived to continue coaching next season. Especially after Trani was sacked, it is hard to appreciate the thinking behind retaining JVS. My two best guesses for the reasons they are retaining JVS are:

1). The club saves some money. If the club is supposed to stick to a strict budget, then retaining JVS saves some money. If they paid out his contract (suggested to be around $750k [which is the same salary he received when he was first signed by Melbourne Heart]), then they would have had to pay a new coach for next season as well (which could easily be at least half a million, for a reputable coach from Europe), hence paying two coaches for next season. The best outcome perhaps could be that next season JVS and the club come to a mutual agreement for him to finish his contract early, and either leave with a reduced payout or no payout

2). CFG is worried about a CFG coach failing at Melbourne City, just like how Patrick Viera has really struggled at NYCFC, obtaining just 1 win over the club's first 8 games this MLS season. Quite possibly, CFG would prefer for their replacement for JVS to serve for a period as an assistant coach to learn the ropes before he takes over as head coach, to increase the odds that his coaching stint will be a success.

At the end of the day, I'm still real surprised that CFG didn't replace JVS immediately. But at least wheels are in motion, and hopefully the next head coach is given every chance to be a huge unmitigated success.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Not stupid at all. He is a good youth and development coach. So he has his strengths that CFG are aware of. His senior coaching and senior player management leaves a lot to be desired, so I would say the assistant that is coming our way will look after that. Looking at it optimistically I think it will be a good mix. I think the player moral will be fine knowing that the assistant will be setting everything up for a long term role. JVS wouldnt want to rock the boat as he risks not getting a decent job for the rest of his career, CFG will see to it I am sure.

Yeah, not stupid at all to leave a guy who's 'senior coaching and senior player management leaves a lot to be desired' as a senior head coach of a professional sporting club.

The guy's proven time and time again to be sub-par, just get rid of him and hire someone who you have faith in to do the job starting immediately, how hard is it?