Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

IMO tonight's result won't change the decision that's already been made. CFG have put so much into this club already that they will have wanted us to be in a much stronger position in the league at this stage in the season than we are. I'm sure that just looking at what we did in the mid-season transfer window - pretty major surgery rather than a tweak or two - will have been enough to convince them that JvS is unfortunately not the man to take us forward to bigger and better things. IMO he will go the way of Kreis.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I'd be interested to hear from people before the match starts what tactics JVS should use, rather than just guessing/predicting that he'll get the tactics wrong...

Its not a matter of guessing. We are in deep JVS slump zone. Its a foregone conclusion! :tooth:

On a serious note. I still think that he has a KPI of at least making the GF and looking at the teams around us I cant see it happening. 

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO tonight's result won't change the decision that's already been made. CFG have put so much into this club already that they will have wanted us to be in a much stronger position in the league at this stage in the season than we are. I'm sure that just looking at what we did in the mid-season transfer window - pretty major surgery rather than a tweak or two - will have been enough to convince them that JvS is unfortunately not the man to take us forward to bigger and better things. IMO he will go the way of Kreis.

How could you not like a post that says JvS is gone no matter what he does from here on :up:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I'd be interested to hear from people before the match starts what tactics JVS should use, rather than just guessing/predicting that he'll get the tactics wrong...

Despite the fact that we are far and away the highest scoring unit in the league, we have the second-worst defensive record - conceding 33 goals in 18 matches. And we have lost 6 matches, more than each of Brisbane, WSW, Sydney, and Adelaide, and the same number as MV; those five teams have conceded between 19 and 23 goals. That tells me that tonight's visitors will be somewhat hard to score against, and that if we concede 2 goals we don't have a great chance of winning. I would therefore set up defensively, with at least an extra man at the back to try and avoid being caught on the fast counter - which historically MV are very good at doing- and trust that our big three (Fornaroli, Novillo, and Mooy) ably supported by Caceres can score at least two to put us in with a chance.

Defeat tonight and with just 8 matches remaining it's going to be bloody hard to regain confidence and momentum and bridge the gaps that are opening up.

For what it's worth, I thought the performance last week was very disappointingly flat. The lack of intensity the team has shown at times, rather than tactical issues, I find really disappointing.

i know the club views the home loss to Newcastle and the away loss to Perth as the team's most disappointing defeats of the season. And I'm pretty sure that last week's performance will join that list of the most disappointng defeats.

If the team continues to produce flat performances like those seen in the aforementioned 3 matches, then I'm pretty sure  JVS's goose is cooked. While I personally don't think it's accurate/fair to let the players off scot-free for every match, and to always blame the coach for the players' intensity (or lack thereof)--I think Victory's players contradicting Muscat's gameplan in the 2nd half last week is a reminder that sometimes players can just go AWOL and you can't put it on the coach (and if players can ignore tactics like that, then they are certainly much more liable to sometimes produce a lower level of intensity than what the coach asked for)-- I think the team's lack of intensity at times this season (like in the 3 games mentioned above) are starting to look like a pattern and are starting to reflect badly on JVS.

If the team produces a flat, going-through-the-motions performance tonight I reckon that'll damage his career prospects a lot more than if he gets a tactical issue wrong. JVS needs to get a settled team, playing effective tactics for 90 minutes with a good level of intensity for the remaining games left this season to have a chance to keep his job after May. So I'll be keeping an eye out for the players intensity tonight (or "team spirit", as JVS called it midweek. He's identified the problem, and now it's a matter of whether or not he can sort out the team's intensity), because that is what IMO will lead to JVS being sacked or not.

59 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I haven't been watching closely enough to comment confidently  on what tactics we should start with. In addition I don't watch the tards play so don't understand their strengths and weaknesses.

Having said that I do have some concerns with the 3-5-2, as I'm not sure our fullbacks are fit enough to play it right now,  The coach might know this and is trying to play them into fitness? In addition I have concerns our midfield is not really doing its job of breaking down the attacks and screening the defence - though this has been true of every formation.

I would hope that during the week we also practiced a Plan B and a Plan C.  A lot of people might forget now but we got murdered in the first 30 minutes of the "Matt Thompson Derby" before a tactical change turned things around.  

On 10/02/2016 at 3:34 PM, NewConvert said:
2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:
3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

sorensen

Franjic Wilkinson Kisnorbo Zullo

Malik Caceras

Mooy 

Fitzgerald Fornaroli Novillo

That's what I would like to see, to tell you before the match.

Sorry I kept klicking the wrong quote.

Edited by moops

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

I think the team's lack of intensity at times this season (like in the 3 games mentioned above) are starting to look like a pattern and are starting to reflect badly on JVS.

Starting to look like a pattern?!

You know he has been our coach for longer than just this season right?

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

I'll ask the perennial question - does anyone think we can win this year with JVS? My feeling is very few of us. 

So in my mind it's time to be bold. We may never have a 10 as good as Mooy for years and a striker in red hot form taking the piss. This is a rare moment in the A league and may only be fleeting. I think we should try a shock, cash in with this squad, get a new manager now and try and sneak a trophy. I don't give a shit who it is - even some hard ass like Kosmina could organise a defence (and he's only an example so don't go nuts) - but the moment is passing and may not be back in a hurry. 

I'd rather be bold and fail rather than limp along like we are now. I just feel we're pissing all the talent we've got up against a wall. CFG should have the balls to just go for it!! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

I'll ask the perennial question - does anyone think we can win this year with JVS? My feeling is very few of us. 

So in my mind it's time to be bold. We may never have a 10 as good as Mooy for years and a striker in red hot form taking the piss. This is a rare moment in the A league and may only be fleeting. I think we should try a shock, cash in with this squad, get a new manager now and try and sneak a trophy. I don't give a shit who it is - even some hard ass like Kosmina could organise a defence (and he's only an example so don't go nuts) - but the moment is passing and may not be back in a hurry. 

I'd rather be bold and fail rather than limp along like we are now. I just feel we're pissing all the talent we've got up against a wall. CFG should have the balls to just go for it!! 

It won't happen until we are no longer involved this season.

Trust me when I say that we won't need to try and sneak a trophy in the future.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

I wonder what his half time talk consisted of. We immediately started it on the back foot with no composure. Must've said "Alright boys hold on..."

I was more like" People have been saying JVS try something different ,Alright boys ..... do you think my sneakers go with my suit??? different enough?

Well to be fair he changed it up a bit tonight, made good changes at the right time and  dropped everyone back when we were getting pummeled. The fault tonight came down to the players not holding well enough in midfield. I sit one row behind him and can here everything he says to the players, he was trying to push the mids to play deeper and leave bruno high. 

3 minutes ago, Ruckoo said:

Well to be fair he changed it up a bit tonight, made good changes at the right time and  dropped everyone back when we were getting pummeled. The fault tonight came down to the players not holding well enough in midfield. I sit one row behind him and can here everything he says to the players, he was trying to push the mids to play deeper and leave bruno high. 

That's genius! :P

On 12/02/2016 at 4:55 PM, Murfy1 said:

He's identified the problem, and now it's a matter of whether or not he can sort out the team's intensity), because that is what IMO will lead to JVS being sacked or not.

To put it politeley I think its time to stop giving him chances and simply judge him on his coaching history.

Actually that time was a few seasons ago. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alexxxandro said:

To put it politeley I think its time to stop giving him chances and simply judge him on his coaching history.

Actually that time was a few seasons ago. 

CFG will judge JVS on his results/coaching history, and I fully support judging him on his results at the end of the season.

The point my sentence quoted above was making (and it was a little clearer in the full post) was that JVS had to lift the team's intensity to consistently get results over the remaining 8 games left in this season. I was actually pretty impressed with the team's intensity; a big improvement from the Newcastle match. If the team can keep up that intensity for the remainder of the season--as well as stick with the same formation/tactics and starting XI (no more stupid chopping and changing week after week)-- then I'm pretty confident that this team can finish the season pretty well.

The bottom line though is that JVS needs things to click now and the results to come, and he almost certainly needs to win at least 1 trophy this season to keep his job IMO. And if JVS's results aren't that good at the end of the season and he loses his job, then he can't have any complaints IMO.

Edited by Murfy1

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think the decision is already made. Similar to Kreis and Pelligrini. 

Regardless of what is achieved this season. 

As soon as I heard from Torn and Murph that Scott Munn was criticising his selections at one of the FRG meetings I have thought the same thing. Its not hard to see that no club would win anything under JVS

To add some balance to this thread... Today, we were very average and lacking any real verve in the first half. Second half, we were fantastic- energised, tenacious and played with a much higher tempo. Many are happy to criticise JVS for his laid back nature, but whatever was said at half time today worked a treat.

• Like 2

He's a laid back individual, he can't change that. He does good things. With good players we're winning. Not much to complain about in my view.

Also worth considering who we could replace with. There are not that many rock stars going around that are interested in a salary capped environment, I assume.