Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

There are two approaches a coach can take.

1. Decide on a playing style and get players capable of playing that style (the Postecoglou style of having a massive off season cull).  

2.  Choose a playing style that the players you have are capable of playing (the Graham Arnold style at CCM)

Don't forget JVS in his first season tried the possession-based playing out from the back style and it failed, to be replace by the long ball to Terra and later Babalj, both weak in the air players.

The thing with playing the Man City way requires that you have players that have those core skills.

This season he has tried an intense pressing game, with our players running out of steam after 55 minutes.  In a summer league mind you.

He needs a shift in game plan so that we time our pressing moments, and then back off for a while, then go at them again.

One more thing:  Players must train to play for 50 minute first halves, and 95 minute game times overall.  We have got killed so many times at 44-48 minutes and 88-92 minutes.

1. Decide on a playing style and get players capable of playing that style (the Postecoglou style of having a massive off season cull).  

2.  Choose a playing style that the players you have are capable of playing (the Graham Arnold style at CCM)

There is a third too

3- Have virtually an entire squad of attacking players but play them at random positions and hope they kill it, ignore major flaws with very obvious weaknesses in your lineup and continue to purchase more attacking players, be Dutch and hope that your background is simply enough to make people think you are good- in the same way black Americans are assumed to automatically be better than any white Australians in the NBL (the JVS style at Heart/City)

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 4

There is a third too

3- Have virtually an entire squad of attacking players but play them at random positions and hope they kill it, ignore major flaws with very obvious weaknesses in your lineup and continue to purchase more attacking players, be Dutch and hope that your background is simply enough to make people think you are good- in the same way black Americans are assumed to automatically be better than any white Australians in the NBL (the JVS style at Heart/City)

Brilliant. 

He has a 3 year deal.

He will point to Koren not playing, Villa leaving early, players signed by previous regime who have contracts that need to be honoured

He won't be getting sacked before the 8-10 th round, and then if we have been really bad eg 1 or 2 wins from 10 games.

I think if he loses the next two games, he would be extremely long odds to still have a job, heading into the Central Coast game. The Shiekh would find three years' salary for JVS down the back of his couch.

The problem is when the expectations have dropped to rock bottom, you accept any glimmer of hope and a result that would have been considered mediocre at the start of the year (say, a point this week) is enough to buy the coach a stay of execution. It's the Marcus North corollary: there's so many ordinary teams around that if you keep the guy hanging around for long enough, eventually he's going to make a cheap ton and get another five tests' grace.

Migliorini's game against Adelaide was one of the bright spots in a dreadful 2013/14 season, but in the grand scheme of things, all that really did was buy JA another month in charge.

You, me, car park, now! No one talks about Marcus North that way. Dominated shield cricket for years and couldn't get a look in because his state teams cap wasn't sky blue!

More on point I've been an ardent supporter of JVS over the years but starting to lose faith to be honest. I knew we would concede goals but thought we would look far more dangerous going forward but just looks completely inept in an attacking sense so far.

2. Choose a playing style that the players you have are capable of playing (the Graham Arnold style at CCM)

Be Dutch and hope that your background is simply enough to make people think you are good

Don't see the problem. I've been using that same exact theory to get laid my whole life.

• Like 3

Have any of you watched an eredivisie game recently? Especially one not involving a top team? They don't seem to believe in defence. The defending is almost A-League quality apart from the top few clubs.

Even the top clubs don't defend properly tesla. Clean sheets are almost unheard of. Someone posted the league goals per game stats and the eredivisie was almost a whole goal ahead of the other leagues. Would actually love to see a lower table Dutch team against an a-league club to see what the results were like. There's a group of clubs that hover between the top of the eerste divisie and bottom of the eredivisie that are far below the standard of top and even middle rung teams (Heracles, De graafschap, go ahead, Dordrecht, Sparta Rotterdam, roda jc, nec Nijmegen ect). Mid table and above would wipe the floor with a league opposition though.

Fucking good league to watch and also where I win most of my money on betting in. Form amongst the lower clubs varies wildly so if you follow a few recent results it's generally easy to pick a winner and the bookies don't tend to pay that much attention to the league so you get some great odds on games that are fairly easy to predict.

Have any of you watched an eredivisie game recently? Especially one not involving a top team? They don't seem to believe in defence. The defending is almost A-League quality apart from the top few clubs.

Ive had some success betting on the Dutch 2nd Div over 2.5 goals (particularly the youth teams) over the years. Lost a few multi's earlier this season where there was some 1-0's & 0-0's though so not foolproof.

Even the top clubs don't defend properly tesla. Clean sheets are almost unheard of. Someone posted the league goals per game stats and the eredivisie was almost a whole goal ahead of the other leagues. Would actually love to see a lower table Dutch team against an a-league club to see what the results were like. There's a group of clubs that hover between the top of the eerste divisie and bottom of the eredivisie that are far below the standard of top and even middle rung teams (Heracles, De graafschap, go ahead, Dordrecht, Sparta Rotterdam, roda jc, nec Nijmegen ect). Mid table and above would wipe the floor with a league opposition though.

Fucking good league to watch and also where I win most of my money on betting in. Form amongst the lower clubs varies wildly so if you follow a few recent results it's generally easy to pick a winner and the bookies don't tend to pay that much attention to the league so you get some great odds on games that are fairly easy to predict.

Ive had some success betting on the Dutch 2nd Div over 2.5 goals (particularly the youth teams) over the years. Lost a few multi's earlier this season where there was some 1-0's & 0-0's though so not foolproof.

haha, you both outline the same reason i've been watching it recently, gambling. You don't even need to do the 2nd division Mate, over 2.5 in the first division is usually decent odds considering it's pretty likely, especially when someone like vitesse is playing. Actually, when Vitesse is playing, I would go at least over 3.5, if not over 4.5.

Edited by Tesla

Yeah I need some of the crack Vitesse forwards have been on lately. The eredivisie has kept me in the positives every year for the last three years in gambling. Makes up for the horrific loses I take on the premier league.

i don't gamble so this could be some crazy shit I'm mumbling, but what would happen if you only bet on the eredivisie?

• Like 6

Of course one of the possibilities now that we are part of CFG is that someone like JvS does not actually have to be sacked altogether. He can be "moved" to another part of the organisation and someone else brought in to replace him. Generally people are moved to a position outside their comfort zone and it's not too long before they decide to leave altogether.

If we start winning then he will survive. But if this run of outs continues it's going to be interesting to see how long it will be before some sort of action is taken. And I can't see that JD will be feeling too comfortable either. Questions are surely being asked about our recruiting and wages bill, and injury management.

Of course one of the possibilities now that we are part of CFG is that someone like JvS does not actually have to be sacked altogether. He can be "moved" to another part of the organisation and someone else brought in to replace him. Generally people are moved to a position outside their comfort zone and it's not too long before they decide to leave altogether.

Honestly, I think JVS would be an asset in some sort of youth development position. I think he has shown that he both has a passion for it and he is good at it. I think he can offer plenty to Melbourne City and/or the CFG, but just not as a first team manager.

And I can't see that JD will be feeling too comfortable either.

Honestly he should be sacked even before JVS. Head of the football department, and every season the football department has failed. How many workplaces would keep someone like that around?

Even with the increased resources now available, the football department hasn't improved, while the other departments have (memberships and attendances are up, for example)

• Like 3

I had a dream last night where my friend was dating Rob Wielhart and he was saying how the players thought that JVS is a shit coach but not to tell anyone. Sorry Rob.

Shit dream TBF.

Soz, usually I dream about Babalj and Tadic feeding me pierogi but not last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was interesting today on 1116 SEN the Victory CEO Ian Robson stated that at the Darby last weekend Melbourne City FC director of Football Brian Marwood along with The City Football Group hierarchy were there in attendance even though Manchester City FC were playing against West-ham United ...

It shows that the CFG are serious about the investment into Melbourne City and the A-League... I can't imagine how they were post game given the shocking result but they would of been impressed with the A-league standard of football...

Gives me confidence as a supporter and member to know that the owners are here and they have an eye on what is going on...

JVS big brother is watching!!!!

• Like 1

I thought it was interesting today on 1116 SEN the Victory CEO Ian Robson stated that at the Darby last weekend Melbourne City FC director of Football Brian Marwood along with The City Football Group hierarchy were there in attendance even though Manchester City FC were playing against West-ham United ...

It shows that the CFG are serious about the investment into Melbourne City and the A-League... I can't imagine how they were post game given the shocking result but they would of been impressed with the A-league standard of football...

Gives me confidence as a supporter and member to know that the owners are here and they have an eye on what is going on...

I hope they pull JVS one corner after the match and said "You better pull your finger out of your arse or you will be packing your bags to Netherlands, or wherever you come from!" in a sort of British way or course... over tea.

• Like 1

Lol raw10... Very good..

From what was said on SEN we should all feel good about the new ownership, it's clear to me that they are here to make Melbourne City a successful club and a force in Australia and Asia...

I do feel that they have underestimated the league and it might take time before we start to see any real change. JVS has underestimated the league since he arrived 4yrs ago..

What Marwood would have seen was the potential for the club to grow if it can get it's act together on the pitch. He would have been impressed with the active support both sides got and that the crowds are genuine football people. Plenty of upside for us just need to become more ruthless and demanding of success. Something that Arnie and Popa instil in their sides even when they're carrying a few ordinary players.

Man City got 37k at home to a Champions League game.  

I actually went down to training tuessay morning for the first time and Soriano was talking to Marwood ( I think ). They were in conversation for all the time I was there about 20 mins. It started raining but they continued in the rain just pulled up their hoods. All this while the group was doing some warm up drills.

For me that was a good indication that they are serious about things.

• Like 1

I think too many people are/were too excited from round 1 this season - this was always going to take time. This is definitely a learning season for a lot of people involved and we will probably get better as we go along. Next season will probably see a bigger jump towards becoming a bone fide top team in the comp.

The length of JVS' term worries me, but I still think ultimately if the results dont come they will replace him with somebody entrusted from the group - just to help get their head around all of the intricacies of the league.

I actually went down to training tuessay morning for the first time and Soriano was talking to Marwood ( I think ). They were in conversation for all the time I was there about 20 mins. It started raining but they continued in the rain just pulled up their hoods. All this while the group was doing some warm up drills.

I can tell you what Soriano said to Marwood,"Here's the number, anytime you want to pull the plug on JVS, just ring this number, available 24/7, and he can propose several managers that we can talk to and we can take it from there. It will also trigger Etihad to organise outbound flight for JVS. No problemo. Comprehente?"

Edited by raw10

I beleive they are here signing contracts to build the new base and push along the academy.

I remember that Marwood saying that there wouldn't be an academy until we could have squads playing in state leagues not just the nyl so hopefully he is here to push that change with the FFV

I can tell you what Soriano said to Marwood,"Here's the number, anytime you want to pull the plug on JVS, just ring this number, available 24/7, and he can propose several managers that we can talk to and we can take it from there. It will also trigger Etihad to organise outbound flight for JVS. No problemo. Comprehente?"

HAHAHAHA your spanish is excellent.

I beleive they are here signing contracts to build the new base and push along the academy.

I remember that Marwood saying that there wouldn't be an academy until we could have squads playing in state leagues not just the nyl so hopefully he is here to push that change with the FFV

Apparently there is a meeting very soon to decide whether Melbourne City teams can play in the NPLV (victorian state league) in 2015, early in November: https://cdn.anonfiles.com/1414408866863.pdf. The FFA seems to be leaning on the FFV to make it happen as well.

So Melbourne City might have a squad set to play in the state league very soon (it could even effectively be decided that it will happen, for all everybody knows), so hopefully Marwood and co. are able to about now start getting the new academy and training base sorted out (who knows, that's what they now could be doing in Australia) 

Apparently there is a meeting very soon to decide whether Melbourne City teams can play in the NPLV (victorian state league) in 2015, early in November: https://cdn.anonfiles.com/1414408866863.pdf. The FFA seems to be leaning on the FFV to make it happen as well.

So Melbourne City might have a squad set to play in the state league very soon (it could even effectively be decided that it will happen, for all everybody knows), so hopefully Marwood and co. are able to about now start getting the new academy and training base sorted out (who knows, that's what they now could be doing in Australia) 

I can just see it in three years time posters on here calling out in frustration for the promotion into the seniors of an eight year old child who has a habit of scoring in the Academy's Under 9 side.

#yoof

Edited by cadete

I can just see it in three years time posters on here calling out in frustration for the promotion into the seniors of an eight year old child who has a habit of scoring in the Academy's Under 9 side.

#yoof

Sooo frustrating that Marino issnt even in the squad tonight!