Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

Do you people not realise that I never said JA was good and I also didn't say I want him as coach I just said I'd prefer him over JVS as Atleast he has passion for the team were as there both shit...... If JA was still coach Id say Behich might still be on our team as they seemed to be good mates and having Behich would be perfect for us IMO

@citizens.

Nah you're not losing it.

Aloisi was a poor coach.

BUT Mifsud, Dugandzic AND Williams were nothing short of disgraceful for the number of games they lost from their own ineptness.  A coach can't kick the ball for them FFS.  They fucked Aloisi over almost as much as he did himself.

And it wasn't Aloisi's fault the Engelaar broke his leg.

Those arguing Alois killed the players confidence.  Well if the above arsewipes  finished off the 6-yard tap-ins, the one-on-ones, and actually hit the target instead of blasting 15 metres wide or high, then I'd say their confidence might have been better.

Amazing how confident one can feel WHEN YOU DON"T KEEP FUCKING UP

Getting back to JVS, his is the classic example of how wrong one can be when concluding "it happened after a specific event, therefore it happened because of that specific event".  Unless you can control all the variables, you can't draw that conclusion.

JVS got results because Engelaar bossed the midfield, and didn't fuck up his scoring chances, and just by pure arse, Wiiliams shots hit the target.

He should never have been judged on his care-taker performance but rather on his 2 years with us and his disastrous time in Mexico.

Gotta go, in my opinion we aren't dynamic enough under JVS. It even seens that when we are down in games we stick to this posession game instead of throwing the kitchen sink at teams. I just feel under JVS that once it starts to become backs to the wall and the going gets tough in games that he just doesn't have the managerial ability to change things up and get us out of it.

We got coach killers on the roster as Kiro said.

Under current set up you'll have to be on crack to put your hand up for the coaching job at city.

We are fucked again

I refuse to wear city merchandise again until those muppets start earning my money, passion and devotion.

Why we didn't wait for Arnold is bloody beyond me...

Yep...you really have to question CFG's judgement on this.

If I'm not mistaken, JVS was re-signed before CFG came in. They were stuck with a manager they had had no involvement in picking, but in order to be fair to him had to keep him around to give him a chance. Exact same situation as with Mark Hughes in Manchester.

if we were leeds JVS would be gone by now

If Heart were Leeds, you'd've had so many managers gone through the revolving door that half of the Melburnians group would've probably received their P45s by now.

Edited by Falastur

If I'm not mistaken, JVS was re-

if we were leeds JVS would be gone by now

If Heart were Leeds, you'd've had so many managers gone through the revolving door that half of the Melburnians group would've probably received their P45s by now.

signed before CFG came in. They were stuck with a manager they had had no involvement in picking, but in order to be fair to him had to keep him around to give him a chance. Exact same situation as with Mark Hughes in Manchester.

Did they also give Mark Hughes a 3 year deal?

If I'm not mistaken, JVS was re-signed before CFG came in. They were stuck with a manager they had had no involvement in picking, but in order to be fair to him had to keep him around to give him a chance. Exact same situation as with Mark Hughes in Manchester.

You're mistaken, CFG re-signed him.

Look, CFG have taken on massive expansion to hitherto unknown markets and people.

To an extent they relied on the competence of the incumbent people at the club.

They're probably learning that some of their trust is misplaced.

Obviously their resources-not just in money- are not limitless and NYC will take priority.

I'm happy to have them than not

• Like 1

You're mistaken, CFG re-signed him.

Falastur,

JvS was appointed as interim coach until the end of the 2013-14 season by former Chairman Peter Sidwell after John Aloisi was sacked in late December 2013. He was already back at the club as some form of part-time technical director when this occurred.

CFG appointed him as head coach for three seasons commencing the 2014-15 season some weeks after the formal takeover on 23rd January 2014.

Results for the remaining part of the season then collapsed, bringing us 2 points from our last six matches.

In terms of the squad for 2014-15 his first signings were the re-signings of Hoffman (2-year extension) and Velaphi (1-year extension), neither of which made much sense to those of us on the Forum. After that a number of us suspected that the law was laid down from Manchester that all signings had to be approved by them, although none of us knows that for certain.

JA was possibly the worst coach in the history of mankind

We know he had issues..wen u live life in da fast lane...u dnt slow down for no fuk..not even yaself..so to da ppl that dont know him closely..heres a big get fuked to ya..remember..such is life..n life is such...so much such...its rediculous...thers been worser crimes committed..did u cry bout that..so shut ya holes..n let da family deal with..opion or no opion

• Like 5

Just a thought, but how would our same players be doing with Popovic, Arnold or Gombau as coach?

Good question.

I think that Popovic did sign former Heart player Beauchamp but last season just dumped him from the side altogether and was not offered a new contract. Going by that action I suspect that he would play a very tight compact bus at the back with Williams being the main striker and when the ball is kicked out of defence he would tell Williams to run forward and try to score a goal. He will then wait for the season to finish and do another massive turn over.

Ditto for Arnold.

Gombau would be a more interesting proposition. He would go back to basics and teach players the shape of the ball, the mechanics of kicking a ball, passing, etc. We would all be more optimistic because we would see the very basic errors being addressed. At the end of the season, he would purge the playing group and bring in a host of Spanish players from the second division and we would be confident of being a top six side.

• Like 1

re: Popovic and Beauchamp.  Beauchamp was pretty good for them TBH.  He was frozen out because Popovic has favourites  eg Spiranovic who was shithouse early on and was certainly not being picked on merit.  Same with Santalab who does nothing but barge in to players all game, ye seems to be a starting number 9.

Not to mention he froze out Mooy.

Beside his football may be effective but its not what want to watch as a going concern.

re: Popovic and Beauchamp.  Beauchamp was pretty good for them TBH.  He was frozen out because Popovic has favourites  eg Spiranovic who was shithouse early on and was certainly not being picked on merit.  Same with Santalab who does nothing but barge in to players all game, ye seems to be a starting number 9.

Not to mention he froze out Mooy.

Beside his football may be effective but its not what want to watch as a going concern.

Yes you are right. the combination of Beauchamp and Topor-Stanley was very effective. Having said that, Beauchamp has played for CCM, Heart and Sydney and in each instance he was released. I think the only good years that he has had was with CCM and WSW. So I was not surprised that he was dropped - I just assumed that he lost form.

I just watched the JVS presser and he continually talks about the mental strength or lack there of from the players. I can't believe players like Kisnorbo, Mooy, Paartulu, Murdocca, Duff, and Villa can be a cused of being mentally weak. These players are all proven performers and it's more than half of our starting 11.. The Issue isn't our style either coz we dominated Sydney, Newcastle and Victory in the first 45min and we look strong as a team.

I think the issue is "Standards" what is acceptable and what is not acceptable for a player to do on the pitch... I think JVS is to lenient on the players like a teacher who doesn't give detention to a missed behaved student. JVS doesn't seem like the type of coach that can give an old fashion spray to the players...

I think his a soft manager and the players no it...

I just watched the JVS presser and he continually talks about the mental strength or lack there of from the players. I can't believe players like Kisnorbo, Mooy, Paartulu, Murdocca, Duff, and Villa can be a cused of being mentally weak. These players are all proven performers and it's more than half of our starting 11.. The Issue isn't our style either coz we dominated Sydney, Newcastle and Victory in the first 45min and we look strong as a team.

I think the issue is "Standards" what is acceptable and what is not acceptable for a player to do on the pitch... I think JVS is to lenient on the players like a teacher who doesn't give detention to a missed behaved student. JVS doesn't seem like the type of coach that can give an old fashion spray to the players...

I think his a soft manager and the players no it...

How anyone can question Paddy K's mental strength astounds me.  The bloke puts his body on the line time and time again.  Paddy should just headbutt JVS into oblivion.

• Like 2

Got to say, how anyone can compare the style this year to what was dished up last year is beyond comprehension.

JA didn't even realise there was a midfield , with hopeful long balls from the centre backs made it unbearable to watch.

Is rather see us playing football than hoping that a long ball is deflected into the path of a player, which last year more often was missed anyway.

We need a defense that works though. Something needs to change there. I actually would prefer is to play a back 3, ridding us of Ramsey and maybe being a more balanced line-up.

• Like 1

He has a 3 year deal.

He will point to Koren not playing, Villa leaving early, players signed by previous regime who have contracts that need to be honoured

He won't be getting sacked before the 8-10 th round, and then if we have been really bad eg 1 or 2 wins from 10 games.

It's already 0 wins from 10...four points from 9 league matches and an FFA Cup loss.

Got to say, how anyone can compare the style this year to what was dished up last year is beyond comprehension.

JA didn't even realise there was a midfield , with hopeful long balls from the centre backs made it unbearable to watch.

Is rather see us playing football than hoping that a long ball is deflected into the path of a player, which last year more often was missed anyway.

We need a defense that works though. Something needs to change there. I actually would prefer is to play a back 3, ridding us of Ramsey and maybe being a more balanced line-up.

Sometimes I do solid shits, sometimes I do sloppy shits... but at the end of day its still shit.

That is fucking poetry and so perfectly put too.

As for what happened now (who replaces him if he does get the can, if he stays how do we turn things around, etc etc) I seriously don't care anymore.

City. Just fix it. And fix it quickly.

He has a 3 year deal.

He will point to Koren not playing, Villa leaving early, players signed by previous regime who have contracts that need to be honoured

He won't be getting sacked before the 8-10 th round, and then if we have been really bad eg 1 or 2 wins from 10 games.

I think if he loses the next two games, he would be extremely long odds to still have a job, heading into the Central Coast game. The Shiekh would find three years' salary for JVS down the back of his couch.

The problem is when the expectations have dropped to rock bottom, you accept any glimmer of hope and a result that would have been considered mediocre at the start of the year (say, a point this week) is enough to buy the coach a stay of execution. It's the Marcus North corollary: there's so many ordinary teams around that if you keep the guy hanging around for long enough, eventually he's going to make a cheap ton and get another five tests' grace.

Migliorini's game against Adelaide was one of the bright spots in a dreadful 2013/14 season, but in the grand scheme of things, all that really did was buy JA another month in charge.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

He has a 3 year deal.

Mancini was sacked for coming 2nd in the EPL, a year after he had won the league. If the same mentality in regards to success is taken here then it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone after a couple more weeks of bad results. The problem on the weekend was not the score, but the way we were going about it in the second half. We lost structure, and there was no evidence to suggest the team was at least trying to play the brand of football that the CFG are wanting the team to play. If we could walk away from the match saying well at least we can see signs of what the team is building towards and it will only get better throughout the season, it would have people being more optimistic, however this was not the case.