Melbourne Football

SFC VS MCFC - Round 1

Ruckoo

Disappointing result considering where we had them at half time. Overall, however, happy with the result. Sydney will be right up there and we were both missing some key players. The important thing with the opening match day is to not lose. We didn't lose and we played good football for the majority of it. Bring on Newcastle where i'm sure we'll see a record crowd for the much anticipated return of Hoffman from suspension!

• Like 1

Very proud to be a member I must say. Not sure what section I should go to when I get to AAMI park next Sunday, but if last night is anything to go by the first home match should be well worth the trip.

home/yarra/south end is the best atmosphere but you'll enjoy it from wherever. i'd stay start at the Imperial and walk down with the mob

Very proud to be a member I must say. Not sure what section I should go to when I get to AAMI park next Sunday, but if last night is anything to go by the first home match should be well worth the trip.

home/yarra/south end is the best atmosphere but you'll enjoy it from wherever. i'd stay start at the Imperial and walk down with the mob

Cheers, should be good. 

Whilst there is so much undeserved negativity with regard to the result (Sydney under Arnold will be a tough nut to crack at home, yes they were missing players but so were we...) I do have to say that Redders should have saved Gameiro's goal, no doubt... His trailing hand was so weak when it made contact with the ball, it was almost in slow motion. So our worries regarding the keeping havnt been put to rest thats for sure. Our defence was great though, especially Kisnorbo

Moving forward we were awesome, probably just tired towards the end coz it is the first game of the proper season. Not sure about Villa on the left, would way prefer him to be central striker and bury any half chances that kept falling to Duga.

Great point considering we went behind, and the fact that their best chances were all snappy little shots from outside the box; they were unable to get in behind our defense like we did to them many times.

Bring on Newcastle, and cut the negativity... we arent gonna be world beaters over night

• Like 3

IMO if we look at the "absentee parade" for this match, despite the known weaknesses in the squad and the missed chances on the day, we should happy to take the point without too many recriminations.

Hoffman - suspended

Mauk - international duty

Chapman - illness - glandular fever

Garuccio - injured - ankles

Germano - injured - calf

Koren - injured - calf

Williams ?

Kalmar ?

The two that I am uncertain about are Williams and Kalmar. I would assume that they are also injured, because I would have thought that JvS would have preferred Williams to Marino, and Kalmar to both Melling and Retre. However we don't have any confirmation on either Williams or Kalmar.

Arnold is moaning about several of his key players being missing, but the same applies to us.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I am pleased by the overall performance yesterday.

Yes, we were the team of old when it came to missed opportunities, but style wise we were clearly far superior to what Sydney were dishing up.Our midfield looked strong, calm and composed, particularly Mooy who really looks like he can be a huge asset for us. Getting Koren in that line-up would take that to another level too.

Judging from what we have seen so far, Villa seems to be an introvert in his personality, with a focus on the focus not being on him but his football. He sure knows how to deliver though, as he comes on looking like hes there for a training session but then turns it on once he sees the goals beckoning. Love it.

The one anoying thing for the night.... Graham Anold. He tried to point to all his missing players and that the only reason they didn't win was because we needed a player like Villa to save us. He also stated that Melb City are a "rich club", which seems a flow on effect from his days at CCM where such a comment was applicable, but at SFC it just doesn't fly.

Overall, a great start and hopefully can continue to build from there.

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 1

The one anoying thing for the night.... Graham Anold. He tried to point to all his missing players and that the only reason they didn't win was because we needed a player like Villa to save us. 

He does raise a valid point. With the exception of Koren, the players we were missing were not exactly going to bring a great deal extra than the players that we had on the park and had it not been for Villa we would have gone home empty handed. Not a disastrous start but things need to improve

Anrie's an idiot. Obviously blackwood wouldnt have started, nor would have Gameiro (who scored the goal) if he had smeltz or that Austrian dude. He needs to realise that hes got his squad balance so wrong, hes got like 5 top notch strikers, so its not as if they were lacking in the areas in which they had players missing.

As for us, I think if we had a proper right back playing, Gamerio would not have found all that space to score their goal. players who didnt start for us: Villa, Koren, Williams, Hoff. Both benches (besides villa) showed how depleted both teams were. FAIR GAME ARNIE YA FLOG!

P.s. your teams always play boring football and i hope u keep ur job longer than u did in japan or for aus national team, ya spazzo

Edited by melbournelad55

The match was a solid start to the season. After seeing that Koren and Williams were out of the matchday squad, and that Villa was benched, it would have been fair enough to tip Melbourne City to lose. Along with the team's 1st choice fullbacks being sidelined (Garuccio and then Hoffman or Germano), it looked like the team had too many players out, to play away to Sydney FC who have arguably the best A-League coach (at least in terms of results obtained) and one of the strongest A-League squads (even though they had players missing as well).

Yet despite how things looked when the starting XIs were released, Melbourne City displayed an impressive team performance. In the first half, we had 55% possession and bossed the game away from home. And we created multiple good chances. Yes, the finishing does need to improve, but don't take it for granted that we are creating ample chances in the first place, as that's something the team didn't do regularly over the past 2 seasons. 

The team was impressively attacking. They kept the ball well, with slick and fast passing (significantly faster than last season) and good movement. And that possession, with the midfielders in particular, really lifted the team, with Murdocca's skillful midfield play being crucial in the lead up to Villa's goal. Also, the team pressed very well, and pressed with high intensity, and often forced Sydney to boot the ball long. Dugandzic was pretty useful in this defensive aspect, with him being a constant bother that pressed the Sydney defence and forced them to kick it long.  

Defensively we were pretty good. Kisnorbo and Wielaert were a quality central defensive pairing, and Archibald has a pretty respectable debut (he was also good in the air, and had 3 or so good defensive headers). Ramsay did okay defensively, at least there weren't moments when he was a clear defensive liability last night, but his passing was pretty off. And IMO Redmayne had a good, although not great, game. His distribution was good (and has noticeably improved since last season), and IMO it would have taken a very good save to keep Gameiro's shot out. So for the Sydney goal I think you have to credit Sydney and their attacker, more than blame the keeper (if he made that save, I'd have said he had a great game).

So all up a lot of positives, and a lot to build on. It was a respectable point away from home, and the team will get better as the season goes on, and as Villa, Koren, Williams, Garuccio and Germano rejoin the squad. Also, the team will be much the better for the fact that last night demonstrated that the likes of Murdocca, Brown and Archibald can do a job if required. Good signs at the outset of the season.

• Like 6

for people who watched at home (and maybe at the ground, but tbh i couldn't really see shit from up the front); what was Partaalu's game like?

Solid and confident, it was nice to have some steel in the centre for once. 

Really effective in screening the back four.

Last season we would've lost 1-0. Koren back next week and Villa to start, positive things ahead.

Archibald should retain his place next week. Solid performance on debut away from home.

Sydney is currently equal-third favourite to take out the league and on balance, I'd say we were at least as far off full-strength as they were. With the run of play, we should have done enough to get the win granted, but if we're at least banking away points against quality opposition, it will hold us in good stead.

Of course, the other part of that is that we really need to get a win now at home on Sunday. I remember being pretty buoyant that we managed to hold Victory to a draw in the opening match last season, with a severely undermanned squad...little did I know that we'd get maximum points from a game for the first time in mid-January that year. Games like last night are ok, as long as they don't become a habit.

• Like 1

David Villa's touch of class overshadows a sluggish Sky Blues performance

Sebastian Hassett

October 11, 2014

No matter your allegiances, it's a shame Melbourne City coach John van't  Schip denied us David Villa for the opening 48 minutes in Saturday night's match against Sydney FC.

The coach has every right to, for the player only arrived a week ago. It's just that when Villa had his first chance, on the edge of the box, he took it with such elegance that 25,585 on hand were left completely gobsmacked.

It wasn't even the best goal of the night – Corey Gameiro took that honour. A splendid effort from the left corner of the area. But Villa's goal will live longer in the memory for how he made something so hard look so effortless.

After dancing around Sebastian Ryall, the Spaniard delicately guided the ball into the net. Just like that. He virtually passed the ball towards Vedran Janjetovic, yet there was nothing the keeper – or anyone else – could do. Spellbinding.

And while it is wonderful the league keeps making huge strides towards real clubs with ambitious philosophies and dedicated development programs, the fact remains: there is nothing as seductive as star power. To the cynical mind, it was also a timely reminder of the gap between the A-League and the elite.

Damian Duff isn't short on class either, and the former Chelsea winger – who played all night for City – was superb. At 35, he's still got it in spades. Their actual marquee, Robert Koren, was injured and didn't play. If they click as a team during Villa's all-too-brief stay, watch out. It will be football caviar.

But what of Sydney FC? They gained a point, after all. And Graham Arnold, in his first match as coach, put his imprimatur on how things will be done. The kids will get opportunity, whether they're ready or not. This was no performance of note, however, with a first half that could best be described as abject. How City weren't two or three up was the talking point as the crowd paused for the interval.

In that time, a Berowra youngster by the name of George Blackwood was given a chance up front. He hardly got a touch and was hooked after 50 minutes. A rough night for the 17-year old, who most fans wouldn't have even heard of as they took their seats. But he was hardly the only one doing it tough. The Sky Blues looked frazzled from the moment  Duff sizzled down the right, cutting in for James Brown. The ex-Jet had time but curled his effort on to the bar. Notice had been served.

Sydney's passing moves were falling apart and confidence seemed in tatters. This wasn't how it was meant to be under Arnold. What the coach wouldn't have given for Michael

McGlinchey or Tom Rogic, or even just a calming presence like John Hutchinson or Patrick Zwaanswijk.

Part of the problem was that Sydney, in spite of all the pre-season rhetoric, were struggling to maintain meaningful possession. So frustrated was the coach that at one moment Arnold threw both of his hands in the air, outstretched, palms upturned. Had Mate Dugandzic capitalised on a dreadful error from Sasa Ognenovski, Arnold might have taken to the field and put those hands on the veteran defender. The Big Og struggled overall, but he has enough credits in the bank. He'll get better. Good players always do.

Speaking of good players, Villa still hadn't entered the fray as the teams returned the field for the second half. He was warming up feverishly, however, and it was only a matter of time. 

But he could only watch as Sydney took an undeserving lead. Gameiro, brilliant in pre-season, matched the hype with a sparkling finish. Yet the Villa factor would ensure day one of the City revolution ended in style. 

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/david-villas-touch-of-class-overshadows-a-sluggish-sky-blues-performance-20141011-114rbt.html

Not a bad write-up for Melbourne City, especially coming from a Sydney journalist

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

IMO if we look at the "absentee parade" for this match, despite the known weaknesses in the squad and the missed chances on the day, we should happy to take the point without too many recriminations.

Hoffman - suspended

Mauk - international duty

Chapman - illness - glandular fever

Garuccio - injured - ankles

Germano - injured - calf

Koren - injured - calf

Williams ?

Kalmar ?

The two that I am uncertain about are Williams and Kalmar. I would assume that they are also injured, because I would have thought that JvS would have preferred Williams to Marino, and Kalmar to both Melling and Retre. However we don't have any confirmation on either Williams or Kalmar.

Arnold is moaning about several of his key players being missing, but the same applies to us.

Obviously Hoff and Mauk speak for themselves, but is there an official timeframe on any of the others?

Anyone know where I can find a replay of the game? Fox sports don't seem to be replaying the game at all (at least not at any time from now until tuesday, despite replaying the Tards v WSW and Well v Perth twice). 

They don't have it on Fox Sports catch up? I think they post all the matches in the A-League there. They did last season at least.

Edited by JoyfulPenguin

I made the trip up, had a great weekend but paying for it now. not a bad game, probably should have been 2-0 up at the half and could have came home with 3 points. IMO Archibald looked lost a bit and i think it was his fault we copped the goal, although i think Redders probably could have done better as well... if he can get his hand to it, it shouldn't be going in. Duff man is going to lead the lead in assist's by a mile. 

MOTM Duffman, Mooy a close second.

• Like 1

One things for sure after being at Allianz stadium it makes me realize how amazingly good we have it at AAMI park.

I was not up there for this match so maybe things have changed but one thing that I have always liked about Allianz is that the Secco's have always seemed to pay little to no attention to what you do in the Away Bay. You can stand on seats, abuse like a sailor and make an absolute dick of yourself and they still CBF.

A stark change from the over policing in Adelaide and even in our own Home Active Bay at AAMI.

• Like 2

One things for sure after being at Allianz stadium it makes me realize how amazingly good we have it at AAMI park.

I was not up there for this match so maybe things have changed but one thing that I have always liked about Allianz is that the Secco's have always seemed to pay little to no attention to what you do in the Away Bay. You can stand on seats, abuse like a sailor and make an absolute dick of yourself and they still CBF.

A stark change from the over policing in Adelaide and even in our own Home Active Bay at AAMI.

Valid point. They did very little to even nothing. Kudos to the bloke who was lighting up a smoke lol..

• Like 1

Yep was laughable how lenient they were. Definitely wasn't complaining.. Although must have taken 10-15 tumbles off the seats and ended up with a smashed phone.. good night though!

Was anyone else unimpressed with Villa !

His work rate was terrible and we were a worse team with him on the park.  I'm not sure i even saw him run.

A little critical, but our first half we were awesome. 

I would hope that we do not create an atmosphere that we become Villa versus an A-League team. While he is an outstanding player, there are 10 others on the field who are the real City players who we should also support and in some respect be more supporting of.