Melbourne Football

New Active Support Group Discussion

Embee

supporters of the club are what makes the club and without going into further debate on structure and licensing of a league frenchise let me say this.

It's clear that in today's world someone has to run the club taking on all the financial rewards and risk associated with any business.

In the current situation we can't do anything about new ownership, like it or not it's here to stay

I'm disappointed that yarraside had decided to end it's support.

There were a lot of great things about them and some which perhaps could have been done differently.

However one thing that was outstanding was its independence from the club.

New active support must retain independence in all forms; financial, structural and name.

Any reference and alliance with existing groups under Manchester city banner will only erode what's left over from the old club.

It will also expose us to further criticism and denigration from football people in Australia.

Do I enjoy remarks about Arab oil money, plastic club, soulless, sellouts, mini man city, etc....

No..... But I can't do nothing about them.

What we can do is get up on the terrace and show everyone that we are melbourne and stand united yet independent from the club's hierarchy doing things that will put us on the football map and finally earn respect.

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 6

It's going to take a lot of work to grow the new terrace and, as well as winning over existing active members, we will need to be attracting new members to the active support.

To that end there are two things that I really think the name should avoid.

The first is anything that has too strong a connection to Man City (e.g. the Citizens) as the vast majority of football fans in Melbourne don't seem to support them. 

The second is anything too Green Street/Ross Kemp (e.g. Yarra City Service or Swan Street Elite). This should be a terrace for all of our active support to get behind the team, not a hooligan firm. Names like that will put people off joining us and will just be asking for negative treatment from the media. 

• Like 1

Batman bedsheets, song sheets, megaphones and trying to get on tv by holding up flags is so lame.

Neck up you fucking clown.

Fair enough, you like Batman. But the song sheets, megaphones and trying to get on tv by holding up flags are rubbish, yeah?

supporters of the club are what makes the club and without going into further debate on structure and licensing of a league frenchise let me say this.

It's clear that in today's world someone has to run the club taking on all the financial rewards and risk associated with any business.

In the current situation we can't do anything about new ownership, like it or not it's here to stay

I'm disappointed that yarraside had decided to end it's support.

There were a lot of great things about them and some which perhaps could have been done differently.

However one thing that was outstanding was its independence from the club.

New active support must retain independence in all forms; financial, structural and name.

Any reference and alliance with existing groups under Manchester city banner will only erode what's left over from the old club.

It will also expose us to further criticism and denigration from football people in Australia.

Do I enjoy remarks about Arab oil money, plastic club, soulless, sellouts, mini man city, etc....

No..... But I can't do nothing about them.

What we can do is get up on the terrace and show everyone that we are melbourne and stand united yet independent from the club's hierarchy doing things that will put us on the football map and finally earn respect.

To be fair not many people who I have spoke to in regards to the city takeover have called us a sell out, and in all honesty people who think that are narrow minded that can't see that an investment like this will make the world game blossom more in Australia.

Do I think the club/ we are sell outs? Fuck no, a mega rich company takes over our club with the thoughts to grow it, I call that good business. I welcome all those opinions about us being sell outs because the only thing I'll be hearing when the season begins is the sweet sweet sound of victory!

Batman bedsheets, song sheets, megaphones and trying to get on tv by holding up flags is so lame.

Fair enough, you like Batman. But the song sheets, megaphones and trying to get on tv by holding up flags are rubbish, yeah?

lol pls stop 

We only sing because soccers so boring

You might. I find it the most exciting out of all the professional football codes...

You might. I find it the most exciting out of all the professional football codes... Sarcasm mate.

You might. I find it the most exciting out of all the professional football codes...

*WHOOSH*

• Like 1

Its football not soccer ;)

• Like 2

Neck up you fucking clown. Fair enough, you like Batman. But the song sheets, megaphones and trying to get on tv by holding up flags are rubbish, yeah?

Its football not soccer ;)

You're comparing apples to oranges

It's going to take a lot of work to grow the new terrace and, as well as winning over existing active members, we will need to be attracting new members to the active support.

To that end there are two things that I really think the name should avoid.

The first is anything that has too strong a connection to Man City (e.g. the Citizens) as the vast majority of football fans in Melbourne don't seem to support them. 

The second is anything too Green Street/Ross Kemp (e.g. Yarra City Service or Swan Street Elite). This should be a terrace for all of our active support to get behind the team, not a hooligan firm. Names like that will put people off joining us and will just be asking for negative treatment from the media. 

I agree with you on the first part but the second part imo you have it wrong. 

Your so called Hooligan Firm names are what attract the younger generation that will stand and sing the terrace in the next 20 years.

Having a Macedonian background I've grown up with this 'hooligan firm' support style, I mean look at RBB & NT. Why do they have numbers? Because the active support style which reflects to your idea of 'hooligan firm/s' attracts people to attend, sing and do whatever a terrace does on game day. 

I'm not saying we need to be 'ultras' or 'hooligans' but adapt to that style of active support (for example over-head clapping, western european & balkan style chants etc)....why? Because i cannot emphasise how much it works. The 'RBB' adapted to this style and it's proven that it works, in their first season they tripled in numbers compared to what Yarraside (no offence) were getting in games.

Which leads to my point... why not have a name like 'Yarra City Service'? The first step to developing into a proper terrace is to pick the right name. 'Yarraside' was perfect for this but we didn't adapt your so called 'Hooligan Firm' style of terrace and even 'Melbourne47' this shits all over 'HeartLand' and prevents us from ending up like the 'Marinators'.

RBB is the reason why FFA are cracking down on "active support" and making it "members only." Their own love-child turned out to be a hooligan.

RBB-type behaviour might encourage a small number of fans, but this is Australia and such behaviour will drive away many more potential fans than it will attract.

Just the way it is.

• Like 4

RBB is the reason why FFA are cracking down on "active support" and making it "members only." Their own love-child turned out to be a hooligan.

RBB-type behaviour might encourage a small number of fans, but this is Australia and such behaviour will drive away many more potential fans than it will attract.

Just the way it is.

I'm talking about the support on game day, in the stadium, not what happens outside the stadium.

Just the way it is.

I'm talking about the support on game day, in the stadium, not what happens outside the stadium. If you portray your terrace in a "hooligan style" you'd better be aware of what will happen outside the stadium or be willing to be branded a massive joke by the rest of the active community. Stick to just being active supporters.

How is a change of chant styles or a disciplined terrace going to effect what happens outside the stadium? and brand the new active support group/terrace whatever you want to call it a 'joke'? 

I think it has to be said that the words "Service Crew" for most ppl are associated with the Casual Firms from the UK like the Leeds Service Crew (Where the name originated) and not Continental Ultra Supporter Groups.

Both come under 'terrace culture' one way or another.