Adam Sarota

Forwards

Tim Cahill

Josh Kennedy

Tommy Oar

James Troisi

Adam Taggart

Franjic will be on the plane.

Actually fair call, might be used as a right winger in place of Kruse.

Defenders

Sasa Ognenovski

maybe Kisnorbo is the better option? ...

I love Paddy K and I think he's had a stellar season for a club that's gone so horribly but if he does get selected for Brazil, I can't see him playing any role bigger than a back-up. 

Sasa should start imo, he's a fantastic leader and a tactically astute defender and whilst his biggest downfall is his lack of pace, he has more than enough experience from his time in South Korea where the game's played at a frenetic pace to handle it.

Am of the belief that him and Spiranovic would be our strongest defensive pairing at this point.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Do these guys even exist right now.....?

964079_543259089066041_969475133_o.jpg

Not sure if I would laugh, cringe or be happy to see a terrace crew in Brazil.

Also I don't think I ever saw a national team have an active supporters group in tournaments before

inb4 RBB introduced terrace culture on the world stage

Edited by Young Polak

Centre-backs will be McGowan, Spiranovic, Good and Sainsbury, pending fitness.

Wilkinson has a chance, and Milligan might play there too.

Along with the Og-monster, Ange will want to take at least a little peppering of quality NT experience over to Brazil with him.

Along with the Og-monster, Ange will want to take at least a little peppering of quality NT experience over to Brazil with him.

0% chance.

Ange hasn't spoken to him, Og doesn't think he'll be picked.

0% chance.

Serious, this was said? 

I'm really surprised, I reckon he's great.

0% chance.

Serious, this was said? 

I'm really surprised, I reckon he's great.

Yeah, I heard it in an interview with Og somewhere... FoxFootball podcast maybe? Not 100% sure.

Basically he said that he has had no contact with Ange, and is expecting to be watching the WC from home.

Hmm, oh well! 

Our defensive four is actually going to be the most interesting part of our lineup because there's nobody really obvious staking a claim for a starting position. 

In my opinion (taking this Ognenovski news into account), I think we'll see Franjic, Spiranovic, Good, Davidson in the starting XI, barring any injuries of course. 

30-man squad: 

Goalkeepers:

Birighitti

Galekovic

Langerak

Ryan

Defenders:

Brillante

Davidson

Franjic

Good

McGowan

Spiranovic

Wilkinson

Wilkshire

Wright

Midfielders:

Bozanic

Bresciano

Holland

Jedinak

Luongo

McKay

Milligan

Rogic

Sarota

Vidosic

Forwards:

Cahill

Halloran

Kennedy

Leckie

Oar

Taggart

Troisi

I agree, he's only shown glimpses so far and he hasn't really dominated any games just yet but hopefully that'll come.

The 7 players I'd personally cut from that group of 30 would be:

Birighitti

Wilkshire

Wilkinson

Holland

Bozanic

Halloran

Leckie

I don't envy Ange having to trim the squad to 30 because it's definitely not easy.

Nate, Halloran has been FLYING with his performances in Germany.
He's a starting contender right now.

Bozanic has been very good in Switzerland, and Leckie has been decent.
I'd think they'll all remain.

In place of those three, personally I think it will be Brillante, Luongo and Sarota.

Also, your position groups are a bit off.

• Like 2

Would have Halloran and Leckie out wide. Our only chance is playing on the counter and these 2 are lightning quick and have been playing well in 2 Bundesliga.

Use Cahill's aerial ability and Oar as #10 for his set pieces. Rogic & Kennedy off the bench.

I agree, he's only shown glimpses so far and he hasn't really dominated any games just yet but hopefully that'll come.

Birighitti

Wilkshire

Wilkinson

Holland

Bozanic

Halloran

Leckie

I don't envy Ange having to trim the squad to 30 because it's definitely not easy.

I think you've got this so wrong.

Bozanic killing it in Swizerland, same too Halloran and Leckie in Germany.

There arnt many better options than Wilkinson with our injuries/omissions. He has played a lot of football in South Korea and James Holland is/as probably good enough to be in there, and I still rate Wilkshire.

• Like 1

Birighitti

Wilkshire

Wilkinson

Holland

Bozanic

Halloran

Leckie

I think you've got this so wrong.

Bozanic killing it in Swizerland, same too Halloran and Leckie in Germany.

There arnt many better options than Wilkinson with our injuries/omissions. He has played a lot of football in South Korea and James Holland is/as probably good enough to be in there, and I still rate Wilkshire.

Wilshire won't make it.

Also a bit of talk that Wilkinson has done a small injury.

I think wilkshire needs to go to the WC, not enough fullback options otherwise. On his current form, Halloran should start, who knows what he can do, confidence would be off the chart. Would like to see Wright make the final squad as well, and get a go, could impress and get a move to a bigger club.

So, after 3 MoM performances, stopping us from losing each group game 8-0 and instead we only lose 1-0 or 2-0, which club do we think will sign Mat Ryan?

I think wilkshire needs to go to the WC, not enough fullback options otherwise. On his current form, Halloran should start, who knows what he can do, confidence would be off the chart. Would like to see Wright make the final squad as well, and get a go, could impress and get a move to a bigger club.

So, after 3 MoM performances, stopping us from losing each group game 8-0 and instead we only lose 1-0 or 2-0, which club do we think will sign Mat Ryan?

Shane Lowry seems stiff to have missed out!

23 I'd take to Brazil at this point in time: 

Goalkeepers

Mat Ryan

Mitch Langerak

Eugene Galekovic

Defenders

Sasa Ognenovski

Matthew Spiranovic

Luke Wilkshire

Jason Davidson

Curtis Good

Ryan McGowan

Matt Smith

Midfielders

Mile Jedinak

Mark Milligan

Tom Rogic

Matt McKay

Mark Bresciano

Dario Vidosic

Massimo Luongo

Adam Sarota

Forwards

Tim Cahill

Josh Kennedy

Tommy Oar

James Troisi

Adam Taggart

21/23 (so far).   Well done.

I will even upgrade that to 21/22 as I reckon Matt Smith is a POM and therefore not eligible for selection.  

Fuaaark ahaha, I certainly copped it!  :lol:

As I said, it's not easy to trim it down to 30 as all players selected obviously deserve to be in Brazil - that's why they got picked for the extended squad.

Also Shahanga, Matt Smith's already played 2 games for the national team and I thought he might have been a smoky being one of Ange's at Brisbane but ah well!

The only obvious player that will be dropped is Birighitti.

Strong snub to Brad Jones (or is he injured?) that he wasn't included, but maybe Ange knew who the 3 keepers he wanted are already and so thought it would be better to call up a young player for the experience rather than calling up Brad Jones only to dump him for the final squad.

• Like 1

Fuaaark ahaha, I certainly copped it!  :lol:

As I said, it's not easy to trim it down to 30 as all players selected obviously deserve to be in Brazil - that's why they got picked for the extended squad.

Also Shahanga, Matt Smith's already played 2 games for the national team and I thought he might have been a smoky being one of Ange's at Brisbane but ah well!

Gotcha.  That East Asian tournament.  Completely missed that.  A converted Pom then and therefore eligible.

• Like 1

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as has been predicted, these guys aren't the golden generation but are a reasonable good counter attacking team with a threat from set pieces.The key is how well Jedinak & Milligan can screen the defence and move the ball forward quickly and accurately. Only fear is the threat from the opposition right wingers (Robben & Silva) against 2 very inexperienced players at international level.

Ryan

Franjic - Spiranovic - Good - Davidson

Jedinak - Milligan

Halloran - Leckie - Oar

Cahill

Don't think we can afford to have a passenger like Rogic on the park when we will spend a minority of the game in posession. If we're within a goal with 20 to play having Rogic and Kennedy on the bench could be pretty handy.

• Like 1

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as has been predicted, these guys aren't the golden generation but are a reasonable good counter attacking team with a threat from set pieces.The key is how well Jedinak & Milligan can screen the defence and move the ball forward quickly and accurately. Only fear is the threat from the opposition right wingers (Robben & Silva) against 2 very inexperienced players at international level.

Ryan

Jedinak - Milligan

Halloran - Leckie - Oar

Cahill

Don't think we can afford to have a passenger like Rogic on the park when we will spend a minority of the game in posession. If we're within a goal with 20 to play having Rogic and Kennedy on the bench could be pretty handy.

Fair post.

2 key issues will be:

• can we hold the ball?
  • can our young defence get the job done?

We may see bresc come in to help with holding the ball?

The team you've suggested will have pace, which is in contrast to those that Holger put out (that got flogged).

Cahill & Kennedy will be as good aerial threats as any at this tournament, but unlike in Asia will be marked by the cream of world defenders. 

Thought- what about Bresciano as the #10?  I'm not sure Leckie is up to it.

Edited by Shahanga

Ryan

Jedinak - Milligan

Halloran - Leckie - Oar

Cahill

Fair post.

2 key issues will be:

• can we hold the ball?
  • can our young defence get the job done?

We may see bresc come in to help with holding the ball?

The team you've suggested will have pace, which is in contrast to those that Holger put out (that got flogged).

Cahill & Kennedy will be as good aerial threats as any at this tournament, but unlike in Asia will be marked by the cream of world defenders. 

Thought- what about Bresciano as the #10?  I'm not sure Leckie is up to it.

Doesn't Tommy Oar predominantly play as a #10 for Utrecht? Leckie's got a lot more pace too so he'd probably be better out wide to exploit opposition full-backs on the counter.

Bresciano's an interesting one because I'm not certain as to how he'll fit into Ange's plans, perhaps he will be the #10 or maybe he'll be subbed on for Milligan/Jedinak if we're chasing a goal.

So Matt Ryan won the goalkeeper of the year award in Belgium and now the whole world will watch him at the World Cup.

Small rumour Real Madrid are interested in him but I reckon more big clubs will chase him after the tournament ends

Saw it coming as soon as he signed with Club Brugge. It's a lesson to to other young Australian players, make a smart move to Europe, not just a move to Europe. The Belgian league is a step up from the Australian, but not too high that good young Aussie players will disappear off the radar due to lack of game time. It's also a country that has produced boat loads of talent in recent times, just look at their WC squad, not many countries that can leave a guy like Nainggolan out, or even leave out a guy like Batshuayi despite the first choice in his position being ruled out with an injury. So much depth.

Not to mention the team he signed for is one where he can really shine, being one of the best clubs in the country, and it's also a club with proven youth development credentials.

• Like 5