Melbourne Football

Australia at the WC

Nate

Atrocious surface to play on, but that was vintage Socceroos. Possibly one of their worst ever. Poor individual skills and next to no cohesion.

Yeah I thought the surface was very poor too. I also suspect that international management is different to domestic management. It requires flexibility to adapt quickly to the players you have. I'm not sure this is Ange's strong suit. Either way jury is out on him until he has had them a few years with the chance to regenerate.

A few players had decent nights but we looked a mess at the back (centrally) such a shame Good, Williams and Sainsbury are injured I think they all represent a decent investment for the future of the national team. Mulligan and Holland really looked out of touch today. I'm not so concerned here with Mile and Marco to come in. The only concern with Bresciano is his lack of pace. I still think we can put up a much better showing than that come the world cup.

People might be selling South Africa short too. After the first 20mins (in which they were shit) they played fairly well i thought. They setup well and countered effectively. I'd say a draw isn't a bad result in terms of making sure this team has an under dog tag. Hopefully the old backs to the wall mentality comes out and we give a decent account come Brasil.

Dunno why we still have 4 keepers in the squad?

The squad will be only 23, with 4 players going as back-ups to cover for injuries.

Fully aware how the squad works, still no reason to have 4 keepers at this stage, would rather another outfield player was kept on and given a longer chance, that way a more informed decision can be made about the final squad. In the unlikely even one of the 3 keepers was injured before the first game (even after your 23 man squad is selected, you can make an injury replacement before the first game, and that player doesn't need to be in the provisional 30 man squad, so there wasn't even much point having 4 goalkeepers in the 30 man squad let alone this 27 man squad that's flying over)

Dunno why we still have 4 keepers in the squad?

The squad will be only 23, with 4 players going as back-ups to cover for injuries.

Fully aware how the squad works, still no reason to have 4 keepers at this stage, would rather another outfield player was kept on and given a longer chance, that way a more informed decision can be made about the final squad. In the unlikely even one of the 3 keepers was injured before the first game (even after your 23 man squad is selected, you can make an injury replacement before the first game, and that player doesn't need to be in the provisional 30 man squad, so there wasn't even much point having 4 goalkeepers in the 30 man squad let alone this 27 man squad that's flying over)

Fair point.

But youth development is driven by the strength of the local league, no? 11 players from the J-League will line up in this years world cup squad. 19 in the last one.

It certainly helps, yes, but Croatia for example only has 5 players from it's local league in its squad, and our 'Golden Generation' came about during the NSL era. I am not arguing that a strong domestic league is meaningless, but that we really screwed up in raising a second 'Golden Generation' because of past coaches' reluctance to utilise younger players.

But youth development is driven by the strength of the local league, no? 11 players from the J-League will line up in this years world cup squad. 19 in the last one.

It certainly helps, yes, but Croatia for example only has 5 players from it's local league in its squad, and our 'Golden Generation' came about during the NSL era. I am not arguing that a strong domestic league is meaningless, but that we really screwed up in raising a second 'Golden Generation' because of past coaches' reluctance to utilise younger players.

Or possibly the players just aren't good enough. Development only gets you so far, you cant polish a turd. 

• Like 1

Or possibly the players just aren't good enough. Development only gets you so far, you cant polish a turd. 

Aha yeah, that could be true as well I suppose.

Thats a common fallacy.

The root cause is the abject failure of the youth NT to produce the players that right now should be forming the bulk of the NT squad.  That youth team was the 2008 Olympic squad.

Of that squad of 23, only Spiranovic (who has made a career out of a step over and shot in that tournament), Troisi and Milligan survive in the current NT.  The rest are in the A-league, de-listed or lower Euro leagues.

Argentina who was in the same group have these players in the current WC squad from that tournament:

Romero,Garay, Zabaleta, Gago, Mascherano, Benega, Di Maria, Sosa, Aguero, Messi, Levezzi.

The people involved in selecting the players for our squad should be blind-folded and put in front of a firing squad.  How can they have been the best players in the country when 6 years later 20 out of the 23 are nowhere near international quality.

Without that natural progression, how is any NT coach supposed to regenerate the squad with youth?  Verbeek played over 100 players FFS!  These players never displaced the older player because they were not good enough.

• Like 1

Thats a common fallacy.

The root cause is the abject failure of the youth NT to produce the players that right now should be forming the bulk of the NT squad.  That youth team was the 2008 Olympic squad.

Of that squad of 23, only Spiranovic (who has made a career out of a step over and shot in that tournament), Troisi and Milligan survive in the current NT.  The rest are in the A-league, de-listed or lower Euro leagues.

Argentina who was in the same group have these players in the current WC squad from that tournament:

Romero,Garay, Zabaleta, Gago, Mascherano, Benega, Di Maria, Sosa, Aguero, Messi, Levezzi.

The people involved in selecting the players for our squad should be blind-folded and put in front of a firing squad.  How can they have been the best players in the country when 6 years later 20 out of the 23 are nowhere near international quality.

Without that natural progression, how is any NT coach supposed to regenerate the squad with youth?  Verbeek played over 100 players FFS!  These players never displaced the older player because they were not good enough.

This.

Thats a common fallacy.

I don't have a quarel with Verbeek. He picked the best players that were available to get us to a WC. That was his mandate and he achieved that. The issue of new players coming through is vexed. Our so called Golden Generation may be part luck ( a collection of good players arriving at the same time) and part youth development through the NSL teams. The disfunction that the NSL fell into towards the end may explain some of our current problems. However this was the 2008 Olympic team team that Arnold selected:

Mark Bridge, David Carney, Billy Celeski, Adam Federici, Neil Kilkenny, Adrian Leijer :( , Trent McClenahan :huh: , Mark Milligan, Stuart Musialik, Jade North :rolleyes: , Nikita Rukavytsya, Kristian Sarkies, Matthew Spiranovic, Archie Thompson, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, James Troisi, Tando Velaphi :lol: , Ruben Zadkovich :droy:

Edited by HEARTinator

I don't have a quarel with Verbeek. He picked the best players that were available to get us to a WC. That was his mandate and he achieved that. The issue of new players coming through is vexed. Our so called Golden Generation may be part luck ( a collection of good players arriving at the same time) and part youth development through the NSL teams. The disfunction that the NSL fell into towards the end may explain some of our current problems. However this was the 2008 Olympic team team that Arnold selected:

Mark Bridge, David Carney, Billy Celeski, Adam Federici, Neil Kilkenny, Adrian Leijer :( , Trent McClenahan :huh: , Mark Milligan, Stuart Musialik, Jade North :rolleyes: , Nikita Rukavytsya, Kristian Sarkies, Matthew Spiranovic, Archie Thompson, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, James Troisi, Tando Velaphi :lol: , Ruben Zadkovich :droy:

I guess the legitimate question is who should have been picked instead (as proven by the passage of time, not just opinion), that is the real test of Arnold's team - can't blame him for picking "duds" if thats all we had.

Names of the missing that come to mind to me:

Mile Jedinak

Robbie Kruse

anyone else?

Edited by Shahanga

Squad of 23

Goalkeepers:

Mat Ryan (Club Brugge), Mitchell Langerak (Borussia Dortmund), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United)

Defenders:

Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Jason Davidson (Heracles Almelo), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Bailey Wright (Preston North End), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk Motors), Ryan McGowan (Shandong Luneng)

Midfielders:

Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), James Holland (Austria Vienna), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town), Oliver Bozanic (Luzern), Mark Bresciano (Al-Gharafa), Matt McKay (Brisbane Roar)

Forwards:

Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls), Dario Vidosic (Sion), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets), Mathew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt)

Out: Mark Birighitti, Tom Rogic, Josh Kennedy and Luke Wilkshire.

Geez, very limited in defensive numbers. Very suprised both Vidosic & Troisi made the cut and Wilkshire was ommitted. Guess we'll be blessed with McKay being the 2nd choice at LB, whilst Shane Lowry didn't even get a look in as a versatile defender. Guessing it'll be:

Ryan

Franjic - Spiranovic - McGowan - Davidson

Milligan - Jedinak

Leckie - Troisi - Oar

Cahill

Would like to see Halloran and Leckie on the wings with Oar as the #10.

Agree that Halloran and Leckie should be our starting wingers, they've got so much pace and if we're to have any chance of scoring on a counter then it'll be through the runs of either of these two.

I'd also love to see Wright partner with Spiranovic in the centre of defence as he looks like a young guy brimming with bite and potential whereas McGowan looked fucking hopeless the other night.

Hopefully Ange makes the right calls because even if we don't win any of our games, a performance to be proud of is the minimum requirement.

Thats a common fallacy.

LMAO Tando Velaphi made that olympics squad

Thats a common fallacy.

I'm not sure what the normal amount of players to progress from the u23 to the senior team is, but off the top of my head I'd say the Argentina situation is not usual.

From an u20 WC you usually see only maybe 2 players on average for each nation make it to a senior WC squad. Obviously at u23 level it will be a higher number on average, but I doubt 11 is normal. Again, that's off the top of my head, I haven't looked into it so I could be wrong.

Players progress at different rates, so the players at the youth tournaments could very well be the best players at their age, just there career takes different turns from there on. Maybe not playing, or they get an injury, etc., while another player is a late bloomer.

Edited by Tesla

It certainly helps, yes, but Croatia for example only has 5 players from it's local league in its squad, and our 'Golden Generation' came about during the NSL era. I am not arguing that a strong domestic league is meaningless, but that we really screwed up in raising a second 'Golden Generation' because of past coaches' reluctance to utilise younger players. Thats a common fallacy.

The root cause is the abject failure of the youth NT to produce the players that right now should be forming the bulk of the NT squad. That youth team was the 2008 Olympic squad.

Of that squad of 23, only Spiranovic (who has made a career out of a step over and shot in that tournament), Troisi and Milligan survive in the current NT. The rest are in the A-league, de-listed or lower Euro leagues.

The people involved in selecting the players for our squad should be blind-folded and put in front of a firing squad. How can they have been the best players in the country when 6 years later 20 out of the 23 are nowhere near international quality.

Without that natural progression, how is any NT coach supposed to regenerate the squad with youth? Verbeek played over 100 players FFS! These players never displaced the older player because they were not good enough.I'm not sure what the normal amount of players to progress from the u23 to the senior team is, but off the top of my head I'd say the Argentina situation is not usual.

From an u20 WC you usually see only maybe 2 players on average for each nation make it to a senior WC squad. Obviously at u23 level it will be a higher number on average, but I doubt 11 is normal. Again, that's off the top of my head, I haven't looked into it so I could be wrong.

Players progress at different rates, so the players at the youth tournaments could very well be the best players at their age, just there career takes different turns from there on. Maybe not playing, or they get an injury, etc., while another player is a late bloomer.

Agree. Majority of the u17 + u23 squads tend to be early peakers, who don't get any better.

• Like 1

It certainly helps, yes, but Croatia for example only has 5 players from it's local league in its squad, and our 'Golden Generation' came about during the NSL era. I am not arguing that a strong domestic league is meaningless, but that we really screwed up in raising a second 'Golden Generation' because of past coaches' reluctance to utilise younger players. Thats a common fallacy.

The root cause is the abject failure of the youth NT to produce the players that right now should be forming the bulk of the NT squad. That youth team was the 2008 Olympic squad.

Of that squad of 23, only Spiranovic (who has made a career out of a step over and shot in that tournament), Troisi and Milligan survive in the current NT. The rest are in the A-league, de-listed or lower Euro leagues.

The people involved in selecting the players for our squad should be blind-folded and put in front of a firing squad. How can they have been the best players in the country when 6 years later 20 out of the 23 are nowhere near international quality.

Without that natural progression, how is any NT coach supposed to regenerate the squad with youth? Verbeek played over 100 players FFS! These players never displaced the older player because they were not good enough.I'm not sure what the normal amount of players to progress from the u23 to the senior team is, but off the top of my head I'd say the Argentina situation is not usual.

Players progress at different rates, so the players at the youth tournaments could very well be the best players at their age, just there career takes different turns from there on. Maybe not playing, or they get an injury, etc., while another player is a late bloomer.Agree. Majority of the u17 + u23 squads tend to be early peakers, who don't get any better.Case in point.

I remember seeing a young david williams play aus u/17 at bob jane versus a chilean national team and thinking, fuck this kid can play. Hes our next big thing.

Look at him now.

Also sarkies was in that team as well IIRC

Edited by sheepdog