Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

I agree about the marketing, advertising and branding power in the USA.. But speaking about football quality the A-League shits all over the MLS...

Like it or not the state of the competition here will be sensationalised by the media. because of David Villa going back so soon... The football public will feel cheated and it makes us seem insignificant...

I think we all would rather the club came out and say Villa is here for 4 games only instead of trying to string us along with false hope that he is going to return at some stage later...

I'm happy I got to see the little genius at work last Sunday. Not often you can say you saw a world cup striker in the flesh bag a goal for our team. Usually we're lamenting the wasted opportunities dead in front of goal by some of our donkey class ... oh yeah just like that one by Willo from 6 yards out :(

You must have missed Villa missing 2 from closer than Willo?

Anyway I thought Villa was a professional footballer paid a fortune to play?

Why his young kids can't miss a bit of school and his missus comes out to Melbourne (first class of course, with an au pair) for a few weeks for the experience I don't know.  

On top of that the club has misled its fans horribly - unfortunately they are starting to build up a pattern on that one.

Why his young kids can't miss a bit of school and his missus comes out to Melbourne (first class of course, with an au pair) for a few weeks for the experience I don't know.  

On top of that the club has misled its fans horribly - unfortunately they are starting to build up a pattern on that one.

Look at it from a human point of view, not as a 'professional footballer'. Melbourne is the first team this guy has played for outside Spain. Yes, he has travelled outside Spain with team mates, however he speaks very little English and is half a planet away from family and friends. He can't even just pop down to the supermarket to quickly buy something without it being complex. Unlike the US there is not a large number of people who speak Spanish as a first or second language. Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road, he has to think twice every time he crosses the street. Meanwhile his wife is trying to settle into NY with his kids and he isn't there. Yes, he's a professional and I'm sure he's being well looked after but it will still be difficult for him.

Look at it from a human point of view, not as a 'professional footballer'. Melbourne is the first team this guy has played for outside Spain. Yes, he has travelled outside Spain with team mates, however he speaks very little English and is half a planet away from family and friends. He can't even just pop down to the supermarket to quickly buy something without it being complex. Unlike the US there is not a large number of people who speak Spanish as a first or second language. Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road, he has to think twice every time he crosses the street. Meanwhile his wife is trying to settle into NY with his kids and he isn't there. Yes, he's a professional and I'm sure he's being well looked after but it will still be difficult for him.

IMO the real issue here is not David Villa, his personal circumstances, or NewYork City FC. The real issue is how transparent or not Melbourne City is being with its supporters. And the answer to that is "not very."

• Like 1

Agreed.  I have worked away a lot and when we had young kids too so I know the issues, but when money is no object a lot of potential solutions present themselves that can still allow the professional to practice his trade.  

That's sucks. It's bad for our club, the A-League and the sport in Australia.

CFG are always going to give preference to Manchester City and NYCFC. We will always be the "youngest sibling", so to speak.

I wouldnt say younger siblomg as the youngest are usually favoured

IMO the real issue here is not David Villa, his personal circumstances, or NewYork City FC. The real issue is how transparent or not Melbourne City is being with its supporters. And the answer to that is "not very."

We have been told that CFG are only as transparent as they want to be - not very! We have no influence over this, we are only customers and consumers of product, not club owners or shareholders.

We have been told that CFG are only as transparent as they want to be - not very! We have no influence over this, we are only customers and consumers of product, not club owners or shareholders.

customers and consumers have rights under the ACCC legislation etc.  A product needs to conform with its advertising, including what is implied.

Most of the football supporters, watchers, and new members will feel somewhat cheated by this..

I don't really mind if his here or he goes because Melbourne Heart/City is my club and also because I understand the football world. What I don't like about this, is that it seems to put the MLS league above the A-League... that really boils my fucking blood...

Australian Football is head and shoulders above American Soccer... and always will be...

You're having a laugh if you think Australian soccer is anywhere near American soccer. I know you're talking about leagues but you only have to look at the national teams to see the difference in quality. Worth noting that there tends to be more MLS players in an American squad than A-League players in an Aussie squad. IFFHS ranks MLS 50 places above the A-League (49 compared to 99). Tim Cahill going to the MLS over A-League is further proof.

Hard to see how we'll ever catch up to the Yanks when we have to play 2nd fiddle to them. Can't wait until a promising Melbourne City youngster is sent off to New York to continue his development.

• Like 3

True, they have been very careful not to claim that he was here for 10 games. It'll be interesting to see how much the season ticket holder count drops below 10,000 as customers ask for a refund given how Villa has been used to advertise the franchise.

10,031 today.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

True, they have been very careful not to claim that he was here for 10 games. It'll be interesting to see how much the season ticket holder count drops below 10,000 as customers ask for a refund given how Villa has been used to advertise the franchise.

10,031 today.

But let's face it, they did absolutely nothing to counter the media comment that he was here for 10. In fact, very recently there was media speculation that he could even be here for more than 10.

I liken the situation to that of shares listed on the ASX. A listed company is required to formally communicate with the ASX on any matter that might materially affect its share price, and therefore the buying and selling of its shares. Melbourne City simply failed to provide any commentary on the Villa situation, even though they knew bloody well that memberships were being sold on the assumption that he would be here for 10 matches, and they knew bloody well that he was returning to New York when all City supporters were assuming he would be here.

I don't have a problem with David Villa returning to NY. After all he could have been injured and missed games anyway. I bought my membership irrespective of David Villa, but I think City has deliberately withheld information and taken its supporters old and new for granted, and I do not like that.

• Like 1

if lampard was keen to come to melbourne more than villa was and was reportedly going to stay until January on loan, you've got to wonder why they didn't have him coming instead on a 10 game guest stint. At least he would've been here for the full 10

Surely the club would've done their research on the new loan rule that FFA brought in before they announced anything about villa coming

Dunno, seen it referenced in a number of articles. Not on our website or anything.

“We are incredibly fortunate to have David as a member of our squad for the first part of the A-League 2014-15 season. We would obviously want a player of his calibre to represent the club in as many games of the guest allowance as possible between now and the commencement of MLS pre-season training in January.

“The precise number of A-League games that David will play will be determined by the best interests of the player and his now New York-based family and the prioritisation of the requirements of both New York City FC and Melbourne City FC.

“That means that his playing and training schedule will be the product of all of those factors and subject to ongoing assessment.”

Only we could have near infinite resources for marquees and guest spots and we:

- Don't use the Austrlian marquee

- Get an old guy nobody knew about who gets injured as international marquee.

- Get David Villa, but only for 10 games, then realise it's only for 4 games, have no other strikers and play him on the wing. 

Same old Heart!

Only we could have near infinite resources for marquees and guest spots and we:

- Don't use the Austrlian marquee

- Get an old guy nobody knew about who gets injured as international marquee.

- Get David Villa, but only for 10 games, then realise it's only for 4 games, have no other strikers and play him on the wing

Same old Heart!

and still score all our goals lol.

• Like 1

One of my favourite things is fans whinging about players getting injured. It's sport ffs they're not robots. Sometimes clubs sign injury prone players and they don't miss a game all season and the clubs are geniuses other times you sign massive units of players who have had fuck all injuries and they get there leg broken in pre season by the softest kent in the league. If you only signed players with no history of an injury in their career we would only sign 18 year olds.

As for Villa he was never our player I've not taken him into calculation for our season. Even if he left today can thank him for the two points he pulled out of his arse for us and say goodbye. All the better if he tears those other muppets a new one on Saturday. More concerned about who we are bringing in as Aus marquee because if it isn't Kennedy we are fucked.

Edited by perthheart
  • Like 3

One of my favourite things is fans whinging about players getting injured. It's sport ffs they're not robots. Sometimes clubs sign injury prone players and they don't miss a game all season and the clubs are geniuses other times you sign massive units of players who have had fuck all injuries and they get there leg broken in pre season by the softest kent in the league. If you only signed players with no history of an injury in their career we would only sign 18 year olds.

As for Villa he was never our player I've not taken him into calculation for our season. Even if he left today can thank him for the two points he pulled out of his arse for us and say goodbye. All the better if he tears those other muppets a new one on Saturday. More concerned about who we are bringing in as Aus marquee because if it isn't Kennedy we are fucked.

the fact is we continually sign injury prone or old players who are 34+ y.o. e.g. fred, engelaar and Korren. What do u expect to happen when they are this age with a 4 month pre season... Get injurys like old man injury calf muscle tear. We should learn from our mistakes! we have all this money and we sign Korren who is 34. Obviously a good player but you'd reckon we could get the best marquee in the country with all our funds...??

november is going to be the difficult month with korren injured and no kennedy yet and villa obviously absent. December hopefull korren is back and villa plays a couple of games to see us through til xmas, then we will sign kennedy. So if we are mid table by xmas we can come home with a wet sail and crack the top 2

Edited by melbournelad55

What really concerns me is how much the club knew about this. From what they're saying, they knew that Villa would be leaving after a couple of weeks to return to NYC, and then "potentially" coming back. The biggest problem is that if they did know this, then why do we not have another fucking striker????? Even with Villa, we haven't looked like scoring goals in the first two games...without him our forward movement is reduced to Kisnorbo and Wielaert passing the ball to each other. With Koren injured (Ok I probably can't blame the club for that) I really wonder where the goals will come from.

• Like 1

I can't understand why CFG didn't just let the fans know that Villa was only going to play the initial 4 games before returning to New York.

These things are always going to get leaked to the press and quite understandably the fans get pissed because of the lack of communication.

Hopefully he does come back and plays 4,5 or 6 more games.

I just can't imagine what benefit he would get by playing just 4 games, especially as the MLS doesn't start until March.

I can't understand why CFG didn't just let the fans know that Villa was only going to play the initial 4 games before returning to New York.

TBH this type of bizarre thinking has Melbourne Heart written all over it. Considering that its all the same faces at the club, my bet is that someone from the old guard is responsible for this. Probably because (as has been mentioned before) they were happy to go along letting people think he was here for 10 games but didnt think it through

I think if you brought a membership because of villa then you are stupid. Here is why a) he is not our marquee B) It was never confirmed how many games he would play out of the ten. I would also like to point out the we want fans that are here for the long journey that includes supporting players that are spuds like Hoffman, murdocca and redmayne. David Villa has been a luxury to have in which I have enjoyed watching him play in our colours but everyone knew it would come to an end sooner or later now let's accept it move forward and enjoy the season that I believe we can still get success out of.

• Like 1