Melbourne Football

Matchday 19: vs Wellington @ Westpac Stadium - Sunday 16th February - 3pm EDT

cadete

I want a win, personally. Can't afford anything less than full points against the teams fighting for those last few finals spots, if we're serious about this top six push. And as a bonus, finally ditch this away games without a win streak, that we should have put to bed against Adelaide. With Engelaar back in, I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I'd back us to get a win against anyone except Brisbane in the form we're in at the moment.

The lads are playing as a cohesive unit and keep improving with every game, not to mention they actually look to be enjoying their football again and playing with confidence.

Wouldn't be disappointed with a draw as Wellington are playing well but we should be going over there with the intention of taking all three points.

I think given the adversary the team has had to go through over the past month:

-coming back from behind to win more than once

-being down to ten men and winning

-knowing they were capable of having 4 wins in a row

-dealing with really ridiculous 40+ degree conditions yesterday and coming out on top

-knowing we can put a game away without our marquee and also without kewell on the pitch

-earnt belief and respect in our youth players to step up

-fitness of our more experienced players increasing

-compounding belief in each other through each obstacle

-belief and huge respect for the coach

I'd say with all this behind us I expect the boys to stand up tall and proud and to play with courage. Going over to draw is not even thought upon. Do your worst Wellington, nothing can hurt us.

• Like 1

We play Wellington twice in the next five games. They're currently in 6th eight points ahead of us. If we're going to play finals we must win both of those games. A loss or even two draws in these games will be the last nail in this season's coffin.

Spot on. We don't know which teams out of those ones in the 4-9 range will fall by the wayside over the coming weeks (which has to happen if we are any chance of seeing finals action), but we do have a little bit of control of that, in some cases. And obviously, one of them is Wellington, where if we beat them both times, that's six points gained on them, right there. Then Wellington takes some points off a few other teams that will be competing for some of those spots and (assuming we can keep winning), it starts to look like we're in business.

This will be a tougher test then Roar the following week. Due to the fact we play roar at home and the past 5 games Roar haven't been playing a strong 90 mins of football they have kind of been playing well for 60-70 minutes then there performance has dropped. In contrast to the Nix at the cake tin its one of the hardest away games in this league. 3 points here and i think we will have the confidence to make finals. 

Much tougher game than Perth. Perth threw in the towel as soon as they saw the weather report. We have always struggled against the physical games of Wellington and Perth and thankfully Perth didn't bring that to the table last round. This week is different. They are at home, we never play well there and it will be cold. The are playing good football as well.

Biggest game of the season if we hope to make the finals. Win this and we are within one win of the 6, lose it and we are 8 points off.

• Like 1

Tough ask after travelling to play in 40 degrees, and backing up in Wellington 5 days later. 

JVS will go for the win, we have to, we need to make points up against Wellington, and get an away win monkey off our back.  The message that will send, 16 points from 5 games and rid of all the hoodoos under JVS 1st stint + JA.

Much tougher game than Perth. Perth threw in the towel as soon as they saw the weather report. We have always struggled against the physical games of Wellington and Perth and thankfully Perth didn't bring that to the table last round. This week is different. They are at home, we never play well there and it will be cold. The are playing good football as well.

Biggest game of the season if we hope to make the finals. Win this and we are within one win of the 6, lose it and we are 8 points off.

By my reckoning the last time we beat this mob was 4th December 2011 (at home). Matches against them epitomise all our failings both home and away, and if we really have improved we simply have to win this match.

And while the win yesterday was fantastic, it's still concerning that we can be unchallenged for the vast majority of the game and then a seemingly innocuous passage of play results in a goal for the opposition. It's now been over a year since we won and kept a clean sheet in the same game. We simply let our opponents convert far too many decent/promising chances into goals, compared to the ratio that we'd convert.

What's the story with Mifsud? Didn't play at all on the weekend? Still injured? If he's fit, he should be lining up with the youth team. He's not going to get over his yips sitting on the sidelines.

And while the win yesterday was fantastic, it's still concerning that we can be unchallenged for the vast majority of the game and then a seemingly innocuous passage of play results in a goal for the opposition. It's now been over a year since we won and kept a clean sheet in the same game. We simply let our opponents convert far too many decent/promising chances into goals, compared to the ratio that we'd convert.

What's the story with Mifsud? Didn't play at all on the weekend? Still injured? If he's fit, he should be lining up with the youth team. He's not going to get over his yips sitting on the sidelines.

Despite the heat one might suggest he is being frozen out.

Despite the heat one might suggest he is being frozen out.

Yeah when JVS talked about him being in the squad in the presser before the Perth game it was a straight up 'no'. No he is injured, no he is working hard to be apart of the squad.

• Like 1

More excuses than my ex. Get around the heart, if there was ever a time to break out hoodo it's now.

No excuses, 3-0 win. Orlando to get off the mark, you heard it here first :up:

Edited by kingofhearts

Definitely a tough place to go right now, but we are in good form so who cares. 

I agree that JVS will look for a win and doubtlessly is right now figuring out his tactical approach against his old rival Merrick.   I'm backing JVS to pull a surprise.  Heart to win 2-1 with The Nix getting a late consolation goal. 

Redders

Germano Robbie W Patty K Aziz

OE MM

Hazz

Maté Willo Ramsay

Why would a anyone want to drop the Hoff who has been one of the most consistent

performers all year.

Meanwhile on the other side of the pitch Behich's poor performances are consistently

over looked on here.

Last time out against Wellington he gave up. His latest against Glory was to head the ball

back into the danger zone leading to their equaliser.

In Hoff the tea leaves trust in Behich they do not

Redders

Germano Robbie W Patty K Aziz

OE MM

Hazz

Maté Willo Ramsay

Why would a anyone want to drop the Hoff who has been one of the most consistent

performers all year.

Meanwhile on the other side of the pitch Behich's poor performances are consistently

over looked on here.

Last time out against Wellington he gave up. His latest against Glory was to head the ball

back into the danger zone leading to their equaliser.

In Hoff the tea leaves trust in Behich they do not

think your tea leaves failed to see that he was heading a ball off the line stopping a certain goal, not much more he could do.

• Like 1

If Hoff had done that all hell would have broken loose. It was a poor headed clearance end of.

Have a look back the tea leaves are never wrong.

Have noticed your strike rate.

Aziz has been very disappointing to me this year, he's been a shadow of the bloke who left for Turkey.  I just thought you were a bit harsh on blaming him because of that header - he did clear off the line after all.

Edited by Shahanga

Can someone give me the address of The Imp? Considering going for the first time and taking a mate.

My advice is ensure your wallet is full for the overpriced beer

yeah shit i hate paying $7.50 for a pint with my membership card. so overpriced compared to $8/9/10/11 elsewhere :rolleyes: You get discount with your membership?

Really?

More excuses than my ex. Get around the heart, if there was ever a time to break out hoodo it's now.

No excuses, 3-0 win. Orlando to get off the mark, you heard it here first :up:

They would be excuses if they came from JVS. From me as a supporter it is just a reason to be concerned about the result ;)

• Like 1

I think we could see a drastically different line-up based on how players pull up from last weeks game. Particularly the older players may need to be rested or used from the bench. Is easy for us to sit back and say they are professionals and so on, but playing in that heat would take it out of you no matter how fit you are. Especially if you then have to get on a flight across the ditch. Would hate to see some avoidable injuries occur as a result.

Expect to see HK either on from the bench or left in Melbourne. Could almost be a blessing in disguise having had OE suspended in the end as he will still be fresh. Move Germano to HK's more advanced position and slot OE in. A midfield three of OE, JG and MM would be fucking difficult to break down. Giving us a chance to pick up some scraps on the break and nick it potentially.

Time will tell I guess.

Can someone give me the address of The Imp? Considering going for the first time and taking a mate.

My advice is ensure your wallet is full for the overpriced beer

yeah shit i hate paying $7.50 for a pint with my membership card. so overpriced compared to $8/9/10/11 elsewhere :rolleyes:You get discount with your membership?

Really?

Yes.

• Like 1