Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: vs Perth Glory @ Lavington Sports Oval - Sunday 9th February - 3pm EDT

Nate

I can't really see the point of playing in aubury, I mean it's great to develop fan base across a large area but for one aubury is in nsw and why is someone who live in aubury going to drive 3.5 hrs each week to see there team play, we would be better trying to get more members that live close to melbourne then ones in such far away towns.

Well i do, i travel down five times a season at considerable cost over and above my season ticket price so i can't see why you could not travel to Albury ONCE in this season. Thats the trouble with people who have not been outside of Melbourne to see a football match you are spoilt for choice, whereas in the country we have to make the decision to travel and suck up the cost which i think makes me a better supporter than some of the city people i love this game. It seems to me that you want your cake as well as eating it, come on get behind the team don't be fairweather supporters, i might just add that i am a  age pensioner and cannot really afford too much travel unlike some of you younger supporters, but i make every effort to be at AAMI park as much as possible.

Certified legends :up:  All of Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan money cannot by THIS (or can it :hmm:  )

• Like 1

Fuck mate so good

Tbh I don't see how we can't make finals, a couple of wins in the next few weeks and we are right in the mix

If we assume Brisbane, West Sydney and Central Coast are pretty safe, that leaves Victory on 24, Sydney 22, Adelaide and Perth on 21, Wellington and Newcastle on 20 and us on 12 to fill three spots.

Let's say we absolutely tear it up over the remaining games and get like 22 points (7W/1D/2L or 6W/4D/0L). That would put us on 34 points. And unless we absolutely smash a few teams (preferably one or two of those that will be battling for those final spots in the top six), we look like a good bet to have the worst GD in the comp. So, even with a great finish to the season like what's suggested above, we'd have to rely on four of the following not to happen (unless we can catch the team on GD).

• Victory to get 10 points
  • Sydney to get 12 points
  • Adelaide to get 13 points
  • Perth to get 13 points
  • Wellington to get 14 points
  • Newcastle to get 14 points

The run home for those teams is as follows (home games in bold)

Victory: CC, AU, MH, CC, PG, BR, Syd, NJ, WP

Sydney: AU, PG, NJ, CC, WS, BR, AU, MV, WP, PG

Adelaide: Syd, CC, MV, WP, BR, WS, Syd, WP, MH, NJ

Perth: MH, Syd, WS, BR, WP, MV, WS, NJ, CC, Syd

Wellington: NJ, MH, CC, AU, PG, MH, NJ, AU, Syd, MV

Newcastle: WP, BR, Syd, WS, MH, CC, WP, PG, MV, AU

And Heart: PG, WP, BR, MV, NJ, WP, CC, BR, AU, WS

As I see it, not only can we not afford to lose any games to those six teams immediately above us, we probably can't afford to let any of them get a point against us. Assuming we can continue to win, I think Perth could be the first team that we could overtake. Wellington in NZ on Sunday week will be tough; they've been playing as well as anyone in 2014 and I think that's going to be the game that - if we win (and assuming we take care of Perth) - I'll think we have a glimmer of hope (let's not forget, we still haven't won an interstate away game in years). Not before that though, I'm afraid. And the week after, we've got the Roar coming to town, of course. It's very difficult to see us doing it and I think we're already at the stage of hoping the top three teams smash everyone except us and when in doubt with any other games, barracking for the draw. But it's not impossible, just yet. Geez, those extra two points against Adelaide would have been nice.

The odds are heavily against us. We have a glimmer of hope if we can get to 36 points - i.e. 8 wins, or 7 wins and 3 draws, out of 10 matches.

The only way of approaching this is to take one game at a time and throw everything at it to win it.

We're three games undefeated now  ;)

JvS has come back from being 1-0 down three times this season to win two and draw one. We were 3 mins away from making it three from three!

JvS's record is 2W 2D 1L or DLWDW.

In the last three games we have 7 points from a possible 9, whereas someone like Victory has only 1 point!  :D

We have a decent record against Brisbane so if we can knock off Perth this weekend and claim our first Away win since 2011 the week after then I reckon we'll have heaps of confidence and momentum going in to the Brisbane game at home...where anything could happen! Then finals here we come, aye!?!

I cannot see us making the finals, realistically we have to win most of our games and hope the other teams trying to make the finals do badly. And start winning away, consistently. Don't get me wrong, we should still be trying to play well to set ourselves up for the offseason on a good note, but if we wanted to make finals we should have sacked JA much earlier.

• Like 2

6 of our remaining matches are at home - there's 18 points right there.

Wellington, Perth and Adelaide on the other hand only have 4 home games remaining and Victory only have 3 left + Derby!

Since Wellington are almost as poor away from home as us and Perth have to travel the longest out of everyone, we have an advantage over both of them.

I think you'll see us fighting it out with Sydney or Wellington for the 6th spot!

1. Brisbane

2. Western Sydney

3. Central Coast

4. Victory

5. Adelaide

6. Heart

7. Sydney

8. Wellington

9. Perth

10. Newcastle

It'd be pretty awesome if it comes down to us needing a win in the last round to finish in sixth and we smash NRMAIWSW 3-0!  :D

The odds are heavily against us. We have a glimmer of hope if we can get to 36 points - i.e. 8 wins, or 7 wins and 3 draws, out of 10 matches.

The only way of approaching this is to take one game at a time and throw everything at it to win it.

Agreed. The way I'm looking at it, if Heart ends up being in the top four teams by points from Jan 1 unti the end of the season, that will be an excellent effort. Finals is largely out of the team's hands now, so the goal should be on something that they can control, in my opinion.

I think we should reserve excitement levels until after we win against Perth and possibly the week after. As well as we have been playing, we could easily lose to Perth. If we win the next two, by all means get excited.

Absolutely, but we might win the next two and then might lose a couple as well. I'll believe we can reach finals only if we're in a position to do so 3 or 4 rounds out from the finish.

Harry Kewell says heat ‘will be difficult’

Jake Bourke

6 February, 2014

HARRY Kewell admits Sunday’s searing heat will push both Melbourne Heart and Perth Glory to the limit at Lavington.

But the Melbourne Heart captain told The Border Mail he was up for the challenge.

Forecasters are predicting temperatures of up to 41 degrees for Sunday’s match, with A-League officials confirming this week that measures such as added drinks breaks would be put in place.

Kewell, who has hit a rich vein of form over the past month, admitted the heat wasn’t ideal but said he had faith in his club’s medical staff to look after its players.

“Obviously you need to be looking at your hydration and we’ll have our medical staff looking at that,” Kewell said.

“But playing at 40 degrees, it’s still going to be very difficult.

“You need to drink the right amount to get the right hydration for the game.”

Kewell, regarded by most as the greatest Socceroo of all, said he was looking forward to arriving on the Border this weekend.

“It’s a place I haven’t been to and I like to travel, so a place like Albury is going to be something different,” he said.

“I think Sunday’s game is going to be very tough.

“Perth are a very physical team and they have (striker) Shane Smeltz who always seems to score against us, so everything is going to be favouring them.

“We have to just go out there and play our game.

“If we do that, then we’ll have half a chance.”

Despite the heat, a crowd of up to 10,000 is still expected to flock to Lavington Oval for Sunday’s 3pm kick-off.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2070349/harry-kewell-says-heat-will-be-difficult/?cs=10

Edited by Murfy1

Border fans show true Heart ahead of A-League clash

Feb 6, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart won’t be lacking Border support when they tackle Perth Glory at Lavington Oval on Sunday. 

Will McGrath, Dom Newnham, Lewis Tinley, James Wilson and Tegan Jackson joined Albury mayor Kevin Mack in donning the red and white of the Heart yesterday as A-League fever continues to grip Albury. 

The Border’s Mr Newnham, who is a regular at Heart matches in Melbourne, says if a you’re a sports fan, you won’t be disappointed by the spectacle this weekend. 

“The atmosphere and the fans are great,” he says. 

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2070358/border-fans-show-true-heart-ahead-of-a-league-clash/?cs=53

Edited by Murfy1

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 6.Patrick GERHARDT, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 10.Harry KEWELL ©, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Aziz BEHICH, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Nick KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO

**one to be omitted**

Ins: 21.Stefan MAUK (promoted), 11.Michael MIFSUD (promoted)

Outs: 4.Orlando ENGELAAR (suspension – one week)

Unavailable: Nil

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/round-18-ins-and-outs/85296

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 6.Patrick GERHARDT, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 10.Harry KEWELL ©, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Aziz BEHICH, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Nick KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO

**one to be omitted**

Ins: 21.Stefan MAUK (promoted), 11.Michael MIFSUD (promoted)

Outs: 4.Orlando ENGELAAR (suspension – one week)

Unavailable: Nil

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/round-18-ins-and-outs/85296

Thought Mifsud was injured last week? Because if he was 'demoted' it would have been nice for him to line up in the YL and try to get some form.

R18 A-League previews

Melbourne Heart v Perth Glory

The good times are back at Melbourne Heart. We don't really want to stick the knife in but in the five games since the club replaced John Aloisi with John van 't Schip, Heart have lost just once, taking eight points from a possible 15 and scored seven goals - just two fewer than the nine they managed in Aloisi's 11 games this season.

But fans making the trip to Albury's Lavington Sports Ground shouldn't expect a goal-fest; these are the two lowest-scoring teams in the competition and no one has more clean sheets that Glory keeper Danny Vukovic (7).

Despite the recent improvements in recent weeks, Heart remains the most inefficient team in front of goal this season with the worst shooting accuracy and the most shots taken per goal scored.

On top of that, Glory averages the fewest shots per game this season and also the fewest shots on target (3.9).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/r18-aleague-previews-will-brisbane-roar-against-the-wanderers/story-fnk6pqhd-1226819892517

Edited by Murfy1

I'm not feeling as confident about this one. The game is away from AAMI, Smeltz ALWAYS scores against us. We'll need to score at least 2 goals to ensure that we don't lose.

Could actually be the perfect timing for this fixture. We are the home team away from home, maybe that has a positive mental effect on the team to get these players to finally win away from AAMI, and we are finally on a run of form. Could be a great 3rd game in a row.

How did we get affiliated with Albury of all places anyway....

Would actually love to make it down, but never been to an away game, no mates will be interested and would need to drive 6hrs round trip...

Edited by United

I'm not feeling as confident about this one. The game is away from AAMI, Smeltz ALWAYS scores against us. We'll need to score at least 2 goals to ensure that we don't lose.

Could actually be the perfect timing for this fixture. We are the home team away from home, maybe that has a positive mental effect on the team to get these players to finally win away from AAMI, and we are finally on a run of form. Could be a great 3rd game in a row.

How did we get affiliated with Albury of all places anyway....

Would actually love to make it down, but never been to an away game, no mates will be interested and would need to drive 6hrs round trip...

You'll be going on the long way if you go down :P it's north hehe

John van't Schip: Perth Glory among the A-League's best

By Iain Strachan

07 February 2014

The WA side have received high praise indeed from the coach of their next opponents, who claims they are up there with the competition's elite when at full strength

Melbourne Heart coach John van 't Schip believes a fully fit Perth Glory are one of the strongest teams in the A-League

Glory coach Kenny Lowe will be without long-term injury victims Travis Dodd (knee) and Scott Jamieson (Achilles) for the game against Heart in Albury on Sunday afternoon.

However, veteran centre-back William Gallas is in the squad after overcoming an injury scare against Melbourne Victory last Friday.

Rostyn Griffiths will also travel to regional New South Wales, joining promising signings Nebojsa Marinkovic and Darvydas Sernas in a powerful, new-look Perth line-up.

"I think Perth have a very good team," Van 't Schip said.

"Everybody is almost back now from injuries or suspension. And if you look at their starting XI, it's a team that I think is one of the better teams in the A-League. 

"So we really have to focus on the team, not only one player in particular. Of course, (Shane) Smeltz is the goal-scorer, he likes scoring against Heart so we have to avoid (him) coming in the areas that he can score."

Van 't Schip also rejected claims a match played in what are set to be searing temperatures at the Lavington Sports Ground will suit the visitors from Western Australia.

"I don't think so, it's for both, equal," he said.

"They have a trip. We don't have the trip they have, (but) of course it's not really a home game for us. We also have to have an almost four-hour bus trip on Saturday. They are all things we can't do anything about, we can't control it.

"With that heat you can't play at a high pace. You will have more moments where you have to drop in and be very careful when you press. All those kind of things are going to be important in playing in a temperature like that. 

"Then again it still stays a game, there will be spaces, and it will be open. It's also going to be a mental kind of things. You're not playing against only an opponent but you're also playing against the circumstances."

Van 't Schip confirmed the Heart would potentially be interested in signing Socceroo veteran Mark Bresciano, who is training with the club while serving a FIFA-imposed ban preventing him from playing for Qatari side Al Gharafa.  

"Who would not like to have him? But ... we don't talk about that because he still has a contract for another year," he said.

"If things change then we will hear, it's more that we're helping him, he's helping us with his experience and there's nothing more to it."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/02/07/4600981/john-van-t-schip-perth-glory-among-the-a-leagues-best

Full audio of the press conference with JVS here: http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2073511/melbourne-heart-pre-match-interview-with-coach-john-vant-schip/?cs=12

Edited by Murfy1

A-League: what to look out for this weekend

Paul Connolly

7 February 2014

The heat is on

The resurgent Melbourne Heart are spreading the love this Sunday when they host Perth Glory in the New South Wales town of Albury, famous for being just over three hours’ drive from Melbourne. It’s a nice idea to give football fans and curious others in country centres the chance to experience A-League football up close, but the downside of Albury at 3pm on a February day is that it tends to be a little on the warm side. On Sunday it’s forecast to be a fruit-turning 41C. While such kiln-like temperatures will allow Harry Kewell to further enhance his tan – which, on the Bronz-o-meter, is approaching "George Hamilton" (equivalent to the military alert state Defcon 2, your dermatologist will tell you) — one wonders what effect it will have on the quality of football and, given the A-League’s attempt at proselytising, the crowd. 

Perth coach Kenny Lowe this week railed against the scheduling on the grounds of player welfare, and while there’s a counter argument that A-League football is a summer sport, and the conditions will be the same for both teams, it’s hard to deny he has a point. Extra drinks breaks may be implemented, but if the heat turns the game into a war of attrition and keeps the crowds away you have to wonder if the country adventure couldn’t have been better planned. 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/feb/07/a-league-what-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

Edited by Murfy1