Melbourne Football

Location of New facilities ?

InMyHeart

Any news on what the new owners look to be doing with facilities?

Was a rumour I heard from a friend the other day that the club will likely look to invest money at Latrobe Uni (Up to $20 mil he had said).No idea where he got it from, but if true a decent outcome.

There really are not many options closer into the city that are likely. Darebin/Northcote woiuld be excellent, but given the challenges to get control over the site, it would be too hard to get off the ground I would suspect.

It's on page 76 of the "Buy-out" thread.

Thanks man. Missed that one.

Sounds like a good move. Very substantial investment.

One must say though, what will that money buys us in terms of facilities? How many pitches? Gym? Pool? Admin? Social club? In construction these days, money doesn't seem to go far as we expect it would.

Edited by Heart_fan

Any news on what the new owners look to be doing with facilities?

Was a rumour I heard from a friend the other day that the club will likely look to invest money at Latrobe Uni (Up to $20 mil he had said).No idea where he got it from, but if true a decent outcome.

There really are not many options closer into the city that are likely. Darebin/Northcote woiuld be excellent, but given the challenges to get control over the site, it would be too hard to get off the ground I would suspect.

It's on page 76 of the "Buy-out" thread.

Thanks man. Missed that one.

Sounds like a good move. Very substantial investment.

One must say though, what will that money buys us in terms of facilities? How many pitches? Gym? Pool? Admin? Social club? In construction these days, money doesn't seem to go far as we expect it would.

Latrobe upgrade is just a stopgap measure for next season until a permanent home is built

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-closer-to-heading-home-20140409-36dm6.html

Looks like both the AFL and Cricket Victoria are putting up a joint plan to redevelop Junction Oval. Must be serious. The mail is that the Saints and supporters aren't happy being at Seaford and would prefer a move back closer to St Kilda. Leaves open the door for discussions between MCFC and Vic State Gov about redeveloping the Seaford site.

Edited by HEARTinator

If St Kilda and its supporters aren't happy about being at Seaford why would Melbourne Heart and its supporters be happy to go out there?

The Arabs will want prime land as close to the CBD as possible so if they ever decide to fold they would build something else on the land.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-closer-to-heading-home-20140409-36dm6.html

Looks like both the AFL and Cricket Victoria are putting up a joint plan to redevelop Junction Oval. Must be serious. The mail is that the Saints and supporters aren't happy being at Seaford and would prefer a move back closer to St Kilda. Leaves open the door for discussions between MCFC and Vic State Gov about redeveloping the Seaford site.

I have been saying Seaford for ages...

Its seems a logical move to try claim the SE as the majority of MV fans do come from NW (I do realise probably most of our current fans do as well.)

I think it has been brought up before, but what about the E-Gate area around the Docklands?

The clean up is likely to be BIG bucks.  I'm not sure how much they are willing to spend, but all those clean up $ will be gone before you start on the football infrastructure..  I know they did a clean up thing in Manachester, but they have already indicated that whilst they will spend money it will be comparative to the league (or similar words).

I think it has been brought up before, but what about the E-Gate area around the Docklands?

The clean up is likely to be BIG bucks.  I'm not sure how much they are willing to spend, but all those clean up $ will be gone before you start on the football infrastructure..  I know they did a clean up thing in Manachester, but they have already indicated that whilst they will spend money it will be comparative to the league (or similar words).

Yeah, that's fair enough, besides, I heard that that area was going to be developed into apartments and stuff.

What about staying at LaTrobe and upgrading there?

What about the Kevin Bartlett Sporting and Recreational complex where Richmond SC play out of? Especially if they can also utilise the oval then there's plenty of room for 5 full sized fields and then some.

Place is still not great for Soccer...

It's basicly a Flood Plain as it's the original route of the Yarra.

What about the Kevin Bartlett Sporting and Recreational complex where Richmond SC play out of? Especially if they can also utilise the oval then there's plenty of room for 5 full sized fields and then some.

Place is still not great for Soccer...

It's basicly a Flood Plain as it's the original route of the Yarra.

How do people know such things?

Place is still not great for Soccer...It's basicly a Flood Plain as it's the original route of the Yarra.

How do people know such things? I was told as such by my father when I complained about the puddles at school footy training which took part at KB Reserve.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting development opportunity, but trying to justify building a training complex the size we need there will just not add up.

The developers will need to throw in as much Residential and commercial space as possible, with some green space to satisfy requirements. Addng 4-5 fields and a training/admin base would be very hard to get to work in their sums, unless CFG paid a very large premium for space there.

Even if CFG did buy up the land, it would likely be in an area classed as green space and it would like harder to develop afterwards for profit. No win situation there really I would suspect.

The Latrobe project is large scale, it was part of Sidwells long term plans, might even be the only long term thing they were looking at.

The new owners are keen to develop existing relationships such as this one, but I imagine if they hit as much, or even half as much, of the hurdles that the previous owners had with the site to get a project greenlit, they will just pick another one. I know for a fact they have been scouting multiple sites and no doubt had developed plan A, plan B etc etc.

I really like the look of that Esite thing in North Melbourne, you could really have a gem there. Buy the land you need now, build the training facilities there, and if we one day happen to grow our club enought that AAMI park is no longer big enough, we can redevelop it into our new home. Right in the city basically... Would be sick!

The Latrobe project is large scale, it was part of Sidwells long term plans, might even be the only long term thing they were looking at.

The new owners are keen to develop existing relationships such as this one, but I imagine if they hit as much, or even half as much, of the hurdles that the previous owners had with the site to get a project greenlit, they will just pick another one. I know for a fact they have been scouting multiple sites and no doubt had developed plan A, plan B etc etc.

I really like the look of that Esite thing in North Melbourne, you could really have a gem there. Buy the land you need now, build the training facilities there, and if we one day happen to grow our club enought that AAMI park is no longer big enough, we can redevelop it into our new home. Right in the city basically... Would be sick!

Sorry, it has slipped my mind, what were the hurdles exactly?

I doubt that something such as E-Gate is realistic.

E-Gate is 20 hectares (50 acres) allegedly worth some $500m. By contrast the new City complex in Manchester is about 80 acres.

No way City will pay $10m per acre of land in Melbourne just for the land and then pay more for the development on it.

• Like 1

Plus egate is earmarked for a major residential development as well as commercial, like fishermans bend. If it were to happen the cfg would have to bend over backwards to add amenity to the community and of course, pay a huge amount. I think we should lower our expectations, we are a small club (at the moment) and will get something in preportion to that size. In 10 or 15 years then you could probably expect something big.

• Like 1

Money, essentially.

I'm pretty sure this was the main or only sticking point with regards to Heart developing La Trobe. In particular, money from government was the issue, in that redevelopment was always going to cost a lot of money (my guess, at least roughly 10 to 15 million), and the previous Heart board needed millions from government to fund the redevelopment, and the funds weren't forthcoming.

I reckon La Trobe will be the place. 4 to 5 quality pitches could be created there, along with the necessary structures and buildings to base the club. Perhaps in the future a superior option closer to the CBD will become realistic and worthwhile, but as things stand I'm tipping La Trobe to be the location.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Why happens in the off season? Any developments will not be ready by off season training commencement!!!

Does our team get hoared around to community based clubs parks like last season??

I don't think our owners will be happy with that idea, nor will any marquee or injury replacement player!!!

I live really near La Trobe but personally I think the club should be exploring the South East inparticular Seaford if the Saints move back to St Kilda. This region has a lot less Soccer fans compared to the North West and in that regard many more unaligned supporters to target.

I live really near La Trobe but personally I think the club should be exploring the South East inparticular Seaford if the Saints move back to St Kilda. This region has a lot less Soccer fans compared to the North West and in that regard many more unaligned supporters to target.

Who the fuck wants to drive to Seaford for training every day?

Definitely no one wants to live in the South East.

We need to keep it central, not really sure what central options there are, but we certainly shouldn't be moving further out than currently.

• Like 4

Who the fuck wants to drive to Seaford for training every day?

Definitely no one wants to live in the South East.

We need to keep it central, not really sure what central options there are, but we certainly shouldn't be moving further out than currently.

Why wouldnt the players want to live in the South East?

I am sure a lot of them from Interstate/Overseas would love to near the beach and a seabreeze.

Central Training Venues are a thing of the past... Victoria Park, Arden Street, Western Oval and soon Windy Hill are all Council Parks to walk the dog at because that is what the Inner City Councils want not Training Venues.

At least a Training Base in the South East would target a more unattached Supporter Base.