Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

7 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

BecUse I think he's been spoon feed his entire career. His barca squad was the GOAT club side and his Bayern team was loaded with stars and had no real competition. I'd like to see the circle jerk over him fall flat. (Plus I'm a Jose fan boy)

BecUse I think he's been spoon feed his entire career. His barca squad was the GOAT club side and his Bayern team was loaded with stars and had no real competition. I'd like to see the circle jerk over him fall flat. (Plus I'm a Jose fan boy)

Laughable.

He is is not a slow player, he gets the hard ball and is an exceptional playmaker with a good strike.

He doesn't need to be lightning fast for that role in a AMF or CMF position even though he has a great turn of pace when dribbling.

He would be wasted as a DM in my opinion.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 2

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-towns-aaron-mooy-top-11750743

Why Huddersfield Town's Aaron Mooy is the top Terrier

The Terriers have made more challenges than their second tier rivals

Aaron Mooy has made 11 tackles in Huddersfield Town's opening pair of fixtures - more than any other player in the Championship.

The Australian has won seven of those challenges as well as winning 15 of the 21 50-50s he has been involved in.

Mooy's contribution takes Huddersfield Town to the top of the tackling table, with the Terriers putting in 53 tackles in the two league matches they have played so far.

Birmingham City are the only other side to have made more than 40 tackles in the second tier so far, but their 46 challenges is still a distance behind Town.

The Blues have won the same amount of tackles as Huddersfield (38) and the midlands club has a better win ratio in the tackle at 82.6 per cent - Town are tenth in the league in tackling success rate with 71.7 per cent.

Burton Albion have made 31 tackles this campaign, winning 27 of them at a ratio of 87.1 per cent - the best in the top two divisons.

In terms of players, Mooy is followed closely behind by team-mate Chris Lowe who has made 10 challenges this season so far, winning eight of them.

Only Derby County's Will Hughes has hit double figures in terms of tackling this season, winning eight of the 10 he has made.

What is perhaps more telling still is that only six sides have conceded less fouls than Town this term, despite the Terriers putting in many more challenges than the other teams in the Championship.

Blackburn (31), Brentford (32), Burton (31), Newcastle (35), QPR (23) and Wolves (39) have all made significantly fewer tackles than Town, but have given away at least 15 fouls - only eight less than the Terriers.

Town are timing their tackles well and the 53 challenges they have put in have helped guide them to third in the Championship table - only behind Bristol City on alphabetical order.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jovan said:

They must really love tackles.

Winning the ball and putting pressure on the opposition, especially in midfield, is a great way to contribute to the team. Mooy displayed these attributes in the HAL and it's good to see that this translates equally effectively to the championship. From what I've read so far, knowledgeable Terriers fans reckon he could step up to the EPL. Fantastic start to Aaron's second go at English football and a great advert for the HAL.

Edited by HEARTinator

21 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Winning the ball and putting pressure on the opposition, especially in midfield, is a great way to contribute to the team. Mooy displayed these attributes in the HAL and it's good to see that this translates equally effectively to the championship. From what I've read so far, knowledgeable Terriers fans reckon he could step up to the EPL. Fantastic start to Aaron's second go at English football and a great advert for the HAL.

I get that and agree that the importance of takling and reducing space without the ball. But really it should be what you do with it once you've won the ball should be examined. 

Aaron is going to rip it up this season.

I just don't get excited about tackling and stats in general.  

34 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I get that and agree that the importance of takling and reducing space without the ball. But really it should be what you do with it once you've won the ball should be examined. 

Aaron is going to rip it up this season.

I just don't get excited about tackling and stats in general.  

No probs with that, it's only one aspect of the game that they've highlighted in this article. Maybe they were poor in this aspect last year and suddenly with Mooy they've found that not only are they winning the ball but he's providing some slick, incisive passing that's creating goal scoring opportunities. But yeah, I reckon he's on track to be a cracking player this season.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 10:18 AM, playmaker said:

He is is not a slow player, he gets the hard ball and is an exceptional playmaker with a good strike.

He doesn't need to be lightning fast for that role in a AMF or CMF position even though he has a great turn of pace when dribbling.

He would be wasted as a DM in my opinion.

I would disagree.

That is prefaced by taking, at face value, the assertion made by his agent that the loan at the Terriers was for City to assess his level and then determine whether there is a spot in the squad for him.

No matter how good Mooy can continue his development I don't think he will be able to find a spot competing against Silva, KDB, Nolito, Sane, Sterling and Ihenacho in playing as a number 10 or attacking midfielder. And that doesn't take into the young players that City already have in the academy (the two Garcias, or Brahim Diaz) on loan (Jack Byrne and Patrick Roberts) or the young players they've recently bought (Zinchenko, Gabriel Jesus and Moreno). 

Further, he wouldn't be able to unseat Fernandinho, Gundogan or even Toure for the central midfielder role.

Where he can make an impact is to play the Delph/Fernando role. The water carrier or defensive midfielder. And the only way to show that he can is to play a similar role for Huddersfield. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

From reports Ive read he had an average game and the assist was down to pure luck. Not trying to burst anyone bubble but he cant be amazing all the time. 

the assist wasn't an assist, but the ball went where he wanted it to.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

From reports Ive read he had an average game and the assist was down to pure luck. Not trying to burst anyone bubble but he cant be amazing all the time. 

Amen to that, match reports and player ratings in the UK don't say anything special about this morning's match, however the Australian press again run with MOM (or similar) stories.

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

the assist wasn't an assist, but the ball went where he wanted it to.

I'll jerk myself as much as the next person when Mooy plays well but that ball was a hit and hope one at best. Given the time in the match there was nothing wrong with that but let's not make it something it's not. 

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'll jerk myself as much as the next person when Mooy plays well but that ball was a hit and hope one at best. Given the time in the match there was nothing wrong with that but let's not make it something it's not. 

A well directed clearance at best. Keeper smacked it into that lanky guy and rebounded into the empty net.

Anyone claiming that as assist is delusional. 

But to get 4 from 6 against last season's EPL sides away is extraordinary and no doubt Mooy can take credit for his part.

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

A well directed clearance at best. Keeper smacked it into that lanky guy and rebounded into the empty net.

But to get 4 from 6 against last season's EPL sides away is extraordinary and no doubt Mooy can take credit for his part.

That last part I agree 100%

On 12 August 2016 at 2:12 PM, Jovan said:

So you think he had no influence on building that Barca side and was because of the players.

What he did at Bayern was because of the teams he played against. 

I'm a big Jose fan although his pragmatic approach at times is hard to watch especially his Inter years. But to say Pep has been spoon fed is laughable.

He is probably  the most influential thinker over the past decade and has changed the game.

While I agree somewhat that pep is not as good as what he is made out to be. Still takes some talent to win a champions league and a few league titles along the way too.

In saying that, he's made a lot of questionable decisions along the way like:

- ruining Mario gotze's career

- introducing the false 9 striker system along with the possession for the sake of having possession system. 

- playing midfielders as centre backs, if his teams weren't so stacked thru the midfield and forward line he'd be exposed more. Toure and mascherano come to mind.

- the Ukrainian centre back he splashed out for in barca only to return to Dynamo Kiev after about a season. Affellay and hleb come to mind too.

- shipping out eto'o and spending massive on zlatan, we know how that one turned out

- taking over at Bayern and making the team worse, yes they won the league every season he was there but considering he bought the best players from rival clubs to do this somewhat devalues what he achieved there. 

- tiki taka is boring

6 hours ago, Young Polak said:

From reports on the villa game, he has been creating chances in the box but failed to get assists to his name due to poor finishing from teammates 

Watching the friendly against Liverpool I was underwhelmed by what Huddersfield had up front.  i thought unless they brought someone in (which straight after they got that kid on loan from Chelski) goals would be a problem.  We'll see.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

Anyone who has played as a creative midfielder would immediately recognize that ball by Mooy was 100% intentional and it went exactly where he wanted it to.

For everyone else who will never know what that means, Mooys body is facing directly where he will kick the ball, his kicking action and follow through all point in the direction the ball went.  Of course his brain had already sum it all up well before hand, and it was just a matter of the body making it happen,

Put a grafter in the same situation and that ball ends up anywhere but where Mooy put.

Surprised people still doubt him on this forum where we've all seen hin do similar things numerous times before.

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Couldn't disagree more

What the keeper did is irrelevant to what Mooy did

54 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Couldn't disagree more

What the keeper did is irrelevant to what Mooy did

Just watched it again.  Maybe it wasn't a clearance per say. But to say it was well weighted accurate pass is just wrong. It went over the head of striker by a few meters and went straight to keeper.

I'm not saying he didn't intend hitting that pass but it missed it's mark.

39 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Just watched it again.  Maybe it wasn't a clearance per say. But to say it was well weighted accurate pass is just wrong. It went over the head of striker by a few meters and went straight to keeper.

Basically how everyone in the world minus one saw it 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If you look at Mooys kicking technique its 100% an intended pass.  head over the ball, instep in the direction of where he wants it to go, follow through to loft it in the airDid it miss its mark?

Well the Villa defender holds his ground and nudges the Huddersfield striker under the ball. At that point the ball is about 1 metre or less above the strikers head.

Capture.2PNG.PNG

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

If you look at Mooys kicking technique its 100% an intended pass.  head over the ball, instep in the direction of where he wants it to go, follow through to loft it in the airDid it miss its mark?

Well the Villa defender holds his ground and nudges the Huddersfield striker under the ball. At that point the ball is about 1 metre or less above the strikers head.

Capture.2PNG.PNG

Capture.PNG

So yes, it did miss its mark

2 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Yeah he's supposed to take into account the defender's actions carrying the striker forward in a lofted 50 metre ball.  Clearly you've never attempted a pass remotely resembling that even in primary school.

Relax. He intended to hit the pass, he overhit it just, they got lucky and it came off.

I couldnt kick that far to start with, and even when allowing for distance, id hit it 'perfectly' probably one in 20. Its fucking hard.

• Like 1