Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Mooy doesn't have the pace to play in a top European League. He can stay where he's comfortable and happy and well paid or go sit on a bench in Europe

Hmmm I would have to disagree with that- he is actually pretty sharp, strong ( seems to have bulked up a bit this year too) has a great engine and good technique. All of those combined means he definitely has the tools to be a good player at a higher level. 

I think it's interesting to note how he plays quite differently for Australia and City. I think he ( Bruno and Harry too) have little faith in a number of City players, and that's why they seem to dwell on the ball/hold onto it too long. 

• Like 2

I don't buy into all this "he's gone" stuff. He's already first choice number 10 for the national team, on stupid money and has a kid on the way. He's also just recently bought a new place.

If he gets an offer from a Euro club where he's guaranteed playing time he'll almost definitely be taking a pay cut to unsettle his family and if a truly big club came that'd be paying him the same amount or more there's a big risk he'll be warming the bench which could push him out of the national team.

I just don't see it personally.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Mooy doesn't have the pace to play in a top European League. He can stay where he's comfortable and happy and well paid or go sit on a bench in Europe

He plays in the outfield position least reliant on pace, I don't see the issue.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I don't buy into all this "he's gone" stuff. He's already first choice number 10 for the national team, on stupid money and has a kid on the way. He's also just recently bought a new place.

If he gets an offer from a Euro club where he's guaranteed playing time he'll almost definitely be taking a pay cut to unsettle his family and if a truly big club came that'd be paying him the same amount or more there's a big risk he'll be warming the bench which could push him out of the national team.

The highest figure reported for his salary is $1.3m, with figures as low as half of that also reported. Even if it is $1.3m, that's not an outrageous salary for a club in a top European league, especially since the tax rate and living costs are going to be higher in Australia so he doen't actually need to be paid as much to be in put in an equivalent position. Also with the main transfer rumours being the EPL, $1.3m in the EPL isn't much of a salary at most clubs.

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, tommac said:

Hmmm I would have to disagree with that- he is actually pretty sharp, strong ( seems to have bulked up a bit this year too) has a great engine and good technique. All of those combined means he definitely has the tools to be a good player at a higher level. 

I think it's interesting to note how he plays quite differently for Australia and City. I think he ( Bruno and Harry too) have little faith in a number of City players, and that's why they seem to dwell on the ball/hold onto it too long. 

All A-League based players play differently for the NT. Ange and his team seem to extract something else from the players - Luongo is not the same at club level, Juric is pretty average at club level, etc.

24 minutes ago, Tesla said:

The highest figure reported for his salary is $1.3m, with figures as low as half of that also reported. Even if it is $1.3m, that's not an outrageous salary for a club in a top European league, especially since the tax rate and living costs are going to be higher in Australia so he doen't actually need to be paid as much to be in put in an equivalent position. Also with the main transfer rumours being the EPL, $1.3m in the EPL isn't much of a salary at most clubs.

I agree but that puts him in that second category of clubs I mentioned where I'm not really sure if he'll nail a spot in the first XI. How many Premier League clubs would he really play consistent first team football for? What club has a worse number 10 than Mooy? I wouldn't think there'd be many.

Just now, Jimmy said:

I agree but that puts him in that second category of clubs I mentioned where I'm not really sure if he'll nail a spot in the first XI. How many Premier League clubs would he really play consistent first team football for? What club has a worse number 10 than Mooy? I wouldn't think there'd be many.

Would take at Villa in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perthheart said:

Reckon he's keen to settle down in Melbourne with his kid on the way, Jimmy seems more or less bang on. The bloke is an international footballer but spends half his time plugging his Missus cupcake company. Clearly enjoys being relatively out of the spotlight.

A bit like a midfielder who was almost as good as Mooy - Paul Scholes.

He is the club's most marketable commodity.  Given City's genuine struggles in the Melbourne market (being a fair way of membership numbers and attendance), I sense they have no desire to sell off their brightest shining light.  We know they don't need the $$$ from selling him.  At present, other than a rubbish coach, they can offer him whatever he needs, including secure & sensible future moves, and they can continue to try and build our success around him for the next few years (obviously with a new manager).  

Why would he leave just now after a few good games against teams ranked in the 100s in the world rankings?  You don't get a sense he is unhappy.  I think the club would definitely move on JVS before losing Mooy if that was an issue.

He is regarded as the league's best player (but in a club that still has a lot to do both on and off the field, so there is a legacy opportunity), he is on fantastic guaranteed money, he is at a club that easily is the best resourced in the land, his immediate future is secure, he is arguably the most important Socceroo player, he has off-season opportunities in terms of NYC & Manchester, and he is in Australia.  We should change our name to Mooybourne City FC ...

2 hours ago, tommac said:

His first 5m acceleration is the issue for him in Europe I think. I agree that it shouldn't be an issue but it is especially in UK. He'd be perfect in the right team, especially ours (with a good coach)

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

In the english game they'd want him to have pace especially in the championship where his qualities wouldn't be respected

As i've said i think he'd suit somewhere like holland or belgium where the style is technical but those clubs aren't awash with money 

Mooy would suit a LIGA BBVA squad, smack bang in the midfield 

7 hours ago, tommac said:

Agree with this. Altogether he's got the physical qualities, together with his supreme football qualities, to make a real impact in Europe.

17 hours ago, Tesla said:

The only way this bloke will be here next season is if he suffers a serious injury.

I honestly struggle to see us even retaining him after January.

It just makes no sense for Mooy to stay at this club. It's not good for his career to play in the A-League when he can play in any league in the world, even though the club doesn't need the money it frankly makes no sense rejecting like a $5m transfer fee in the A-League, and if you're some European club in a top league why wouldn't you pay $5m for Mooy and sell him for $30m after a season.

Obviously as fans we don't want to see him go, especially since we know the club isn't going to be under financial strain any time soon, but I really wouldn't blame the club or player when the inevitable happens.

If Mooy keeps up his form over the remainder of the season, and justly picks up numerous Player of the Season awards, I agree it'll be very tough to keep him next season. After two seasons of dominating the A-League I'd say it's unclear if Mooy could develop further in the A-League, and Mooy has said multiple times that he wants to play at the best level he can and keep improving.

It'll come down to the opportunities that present themselves for Mooy, though. For Mooy to get transferred (as a club would have to buy him), 3 things would need to be present: A) A respectable club (probably EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A), B). Game-time (being loaned out or a reserve player would be a deal-breaker) and C) Money (which would be interesting. European clubs lowball Australian clubs and players all the time, and I doubt CFG would countenance that).

Fully agree the club or player couldn't be blamed if Mooy leaves, as we'll be potentially holding back his development if he stays after another season of dominance. I also agree that it is inevitable that he will leave eventually, although I'm hopeful that he stays around for at least this season.

Us Melbourne City fans have to enjoy Mooy while we can, as it might be a long time before we see an Australian player of his like again.

Edited by Murfy1

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

But your post does not conform to this forum's "the sky is falling" narrative. A special forum re-education programme may be required. (I understand that Strider had volunteered to run this programme)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

But your post does not conform to this forum's "the sky is falling" narrative. A special forum re-education programme may be required. (I understand that Strider had volunteered to run this programme)

I wouldn't at all rule out the possibility of Mooy staying this season and next season. And if we were to keep a player of Aaron Mooy's pedigree between a footballer's peak years of 23 and 27 (when footballers are very expensive as well, because their market value often includes their potential) it would be an extraordinary achievement IMO. Also, it's helpful for us that personal factors might make Mooy more inclined to stay in Melbourne for at least 2 more seasons.

But at the same time, it must be acknowledged what Mooy himself has said, and recently too just before this season kicked off:

Speaking after his two-goal heroics in City's 2-1 win over Edgeworth Eagles in the FFA Cup round of 32 on Tuesday, Mooy did little to dispel the rumours linking him with a transfer to Europe or the Middle East.

"I still don't know exactly what's happening," Mooy was quoted as saying by News Corp.

"I've still got a year left on my contract at City, but I'll just take it day by day and see what happens.

"If you can play at a higher level, it's great.

"But Melbourne City, the club's growing, it's got everything now with the facilities and the professionalism here is first class so it's not a bad place to be at all."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/transfer-zone/2015/08/06/14196752/aaron-mooy-coy-on-melbourne-city-future

And this, when asked about interest from Europe: "I don't know what the future holds, but I'm ambitious, and I always want to do my best and try and reach higher levels. So, hopefully, one day in the future maybe" http://video.perthnow.com.au/v/407733/Aaron-Mooy-grounded-despite-Premier-League-links

If Mooy keeps up his white-hot form and we keep him until the end of the season, another 6 months, that still very good IMO. I don't consider that being pessimistic at all; in many ways we were lucky to re-sign Mooy and keep him going into this season, and if Mooy continues with his performances we'll need a bit of luck to keep him in Janunary. 

But realistically, given Mooy's unplayable form for club and country, I think he is more likely to move to Europe than not next season if his stellar form continues. I am pretty confident though that we'll enjoy seeing Mooy in a Melbourne City jersey for the rest of this season, and that in itself I rate as a pretty good outcome.

Edited by Murfy1

5 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Here's a depressing thought: I genuinely don't think I will ever see a player as good as Mooy is right now again at this club in my lifetime. I'd certainly say he's closing in on Matt Ryan and Mile Jedinak as the best player this league has ever produced.

Time to start thinking of a replacement ? mitch nichols maybe.... 

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

Here's a depressing thought: I genuinely don't think I will ever see a player as good as Mooy is right now again at this club in my lifetime. I'd certainly say he's closing in on Matt Ryan and Mile Jedinak as the best player this league has ever produced.

Saying the A-League produced Mooy is a huge stretch. 

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

Caceres from Central Coast is a gun, has a lot of potential. Or even Liam Rose, kid is only 17 years old.. Although mooy is literally irreplaceable

Edited by wfc_10

I agree. I don't think we'll see talent like Mooy for a long time. You won't get foreign imports at that age on that level as they'll be trying to make it in Europe, so it'll have to be Aussie kids who are coming through and have a breakout season like Mooy did. But then firstly they have to be at your club, and secondly not have booted off to Europe.

On 18/11/2015, 23:51:00, Jestr said:

Am I the only one who thinks Jedinak is overrated???????

I understand where you are coming from. I used to hate Jedinak but have to admit he has turned into a very very good player in the past 3-4 years. Don't mistake doing the simple things very well with being a simple player. It is the essence of his position.How many other Aussie players have held down a position in the EPL in recent years? He is not stylish or flashy but produces the same kind of performance at whatever level he plays at.  

On 18/11/2015, 10:05:17, Imperial Pints said:

By pace do you mean foot speed? Got to be the most overrated attribute in world football. He's got enough tricks to make it in Europe imo. Mooy won't leave in Jan but there's no chance he'll still be playing for us next season.

Don't know exactly how fast Mooy is or isn't. Some guys look slow but are deceptively fast. Had a discussion with a guy once who had all the data for all Socceroos going back to the 70s for 20 metre sprints. A couple of guys who I thought would be quite slow were actually among the fastest ever e.g. Ned Zelic. They sometimes appear slower because they have more time to do things because of their awareness and skill. But he also said that if you can't run the 20m in under 3 seconds you will NEVER be an International player as EVERYONE at that level has that speed and then it is more or less skill (including mental strength) that separates them. EPL would be the same. So, if Mooy is fast enough, he probably has the skill to make it in Europe. If not, he won't. Given that he has done reasonably well at international level already, he probably is in the ball park for speed. But foot speed is not the most overrated attribute in world football. It is the absolutely necessary foundation that a career at a high level is built on.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dr lime said:

Don't know exactly how fast Mooy is or isn't. Some guys look slow but are deceptively fast. Had a discussion with a guy once who had all the data for all Socceroos going back to the 70s for 20 metre sprints. A couple of guys who I thought would be quite slow were actually among the fastest ever e.g. Ned Zelic. They sometimes appear slower because they have more time to do things because of their awareness and skill. But he also said that if you can't run the 20m in under 3 seconds you will NEVER be an International player as EVERYONE at that level has that speed and then it is more or less skill (including mental strength) that separates them. EPL would be the same. So, if Mooy is fast enough, he probably has the skill to make it in Europe. If not, he won't. Given that he has done reasonably well at international level already, he probably is in the ball park for speed. But foot speed is not the most overrated attribute in world football. It is the absolutely necessary foundation that a career at a high level is built on.    

I'd love to know pirlo's 20 meter time these days. Be lucky if he ran 20 meters at a time I'd guess.

• Like 3

On 18/11/2015 22:24:36, GreenSeater said:

Here's a depressing thought: I genuinely don't think I will ever see a player as good as Mooy is right now again at this club in my lifetime.

Even more depressing is that we will probably never get to see him play for us when this club gets its shit together and is enjoyable to watch

14 hours ago, dr lime said:

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
Ha, didn't see the Pirlo comment!

While I want to see the club win games,  to me it's worth the membership price just to watch this guy go about his business every week. 

Doesn't excuse the clubs poor management around him but it's a rare privilege in Australian football to watch someone that good come of age at your club.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dr lime said:

LOL.

Xabi Alonso?

Pirlo?

As I said in my above post, playing in central midfield doesn't require pace.

WTF do you need pace for when you can pass a ball onto some bloke making a run's feet from 50m away?

Edited by Tesla