Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Mooy got a good wrap and a pretty spot on summary of his game (IMO) from Tim Cahill:

[Cahill] was also full of praise for Melbourne City midfielder Aaron Mooy, who started both games and took a giant step towards proving he was capable of playing at international level on a regular basis.

"I have always been a fan of him. He's a box-to-box midfielder, he can pass, he has set plays, he's a very complete footballer. We are lucky these games have come up where he can show what he can do.”

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3340868/socceroos-tim-cahill-anoints-new-boy-luke-brattan-as-potential-successor-to-mark-bresciano/?cs=2439

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed how much "bigger" Mooy has gotten since his WSW days? I mean physically. Wouldn't be surprised if we have some intense training and supplement regime (hence the overload of injuries). 

Melbourne City Bombers 

He's spoken about the different approach to training this season, concentrating on "power", and also mentioned that he does extra if he doesn't think his set daily program is sufficient.

Mooy form no surprise to Paartalu

By Greg Prichard

3 OCT 2015

Two-time A-League championship winner Erik Paartalu says Aaron Mooy is "in the zone" for Melbourne City as the club enters the final week of preparations for its A-League campaign.

City will kick off with a huge game against Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium next Saturday night.

Paartalu knows as well as anyone what sorts of players it takes for a club to be successful. He is one of those himself, having had a major influence on Brisbane Roar's success while he was at the club.

And Paartalu told The World Game that what the rest of us are seeing from Mooy in games, the City players are seeing every day at training as well.

Mooy, who was City's leading goal-scorer last season, with seven, scored a hat-trick in the team's 5-0 FFA Cup quarter-final win over Heidelberg United on Tuesday night.

He has now scored six goals in three games in that competition this season.

But that is just one part of Mooy's game. His playmaking and creating of goal-scoring chances has been outstanding, and he has cemented his place in the Socceroos squad.

"Aaron has reached a stage in his career where he definitely feels comfortable in his surroundings," Paartalu said.

"You can tell that from the way he plays. He's in, I guess, what they call the zone and he's very unpredictable.

"You try to mark him at training and it's very difficult to get close to him, so he's certainly going to be a big player for us this season. But we're all looking at ways to help him out because you can't have one man trying to win you the league.

"You've all got to pitch in and Aaron has probably taken a lot more of the load than he should, but while he's in this form I don't think many people can stop him."

Paartalu said Mooy isn't given enough credit for his football brain, and that it is the key to the midfielder finding space in a crowded engine room, when others around him cannot.

"I think they just think he's got good ball skills or he's good technically, but I just think he's very intelligent with his movement," Paartalu said.

"It's not 100 miles an hour, but it's always thinking about where the next pass is going to be and when he gets the ball he's so comfortable on it that he rarely makes mistakes and he opens things up for us.

"It's nice to play alongside him, certainly in my position because it makes my job a hell of a lot easier having that outlet to play the ball to someone like him."

[...]

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/10/03/mooy-form-no-surprise-paartalu

** The end of this article is in the Paartalu thread here **

Edited by Murfy1

Mooy, Elrich basking in Socceroos sun

Ben McKay

October 5, 2015

Once Western Sydney Wanderers offcuts, Socceroos odd couple Aaron Mooy and Tarek Elrich are enjoying an unlikely reunion in Socceroos colours.

It was just over three years ago that the pair - then uncapped and largely unremarkable - were brought together, alongside Kwabena Appiah, as inaugural signings for the expansion A-League side.

Mooy was homesick after six years abroad, beginning in the academy of English Premier League side Bolton then moving to Scottish outfit St Mirren in search of first-team football.

Elrich, a championship winner with Newcastle Jets, was discarded at the end of the 2011-12 season and resorted to unofficial matches with the Lebanese side to "get my name out there".

Elrich says in a funny way, he owes his Socceroos stint to Mooy after a selection chain-reaction forced him out of Western Sydney.

"Mooy was playing as a number ten and we signed Shinji Ono and you can't drop him," he said.

"(Wanderers manager Tony Popovic) put Mooy as a six, so Jerome Polenz was moved to right-back and I missed out.

"I got another lifeline from Adelaide United and look where I am."

Mooy too chose to leave the Wanderers, moving south to Melbourne City; a switch that has proved a masterstroke.

It was not the first time Mooy was targetted by City coach John van 't Schip, having turned down the Dutch coach's offer to join the inaugural Heart squad in 2010.

Van 't Schip eventually got his man and has reaped the rewards from Mooy's first full season in his preferred role.

The 25-year-old won every major gong at City's end of season awards night in the club's best-ever year.

Mooy has played in four of the last five internationals under Postecoglou, with a trajectory heading towards the Russia 2018 World Cup.

But he doesn't feel like part of the Socceroos furniture yet.

"I don't feel at home yet, I don't really think like that and I don't want to be too comfortable," he said.

The pair are rooming together in Amman, and could easily line up together in Australia's starting 11 in the World Cup qualifier on Thursday night (early Friday morning AEDT) against Jordan.

World No.99 Jordan defeated Iraq 3-0 in a friendly match in Amman on Saturday, and Mooy said the Socceroos were taking the occasion very seriously.

"It's a very important game, they're probably the strongest team in the group," he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/soccer/a/29722946/mooy-elrich-basking-in-socceroos-sun/

• Like 2

Sleep the secret for Melbourne City’s Aaron Mooy

Matthew Windley

October 11, 2015

SLEEP was the secret ingredient that allowed Aaron Mooy to heroically back up for Melbourne City in Sydney less than 48 hours after playing for the Socceroos in the Middle East.

Mooy played a full game in Australia’s 2-0 loss to Jordan on Friday morning (AEDT).

But despite only landing in Sydney at 7am on Saturday morning, 12 and a half hours before kick-off at Allianz Stadium, the midfielder came on as a substitute in the 57th minute to help City secure a point against the Sky Blues.

The 25-year-old said by some fluke of nature he was not feeling heavy in the legs as a result of his Socceroos exploits, while flying first class from Dubai to Sydney — the first time in his life he had ever been at the pointy end of a plane — helped him get seven hours sleep during the 12-hour flight.

Mooy’s basic sleep-eat-sleep routine for the past few days resembled that of a newborn baby.

“After the game I went in the pool, did an ice bath and then basically just sat on the bed at the hotel in Jordan until we left for the airport,” Mooy said.

“We had two flights, one to Dubai for about three hours where I slept the whole time, and then to Sydney.

“I had something to eat when I first got on and then I slept.

“Getting all that sleep was the most important thing. I still felt a bit tired, but I was OK.

“When I got to the hotel in Sydney the team had a loosening up session, a stretch and a walk, at about 10am. I did that and then I went to sleep again for an hour or so.

“Then I got a massage, had lunch, had another three-hour sleep, and when I woke up it was the pre-match meal.”

The midfielder’s possible inclusion had been flagged last week, but it wasn’t until a meeting with coach John van’t Schip on Saturday morning that the game plan was confirmed.

“Once I got to Dubai I got a few messages to see how I was going,” he said.

“And then when I landed I just got a few messages saying to come and meet John and have a chat.

“At that point I felt pretty good. At about 10am I hit a brick wall, but I felt better and better as the day went on.”

As soon as he came on to the field Mooy said he felt good, but by game’s end he was battling.

“To be fair my legs weren’t that heavy, I don’t know why, but my brain was a bit fatigued.

“It would have been too much to start. Even coming on for that half an hour, I felt all right at the start, but after a few bursts I really felt like I’d played that other game.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/sleep-the-secret-for-melbourne-citys-aaron-mooy/story-e6frf4gl-1227565335770

Did the Socceroos pay for the 1st class or did Melbourne City? Socceroos get business class. 

If Melbourne City coughed it up, that's a clear sign of ambition and using their all mighty resources outside of the salary cap.

it was Mooy's first time at he pointy end of the plan

I'd say that Melbourne ( Manchester) City paid for first class