Melbourne Football

Matchday 15: v Newcastle Jets, 7:30 AAMI Park

LR9

Gutted I couldnt make this one. Looked like a memorable evening. Was great to see us play with some guts for the first time in ages and of course I can now brag to everyone that we are NOT the single worst team in A League history.

I would say that the result was a mixture of us playing better than usual and Newcastle playing worse than usual, but happy to take 3 points which ever way they come right now. Some not very nice football played by us for large patches but nice to see improvements none the less.

Cops looked quite relaxed, almost bored until the very end when they stood in front of active.

Someone told them about pitch invasion plans

It was a throwaway line on one forum post. If Vicpol are reading this - don't believe everything you read here (including this)! I was standing next to a cop when he was approached by a member of the security staff. He said "there is a potential of a pitch invasion". The cop looked as if he couldn't give a toss so I thought I'd add some spice and say "that was meant to be a secret" Edited by Tony999
  • Like 1

Positives from tonight:

we won I think, perhaps I;m more heat affected than I thought

we even scored some goals

90 minutes of effort for the first time I can remember

we look more fluent in attacking transition and we even pressed in midfield in defensive transition instead of retreating to our box and allowing the opponents to dictate the game.

we won BOTH HALVES of the game, hasn't happened since JVS left I think

Engelaar looks as unstoppable as the Terminator, not very fast but like Sibon he reads the game very well and positions himself very cleverly. His passing forward was a delight and his defensive work was solid. The team lifted when he came on.

good subs from JVS and well set up tactically.

Engelaar's broken leg in hindsight has been a real positive, it quarantined him from the Aloisi/Foxe coaching devolution and he remains a real footballer.

Negatives:

our play was dire at times, particularly in the first half

our defending was very poor and Jets goal looked inevitable

our movement off the ball is terrible limiting our passing options going forward

the Hoff is NOT a RB solution for us despite his efforts

Redmayne's distribution is terrible, all skill has been coached out of him.

small rump crowd of rusted on supporters, more than the current owners deserve.

our movement off the ball is terrible limiting our passing options going forward

this of all is my biggest concern, we can't play out from the back due to either, midfield player not presenting themselves. or the back 4 not taking the option of playing it out

We still resorted to ( in the first half mainly) the CB's playing square balls then back to redders to pump it forward

I cried out in disbelief when he actually threw a ball out in the 2nd half to release one of the fullbacks

Edited by japiedog

When Engelaar came on our ability to play out from the back improved immensely. You could see the class of the man that before he'd received the ball he knew where it was going next instead of our usual dribble towards goal and pass it back to Redders. Was always calm and composed and never looked like over-playing or losing possession.

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing what has happened under our new Manager?

Mate Dugandzic looks like a very good player again.

Aziz Behich starts looking like the player who was being talked about as a Socceroo, making some great runs and an inch perfect cross to Mate Dugandzic who headed a goal.

Mifsud, who started every game under Aloisi is on the bench.

Mind you, it would have been very depressing losing to Newcastle.

Their squad has been decimated. For example, Nathan Burns loan spell has ended. And FFA has stuffed them up big time, taking 4 starting 11 players including Adam Taggart, who destroyed us last time, to a meaningless under age tournament  that is not a final and qualifies for nothing!

Wow - not only did we win but we finally played like a team that believed in themselves. In answer to Lucy on Thursday FC last week when she commented that JA wasn't at fault coz "coaches don't score the goals". Well, yes they do because good players don't make a good team, it's the coach (and the club and supporters) that makes them into a good team. Great night and well done to Yarraside. Loved the enthusiasm, noise and emotion. Hope I didn't see a issue with security at one stage, we need to control this so we don't get labelled like the tards.

Lucy Zelic like most of the football media are Aloisi apologists. They were keen to back him for as long as it took for him to learn his craft and become a good coach. I'd love to see how much patience she had if Aloisi was appointed coach of WSW.

• Like 1

Wow - not only did we win but we finally played like a team that believed in themselves. In answer to Lucy on Thursday FC last week when she commented that JA wasn't at fault coz "coaches don't score the goals". Well, yes they do because good players don't make a good team, it's the coach (and the club and supporters) that makes them into a good team. Great night and well done to Yarraside. Loved the enthusiasm, noise and emotion. Hope I didn't see a issue with security at one stage, we need to control this so we don't get labelled like the tards.

Lucy Zelic like most of the football media are Aloisi apologists. They were keen to back him for as long as it took for him to learn his craft and become a good coach. I'd love to see how much patience she had if Aloisi was appointed coach of WSW.

Exactly, alot of the commentators and analysts were pro Aloisi because he wasn't destroying their club

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing what has happened under our new Manager?

Mate Dugandzic looks like a very good player again.

Aziz Behich starts looking like the player who was being talked about as a Socceroo, making some great runs and an inch perfect cross to Mate Dugandzic who headed a goal.

Mifsud, who started every game under Aloisi is on the bench.

Mind you, it would have been very depressing losing to Newcastle.

Their squad has been decimated. For example, Nathan Burns loan spell has ended. And FFA has stuffed them up big time, taking 4 starting 11 players including Adam Taggart, who destroyed us last time, to a meaningless under age tournament  that is not a final and qualifies for nothing!

They still had a decent squad to choose from, Brown, Bridges & Ward on Bench 

When Engelaar came on our ability to play out from the back improved immensely. You could see the class of the man that before he'd received the ball he knew where it was going next instead of our usual dribble towards goal and pass it back to Redders. Was always calm and composed and never looked like over-playing or losing possession.

Englelaar can just stand on the pitch and not touch the ball and he will be all class.

Englelaar can just stand on the pitch and not touch the ball and he will be all class.

I don't think he even ran all game, but he doesn't has to cos he knows exactly where he needs to be. Really excited for the rest of the season with him and Harry in the middle.

Also we scored a headed goal LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Her and most of the SBS crew think we were playing a possession based game under JA. Even Fozz went out of his way to not mention the style we where playing.

Positives from tonight:

we look more fluent in attacking transition and we even pressed in midfield in defensive transition instead of retreating to our box and allowing the opponents to dictate the game.

Engelaar looks as unstoppable as the Terminator, not very fast but like Sibon he reads the game very well and positions himself very cleverly. His passing forward was a delight and his defensive work was solid. The team lifted when he came on.

Engelaar's broken leg in hindsight has been a real positive, it quarantined him from the Aloisi/Foxe coaching devolution and he remains a real footballer.

Negatives:

Agree with most of this Bela.

We shouldn't get carried away with what I would regard as a standard home win against a pedestrian Newcastle side who didn't have a lot to offer and were reluctant to pull the trigger on numerous occasions. It's the sort of win we should have at home all the time against most of the A-League clubs.

Our boys need to understand that the effort, determination, intensity - whatever you want to call it - that they showed last night is what is required every week.

We still have:

- a goalkeeper who commits at least two bloopers every match;

- a defence that goes to sleep on at least one occasion every match;

- a static midfield for periods of 5-10 minutes at a time, leaving the two CBs to pass the ball to each other for long enough that they get into trouble and turn the ball over;

- Williams, who has a rush of blood to the head every time the ball goes near him, and Kalmar, who insists on trying to beat at least four men every time he gets the ball and consequently loses it.

What we had last night that was different was a functioning forward line. And I'll say at this point that I'm heartily sick of all the Mifsud hate on here. No, he hasn't scored the bagful of goals that most people seemed to expect he would, but yes, he was an integral part of a good forward line last night that gave us the result that we needed, and yes, he always gives 100% on the field.

The difference for me was that both Ramsay and Dugandzic lifted themselves at least five notches above what we've seen so far this season. IMO both had great games. Both Mate's goals were real classics - I've seen more spectacular goals but these were both beautifully worked and executed. Ramsay's was a deflection, but fully deserved because he was prepared to try anything last night. Kewell also had a good game, and Garuccio put in a nice little cameo - I thought maybe JvS waited a little too long before bringing him on.

One more negative for me - too much chatting the referee especially from Dugandzic and Hoffman. Leave that to Captain Harry - that's part of his job.

Good crowd considering the circumstances. And full marks to Yarraside.

• Like 3

@jw:  The Mifsud hate is now justified.

As a striker you will not get a million opportunities.  Yet he has.  Look at his awfully over-hit pass to Kewell which was a genuine goal-scoring opportunity.  The cross the 6 yard box tap in from Kewell- hell ANY contact would have result in a goal.  His stupidity not to stay on-side when Duga had his shot blocked, one of over 30 offsides this season.

Simply not good enough.

We screwed Tadic, and IMO Terra, but Mifsud is simply not up to it.

• Like 3

As a striker you will not get a million opportunities.  Yet he has.  Look at his awfully over-hit pass to Kewell which was a genuine goal-scoring opportunity.  The cross the 6 yard box tap in from Kewell- hell ANY contact would have result in a goal.  His stupidity not to stay on-side when Duga had his shot blocked, one of over 30 offsides this season.

Simply not good enough.

OK, simply not good enough. That may be so.

Doesn't justify some of the vindictive comments being made about one of our players.

Simply not good enough.

OK, simply not good enough. That may be so.

Doesn't justify some of the vindictive comments being made about one of our players.

ok maybe some comments made have been harsh, BUT Mifdud has stated ( earlier in this thread, from a press interview) the he has not missed sitters etc, and Chrikey how many more times is he going to be offside,

• Like 1

Positives from tonight:

Negatives:

Agree with most of this Bela.

We shouldn't get carried away with what I would regard as a standard home win against a pedestrian Newcastle side who didn't have a lot to offer and were reluctant to pull the trigger on numerous occasions. It's the sort of win we should have at home all the time against most of the A-League clubs.

Our boys need to understand that the effort, determination, intensity - whatever you want to call it - that they showed last night is what is required every week.

We still have:

- a goalkeeper who commits at least two bloopers every match;

- a defence that goes to sleep on at least one occasion every match;

- a static midfield for periods of 5-10 minutes at a time, leaving the two CBs to pass the ball to each other for long enough that they get into trouble and turn the ball over;

- Williams, who has a rush of blood to the head every time the ball goes near him, and Kalmar, who insists on trying to beat at least four men every time he gets the ball and consequently loses it.

What we had last night that was different was a functioning forward line. And I'll say at this point that I'm heartily sick of all the Mifsud hate on here. No, he hasn't scored the bagful of goals that most people seemed to expect he would, but yes, he was an integral part of a good forward line last night that gave us the result that we needed, and yes, he always gives 100% on the field.

The difference for me was that both Ramsay and Dugandzic lifted themselves at least five notches above what we've seen so far this season. IMO both had great games. Both Mate's goals were real classics - I've seen more spectacular goals but these were both beautifully worked and executed. Ramsay's was a deflection, but fully deserved because he was prepared to try anything last night. Kewell also had a good game, and Garuccio put in a nice little cameo - I thought maybe JvS waited a little too long before bringing him on.

One more negative for me - too much chatting the referee especially from Dugandzic and Hoffman. Leave that to Captain Harry - that's part of his job.

Good crowd considering the circumstances. And full marks to Yarraside.

I think our midfield has been been moving off the ball since JVS took charge. Not to the level I would like and certainly not for the whole game. We do play the ball through the midfield now which is a big win, except when we sit too deep and park the bus, something we still do far too early and too often. Small steps though :).

• Like 1

Great to finally get that win. Hope it instills some belief in the players. As far as I'm concerned, it's never been a question of talent in the squad.

But, I hope they got all of the celbrations out of their system last night and they were right back on the job today. They simply can't afford to come back from Adelaide empty handed.

The same 3 or 4 blokes who called security on us at the derby because we were supposedly standing in their seats were having a go at the kids in front of them waving the flags last night. Didn't get a favourable response from them when I provided some alternative locations to go.

• Like 1

The same 3 or 4 blokes who called security on us at the derby because we were supposedly standing in their seats were having a go at the kids in front of them waving the flags last night. Didn't get a favourable response from them when I provided some alternative locations to go.

Ah yes! I was sitting a few seats to your right! Those bastards were whinging all night calling Joffa a peddo during the half time kickaround (continuously whinging that he was out there, as if that's your fucking problem you pack of wankers, absolutely disgraceful to say shit like that about him too). Constantly trying to outsing the Yarraside Corre at every opportunity and whinging about anything and everything they could, including the flags. They've stood behind me at another game, the Derby I think, and they were the same there, fucking irritating.

I was going to pipe up and say something too but I decided it was probably worth just enjoying the fact that we were winning without getting into a verbal with a few tossers. Besides, I've only seen them there twice so they clearly aren't even regulars.

Kudos for letting them know though

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

Haha nah yeah that was the same bunch, there was one of them who was trying to outsing the Y/Side blokes (the redhead in the polo) and managed to get some people in his immediate vicinity to do the same, the others didn't do shit though. Was the same story against the Tards.

I was two or three seats to the right of you, wearing a black singlet.

Who ever had the Mighty Mass flag, keep up the good work mate, don't worry about the wankers! :)

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1