Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

It all certainly sounds like a better situation leading into the season then 2 years ago, when under Aloisi just before the 2012-13 season kicked off, we lost 5-0 to Perth Glory in Melbourne in our final pre-season game before the season started.

I remember that game, I still have nightmares about it. It presaged what was to come.

All I remember is Gerhardt knocking long balls over the midfield. I've blanked out the rest of it.

It all certainly sounds like a better situation leading into the season then 2 years ago, when under Aloisi just before the 2012-13 season kicked off, we lost 5-0 to Perth Glory in Melbourne in our final pre-season game before the season started.

I remember that game, I still have nightmares about it. It presaged what was to come. All I remember is Gerhardt knocking long balls over the midfield. I've blanked out the rest of it.

I've used that exact sentence to describe most of Aloisi's reign.

• Like 4

I'm not a big fan of SoccerStoppageTime, but they are sometimes right, and they just posted this:

Stealth will also be revealing [tonight] interesting transfer targets of one Melbourne based Club and possible goalkeeping replacements at another A - League Club.

https://www.facebook.com/SoccerStoppageTime?fref=nf

I'm inclined to think the Melbourne based club referred to is Melbourne City, as that other team have used up their 5 Visa spots, and only have 2 senior squad spots left, and I'd guess they have little cap space left. Whereas Melbourne City have 1 Visa spot free, and have 3 senior squad spots left, and if only because the club has that extra spot free I'd guess the club has a little more money left inside the salary cap.

Anyway, I guess all will be revealed tonight. If Melbourne City could snare another defensive signing though (say, at LB), then they'd get a very high recruitment grade from me.  

Nazirul Naim Che Hashim from Malasia U23 and were trying to get Perth Glory to release Jack Clisby

Good to hear that they are desperate to sign a left back

Surely we're not that desperate? One's only 1.67m tall and would take a visa place, and the other is nothing special.

Of course we don't know the details, but prima facie it looks as though Tom King must have missed out.

• Like 1

Looks like Ross Archibald has been officially signed to the senior team, as Kisnorbo said on SEN earlier today: “we signed Ross Archibald from the youth team” (https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/patrick-kisnorbo-on-harf-time#t=4:40). I guess Archibald could take up the 3rd and final youth-senior contract, that the likes of Davutovic reported 2-3 months ago that he would be signed to.

Don't know the story with Tom King. He keeps uploading pics of himself in Melbourne City gear onto his Twitter account, so it seems that he's still in the frame. If I had to guess, I think he might be inline to get a NYL contract. He did only turn 20 a few weeks ago after all. Maybe he could get one of the types of contracts that Mauk & Garuccio did, where he's signed for 2 years with the first in the NYL team and the second year in the senior team. Right now who knows, but I'm still pretty sure that he'll be apart of the club next selection and will be available for selection in the senior team.

Great interview between Simon Hill and JvS

SIMON HILL: The takeover by Manchester City has – in effect – created a new club, would you agree with that statement?

JOHN VAN ‘T SCHIP: It’s not really a new club – the fundamentals are the same. All the people that started the club are still there. Some others are new, but I don’t really think you can talk about a totally new club, and I don’t think that was the intention of the City Football Group. But of course it’s a project for the longer term; they want to become a real powerhouse in Australia. That’s what they did in England, and now they hope to do the same here.

What tangible benefits have the new owners brought?

The facilities are getting better of course – the small things are being taken care of very well. It sounds strange, but every day we have a good lunch after the training sessions, we have no complaints about training gear, we have good goals on the pitch, and the pitches are good. Before, we had to wait for such things to be arranged. Those are the visual things – the other things are the resources that we can tap into at City in England, with their training methods, with the way they treat injuries.

We now have new ways of looking at how football is evolving – we have access to all of that. We can just pick up the phone or have conference calls so we can learn from them, and them from us. We help each other. I have weekly contact with (Manchester City Football Administration Officer) Brian Marwood, and that will intensify in the coming weeks. We spent three weeks there in July, so we know who we are talking to and with. Brian, plus the sports scientist will be here before the end of the year. We also have contact with New York City of course, because of David Villa – so it’s a great thing to be a part of.

Is there a concern that the club is now just an “offshoot” of the main club in Manchester?

Not at all. There are four different clubs (including Yokohama F Marinos), and they all have their own ambitions and their own difficulties – but it’s a project that all together fits into the City Football Group. They all have different budgets too, but we have to perform. We want to become the best club in Australia – it wont happen in the first year, but that is the plan.

What’s been the response from the fans to all the changes - are you confident they have all come on board?

Most people are standing behind the club. Of course some will have issues with it, we lost a few supporters, but we gained some others. Most have stayed, and we have a very trusting group of fans who stayed with us in the past years. Looking forward, results will be the most important thing to help us grow further.

There’s a lot of excitement surrounding the arrival of David Villa – as a coach, how much are you looking forward to working with a player like him?

Well it’s fantastic – David has shown that he is a winner, a player that also gives something extra in his way of playing, he is something special. It’s exciting for everybody to see him coming to Australia. I had the privilege to work for four years with the Dutch national team, so I have worked with special players before – and we are getting that way here with Damien (Duff) and Robert (Koren) too, It helps the other boys with their training levels. With David we hope to add even more.

You’ve acquired a whole host of other players aside of David Villa. As you mentioned, Damien Duff and Robert Koren are the two other big-name foreigners - how have they adapted to life in Australia so far?

The good thing is that they have spent most of pre-season with us – we have been able to show them Ballarat, Bendigo, Alice Springs; so they have seen different areas and different pitches, and of course, the pitches will only get better. So its perfect for them to adapt – I haven’t heard one complaint yet, they are enjoying every moment. They know it’s different here, and they know there’s a lot to be done to catch up to the other codes. They came because they want to show their talent, and even though they are older, they are still very ambitious. They are looking forward to the start of the season, because they never experienced a pre-season quite like this – they are like young boys, buzzing.

Of the local acquisitions, Erik Paartalu is probably the one that catches the eye most– how will he fit into the system you are trying to play?

That’s why we got Erik in – we know his qualities, and how he plays in his role. The way he played at Brisbane will be his role here too. We are happy he came before the league starts, because he is a bit behind in his conditioning, but he’ll be fine for the first game. He’s a massive addition to our squad, not just for his football, but for his talking and communication in our team. We needed that.

How has the A-League changed since you were first here?

Not hugely, and it had started to change already with a different playing style – more possession, keeping the ball on the ground instead of hitting the channels. Ange (Postecoglou) was doing a great job at Brisbane, and you can see more teams doing the same now. Adelaide is a good example, Melbourne Victory; so there are a lot of teams who now play the more continental style. That’s the big change. Also, if you look at the World Cup, many players in the Socceroos squad grew up as A-League players – that’s a big compliment.

Do you feel you have a fair bit to prove as a coach second time around at the club?

Yes for sure. We are all ambitious – we all want to make this club grow, and that goes for me personally too. As a pro footballer I was always ambitious to play for the top teams and win silverware. But as a coach it’s different, because you have to analyse your team, and see what you can achieve. However, where we are now, we have to aim for the higher positions.

The City Football Group are promising to build an Academy for the club – is that a vital part of the next phase for Melbourne City?

I’ve always been involved in the youth academies, at Ajax and also at Chivas. At this moment, it’s just the first team and the youth team. The Academy is for the future – but Brian Marwood will come in October, and we will talk about how we can set up our own academy, and build the club up in size.

Some bookies are making you favourites for the title – is that premature?

I think it’s a bit premature – you also have to look at the past, and the past says we finished 9th and 10th, in the last two years, so there is a lot of work to do to improve. We are doing that – we are starting to build, and raise the standards up. There are a few more stable teams in their way of performing than ours, and of course, we are coming from a big change off the field. That can go well, or it can take time. We hope for quick of course, but it depends on how we gel.

Who do you see as title challengers?

Brisbane is always there – Adelaide is a very good football team, and they have had a year to settle. Sydney FC with Graham Arnold is very strong – Melbourne Victory too. Those are the teams we have to compete with.

Your take on the general state of the game in Australia – what improvements would you like to see?

A longer season – that’s the big one. A season of nine months, plus all the clubs having their own academies. Our youth teams also need to play in the state leagues – that is very important for the development of the game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/exclusive-chat-melbourne-city-coach-john-van-t-schip-talks-to-fox-sports-simon-hill/story-e6frf4gl-1227076496284

Edited by hakz7
  • Like 4

SIMON HILL: The takeover by Manchester City has – in effect – created a new club, would you agree with that statement?

JOHN VAN ‘T SCHIP: It’s not really a new club – the fundamentals are the same. All the people that started the club are still there. Some others are new, but I don’t really think you can talk about a totally new club, and I don’t think that was the intention of the City Football Group. But of course it’s a project for the longer term; they want to become a real powerhouse in Australia. That’s what they did in England, and now they hope to do the same here.

Who do you see as title challengers?

Brisbane is always there – Adelaide is a very good football team, and they have had a year to settle. Sydney FC with Graham Arnold is very strong – Melbourne Victory too. Those are the teams we have to compete with.

Your take on the general state of the game in Australia – what improvements would you like to see?

A longer season – that’s the big one. A season of nine months, plus all the clubs having their own academies. Our youth teams also need to play in the state leagues – that is very important for the development of the game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/exclusive-chat-melbourne-city-coach-john-van-t-schip-talks-to-fox-sports-simon-hill/story-e6frf4gl-1227076496284

This, This and This! I like what he's saying...

The City Football Group are promising to build an Academy for the club – is that a vital part of the next phase for Melbourne City?

I’ve always been involved in the youth academies, at Ajax and also at Chivas. At this moment, it’s just the first team and the youth team. The Academy is for the future – but Brian Marwood will come in October, and we will talk about how we can set up our own academy, and build the club up in size.

These two for me

Every is saying we need a LB and RB well Adam D'Apuzzo is a free agent would be a decent pick up imo

I'd take him over anyone we have that will be playing LB this season.

I think he announced his retirement. He decided to go into business i think. Probably not going to happen!!

That's crazy talk, I'm in business and id rather play football.

No extra pressure on Melbourne City: coach

October 2, 2014

Melbourne City coach John van `t Schip says he feels no extra pressure to succeed this season despite the hype surrounding the revamped A-League outfit.

In the last six months, the club has changed their name, logo and playing strip following January's takeover by English Premier League giants Manchester City.

They have also added some big names to their squad, including Irish international Damien Duff, Robbie Koren and Spain's all-time leading goalscorer David Villa on a loan deal.

City, formerly the Heart, were last season's wooden spooners but are now equal-favourites to win the 2014-2015 title, according to the country's leading bookmakers.

"That's outrageous," van `t Schip said on Thursday.

"Just look at our team - it's a good team, but there's still a lot to improve.

"There are a lot of other teams that I think are still ahead of us in some areas, and we have to work to get there as soon as possible."

Asked whether the off-season transformation had brought with it some extra pressure, the former Dutch player and assistant coach said: "I don't feel that it's going to be more.

"The pressure that you have is always there.

"I had it with the youth teams at Ajax, I had it with the Dutch national team, and in Mexico and here.

"It's part of the job.

"It's also something that you need to perform as a coach and player.

"The most important thing is that you manage the pressure in the right way and it helps you to actually perform better.

"(We) know that we're looked at differently. On the other hand, we should not be thinking (that) because it's only a change of name and change of colours."

World Cup-winning striker Villa is due to arrive in Australia on Tuesday and will be available for selection for City's season-opener against Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium.

Van `t Schip said he will wait until he meets and assesses the 32-year-old before decided when and how to play him.

Villa isn't his only concern, though, with Ben Garuccio and Jonathan Germano injured, Conor Chapman still recovering from glandular fever, and Jason Hoffman suspended.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25172062/no-extra-pressure-on-melbourne-city-coach/

Edited by Murfy1

A-League Season Preview - Melbourne City

By Michael Huguenin

29/09/2014 1

Will a new name, new colours and a raft of new players - including David Villa and marquee Robi Koren - bring new fortunes to Melbourne's younger A-League club?

The potential progress of the club formerly known as Melbourne Heart could be the story of the 2014-15 A-League season.

Melbourne City have already surpassed Heart's best membership tally - at the time of writing they have over 8,000 - and with David Villa, Robi Koren and Damien Duff on their books, John van 't Schip's side looks very promising.

But in a concern for the rebranded club, they are coming off a last-placed finish last season, failing to earn a win until round 15, while they have only won one of five fixtures against A-League opposition in pre-season.

THE BURNING QUESTIONS

How will Villa settle in?

Less than two weeks out from round one, the former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker still hasn't arrived in Australia. It seems doubtful Villa will be ready for City's opening game at Sydney FC - if for no other reason than he has little time to gel with his new team-mates - and if the 32-year-old doesn't settle it could severely hamper Van 't Schip's title aspirations.

Can City grab Melbourne's attention?

In red and white stripes, this club never challenged Melbourne Victory off the pitch but with big stars and a growing membership base, City could be ready for a big season in white and sky blue.

LESSONS LEARNT FROM LAST SEASON

Under John Aloisi, Heart based their 2013-14 squad around Orlando Engelaar Michael Mifsud and Harry Kewell. Engelaar broke his leg, Mifsud failed and Kewell struggled with injuries but this season Van 't Schip looks to have more depth with City.

ROAD AHEAD

Having already been eliminated from the FFA Cup, City will be able to completely focus on the A-League throughout the campaign. A tough start will see City travel to Sydney and Brisbane in the first five rounds, as well as taking on Victory and Adelaide United, but the biggest challenge could be how they handle the departure of Villa midway through the campaign when he returns to New York City.

EXPECTED STRENGTHS

Van 't Schip looks to have assembled one of the more impressive midfield groups in Australia with Paartalu, Mooy, Koren and Duff providing plenty of quality, while Villa could arguably be the best player the A-League has seen.

POTENTIAL WEAKNESS

After six seasons each involved in the A-League, neither Andrew Redmayne nor Tando Velaphi have convinced as a top-line goalkeeper.

TACTICAL APPROACH

City look set to play 4-3-3, maintaining Van 't Schip's pro-active approach with attacking full-backs and a fluid midfield that has defined the club's short history. But fans will be hoping that the recruitment of the likes of Villa, Koren, Duff and Mooy ensures there is more cutting edge in the final third than in previous seasons.

BREAKOUT STAR

While Mooy was a regular performer at Western Sydney Wanderers, the versatile midfielder missed out on some opportunities due to Tony Popovic's rotation policy. Don't be surprised if Mooy goes to another level in Melbourne, as the former St Mirren man looks to be central to Van 't Schip's plans.

NIGHTMARE HEADLINE

"Villa abandons City after disastrous first month"

FAN'S SAY

At least a top 6 finish, recruited well, Koren and Mooy are exciting. Although defensively we'll be caught out I think.

DID YOU KNOW?

Melbourne City midfielder Erik Paartalu was approached to represent Estonia - the land of his paternal grandparents - as an 18-year-old.

GOAL AUSTRALIA'S EXPERT PREDICTION - Dejan Kalinic

Any team boasting the attack Van 't Schip has at his disposal should be feared in the A-League.

But City's defence still appears vulnerable – particularly out wide – and the problematic goalkeeping position could be debated all season long.

The squad appears good enough to at least make the finals but their defence means they are likely to fall short in the championship race.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/09/29/5141297/a-league-season-preview-melbourne-city?ICID=HP_FA_11

Surely JVS has a strategy beyond simply feeding Villa the ball and him scoring at every opportunity? Weaknesses in the defence and in goal is exactly what's been discussed here for months. We should be able to score but will we be able to keep them out at the other end? Only a few more sleeps before we find out.