Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

After hearing of the 50 odd spectators that watched the training session the other day I decided to call the club up and see if training is open. They tell me training is closed and have no explanation for why there was anyone there watching the training session. Is the club just trying to avoid anyone going down there without taking any serious measures to stop people?

After hearing of the 50 odd spectators that watched the training session the other day I decided to call the club up and see if training is open. They tell me training is closed and have no explanation for why there was anyone there watching the training session. Is the club just trying to avoid anyone going down there without taking any serious measures to stop people?

Id say so, how are they gonna stop people watching training, fence the joint off?

Is the club just trying to avoid anyone going down there without taking any serious measures to stop people?

Probably. That's pretty much how it is in Manchester. They were having terrible problems with journalists attending the sessions in the hope of any picture which they could spin into a dressing room disharmony story, so they put up a 10-foot fence. The journalists responded by just turning up with step-ladders each day, and the club was powerless to do any more to keep them out. Small wonder they are planting 50-foot high trees around the edge of the new training base in Manchester...

I believe all training sessions should be closed off to public viewing. Then every fortnight or once a month have a special training for all fans invited. The club can upload video content of training sessions that should tie supporters over. I think that is the professional way to go about it.

Agree x 10000

We should let them do their job and let us fans and/or members have invited to their training sessions every now and again. The very least, we can stop our opponents spying on us.

Edited by raw10

I believe all training sessions should be closed off to public viewing. Then every fortnight or once a month have a special training for all fans invited. The club can upload video content of training sessions that should tie supporters over. I think that is the professional way to go about it.

It is the way to go, but with the way the training pitches are set up it would be a bit hard to stop ppl watching.

I think its great us fans can get access to the ground and its bloody hard for the club to stop it.  

I would be nice though if people who happen to witness something controversial didn't post it.  Like the example one of the guys gave when he saw a fall out between Tadic and "He Who Must Not Be Named" but kept it to himself until after Tadic had left.

The CFG is first class in everything they do.. They have surprised me so many times thus far.... Us supporters are so focused and interested in the players and the season ahead and we are not seeing what's going on behind the sense ... Something big is in the works...!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

So all the cfg heavies were spotted at the game last night and I think its to do with the building of the new base/academy.

I saw an article around that Marwood would be over hear to work on an academy and then when listening to ABC pre game Davutovic said they are about to start construction. Apparently the location is still at Latrobe but in a different area of the campus to where the team is based now.

My guess would be on the other side closer to plenty road where the graduate college is as its close to the Latrobe pool and hospital. 

• 1 month later...

Melbourne City will move into its new multi-million dollar training facility next month

MATT WINDLEY EXCLUSIVE

December 26, 2014

MELBOURNE City will launch its assault on the top six on the back of a two-week training camp and practice games in Abu Dhabi next month.

And soon after returning to Melbourne for the second half of the season the Manchester City-owned club will move in to its new multi-million dollar training facility.

To coincide with the A-League break during the Asian Cup, City will embark upon a 12-day camp at the New York University in Abu Dhabi.

A match against United Arab Emirates giant Al-Jazira has been organised for January 11, while a second friendly, possibly against a German Bundesliga club, will take place on January 18.

City plays Central Coast Mariners in Gosford on January 4 and will then fly to Abu Dhabi on January 8.

The team is set to return on January 21 ahead of its A-League resumption on February 1 against Western Sydney Wanderers at AAMI Park.

During the trip, Melbourne City players will have the opportunity to rub shoulders with their Manchester City brothers as the English Premier League champions will be in Abu Dhabi on a short mid-season stopover. Manchester City has a break between its league games against Arsenal on January 18 and Chelsea on January 31, so has lined up a training camp and friendly of its own.

The City Football Group gathering will also enable Melbourne City coach John van't Schip to get together with Manchester City counterpart Manuel Pellegrini to workshop ideas.

The non-selection of Aaron Mooy and new Australian marquee player Josh Kennedy in the Socceroos Asian Cup squad means van't Schip will have his whole squad at his disposal in the Middle East.

Kennedy is set to make his City debut against the Wanderers in Round 15. By that stage City could be nestled in its new training facility at a yet-to-be-unveiled location.

Then-known Melbourne Heart established itself at La Trobe University in Bundoora in 2010 and that is where it continues to base itself. The club invested in new training pitches there during the off-season.

“We've gone about it in exactly the same way as we did the City Football Academy in Manchester. We've thought about it long and hard,” Melbourne City vice-chairman Simon Pearce said.

“It's built on the same model as Manchester. It's a much smaller site, obviously, but because we invested so much time and effort in Manchester in developing the actual model for what an ideal training campus should look like, it is that in miniature without losing anything in scale.

“Our City Football Group team has been quietly developing the new Academy building, first-team facility and executive offices, and the whole Melbourne City organisation will move there shortly after the tour.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-will-move-into-its-new-multi-million-dollar-training-facility-next-month/story-e6frf4ju-1227166659860

Merry Christmas

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

“Our City Football Group team has been quietly developing the new Academy building, first-team facility and executive offices, and the whole Melbourne City organisation will move there shortly after the tour.”

"Quietly"? I'd say silently. How on earth have they managed to keep this under wraps?

So where is it? Latrobe or somewhere else?

This is going to be like a massive treasure hunt over the next few weeks as we scour the potential sites in Melbourne!

From the La Trobe website:

Under the agreement, Melbourne City's 30 administrative staff occupy office space in the University's Technology Enterprise Centre (TEC), located near the Research and Development Park, whilst their coaches and players have access to the University's playing fields, gym and swimming pool.

If what city executives say is anything to go by this will be a small infrastructure built to support the current size of the staff currently at City HQ which apparently sits at 30 admin staff as quoted above. From speaking to City officials what I gathered was the club must earn the right to have bigger and better fascilities. So I think this is a short term plan to get the club into its own place (perhaps 5-10 years???), start functioning professionally, similar to Manchester but on a smaller scale, and to start earning its stripes both on and off the pitch. Once the club has grown considerably regarding membership, titles, school of football etc. I think they will build something bigger and better for the long term. Exciting stuff though!

So they have managed to be building a massive facility with not one person leaking it or seeing it being built. This is unheard of.

Well let's see what they've built in secret. If it is a decent facility then I will be impressed. Sidwell era I'd expect this story to equate to throwing some grass seeds on a paddock and bunging a few atcos down as the offices.
  • Like 1

I actually think i know where it might be. I think its located near the graduate accommodation building and behind the new residential development across from bundoora park. I remember davutovic saying in an article before the first derby they will be relocated to the northern part of the campus which is where the grad house is.

I still dont think a 'multi million dollar' base could be built in such a short space of time and perhaps only the offices part is complete.

I hope we get a retail shop for merch similar to the visitors and storms one at aami, which may be the case since we are all of a sudden expecting a new line (which is most likely and finally the nike range) of merch and the home kit will become avaliable as well.