Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

That's funny, the herald sun being pro-anything football is the biggest lie. You cannot possibly believe they have a soft spot for the heart. They hate the game itself.

It's not a conspiracy or anything like that and it's not that 'everyone's' out to get heart. But there are a lot of victory supporters out there, and I'm sure many media personalities who favour them. Just within the circle of people I come in contact with there probably 20-30 that don't even follow the aleague at all but still say they support victory which is enough for them to be favoured. Same with the media, a lot wouldn't really be diehard fans but would favour certain teams, most likely victory. Then there would be media personalities that are close supporters to the victory, and don't like the heart. You said it yourself, for whatever reason you beleive davutovic is a closet heart supporter. I'm sure for every one of him there are 10 closet victory supporters in the media.

I know what your saying, I don't think every media personality is anti heart, I never said that, but nothing that ends up in what you read in the newspaper is without design and purpose. They could very easily take their pick from all the logos create on here with red in them. Once you realise this important fact then you start to ask questions as to why, what's their purpose or angle for putting blue logos instead of red like heart supporters really want, what response are they trying to trigger.

Edited by n i k o

Here is one issue the CFG needs to take the lead in fixing if it wants to deliver on it stated goals and to start establishing the Heart across the junior clubs in Victoria.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/179273283740/Shootout

Also with the added hilarity of a editor stuffing what he put on the web.

Edited by Rellum

That's funny, the herald sun being pro-anything football is the biggest lie. You cannot possibly believe they have a soft spot for the heart. They hate the game itself.

It's not a conspiracy or anything like that and it's not that 'everyone's' out to get heart. But there are a lot of victory supporters out there, and I'm sure many media personalities who favour them. Just within the circle of people I come in contact with there probably 20-30 that don't even follow the aleague at all but still say they support victory which is enough for them to be favoured. Same with the media, a lot wouldn't really be diehard fans but would favour certain teams, most likely victory. Then there would be media personalities that are close supporters to the victory, and don't like the heart. You said it yourself, for whatever reason you beleive davutovic is a closet heart supporter. I'm sure for every one of him there are 10 closet victory supporters in the media.

Experienced this first hand. At least our supporters are legitimate and not band wagoners  :up:  

Interesting little developing with the planned rollout of the the NYCFC logo. Apparently the designs have been too close to the Yankee logo/designs (so they are not trying to make the club appear a lot like Man City, it seems):

Yankees Trademark Concerns Delay NYCFC Logo Launch

Dave Martinez 

March 4, 2014

New York City F.C. were set to reveal two crests on Monday for fan voting.

Instead, the soon-to-be 20th MLS franchise stood conspicuously quiet.

As it turns out, plans for their badge reveal hit an unexpected snag. EOS has learned that some in-house legal trouble has delayed the team’s long-awaited campaign. Of the two badges set to be presented to the general public, one failed to get final approval from the Yankee side of the NYCFC ownership due to “infringement of the baseball team’s intellectual property.”

The badges have been designed by two separate sources; one, an outside designer, and the second, an in-house team. Interestingly enough, it was the in-house design that sent up red flags at Yankee legal. Sources tell us the badge in question fell too close to the trademark design of the Yankee’s image, but would not give further detail as to the design flaw itself. The other badge, described as a more “classic” offering, has passed the initial consent of both owners.

A quick search through the U.S. trademark database reveals two possible infringements. The first could be the iconic intertwined NY logo of the team itself, but the second, and perhaps more probable, is the Yankee script font. Of course, there could be other issues that would be looked upon as borderline infringement, such as the use of pinstripes, but that is just conjecture at this point.

League sources tell us NYCFC is looking to correct the issue in short time so that they may continue with their original plans. They had previously set forth a reveal for this week with the winning design to be unveiled at a gala event scheduled sometime during the week of the 10th.

How long it will take for them to make their way past this latest hurdle is anyone’s guess.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/yankees-trademark-concerns-23773/

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Here is one issue the CFG needs to take the lead in fixing if it wants to deliver on it stated goals and to start establishing the Heart across the junior clubs in Victoria.

To be fair this (as reported) is a bit too big to fixed by any one club.  TBH I wasn't really aware of the extent of the problem as outlined by Foster, but it sounds believable.

I've been involved with 4 clubs with the 2 of my kids that play/ed the game.  Of the 2 that are in Melbourne 1 was pretty clear it was more a social outfit than a football outfit (which suited my child well).  The other one, which coincidentally neighbours the first, is probably one of the most professionally run junior clubs in Melbourne and takes coaching quality and development very seriously.  Really no players at this club should feel the need to supplement that with an academy.  I could well imagine this would not be the case everywhere though.  

I happen to know of a case in NSW where a very talented young boy, whose mum is a single parent, was forced to quit football as they could not afford to pay the exorbitant fees required for him to continue to play this wonderful game. He is now playing AFL at a level which will get him drafted next year to go to a top afl team, so we have lost a talented player because the fees which were being demanded were out of the parents budget. I might add that the fees were not to an academy they were fees to register him and mostly for travel to tournaments etc as he was selected for state rep games.

Edited by johnno cpfc
  • Like 2

To be fair this (as reported) is a bit too big to fixed by any one club.  TBH I wasn't really aware of the extent of the problem as outlined by Foster, but it sounds believable.

I've been involved with 4 clubs with the 2 of my kids that play/ed the game.  Of the 2 that are in Melbourne 1 was pretty clear it was more a social outfit than a football outfit (which suited my child well).  The other one, which coincidentally neighbours the first, is probably one of the most professionally run junior clubs in Melbourne and takes coaching quality and development very seriously.  Really no players at this club should feel the need to supplement that with an academy.  I could well imagine this would not be the case everywhere though.  

I am not suggesting they fix the whole country, but in conjunction with the FFA they should be fixing up half of Melbourne at least. If they want to spend money to increase the fan base, pay for the tuition of all junior coaches in our region. 

• Like 1

That's right johnno.  You make a rep side then you pay.  That's on top of everything else you've already paid for.  Plenty of stories like the one you related.

Yet go to the developing world and everyone plays this game because all you need is a ball - something is seriously wrong in this country. 

• Like 1

That's right johnno.  You make a rep side then you pay.  That's on top of everything else you've already paid for.  Plenty of stories like the one you related.

Yet go to the developing world and everyone plays this game because all you need is a ball - something is seriously wrong in this country

We are grossly over-regulated, that's what's wrong. And we go in that direction because people will not take responsibility for themselves.

Getting off topic, and we probably should start a new one...but why is it necessary for junior clubs and players to be "registered"? Get a group of "unregistered" clubs together and form a league of your own - what is there to stop you?

Interesting discussion here. From what I read the AFL subsidise junior comps and therefore keep the cost down for parents. And they can do that with the media deals, etc they have. At some point you need to pay for administration, ground fees, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc so the $$$$ have to come out of someones pocket.

What if HeartFC had rep sides down to juniors and were able to subsidise costs for parents? We'd get flooded with the best junior talent looking to play for us and have a great supply of future players.

Heart bis hits a snag as application to trademark Melbourne City is knocked back

Matt Windley

March 5, 2014

PLANS to rebrand Melbourne Heart have hit a snag as the ­initial application to trademark the name Melbourne City Football Club has been knocked back.

MHFC Holdings Pty Ltd lodged the trademark application on January 16, exactly a week before the $12 million takeover by Manchester City was publicly announced.

But the group has been issued an adverse examination report by the trademark office, which means it needs to provide further information and evidence as to why its application should be successful.

A change of name to Melbourne City is still possible, and the club has 15 months to provide the required evidence, but given that the 2014/15 A-League season is set to kick-off in October, there is likely to be a faster resolution.

While the reasons behind the initial denial are unclear, It is possible that the bid of the state league side, Melbourne City, to protect its name has delayed the process.

The state league fourth division club, which is based in South Kingsville and registered its name in 2005, lodged a trademark application of its own on January 29. That application has also stalled as it too has been issued an adverse examination report.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/heart-bis-hits-a-snag-as-application-to-trademark-melbourne-city-is-knocked-back/story-fnk6pqhd-1226846338318

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

It has always been assumed that CFG would change the name at season's end. However I don't believe that they have ever stated that the name change had to be at season's end - AFAIK they said changes would be announced at season's end in respect to the team and staff. They never said what changes...

Yet go to the developing world and everyone plays this game because all you need is a ball - something is seriously wrong in this country

We are grossly over-regulated, that's what's wrong. And we go in that direction because people will not take responsibility for themselves.

Getting off topic, and we probably should start a new one...but why is it necessary for junior clubs and players to be "registered"? Get a group of "unregistered" clubs together and form a league of your own - what is there to stop you?

Really, and I though the main problem was it was totally unregulated. ( I am talking about the extra elite training schools btw). 

Edited by Rellum
  • Like 1

Really, and I though the main problem was it was totally unregulated. ( I am talking about the extra elite training schools btw). 

That's what Foster thinks is wrong about his particular problem.

Which pretty much sums up Australia.  Every time someone thinks there is a problem the solution seems to be add more bureaucracy.  End result the plethora of ridiculous petty rules and regulations we have control every minute of our life.  Apart from these being infuriating, they stifle creativity and worst of all add a massive cost to every single thing we do.  

An alternative solution to Foster's problem would be fee paying parents doing their own research in order to differentiate between a good and a poor "academy".  If you think an academy that is poor can't get a piece of paper saying they ticket umpteen boxes you must have had different life experiences to me.  The good academies should also go out of their way to differentiate themselves in the market place.   

• Like 1

Which pretty much sums up Australia.  Every time someone thinks there is a problem the solution seems to be add more bureaucracy.  End result the plethora of ridiculous petty rules and regulations we have control every minute of our life.  Apart from these being infuriating, they stifle creativity and worst of all add a massive cost to every single thing we do.  

An alternative solution to Foster's problem would be fee paying parents doing their own research in order to differentiate between a good and a poor "academy".  If you think an academy that is poor can't get a piece of paper saying they ticket umpteen boxes you must have had different life experiences to me.  The good academies should also go out of their way to differentiate themselves in the market place.   

In my last trip to South America definitely the kids were playing out in the streets with a ball having the time of their lives. BUT the good kids whose parents could afford it went to acadamies. Ggenerally the background of some of these guys such as Ronaldhino who emerged from the Favelas (poor shanty towns) is heralded but that is part of the feel good propaganda. You should see how many kids there are in the favelas who go no where. I also note that players such as Messi, Maradona, Vargas who also came from poor backgrounds were noted by the big clubs very early on - in Messi's case it was Barcelona! I don't know how these kids came on the radar for the clubs though.

As for parents doing their own research, it is hard when teh parents themselves aren't particularly well versed on the intricacies of football and how to teach them. In my experience some kids gell really well with a particular coach and progress, others don't and get stuck.

And on a final note how is this any different from selecting a private school for your kids? I know of one very exclusive school that trades on its prices and pretty presentations but the end product is way inferior to the public schools, yet they have a waiting list!!!

Heart bis hits a snag as application to trademark Melbourne City is knocked back

Matt Windley

March 5, 2014

PLANS to rebrand Melbourne Heart have hit a snag as the ­initial application to trademark the name Melbourne City Football Club has been knocked back...

.... It is possible that the bid of the state league side, Melbourne City, to protect its name has delayed the process.

The state league fourth division club, which is based in South Kingsville and registered its name in 2005, lodged a trademark application of its own on January 29. That application has also stalled as it too has been issued an adverse examination report.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/heart-bis-hits-a-snag-as-application-to-trademark-melbourne-city-is-knocked-back/story-fnk6pqhd-1226846338318

So both applications have been given an "adverse examination report." IMO that makes it even more likely that the two organisations will reach a compromise.

Be interested in how people work out a good academy from a bad one epically those people who don't have a strong footballing background. Based on what you are saying I think you are arguing for an accreditation of some sort which would be another level of bureaucracy. Ignoring that, how does help the kid/family who can't afford any extra football training cost or cover the basic club costs. Elite football let alone club football shouldn't be for the rich.

The FFA has to bring down the costs of football or juniors at least and I agree with Foz that these academies need to be bought under one umbrella which for me should be the A-League and NPL clubs.

Edited by Rellum

Matt Windley

March 5, 2014

PLANS to rebrand Melbourne Heart have hit a snag as the ­initial application to trademark the name Melbourne City Football Club has been knocked back...

.... It is possible that the bid of the state league side, Melbourne City, to protect its name has delayed the process.

The state league fourth division club, which is based in South Kingsville and registered its name in 2005, lodged a trademark application of its own on January 29. That application has also stalled as it too has been issued an adverse examination report.

So both applications have been given an "adverse examination report." IMO that makes it even more likely that the two organisations will reach a compromise. My thoughts as well. Interestingly the other club put in their application AFTER the city.

The official NCYFC twitter account released this picture, obviously the 2 outlines of the 2 crests they are going to vote on:

BiIheJuCMAA875k.jpg

The left crest outline is almost certainly meant to allude to the Seal of New York City:

us-nyc)s.gif

I'll be watching the development of NYCFC quite closely, I haven't watched much MLS admittedly but I am interested so I guess now I have a team to half-support which is good  :)

And of course, it'll be interesting to see the links between them and us, if there are to be any.

The voting have now started.. We can notice that the New York City colours (blue-white-orange) are featured even if there are both navy blue and sky blue (most like symbolising the parent teams NYY and MCFC)

BiX2aVhCEAEUap_.jpg

Edited by M13

The voting have now started.. We can notice that the New York City colours (blue-white-orange) are featured even if there are both navy blue and sky blue (most like symbolising the parent teams NYY and MCFC)

BiX2aVhCEAEUap_.jpg

These are so bad, especially when compared to some of the fan/3rd party submissions during the process... 

nycfc_hyperakt_logo.gif  1465318_249856025187861_383825908_n.png

Some good news for us potentially, with them choosing to the New York City flag's colours.

NYCFlag.jpg

Edited by LR9

Pretty pleased that the above crests have been put forward for NYCFC. I think this bodes well for Heart.

Both crests have drawn heavily from New York City symbols and content: the colours of the New York flag, the seal of New York and arguably the New York Yankees logo (with the N superimposed on the Y).

Also, navy blue is the main and most eye catching colour (even though MCFC has some affiliation with navy blue, sky blue is much more 'their' colour. That is, the colour MCFC is associated with). So as far as I can see, Man City aren't hell-bent on making their new clubs sky blue. The colours and symbols of the home city seem much more important than the promotion of some global brand's colours and symbols.

The whole 'it's up to you, New York' and '#myNYCFC' campaign also significantly suggests that they care about the opinions of New Yorkers/supporters.

So all up this is a little more evidence IMO that they care about the opinions of local supporters, and they do want NYCFC to be rooted and developed for the New York fans, just as Man City has explicitly said they want their Melbourne club to be 'rooted and developed for the Melbourne fans'. So a bit more evidence that they want each club to be unique and self-contained, and not a 'mini-Man City'.

However, the branding of NYCFC has been a pretty centralised and secretive process. And apart from some rather token mosaic of the NYCFC crest, which will be fully made of mini fan-made crests, there seems to be no real supporter input into the NYCFC identity. Man City giving people 2 choices is better than giving supporters no choice at all, of course (although I think 1 crest is much better than the other [the right], so it's something of a false choice). But it's not like NYCFC is a beacon of democracy. There's a lot of technocratic decision-making at NYCFC (which is maybe somewhat understandable, as it is a new club).

So hopefully we see that respect for supporters' opinions from Man City as well. But hopefully they also realise that a new club like NYCFC and an established club like Melbourne Heart are apples and oranges, so Heart don't see an overwhelming amount of centralised and technocratic decision-making with regards to big decisions and big issues at Melbourne Heart. 

• Like 1

Well this is the problem, we aren't club members as we don't have a club, we are season ticket holders and stakeholders, but we aren't the club owners and ultimately not responsible for the decisions. As stakeholders though we clearly have an identity that doesn't need to be created from scratch, it needs to be evolved but this doesn't require a destructive process.

However, the branding of NYCFC has been a pretty centralised and secretive process. And apart from some rather token mosaic of the NYCFC crest, which will be fully made of mini fan-made crests, there seems to be no real supporter input into the NYCFC identity. Man City giving people 2 choices is better than giving supporters no choice at all, of course (although I think 1 crest is much better than the other [the right], so it's something of a false choice). But it's not like NYCFC is a beacon of democracy. There's a lot of technocratic decision-making at NYCFC (which is maybe somewhat understandable, as it is a new club).

So hopefully we see that respect for supporters' opinions from Man City as well. But hopefully they also realise that a new club like NYCFC and an established club like Melbourne Heart are apples and oranges, so Heart don't see an overwhelming amount of centralised and technocratic decision-making with regards to big decisions and big issues at Melbourne Heart. 

Yes, but there's a limit to how much involvement they could give the fans. Just giving them a vote on the badge is more involvement than any other MLS club gave its fans, really. Regarding supporters groups, many MLS clubs organise or at least sponsor their own "ultras" groups, but NYCFC is refusing to do this - they've had a couple of Q&A sessions where fans have asked them things like what the club's nickname will be and what the fans will be called, and their responses have always been "we don't know, that's for you to decide." They're giving private encouragement to people who are making motions towards creating fan groups but are specifically refusing to be involved in it - to the point where, when one Supporters Club recently had its first ever meeting and invited them to send a representative they respectfully refused to attend, telling the couple of guys running the group that they didn't want to put themselves in a position where they could be accused of trying to control or manipulate the fans, even though there hasn't even been any accusations of that yet.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else NYCFC could be doing right now to provide further reassurance that they are respecting the autonomy of the fans and their right to dictate the culture and identity of the club. Short of doing some ultra-radical program where the fans get to choose everything right down to the dress code of their board meetings and which company to buy light bulbs from, they seem to be offering about as much fan involvement as they could reasonably be expected to, IMO.

• Like 5

Yes, but there's a limit to how much involvement they could give the fans. Just giving them a vote on the badge is more involvement than any other MLS club gave its fans, really. Regarding supporters groups, many MLS clubs organise or at least sponsor their own "ultras" groups, but NYCFC is refusing to do this - they've had a couple of Q&A sessions where fans have asked them things like what the club's nickname will be and what the fans will be called, and their responses have always been "we don't know, that's for you to decide." They're giving private encouragement to people who are making motions towards creating fan groups but are specifically refusing to be involved in it - to the point where, when one Supporters Club recently had its first ever meeting and invited them to send a representative they respectfully refused to attend, telling the couple of guys running the group that they didn't want to put themselves in a position where they could be accused of trying to control or manipulate the fans, even though there hasn't even been any accusations of that yet.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else NYCFC could be doing right now to provide further reassurance that they are respecting the autonomy of the fans and their right to dictate the culture and identity of the club. Short of doing some ultra-radical program where the fans get to choose everything right down to the dress code of their board meetings and which company to buy light bulbs from, they seem to be offering about as much fan involvement as they could reasonably be expected to, IMO.

I understand what you're saying, with your exaggerating argument that the fans can't pick the light bulbs. As I said, maybe that level of supporter engagement is understandable for a new club.

But at the same time I'm not going to give too much credit to Man City for giving New Yorkers 2 crests to choose between.

And my main point was that if Man City only give Heart supporters 2 new crests to choose between during a rebranding of the club, then don't expect Man City to receive a lot of thanks. Whilst it's nice to see the new club NYCFC receive its level of supporter engagement, much more supporter engagement would be necessary if Man City are going to make big decisions about Melbourne Heart's future (which they seemingly will post-season).

The A-League season will end in exactly 1 month from today (then finals begin, but Heart may well not make them), and there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding Heart's future after that point. It's been several weeks since the takeover, and Man City haven't done anything address this uncertainty. The silence has been deafening.

I'll wait to see what happens after Melbourne Heart's season is finished, but I won't accept on blind faith that Manchester City will look after the interests of Melbourne Heart and Melbourne Heart supporters, instead of their own interests, just because they made a few nice statements on the day of the takeover.

Edited by Murfy1

The CEO of Manchester City did say on 24th January '...out of respect for the players and coaching staff in the middle of the Hyundai A-League season, we will not be making any more major announcements until the end of the current season.' so, however frustrating that may be, to do the opposite would have broken his word.

On the future of Heart, while there may be some questions (mainly raised by the media I would add) about the name, colours and logo of the club under the new ownership, FFA has assured the current licence holders a tenure of 20 years, so I don't see any doubts in the future of the club as far as the A-League is concerned.

In reality all that has changed so far is the ownership of an A-League licence, the conditions of which are very tightly (one might say obsessively) controlled by FFA. Names, colours, kits, logos, web-sites etc. cannot be changed without the authorisation of FFA.

I cannot see any point in new owners of an A-League licence, whichever franchise is involved and whoever the new owners are, alienating the existing supporter base.

• Like 2

As I have mentioned before.. "annoyingly secretive" that´s how you can describe CFG really.
Not sure how much New York can tell us about Hearts future really, the situation is not really comparable even if basic values might well be the same.

I think most fans here would be very happy if the new owners undertook the same level of supporter engagement that the Wanderers did as they started up during the coming off season. That process gave the wanderers fans a real sense of ownership of the club they where going to follow.

Murfy MCFC hasn't given the NYC supporters two crests two choose from.

This has been done by the people running the NYC franchise.

Whilst Soriano is in overall charge of CFG. You can be sure local people will be running the day to day activities of the club.

The situation with the Heart is very different as you are an existing club. I am pretty sure they will be listening to those people already at the club on the way to move forward.

After the end of Heart's involvement in the current season I would expect the first announcement(s) (not necessarily simultaneously) to be about the key positions in the administration of the club. These may be confirmations of existing personnel, or new appointments. For example, CEO, Director of Football, Senior Coach. Once these key people are in place they will take the club forward according to the overall guidelines set out by CFG.

As Falustur has indicated, it's not sensible to expect consultation on every single jot and tittle of what has to be done. A business, football club or not, cannot run that way. People in key positions are paid big dollars to make decisions and to get them right.

After the end of Heart's involvement in the current season I would expect the first announcement(s) (not necessarily simultaneously) to be about the key positions in the administration of the club. These may be confirmations of existing personnel, or new appointments. For example, CEO, Director of Football, Senior Coach. Once these key people are in place they will take the club forward according to the overall guidelines set out by CFG.

As Falustur has indicated, it's not sensible to expect consultation on every single jot and tittle of what has to be done. A business, football club or not, cannot run that way. People in key positions are paid big dollars to make decisions and to get them right.

I would hazard a guess the CEO will be from Melbourne or be connected with it in some way.

They will want to appoint people who understand Aussie sport and in particular Melbourne sport.

I can understand you guys being frustrated when all you hear from the media is that they will change this and that. However, City don't go out of their way to mollycoddle up to the media and I am sure this won't change in New York or Melbourne.

Edited by silva10