Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Another City fan from Manchester dropping by to Wish you (Us?) fellas all the best. As a City season ticket holder for 27 years I can fully understand the doubts and trepidation from a few of you with regards to where your (Our?) club is going.

When City were first taken over by our most handsome and wonderful Sheikh it at first just didn't feel right at all to me. Despite being over the bluemoon with regards to knowing our finances/debts were in a far better state, I honestly felt a little dirty. I felt the takeover somehow questioned the essence of why I was a City supporter. 

Part of the city character/identity was (And in a sense still is) being the under-dog, the team without a pot to piss in, the team who would almost always get patronised by both media and other clubs fans...and I knew all that was about to change. It terrified me. Weird, right? Wanting to cling onto medicore performances because that's pretty much all I knew. But as I saw what our owners were doing, not just at the club, but  also in the local community I started to feel much more ressured and fully supported their vision to where they wanted to take the club. Football supporters are a fickle species. Once you start hammering your opposition all your doubts will be a thing of the past, trust me ;-)

Our owners are seriously the best in the world who are professional to the extreme. They just quietly go about their business with the intent of improving the club. It really is that simple. I really can't see the owners making any huge dramatic changes to aspects that greatly affect the clubs history. I'm pretty certain there will be no major changes to colours/badges etc and if there is it will be respectfully minimal.

You're (We're?) in for one hell of a joyous ride over the next few seasons. Lets enjoy it together.

im loving the input you guys are putting in. Thank you. It does make me feel a bit better reading what you guys have been writing.

I can't really add anything that other Manchester City fans haven't already said - just that you are now backed by hands-down the best possible owners you could ever hope to have.  I will say though, Melbourne City FC has a much more traditional sound to it than the current choice (but I know how easy it is to get attached to a name) - can't you keep 'The Heart' as a nickname?

• Like 1

Hey lads, Irish Manchester City (and now, by extension Melbourne Heart) Supporter here, I'm sure all the bluemooners have beat me to it as I've gotten here late :) but you're in for a rollercoaster ride with your new owners, these guys have literally made dreams come true for all of us!

Wouldn't worry too much about rebranding, Sheikh Mansour has always been totally respectful of our clubs history and traditions, NYCFC was a start-up.

Enjoy the ride!

• Like 2

Another post from Manchester, although I was born and grew up in Australia including 6 years in Melbourne.

I can only echo the comments from my fellow blues complimenting the way our management go about their business. It's not just the money. Supporter engagement, facilities, communication etc have all improved in leaps and bounds since we were taken over. Of course the money, and players bought with it hasn't hurt either. So you are in good hands, and when the people in charge say they will respect the history and traditions of your club I'm inclined to trust them as that is exactly what they've done with Man City.

That doesn't mean that they don't want changes in name and colour, I'm pretty sure that will be on the agenda. But you will be given your chance to have a say, and I do believe they will listen. I do think there are pretty convincing reasons for the club to be Melbourne City FC and play in sky blue, but of course you guys will have equally convincing reasons to stay as it is.

Nyway, will he an interesting 12 months ahead.

I've been following the plans for NYCFC pretty closely over the past six months and will obviously have more of an interest in this one. Hope it goes well for you all.

Edited by moomba

That Aguero winner takes on a different meaning for me now.

Don't worry, we'll have our very own "Aguero" moment. I could just imagine it... "Hofmaaaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!" Hahahaha you should get a few marquee signings soon to show intent as we did with robinho, tevez etc, how does del piero sound?

I'm leaning more towards Messi but I guess he'll do  :D

On top of everything else you'll probably get to play a friendly match against Manchester City. Aguero, Toure, Silva and the rest of our world class players and even loan some of our up and coming youngsters aswell.  I'm heading down there if we do. Love Australia as a country. Don't mention the cricket though!

we are gonna have to organise a Manchester City-Melbourne Heart/City fan get together i reckon

Edited by Demon_Heart

On top of everything else you'll probably get to play a friendly match against Manchester City. Aguero, Toure, Silva and the rest of our world class players and even loan some of our up and coming youngsters aswell.  I'm heading down there if we do. Love Australia as a country. Don't mention the cricket though!

we are gonna have to organise a Manchester City-Melbourne Heart/City fan get together i reckon

A big one down at the Imp

hi all hearts fans,another city fan here,you couldnt of asked for better owners than your new ones,weve been so lucky,no change in identity,we have regular e-mail fan surveys,which are all taken into account.were on one hell of a ride ,the same one your just about to start.after years of mediocrity and piss taking,were now one of the big boys in england,top star players and a brand of football like no other at the moment,just one of our songs you could adopt

we never win at home

we never win away

we lost last week

we lost today

we dont give a fuck cos were all pissed up

mcfc ok

hi all hearts fans,another city fan here,you couldnt of asked for better owners than your new ones,weve been so lucky,no change in identity,we have regular e-mail fan surveys,which are all taken into account.were on one hell of a ride ,the same one your just about to start.after years of mediocrity and piss taking,were now one of the big boys in england,top star players and a brand of football like no other at the moment,just one of our songs you could adopt

we never win at home

we never win away

we lost last week

we lost today

mcfc ok

you forgot about the stand leaders! we have stand leaders!

Hi everyone, another lifelong Manchester City fan checking in to comment on this. 

First of all I have to echo what other City fans has been saying, our current owners are on another level to anybody else in football and I think MHFC are extremely fortunate to have been taken over by this group. Their level of ambition is beyond anything that we as City fans could have ever dreamed, and they have been nothing but respectful and professional when making these things a reality. 

I don't know if they will look to change the team colours to blue, and I hope they won't because I think it is very important for the club to maintain their own identity separate from MCFC. Fortunately though our owners are extremely intelligent people, and even *if* they felt they needed to make some unpopular decisions, I have no doubt at all that they will more than make up for it in other ways. I don't think for a minute that a few years down the line any of you will look back at this day and wish it never happened. It really is going to be a fantastic ride, and its impossible to know where its going to end. The sky truly is the limit, for both of our clubs. 

I'm sure it sounds selfish but I'm looking forward to having another team to support in addition to my beloved City. I wish you guys all the best. 

Exciting times! :)

• Like 2

A big one down at the Imp

If we do play down in Melbourne expect a mass (friendly) invasion of City fans. We're absolutely fanatical, especially when there's sun, sea, beer and an outside chance of checking out miss Minogues pert derriere!

• Like 1

we never win at home

we never win away

we lost last week

we lost today

mcfc ok

great,song,champ,i,really,like,it

• Like 1

Another Bluenose here to say welcome to the family, and to try & give you an idea of what you're in for.

I've been watching City since around 1973/4, and for the most part, it's been fucking hard, having to watch players who were, to be frank, shite. All the while watching United win trophy after trophy, playing quality football, while I'm watching players who look like they've wandered in off the street, stolen a kit & blagged their way onto the pitch.

The first thing our new owners did was buy Robinho, basically as a way of saying "we don't mess around, we mean business" that kind of got everyone's attention. Next thing they did was to ask our opinion; so be warned, you'll be getting questionaires to fill in (there's usually a draw for free tickets if you complete them) For the first time in 40 years, the club's owners actually gave a shit about my opinion, I still get surveys from time to time, asking me what I think they do well, what I'd like them to do better, any suggestions etc. I work with fans of various clubs, and none of them seem to be consulted to the level we are; the club genuinely seem to value "bringing the fans with them" on the big decisions. They haven't always got things right, and when they haven't they've publicly said "yeah sorry, we were wrong on that one, we'll do it better next time", another refreshing change.

I live about a kilometre from the stadium, and I can tell you, the transformation in the local area is at least equal to the one on the pitch. The area was one of the most deprived in Manchester: the old steel mill & coal mine that had closed down years ago, and the derelict chemical factories are a distant memory, being replaced by "The Campus" an academy for our youth setup with around 14 pitches and a 7,000 seat stadium. A new community centre, homework club & college. The local school kids also get to use the all-weather pitches. All this off-the-field stuff tends to get ignored by the media & other fans who like to focus on transfer fees & salaries.

I guess I'm trying to say you're in for a hell of a ride both on and off the pitch (Sheikh Mansour, he loves his all-out attacking football :)), enjoy it, and hopefully we'll get to play each other at some point.

One thing I am confident about; within a couple of years you'll be giving Victory the kind of going over we've been giving to United in recent seasons, and all the whining about how unfair it is just adds to the enjoyment :lol: .

I welcome the investment, to have a professional set up, quality academy, and a training facility would be superb (no more wheelie bins!). But I do hope that the new owners keep to our traditions, particularly the colours. I except that they may want to infuse the Man City brand in some way, but as a long time PSV fan, the red & white is something that I love. If the name and logo does change to Melbourne City FC, then I hope that they add in a tag line like "The True Heart of Melbourne." So that way we can keep calling ourselves Heart.

• Like 1

It's like bizzaro world in here.

People happy for our name to change, for our logo to change, for sky blue to be added to our club colours.

So long as we have money and become bigger then the vizitards :hkpalm:

For me it has nothing to do with the visitors. Its to do with being involved in a club that is run like a proper football club. Heart or not part of my ling term family tradition nor are they my local park side. They have so far offered very little to become attached to.

If the new owners come in and want to do things properly and I mean world class properly- then i am happy to shed the the big bash style gimmicky names and suchPersonally reckon it's more gimkicky to change the name, colours and badge our club to copy some big European club tbh.1. You agreed when this was first announced today that our colours would def remain due to SFC and MVFC wearing Blue.

2. Did u stop following the kangaroos when they changed their Media name?

(And FWIW I know that you are aware name change is more common than good refereeing in Australian Soccer History.)

3. Did you stopped following the Kangaroos when they changed their logo?

Now with the last two questions I know your probably reply about how you campaigned against those changes but ultimately you support North as much as you ever did and still called them North regardless of what the commenators called The Club. Yes.

Didn't go to any North games from about 2001 until 2005, after the club's admin tried to erase every reference of North Melbourne from our identity. From changing the club name and club songs, readying the club for relocation by stealth to the Gold Coast. That period was where I really got into soccer as a sport.

Only became a member again when it looked like the club was going to die in 2006. In 2007 we knocked back millions of dollars in incentives and guarantees of success should we relocate, because for us as fans keeping our name, club colours and location as an inner suburban footy club meant more then selling out on it all for a bit of extra dosh and success. Because for us that wouldn't be the same club as the one we fell in love with.

Maybe I come from a different angle to most, but a club name, crest, colours and the intrinsic identity it brings means a helluva lot more to me then the extra dosh being thrown in.

Maybe I come from a different angle to most, but a club name, crest, colours and the intrinsic identity it brings means a helluva lot more to me then the extra dosh being thrown in.

Usually I would agree with you FB, but surely you can see the difference here. Clubs like North Melbourne are part of people's family and Melbourne's History. They are loyal to the badge because its a part of who they are. 

Heart (the club), on the other hand I dont feel any sense of loyalty to. Loyalty (for me) comes from trust and/or pride which has been EARNED over a period of time. They have done nothing to earn my trust and they have given me nothing to be proud of. In fact quite the opposite. Heart has been one big betrayal and embarrassment so I am honestly not too fussed if its gone and something meaningful is built or they keep it as is and fix it up. Either way I am just happy that the past 4 years is behind me.

Obviously I respect your opinion and I am not trying to change your mind. I just want you to understand where me and others who are happy about this are coming from.

Edited by KSK_47

Can fully understand emotions when a team is going through some hard times and changes are being made to resurrect fortunes like name change, colours, relocation, etc. I am a Footscray supporter, not Western Bulldogs and hey our name change has done fuck all for our fortunes premiership wise. What we don't have is investment, facilities and the ability to recruit like Collingwood, etc. We are the perenial underdogs and really I can't see things changing.

At the moment HeartFC, only 4 years old, has the chance to make a statement early in its evolution and get in the mix with the Tards, WSW, SFC, Roar. This is a dream come true compared to where we were just weeks ago - drifting aimlessly and mosts of us posting about how dire our position is. Talk about SMFC is gone. We've moved up 10 notches to where we would have been if they had bought us.

If the new owners are serious about engagement with fans they should quickly move to arrange forums with us to determine what we want to remain as part of our identy and what we would be comfortable with in terms of changes. I'm ok with Melbourne City FC as I mentioned earlier but colours should remain Red&White for home. Away strip is a different matter. We already have had the charcoal grey thrid strip and most people were happy - I've got one in the cupboard and two Red&White home strips.

Change at the early years of a club's development is far more palatable than when a club is 50 or 100 years old. I'm in for the ride and a chance to say in later years that I was there when we turned the boat around and started to get ambition and finally shed the mediocrity that was chocking us to death.

Thanks Sidwell et al for getting the club off the ground but now it's time for a new era.

As much as we all suffered and hurled abuse at sidwell and co. They ran a debt free tight ship which was a major reason city bought us. They deserve a lot of thanks for that. They got their profit and we got a future.

As I stated a few times, the only two blunders that Sidwell & Co made was the appointment of JA and how long it took them to dismiss JA. Yes the club was in penny pinching mode and sold players but financially the club was profitable. Too many clubs have already gone bust and there is no point in going all out without looking at revenues. Could they have done more to raise investment for better facilites? Perhaps but that will always be an imponderable.

It is better to still have the club and build for the future rather than have spent all the cash and have no club at all.

As much as we all suffered and hurled abuse at sidwell and co. They ran a debt free tight ship which was a major reason city bought us. They deserve a lot of thanks for that. They got their profit and we got a future.

Gee thanks a bunch for building a shell of a football club so you could sell it on to someone who can actually do the job you told us all you were doing. Really glad I stuck around to be a part of that.

You can't seriously believe that the half arsed job sidwell and co did has anything to do with this do you?

If our new owners had approached the ffa and said they wanted to build a new club from scratch they would have said no we already have heart? This is a nice and easy way for them to allow city into the comp and and get rid of heart in the one transaction. Nothing heart have ever done is needed by our new owners.

Always believed life is about balance.

After touching obscurity, irrelevance, hitting the bottom of the barrel then digging even deeper, as a club we were in coma.

Lowest of the low

The only place where this heart was still beating was here in the support group that somehow held on, wishing, hoping and fighting for our club.

Being bought by another cash hungry business group or some mining cashed up bogan would have put us in a better position then we were in, however we deserve better.

Owners of one of the largest sporting conglomerate are not here to tarnish their brand by going into a venture unprepared without best intentions to make our club a success

For us we are always going to be heart!

Get on board

We deserved best of the best, as this is IT!!!

Edited by Jestr

Congratulations!  You've just won the Lotto!

I understand your concern about possibilities of name change, colours change and stadium change.  I've no great knowledge about what will happen but you may be due a Hull+Cardiff change in one and that will be unsettling, although there's no reason not to keep "Hearts" as the nickname.

But my point is, would you like to become part of the Manchester City group, have the same philosophy and see Manchester City style football played in your local stadium?  Have the locality transformed into a footballing Mecca with training and community facilities that opponents can only dream of, have the Manchester City team visit on tour and exchange players (both ways) to develop them?  A change of name and colours would seem to me a small price to pay to enjoy the wonderful football we are enjoying here in the UK.  In 5 years, Manchester City will be amongst the most successful, if not the most successful, football club in the world, playing beautiful, open football in the right spirit - not the mean, cheating version of the game that Manchester United have played these past 20 years.  Don't you want to be part of that?

Enjoy the ride!