Melbourne Football

Round 7 v Newcastle away 24th Nov

RedAndWhiteSoldier

pretty sure Hoffman and Maycon offered more upfront than Mifsud. 

really disapointed with him so far tbh

Na bro shit service,jet lag,the weather,aleague balls and seagulls are the real issues here.

In Malta this guys a SUPERSTARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I almost forgot, he also has "half interest" now.

If you're referring to my post, he's pretty much fucking walking the ball into his opponents at the moment and playing like shit, looks like he's half interested to me, not happy with my criticism, or should I be making fun of his hair cut too?

If you think I'm making excuses for him then you're mistaken.

Edited by King Malta

Na bro shit service,jet lag,the weather,aleague balls and seagulls are the real issues here.

If you're referring to my post, he's pretty much fucking walking the ball into his opponents at the moment and playing like shit, looks like he's half interested to me, not happy with my criticism, or should I be making fun of his hair cut too?

for me, its not because of any of these ^ reasons, but because he doesnt even look like scoring.

another week, another disappointment 

Well yes, I would like to see a hair reference at some point. 

No use making excuses for mifspud, the guys simply not up to aleague standards... and thats saying something.

• Like 1

Well yes, I would like to see a hair reference at some point. 

No use making excuses for mifspud, the guys simply not up to aleague standards... and thats saying something.

See, the thing is though, I'm not making excuses for the guy.

He's not playing anywhere near good enough at the moment.

Maybe he isn't up to the A-League's standards, at this point it doesn't look like he is, but my point is that even if he isn't he still doesn't look to me like he's giving 100%, and if he's going to keep straying offside or picking up the ball and running directly at his opponent then he can stay on the bench.

I'm a Heart fan before any sort of sentimentality I hold for Mifsud (having done what he's done for Malta) and if he doesn't start pulling his weight then I don't want him in the line-up.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 2

Well I'm pleasantly surprised with that performance. I expected a 3-0 loss and for us to actually score a goal, a real one away from AAMI Park or even at AAMI Park, wow. We've now scored as many goals this season as Adam Taggart scored today, give JA a 5 year contract extension...

I reckon we are a shoe in to get less than the NZ Knights 6 point total this season, I'm putting money on it. I'm expecting the Board to continue to support JA no matter what or if they do replace him they'll look for the cheapest replacement

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Whilst watching the match, my wife asked me, "who's John Aloisi's dad?". I replied "Mr. Aloisi". She then said "I thought he might have some mafia connections", with JA having Italian roots etc. She then went on to add that must be the only reason JA hasn't been sacked yet and there is something strange going on with Melbourne Heart.

What is going on? It must be almost over.

Didn't watch. It's painful enough watching at AAMI Park let alone away games.

It's embarrassing - even humiliating, but maybe the result is the medicine we have to take for the good of the club in the longer term. 

I just cannot see that Aloisi can stay on now. And probably we need to make some other changes as well in the club structure. Don't think we should criticise the players - they signed on in good faith and if they are not up to the A-League standard it is not their fault.

The club is a long, long way below what it was in season 2, and the decline must be stopped.

• Like 1

It's pretty much pointless to talk about the game, but here I go:

Aloisi's changes were bad. He made changes he shouldn't have made, and he didn't make changes that he should have.

- Replacing Walker with Gerhardt? Seriously? This change much weakened our attack down our right, and Gerhardt was caught out on a number of occasions. It's funny how when coaches often try to be very defensive (3 CBs in the back four, 2 DMs), teams leak more goals than they normally would

- Williams as a 10 again .... He's like a blackhole in our midfield. He can't pass or retain possession, and most of our attacks crumbled when they reached him. Williams looked most dangerous when Golgol was in the 10 position and he threaded a quality pass for Williams to run onto. Continuously playing Williams as a 10, instead of a proper forward, has arguably been Aloisi's key tactical mistake IMO

- So many hopeless long balls. Poor use of the midfield

- Very slow on the counterattack. Counterattacking is arguably what our team is most suited to do, and we never actually counter with speed and sharpness

- Soft defence, in the middle of our team today

It was almost good to see many of our players, like Kisnorbo and Ramsay, get really frustrated today. It shows that they care and aren't happy with our situation. I reckon most of our players are frustrated under Aloisi. He's lost the team, and they can't get motivated under him. It's no coincidence that we've NEVER EVER won, or even bloody drawn, after falling behind in a match with Aloisi as head coach (that's about 19 losses now).

At least it's ridiculously obvious what has to happen now.

Aloisi out.

• Like 2

Aloisi's changes were bad. He made changes he shouldn't have made, and he didn't make changes that he should have.

- Replacing Walker with Gerhardt? Seriously? This change much weakened our attack down our right, and Gerhardt was caught out on a number of occasions. It's funny how when coaches often try to be very defensive (3 CBs in the back four, 2 DMs), teams leak more goals than they normally would

- Williams as a 10 again .... He's like a blackhole in our midfield. He can't pass or retain possession, and most of our attacks crumbled when they reached him. Williams looked most dangerous when Golgol was in the 10 position and he threaded a quality pass for Williams to run onto. Continuously playing Williams as a 10, instead of a proper forward, has arguably been Aloisi's key tactical mistake IMO

- Very slow on the counterattack. Counterattacking is arguably what our team is most suited to do, and we never actually counter with speed and sharpness

It was almost good to see many of our players, like Kisnorbo and Ramsay, get really frustrated today. It shows that they care and aren't happy with our situation. I reckon most of our players are frustrated under Aloisi. He's lost the team, and they can't get motivated under him. It's no coincidence that we've NEVER EVER won, or even bloody drawn, after falling behind in a match with Aloisi as head coach (that's about 19 losses now).

Aloisi out.

...we haven't even drawn after going behind under JA? 

Embarrassing...

Aloisi out.

...we haven't even drawn after going behind under JA? 

Embarrassing...

Yep, we haven't even drawn. I just checked for a third time, and counted 19 losses, and I'm pretty sure I heard Simon Hill make the same point before full time, with him saying that Aloisi had lost 18 times after falling behind (now 19, of course).

Aloisi at Heart has never had the tactical nous or motivational ability to turn games around, and things seem to be getting worse and worse. He's gotta go ASAP.

• Like 1

I'm sure a case can be made for saying we won 1-0 because I can't recall anyone ever scoring 3 goals or more in one game in the A League that match the quality of Taggart's 3 goals in this game.

There are 2 things I got from this game.

1. We are shit and have some players who couldn't give a stuff and put in half hearted efforts. They're called coach killers.

2. After 2 great finishes for goals in the previous game Taggart backed up with quality of the highest order. He's made it clear to Ange and everyone else that he wants to be a starting 11 Socceroo in Brazil. 

• Like 1

I'm sure a case can be made for saying we won 1-0 because I can't recall anyone ever scoring 3 goals or more in one game in the A League that match the quality of Taggart's 3 goals in this game.

There are 2 things I got from this game.

1. We are shit and have some players who couldn't give a stuff and put in half hearted efforts. They're called coach killers.

2. After 2 great finishes for goals in the previous game Taggart backed up with quality of the highest order. He's made it clear to Ange and everyone else that he wants to be a starting 11 Socceroo in Brazil. 

What I don't understand about coach killers is surely they know that the first thing the new coach will do is punt the coach killers before they kill him?

Agree about taggart.

Seriously mate!!! are you joking??!?!?!?! 

You think its Mifsud's blame we lost???? you're an absolute joke!!!

Seriously mate!!! are you joking??!?!?!?!

You think its Mifsud's blame we lost???? you're an absolute joke!!!

Please feel free to quote and highlight where I stated Muffsad was to blame for today's loss.

I still go, i still support, I still care about the club, But i just dont bother getting worked up about how crap things are. Watching us play away you can almost script what will happen, We will have a great chance to score the first and miss then not long after the other team puts one in the back of the net and so begins the goalfest

I think Aziz's failed long suicide ball to no one which eventuated to the Jets' third goal pretty much sums up Aloisi's game style.

Kick it out of defence, to anywhere.

Play long risky balls.

Kick it high to a one-on-one and hope we win the header.

If you think you can make a long diagonal pass try it and with some luck you'll catch them off guard.

If we have the ball in their forward third, don't shoot, just try crossing it in to the square with only Mifsud there for the header

We play possession football so hold on to the ball and when they put us under pressure pass it back to Redmayne who will take the pressure off by smashing it out of there.

We'll put pressure on them for the first 20mins then just ease up to give them a false sense of security...

You all train really hard and Mifsud is always scoring at training so it won't be long before he finds the back of the net

When Harry Kewell is back next week just kick it to him. Always look to pass to him first!

If he's not back. we'll just stick to our guns and hope with some luck we turn things around...Willo, I might have to play you out of position again, you've had a few weeks now to change the way you've been playing all your life so I'm going to need you to step up as a No.10...don't make me put Kalmar on!

• Like 1

Here's some good analysis from Guardian writer Kate Cohen:

Match Analysis Newcastle Jets 3-1 Melbourne Heart

An in form Newcastle Jets side put more pressure on the struggling Melbourne Heart. Adam Taggart scored a wonderful hat-trick but two of them were gifts after errors from Heart.

teams.png

Both Newcastle and Heart made changes to their sides from last week.

For Heart, Iain Ramsay, Golgol Mebrahtu, Patrick Kisnorbo and Andrea Migliorini came in for Jeremy Walker, Nick Kalmar, Michael Mifsud and Paulo Retre. Patrick Gerhardt moved to right back, whilst David Williams resumed his role in the ‘Number 10’ position after starting on the left wing against Sydney FC.

Newcastle was forced into some major changes at the back, with both Connor Chapman (injured) and Kew Jaliens (suspension) missing. Taylor Regan and Josh Mitchell formed the centre back pairing, whilst Jacob Pepper continued at left back.

[...]

Melbourne Heart Go Long

Whilst Newcastle made it difficult for Heart to play through the midfield, Heart made their intentions pretty clear from the get go. Instead of trying to play through a dangerous area where they were sure to be pressured, Heart looked to go long early to exploit their pace in behind the defence.

The above video shows six examples of this clear tactic, and all occurred within the opening 15 minutes. But tellingly, the video was filled with long aerial balls from deep areas. The first and last clips in the video unsurprisingly came after forcing turnovers in the middle of the park, before quick combinations, whilst runners broke in behind.

Those two examples represented the ideal template for success, given Melbourne’s front four: turnovers near halfway, quick one touch combinations and through balls on the ground to get in behind. But instead of focusing their energies on working such patterns, Heart all too frequently looked to go route one from the back with lofted passes over the top of Newcastle’s defence.

4iznl4.png

Heart’s final third chalkboard was telling:

photo.png

Adam Taggart

Adam Taggart’s recent form has been superb, and his hat-trick demonstrated his finishing qualities and his confidence. Despite the individual finishes, all three goals came within three passes of Newcastle regaining possession, and two after Heart’s errors.

23s9a37.png

Ramsay’s pass to Migliorini resulted in a turnover. Two passes later, Taggart scores.

2v28wev.jpg

Behich’s misplaced passes; three passes later and Taggart doubled Newcastle’s lead

11wd6xj.png

Kisnorbo’s header fell to Zadkovich, who passed to Taggart

Conclusion

This game could have been all so different if Melbourne Heart could have converted a glorious chance at the start of the match. After failing to convert early chances, it was individual errors and lapses in concentration that allowed Newcastle to take the lead, and from there, Heart’s lack of confidence showed.

For both teams, next week will be interesting. Newcastle take on a similarly flying Sydney FC, and it is ironic how just a few weeks ago both Gary van Egmond and Frank Farina were the coaches under the spotlight. That spotlight is now shining bright on John Aloisi and Josep Gombau, and when Adelaide takes on Heart, it will surely be a ‘must not lose’ match for both.

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/newcastle-jets-3-1-melbourne-heart/

Good post Murf.

[Just from the replay of the match I saw I also thought Redmayne's attempt at saving the final goal was very ordinary. He had plenty of time to see the shot. He's also below par as far as I'm concerned, just like everyone else.]

However...doesn't that clip show how poor our strategy is? No attempt to play through midfield on the deck. Doesn't someone at MHFC go through these videos and see what the hell is wrong?

• Like 1

Good post Murf.

[Just from the replay of the match I saw I also thought Redmayne's attempt at saving the final goal was very ordinary. He had plenty of time to see the shot. He's also below par as far as I'm concerned, just like everyone else.]

However...doesn't that clip show how poor our strategy is? No attempt to play through midfield on the deck. Doesn't someone at MHFC go through these videos and see what the hell is wrong?

I agree that just a quick watch of any of our games exposes how weak our strategy is. And it's mind-numbing and painful that we persist with such a poor and simplistic strategy. Either the coach with the final say about strategy (presumably JA) is stubborn and simple, or the rest of the coaching staff aren't telling the head coach any home truths about our poor performances. Or both. Either way, our awful performances reflect poorly on the whole coaching department, so I agree that more people than just Aloisi deserve blame.

Edited by Murfy1