Melbourne Football

Let's appoint an Aussie coach for the NT

cheeky18

Its a whole new ball game coaching international football, i dont think any aussie coaches are able to take over just yet. Its best to have Hiddink take over until the end of the WC, and have along side him a Graham Arnold/Popa/Ange as assistant to nurture them through it all, then to have one of them take over once Hiddinks job is done. That is what i see best to satisfy all parties and thats what i think we should do.

Its a whole new ball game coaching international football, i dont think any aussie coaches are able to take over just yet. Its best to have Hiddink take over until the end of the WC, and have along side him a Graham Arnold/Popa/Ange as assistant to nurture them through it all, then to have one of them take over once Hiddinks job is done. That is what i see best to satisfy all parties and thats what i think we should do.

Aurelio is already there as the sidekick, and in my opinion, will become a very capable coach in a few years.

Don't have much faith in Vidmar unless we want to play 10 behind the and hope to score on a set piece. Really need to look foreign. Unfortunate that Jorvan Vieira took the Kuwait job in August, would've been the perfect man for the job on short notice. We need someone with some bastard who's willing to upset people and rid the team of the likes of Neill, Carney, Wilkshire, Holman, etc.

• Like 2

Vidmar is a no for me, the best person needs to be appointed and it needs to be clear what their goal is between now and the World Cup, the nationality is largely irrelevant.

I disagree, we need one of our own one of our legends like tony popovic because its time and I belive that could motivate the players more.

• Like 1

Don't have much faith in Vidmar unless we want to play 10 behind the and hope to score on a set piece. Really need to look foreign. Unfortunate that Jorvan Vieira took the Kuwait job in August, would've been the perfect man for the job on short notice. We need someone with some bastard who's willing to upset people and rid the team of the likes of Neill, Carney, Wilkshire, Holman, etc.

Need someone who has no alliances, old friendships or could be under any emotional influence/obligation in regards to recruiting.

This is the team that not only represents the nation but is inextricably linked with all levels of football in this country.

A league had made some serious steps forward putting us on the internation map to bring some amazing players to the local game.

If I was told 5 years ago that ADP or HK will play in a league I would instantly hand over all my medication to the person delivering tha news and drive him to psychotherapy.

FFA and clubs managed to sway those guys to come over had a lot to do with our international standing as a football nation. They all could clearly see that our team can perform under pressure, produce results and stand up against ANY team in the world!!!

No amount of negotiating will sway, first class football player to consider our league when NT is a nothing but a joke and embarrassment.

Long term, established coach with international experience is needed here at the moment.

Get us back on the map, 12 goals in 2 games...............disgraceful!!!

I think we HAVE to have an Aussie in charge.  Why?  Well we need someone there who is thinking long term.  So its not just 2014 WC or 2015 AC (at home) but also 2018 WC.  Only an Aussie will care more about that then whether they keep their job.

I think we should throw off the cultural cringe - foreigners aren't automatically better and people should remember that.

I hope the FFA considers these 4 candidates closely:

• Graham Arnold
  • Ange Postecoglou
  • Frank Farina
  • Branko Culina

I know they will all have their fans and detractors but I've been very impressed with GA's ability to turn something out of nothing with his players at Central Coast - this skill will be vital with the motley crew available for selection.  Ok it wasn't great last time he was in charge of the socceroos but at the time i felt he was severely handicapped by not being more than a caretaker.  With no authority how could he get the players to toe his line?  On top of that he is a lot more experienced now.

Ange is without doubt a very good coach with many years experience, both at club here and OS and with the youth team.  The problem is we all know he likes to play a certain way.  What will he do with the choices at his disposal and ultimately will he be pragmatic enough to adjust plans to match our opposition?

Farina has many years of experience and that coupled with his excellent track record of developing youth players (eg Oar, Zullo, Kruse, Nicholls) would make him a strong candidate.  The question might be is it too soon for him after his last stint?  Stints at Roar, PNG and now Scum FC have no doubt added to his experience.

Culina would be the outsider, but he would probably be the most experienced candidate in the country and has clearly demonstrated he is a good coach.  Is he good enough would be the question and does he have the desire for what would be a thankless tough job?

Apparently Ange is now the front runner, FFA are fucked, sack them all. So many better options out there at a much lower cost. Seriously just give me 10k and I'll fly to the Balkans and get them a better manager, give him 90k to do the job until after wc, I'll take 10k from his end as well. FFA get a better coach and can keep the other 1.4m they've got for a new coach, coach gets a chance to coach at a wc and 80k, Tesla gets 20k and a holiday. Everybody wins.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

I honestly give less of a crap about the Socceroos winning than I do about MVFC losing so...

Ange for National Team Coach :up:

Why don't you care? In the near future we'll get to see some of the heart players in the shirt so there's no better time than now to support them.

Because I care more about seeing Heart players wearing Heart Shirts now. :up:

In my ideal world Heart would have around fourteen Australian players all of Socceroo Quality all being snubbed by the Socceroo Coach therefore forever being available to wear the only shirt that matters.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure the Nationality of the manager should matter as much as the long-term plan for the NT.

Shanaga made some good points but I don't think those coaches (outside of possibly Ange, and even then, he's relatively untested at a higher level than the A-League) are quite up to the standard of what our National Team needs NOW. I agree that the future should be a high priority for our NT but that shouldn't be any different for any National Team.

What we should be looking at is; the best coach available outside of the journey-men (like Guus). A bloke like Guus probably doesn't care as much about long-term security for the team, likely because he is often utilized as a Mr.Fix-It or a bloke who'll drag the team over the line to qualification. What we need is a coach who is willing to be locked into the National Team job for the next 4-5 years and who is given a target of assisting the transition of the next generation to the fore of the NT. I don't have any specific names but that's just my two cents.

This is not just about the coach...but I like these comments I found elsewhere.

"What is this parallel universe in which Australian football administrators and journalists live? We are currently ranked 53 in the world by FIFA, which reflects our actual performances over the past four years. If FIFA operated a league system of, say, 20 teams per division we would be in the third division. International football isn't just played by a cosy little coterie of former British Empire countries, nor is it a sport where we can pick an representative team that only ever plays one other country, sort of. It's a truly global sport and we are in its third division - get over it. Our current squad of players contains hardly any who are playing in the first division of a top ranked national league - that's the player quality our national coach has to work with. In these circumstances it is not a national disaster if we get beaten 6-0 by two of the best teams in the world. It is the normal state of affairs and any better performances against top ranked teams are nothing more than aberrations. To put it in English league terms, we are a Division 1 team who now and again might get a good run in the FA Cup. The only hope of this country changing the current situation is if everyone, players, coach, administrators, fans and especially the media, starts from a position of objective reality instead of the fantasy world we seem to be in at the moment."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

In saying that. Holger Osieck was brought in as an attempt to rejuvinate the squad.....when we are still playing with a backline where everyone is over 30? How can that be rejuvination? Seriously to have lucas neil and sasa ogenovski as the centre back pairing against such a fast team as brazil is stupid. The fact is it was a friendly....why cant we see sone younger players getting a run?

Oliver Bozanic wasnt even called to the brazil squad, and yet hes scored something like 5 goals in his first six games this season. Then for the france game,didnt even make it off the bench.

Atm the only "golden generation" players i would like to see (and not necessarily starting every game) at the next world cup would be:

Bresciano, still has the ability to produce those crazy passes.

Cahill, but not as a striker-someone else should be given the chance.

Keneddy, 5 goals ib six games should not go unrewarded.

Schwarzer- he still has it

I think it's been apparent for a very long time that we would struggle at this WC, we basically seem to have missed one generation of players (where are our players aged 27-30, normally this would be the main age group in a NT) and it may be correlated with not having a national league for a year at a key point in their development, or it might just be how the cycle goes sometimes, we had a golden generation so it makes sense the one right after it is below average. You can look at Belgium for the opposite, they had a poor generation, and now they have a quiet exceptional generation. The other thing with this is, that expectations change, our golden generation pushed expectations up, and then the below average generation looks a lot worse compared to the golden generation rather than comparing to the level our NT has been at historically. Again using Belgium as an example of the opposite, their poor generation put down expectations and now there is almost shock at how good their players coming through are when really they aren't that far beyond were Belgium have been historically.

Good news is, the next generation for Australia looks much better and we will probably have a decent team by next WC.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

In saying that. Holger Osieck was brought in as an attempt to rejuvinate the squad.....when we are still playing with a backline where everyone is over 30? How can that be rejuvination? ...

That's a fair point, but it's not the issue here.

It's quite clear that Osieck was sacked as a knee-jerk reaction to the two 0-6 defeats by the 8th- and 25th- ranked teams. Not because he played an ageing back line.

If FFA heavies were concerned about aspects of Osieck's performance, such as his squad selections, then they should have discussed those aspects with him. After all, they allegedly appointed him after a rigorous search for someone suitable for the job.

When you're ranked 53rd it is pretty pointless playing teams such as Brazil and France. Far better to be playing matches against teams ranked 40-60 - such as Paraguay, Japan, Austria, Turkey, Wales etc. (the rankings can be seen here: http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html) - when you can assess how some likely new faces in your squad, fringe players, etc. perform against teams roughly of your level. Nobody learns anything when the scoreline is 6-0.

Incidentally, I'd make the same point about playing teams that are far inferior to your own - that's also a waste of time. Some of Heart's pre-season matches are like that.

Osieck lasted far longer in the job than he ever should have, the performances in qualifiers was woeful. We were genuinely the worst footballing team in the group during the last stage but had the ability to grind out results in games where we were outplayed. If you're being outplayed by nations like Oman and Jordan it's time for change, the Brazil and France results were in the pipeworks for a long time.

Di Canio  ...  ?

Di Canio isn't the worst suggestion in the world, he got rid of the guys at Sunderland that he deemed to be 'not committed to the cause'. So the players that have been hanging around for their swansong would have to earn their spot on merit rather than sentiment.

Shame the Sunderland board didn't give him some time to implement his ideas. They looked reasonable against Arsenal and would've been a much better side when Fletcher got back on the park.