Melbourne Football

Michael Mifsud

Tommykins

He'll never succeed with our team due to the fact he's simply just not suited to our play. JA loves long balls, why would you go out and sign a bloke who's 5'5? Makes no sense. Would thrive on a CCM, WSW teams.

Obviously he's not going to win too many headers against CBs but I don't understand why everyone thinks that Mifsud can't play in a system that uses long balls.

I mean I doubt Malta plays possession football with heaps of short passing. I would guess a fair few of his goals actually come from long balls over the defense which he runs onto to.

Not saying we have to or should play long balls, or even that it does suit him but just because he is short doesn't mean he cannot play with long balls.

He'll never succeed with our team due to the fact he's simply just not suited to our play. JA loves long balls, why would you go out and sign a bloke who's 5'5? Makes no sense. Would thrive on a CCM, WSW teams.

Obviously he's not going to win too many headers against CBs but I don't understand why everyone thinks that Mifsud can't play in a system that uses long balls.

I mean I doubt Malta plays possession football with heaps of short passing. I would guess a fair few of his goals actually come from long balls over the defense which he runs onto to.

Not saying we have to or should play long balls, or even that it does suit him but just because he is short doesn't mean he cannot play with long balls.

Problem is, we keep playing the long balls on top of his head as opposed to over his head to run onto.

Whether this is a case of poor technical ability from the players' perspective or poor tactical ability from Aloisi's perpsective, I can't be certain but the long ball game we're playing at the moment isn't really effective and the opposing defenders will be more than happy to compete aerially against Mifsud. 

Once we actually manage to dink it over their heads and make the defenders turn and run back towards goal, we'll create far cleaner opportunities.

He had two chances against Roar with long balls to run onto but flashed em both just wide. I hope that Mifsud gets more involved though in some pass and move style counter attacks, and that JA's plan isn't to hoof long balls all season to a guy who's 5"5 and 32 years old. 

In the pre-season i jokingly said that Mifsud was a good signing provided we didn't resort to moonballs like JVS did with Terra, like we did with Babalj and Tadic who were both good with the ball at their feet and not great aerialists.

People blame individuals like Gerhadt, but even Kisnorbo was long balling.  But its the game plan, its our "style".  And its the antithesis of  the playing philosophy the cub said it would be built around.

In the pre-season i jokingly said that Mifsud was a good signing provided we didn't resort to moonballs like JVS did with Terra, like we did with Babalj and Tadic who were both good with the ball at their feet and not great aerialists.

People blame individuals like Gerhadt, but even Kisnorbo was long balling.  But its the game plan, its our "style".  And its the antithesis of  the playing philosophy the cub said it would be built around.

Kiro when we have a poor;y positioned midfield at transition into attack and then poor movement off the ball there is little option for the player with the ball other than to dribble the ball through a congested midfield press or hoof it. If I were coaching I'd be fining players who aimlessly hoofed the ball and players who weren't moving to create a passing option.

Kiro when we have a poor;y positioned midfield at transition into attack and then poor movement off the ball there is little option for the player with the ball other than to dribble the ball through a congested midfield press or hoof it. If I were coaching I'd be fining players who aimlessly hoofed the ball and players who weren't moving to create a passing option.

I agree with you.  But after all this time, if the players are the ones who are not following directions then surely the coach would have addressed it.  Surely?   But i doubt it. That leaves us with only other possibility that this IS the way they're being instructed to play?

I agree with you.  But after all this time, if the players are the ones who are not following directions then surely the coach would have addressed it.  Surely?   But i doubt it. That leaves us with only other possibility that this IS the way they're being instructed to play?

Either that or they are given no instructions or unhelpful instructions. It hasn't changed in over a season, and is still the same despite new players. Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1?

• Like 1

Just watched a nice interview with Mifsud on SBS World News, he said that while we're struggling to win games we're still doing "nice things" (which I don't entirely agree with) but he's a very well-spoken guy and seems hell-bent on doing well for the club which is refreshing and nice to hear as a supporter. 

Also got some promotion which is good, hopefully people will come tomorrow and not just watch on FTA.

Edited by Nate
  • Like 2

we will end up saying the same things we did after Tadic left....

he would kill the league with better service. 

Much better than Tadic. Mifsud is at least having shots, creating chances and making himself a danger man. Tadic would go entire games basically invisible.

You guys seriously still gonna defend this little shit head?

Can't finish, can't shoot, weak as piss and makes shit runs.

Donkey.

i'll defend Mifsud from the perspective that he feeds off shit in terms of service.  the guy is 5'5 for fucks sake.  this long ball shit is never gonna work for him.  

people thought last season that Tadic was alright just needed service.  well what the fuck do you call the service Mifsud gets?

in comparison to Tadic, Mifsud is miles better.  at least Mifsud can get to the ball.  after all, you cant shoot if you dont get the ball!!!

• Like 2

Donkey.

in comparison to Tadic, Mifsud is miles better. :droy: So you think he is getting great service then?

Only reason Tadic appeared better was cause he was a lot Taller n could deal with this long ball crap

Donkey.

in comparison to Tadic, Mifsud is miles better.

:droy: So you think he is getting great service then?

Only reason Tadic appeared better was cause he was a lot Taller n could deal with this long ball crap

Ye so I guess the guy who missed the easy one on one wasn't mifspud?

His runs are horrible too. Runs away and tries to sneak around the back every single time. His the weakest little shit and doesn't even play like a striker.

Rubbish.