Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

I think our line up will be (do excuse me for what appears to be a raffle for RB unfortunately)

Williams

Ramsay--- Kewell--------Mate

Gerdhart-------Murdocca

Behich-----Wielart-------Kisnorbo-------Walker

Substitutions to be made
Mebrahtu > Mate
Migliorini > Gerhardt
Vranks > Rob

A few things:
1. Williams was played as a striker in the match against Adelaide, and I believe he will be able to give us our best physical presence up front.
2. Doubt that Mate will play 90 so expect either Gol Gol to sub on (or off) for him at right wing
3. Wielaert is coming back from an injury and there's no point risking him for 90 when we've got Vranks in the wings who is a solid replacement
4. Murdocca is the workhorse of the team and a lot of our play will be generate off of his boot and that's why I think we'll see Gerhardt, who's new to this role in Melbourne colours, be replace by Migliorini after about an hour to get some match fitness and experience of big pressure game into the Italian

5. Ramsay has to start LW, he's got pace to burn and he knows how to play in big games against Victory more than most

Prediction? Tough to say, because I'm not sure how many goals this line up has. Having said that, I believe it's a better line up than this time last year. With Mifsud missing and the Visitors missing Milligan and Kosta, I'll says a 1-2 win. We get up for the derbies like a 13 year old boy for the K-mart lingerie catalogue. Bring it home lads. Also, march?

Edited by Deluka
  • Like 1

I think our line up will be (do excuse me for what appears to be a raffle for RB unfortunately)

Williams

Ramsay--- Kewell--------Mate

Gerdhart-------Murdocca

Behich-----Wielart-------Kisnorbo-------Walker

Substitutions to be made

Mebrahtu > Mate

Migliorini > Gerhardt

Vranks > Rob

A few things:

1. Williams was played as a striker in the match against Adelaide, and I believe he will be able to give us our best physical presence up front.

2. Doubt that Mate will play 90 so expect either Gol Gol to sub on (or off) for him at right wing

3. Wielaert is coming back from an injury and there's no point risking him for 90 when we've got Vranks in the wings who is a solid replacement

4. Murdocca is the workhorse of the team and a lot of our play will be generate off of his boot and that's why I think we'll see Gerhardt, who's new to this role in Melbourne colours, be replace by Migliorini after about an hour to get some match fitness and experience of big pressure game into the Italian

5. Ramsay has to start LW, he's got pace to burn and he knows how to play in big games against Victory more than most

Prediction? Tough to say, because I'm not sure how many goals this line up has. Having said that, I believe it's a better line up than this time last year. With Mifsud missing and the Visitors missing Milligan and Kosta, I'll says a 1-2 win. We get up for the derbies like a 13 year old boy for the K-mart lingerie catalogue. Bring it home lads. Also, march?

This is the truth if I've ever seen it.

Reading the sun today and they had the possible line-ups for the derby and guess who they had at rb? Captain Hoff :droy:

Who else was in the line up besides Hoffman © ?

In the sun they predictated that we were going to play a 4-2-3-1 looking like this:

Mebrahtu

Williams--- Kewell--------Mate

Gerdhart-------Migilorini

Behich-----Wielart-------Kisnorbo-------Hoffman

Pretty accurate imo, Wielart would be one i would question, hasn't played any pre-season games and has only come back from an injury in the past couple of weeks. Maybe be better having him come off the bench?

I agree, it looks pretty accurate. I've got a feeling Wielaert will start, as the club stressed that he would begin full training on Monday (that is, sept 30), and Aloisi's also said that Wielaert will be 'ready to go' for the derby and that he's 'naturally very fit' (whatever that means).

I'd rather have Ramsay over Williams at LW, because Ramsay has looked sharper in pre-season.

I'm really not sure who our 2 best defensive midfielders are at the moment. I think if we want to keep possession, we should have Murdocca and Migliorini IMO (which unfortunately benches Gerhardt, because he hasn't been great on the ball in pre-season). Whereas if we want to defend and disrupt our opponent's possession, which could very well be the plan for this derby (like it was for the first derby of last season), then I think we should have Gerhardt and Murdocca.

Also Walker over Hoffman, no explanation needed.

Victory sets sights high

127_michael_lynch.jpg
Michael Lynch Senior sports reporter with The Age

art-svMILLIGAN-620x349.jpg

New and old: Mark Milligan (left) has replaced Adrian Leijer as Melbourne Victory captain. Photo: Getty Images

In an open letter to supporters on its website on Friday, Melbourne Victory promised them ''a season like no other''. Clearly, no one in the club's marketing department subscribes to that tried and tested business nostrum: under promise and over deliver.

There's nothing like a big statement at the opening of a campaign - even if it turns out ultimately to be a hostage to fortune.

Melbourne Heart has adopted a lower-key approach, preferring to come into the new season without any serious statement of intent.

That's not to say the ''other'' team in Melbourne doesn't have high expectations. Second-season coach John Aloisi's decision to sign a group of quality experienced players is a signal that the time for development is over and that the club has to be a contender.

Advertisement <iframe id="dcAd-1-4" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/N6411/adi/onl.age.sport/sport/soccer;cat=sport;ctype=article;cat1=soccer;pos=3;sz=300x250;tile=4;ord=8160960.0?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> </iframe>

Victory has had a couple of storied seasons, particularly in the early years of the A-League when it twice won the championship and premiership under Ernie Merrick, so delivering on its website pledge and topping those achievements will be difficult.

Coach Ange Postecoglou has a reputation for the single-minded pursuit of his goals with a dedication that can border on the ruthless. While everyone was prepared to view his first year in charge at AAMI Park as a season of transition, Postecoglou wasn't, regarding a preliminary final loss to the eventual champion Central Coast as something of a failure.

Such an attitude means that anything less than a grand final appearance this year could be regarded as a failure for Victory. But such pressure is par for the course at Victory which, because of its large fan base and the resources at its disposal, usually goes into the new season as near favourite for the title.

The squad does look to have strengthened this year, with Postecoglou anxious to increase its depth, particularly in defence.

Retaining Socceroo utility Mark Milligan was a big achievement: the holding midfielder (who can also operate in defence) was a target for English Premier League team Crystal Palace but Victory played hardball and no agreement was reached before the transfer deadline elapsed.

Milligan will not only be playing for his World Cup place while an A-League regular, he will be doing so as the club's new captain. Postecoglou has replaced regular skipper Adrian Leijer with a man whom he has described as the best player in the A-League. While Leijer would not be human if he wasn't a little disappointed it should help the centre-half cement his spot in the starting line-up alongside another new face in Chilean international Pablo Contreras, who was signed from Greek club Olympiakos last month.

Contreras is experienced, having played in the Copa America, World Cup and Champions League, and he should bring stability to a Victory rearguard that, Leijer apart, contains a number of youngsters in Scott Galloway, Jason Geria and Nick Ansell.

Postecoglou's capture of sometime Socceroo James Troisi also strengthens his club. Troisi is a talented left-sided attacking player who, in his mid-20s, has yet to deliver on his abundant promise.

He has spent all of his career in Europe without making a big breakthrough and this is a major opportunity for him to establish himself as a first-choice player and press his claims for a place in the World Cup squad.

Across town at Heart there is a feeling of quiet confidence and expectation among the coaching staff following a torrid first season for Aloisi and his assistant, Hayden Foxe.

Heart was strong at home last season but failed to win a game on the road.

The coaching staff hopes that the acquisition of several experienced players, most with international pedigrees, will help turn things around although Aloisi could be forgiven for wondering whether he ran over a black cat somewhere when his marquee signing Orlando Engelaar, a former Dutch international, broke his leg on his first appearance for the club in a pre-season friendly. He will not be available until the second half of the season.

Still, the back line has been strengthened with the acquisition of Socceroo defender Patrick Kisnorbo, back home after a decade in England and Scotland, and Dutchman Rob Wielaert, who has spent his career playing at the highest level in the Netherlands.

Former Adelaide wide man Iain Ramsay increases Aloisi's attacking options, while regaining Mate Dugandzic, who missed last season through injury, is, as the cliche has it, like signing a new player.

And of course Harry Kewell, last seen in Melbourne at Victory two seasons ago, will this year line up in red and white stripes. Kewell has plenty to prove after a less-than-happy year at Victory and he is determined to impress Holger Osieck - or whoever happens to be coaching the Socceroos after the next two friendlies - and win a place in the Australian squad for Brazil next year. As incentives go there is little bigger, and if Kewell is fit and focused there are few in the league with comparable talent as Heart's new skipper.

What better stage for him to show what the season holds in store than Etihad Stadium next Saturday evening when the two clubs meet for the first of three clashes in the new A-League season.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/victory-sets-sights-high-20131005-2v16c.html#ixzz2gw73m8hv

Reading the sun today and they had the possible line-ups for the derby and guess who they had at rb? Captain Hoff :droy:

Who else was in the line up besides Hoffman © ?

In the sun they predictated that we were going to play a 4-2-3-1 looking like this:

Mebrahtu

Pretty accurate imo, Wielart would be one i would question, hasn't played any pre-season games and has only come back from an injury in the past couple of weeks. Maybe be better having him come off the bench?

I agree, it looks pretty accurate. I've got a feeling Wielaert will start, as the club stressed that he would begin full training on Monday (that is, sept 30), and Aloisi's also said that Wielaert will be 'ready to go' for the derby and that he's 'naturally very fit' (whatever that means).

I'd rather have Ramsay over Williams at LW, because Ramsay has looked sharper in pre-season.

I'm really not sure who our 2 best defensive midfielders are at the moment. I think if we want to keep possession, we should have Murdocca and Migliorini IMO (which unfortunately benches Gerhardt, because he hasn't been great on the ball in pre-season). Whereas if we want to defend and disrupt our opponent's possession, which could very well be the plan for this derby (like it was for the first derby of last season), then I think we should have Gerhardt and Murdocca.

Also Walker over Hoffman, no explanation needed.

Pretty sure it means he will be ready, as in he is naturally very fit so when he gets back to training it wont take long for him to catch up to the required fitness. Id say he is a certain starter for this week.

All the murmurings ive heard from JA seems to suggest Migliorni might be a little underdone fitness wise so id suspect Gerhardt to start over Migliorini.  I think that although Gerhardt cant pass well he adds a physicality and pressure which is how we won the first derby last year, so could do wonders for us this week. 

• Like 1

Heart gives untried defensive pairing derby debut

October 7, 2013

Jesse Hogan

Melbourne Heart has no apprehension about the prospect of relying on an untried central-defensive partnership for Saturday's A-League derby against Melbourne Victory, because of the quality of its defensive recruits.

Heart's wretched record with recent arrivals extended beyond the broken leg for marquee recruit Orlando Engelaar, with fellow Dutchman Rob Wielaert spraining his ankle six weeks ago.

While that has sidelined the 34-year-old from Heart's pre-season friendlies, the club has been buoyed by him having trained fully for the past week. ''In terms of his fitness, he'll be fine this weekend,'' said Heart's general manager of football operations, John Didulica. said of Wielaert.

''In an ideal world he would have had three or four games under his belt, but he's an absolute professional who's played at the top level, so he's not the sort of player who needs to play in [pre-season] games to know what he needs to do. I'm very confident he'll be in good nick for Saturday night.''

Wielaert was signed by Heart after playing more than 350 top-flight matches in Holland. His likely partner, out-of-favour Socceroo Patrick Kisnorbo, only joined a month ago but has trained and played fully in that time.

While defensive utility Patrick Gerhardt is also a selection option for coach John Aloisi, the club was adamant it was willing to rely on a Wielaert-Kisnorbo pairing.

''They've both played at an absolute elite level for a long period of time, so I've no doubt they can hit the ground running as a partnership,'' Didulica said.

In addition to Engelaar, Heart will be missing striker Michael Mifsud due to international duty and midfielders Jonatan Germano and Nick Kalmar due to hamstring and calf injuries, respectively.

While recruit Massimo Murdocca is likely to be used in midfield, so too could Andrea Migliorini, the 25-year-old Italian who is on a short-term deal with Engelaar injured.

Didulica predicted the midfield would be the key area in Saturday's derby at Etihad Stadium, especially with Victory to be without influential captain Mark Milligan due to Socceroos duty. ''The fundamental battle for the game will be who can take control of midfield,'' Didulica said.

''Both teams have got … a wealth of riches in attack and if you look across the back fours they almost cancel each other out, with [Adama] Traore and [Aziz] Behich and [Pablo] Contreras and Wielaert.

''Ultimately, someone's got to take control in midfield - that's where the game will be won.''

Didulica said he was rapt with the preparation of Mate Dugandzic, who missed most of last season with a foot injury. He also praised new captain Harry Kewell.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/heart-gives-untried-defensive-pairing-derby-debut-20131006-2v2dg.html

Edited by Murfy1

i can't see anything but a 442 or even a 4231 working against the wide play of victory.

A slightly modified version of Kiro's second option, that was posted in a different thread, is what i would go for...

-----------------Redders------------

Walker---Kisnorbo-Weilart----Behich

-------Gerhadt---------Murdocca

Mate-----------------------------Ramsay

--------------Williams-------------

--------------Kewell--------------------

With kewell(or any other striker) occupying the centre of attack forcing a defender to stick on him therefor eliminating one of their four for a solid backline. And, moving back into centre to recieve and lay off to the running wingers and williams.

Gol Gol to come off the bench for williams. Both are lightning type players, although i'd use williams in the starting line up, due to being a little more composed. 

I don't know how mate will cope having walker playing as a right back... walker drew a lot from garcia's leadership playing that right hand side and i think, defensively, that will hurt us. But i'd rather walker be on than hoffman in that position.

Needless to say, that we hold a strong chance to dominate and really open the flood gates for a 3 nil win here. Our counter attack is key to this.

But, over all, it is impeccable that we score first and maybe even second. As much as we have a new team, so do victory. We can break their confidence if we stay strong and composed. 

Mebrahtu

ramsay to start on left wing though, can cover for behich's runs forward.

can't have willow and gol gol on at the same time, positions in the team are hard to come by up forward.

Easy fix,

1. Just buy your away ticket, Duplicate print it as many times as you want

2. Get your non member mates to buy Level 3 tickets, they scan in with this

3. Show the gaurd at the away gate the printed off away ticket,

works every time whenever the away or home active bay has displayed "exhausted"

Would usually work under normal circumstances, but I've heard this game they will have stewards scanning your tickets in before you enter the active bays, so this could be an issue... Can you plz follow this up BH?

And the increased cost could be there to offset the increased security bill.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/soccer-clubs-police-crack-down-on-hooligans-at-melbourne-games/story-fni2wcjl-1226733829559

A DEDICATED police investigations team headed by a high-ranking detective formed to probe all criminal incidents at A-League matches;

RIVAL teams Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart ban flags and banners of splinter supporter groups in the stands, clamping down on the association of rogue fans;

DOB-a-yobbo text messaging hotlines for matches at AAMII Park as well as Etihad Stadium for the first time to encourage fans to alert police and security about troublemakers;

STRONGER ticket entry regulations with members forced to scan their pass on entry and again when they reach certain parts of the ground and;

IMPROVED CCTV and video monitoring of fans.

This still sounds like it could affect us...

My team for the derby

GolGol 

Ramsay                   Kewell                    Mate

Murdocca            Gerhardt 

Behich         Kisnorbo             Wielart              Walker

Redders

• Like 5

It won't let me quote DH tweet but interesting... thanks for posting.. I wonder if there's any substance to it... Will they all sit in GA in upper levels?

Yeah I was told to take it down lol.

But yes it is very interesting indeed!

I think there is substance definitely

Easy fix,

1. Just buy your away ticket, Duplicate print it as many times as you want

2. Get your non member mates to buy Level 3 tickets, they scan in with this

3. Show the gaurd at the away gate the printed off away ticket,

works every time whenever the away or home active bay has displayed "exhausted"

Would usually work under normal circumstances, but I've heard this game they will have stewards scanning your tickets in before you enter the active bays, so this could be an issue... Can you plz follow this up BH?

And the increased cost could be there to offset the increased security bill.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/soccer-clubs-police-crack-down-on-hooligans-at-melbourne-games/story-fni2wcjl-1226733829559

A DEDICATED police investigations team headed by a high-ranking detective formed to probe all criminal incidents at A-League matches;

RIVAL teams Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart ban flags and banners of splinter supporter groups in the stands, clamping down on the association of rogue fans;

DOB-a-yobbo text messaging hotlines for matches at AAMII Park as well as Etihad Stadium for the first time to encourage fans to alert police and security about troublemakers;

STRONGER ticket entry regulations with members forced to scan their pass on entry and again when they reach certain parts of the ground and;

IMPROVED CCTV and video monitoring of fans.

This still sounds like it could affect us...

where i'd be surprised with this LR9 is that for the system to work they would have to scan you in but also out for everytime you go to take a piss, go to get a drink, etc.  i question if that is going to be a viable solution.

of course, they could do it so that it causes a bottle neck, which in turn causes fans to get frisky / agitated.  hence more chance of a riot and thus playing into the police's hands so they can get their rocks off as usual by blaming these "unruly" hooligans .......  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

although i may just be a little skeptical.  just seems every fucking time those fellas want to show trouble as a way of a shit stir 

Edited by mattyh001

where i'd be surprised with this LR9 is that for the system to work they would have to scan you in but also out for everytime you go to take a piss, go to get a drink, etc.  i question if that is going to be a viable solution.

of course, they could do it so that it causes a bottle neck, which in turn causes fans to get frisky / agitated.  hence more chance of a riot and thus playing into the police's hands so they can get their rocks off as usual by blaming these "unruly" hooligans .......  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

although i may just be a little skeptical.  just seems every fucking time those fellas want to show trouble as a way of a shit stir

Yeah, that's exactly how it'd be done, to make everyone accounted for, etc. It's been done, I can't remember where I had to do something like this before.

Bit of a piss take, but would not be surprised the slightest - for this 'high risk' game..  :droy:

Edited by LR9

Yeah, that's exactly how it'd be done, to make everyone accounted for, etc. It's been done, I can't remember where I had to do something like this before.

Bit of a piss take, but would not be surprised the slightest - for this 'high risk' game..  :droy:

The alternative is shutting the whole bay off once they think its overcrowded, and having pissed off people who bought Active tickets not allowed into the bay. 

Either way, I'll be buying the first 4 beers for the match and making somebody else buying the rest for me mid-match. 

Edited by hedaik1

Never been in active support before (until this weekend) but I was just wondering, do Yarraside usually have much of an issue with the police and security? 

Really hoping I'm not made to feel like a criminal all season just for supporting my team, that's not too fair.

If the new scanning system means we'll avoid having Victory fans infiltrating our section again and destroying stadium property, then I'm all for it  :up:

i agree, those damn victory fans! trying to making us look bad... so what if we won the first derby...that's not a reason to wreck your home stadium.

Edited by Deviate
  • Like 1

Never been in active support before (until this weekend) but I was just wondering, do Yarraside usually have much of an issue with the police and security? 

Really hoping I'm not made to feel like a criminal all season just for supporting my team, that's not too fair.

For the most part the security is annoying but not much more, they tend to occasionally get overzealous, but for the most part they're just a minor annoyance.

They generally don't like Heart fans it seems

Just remember to break as many chairs as possible and it'll be all good :up:

• Like 1

While we're on the topic, this was Scott Munn's tweet earlier today: "Just to be clear, flags and banners permitted as per previous years for all @MelbourneHeart fans"

But yeah, they wouldn't support us so why should we support them? Part of the MVFC's reason for doing this would have been the inappropriate drop down banner they used against us last derby ("fyi melbourne is blue and white, go back to morwell you repulsive shite"), so fuck 'em. It's also funny because they've played for more games in Tassie than we've in Morwell.

While we're on the topic, this was Scott Munn's tweet earlier today: "Just to be clear, flags and banners permitted as per previous years for all @MelbourneHeart fans"

But yeah, they wouldn't support us so why should we support them? Part of the MVFC's reason for doing this would have been the inappropriate drop down banner they used against us last derby ("fyi melbourne is blue and white, go back to morwell you repulsive shite"), so fuck 'em. It's also funny because they've played for more games in Tassie than we've in Morwell.

I'm sure some may disagree. But I'd like to think we have a little more going for us than Morwell.

My team for the derby

GolGol 

Redders

:lol: Got tricked thinking GolGol was between the uprights and Redders was leading the line with Kiznorbo/Wielart in support and Aziz-zou and Walker whipping them in. Hey, your squad works front2back or back2front - should tweet to JA  :P

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

My team for the derby

GolGol 

Redders

:lol: Got tricked thinking GolGol was between the uprights and Redders was leading the line with Kiznorbo/Wielart in support and Aziz-zou and Walker whipping them in. Hey, your squad works front2back or back2front - should tweet to JA  :P

Haha I just hope that Hoff doesn't start over Walker