Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

One thing that I have noticed is how much encouragement he gives his team mates on the field. He lets them take the glory and then comes in and talks to them. Ramsay walks a foot taller after a pep talk from HK. And last night gave a great compliment to Williams in the post match interview. I probably underestimated him when he was appointed captain but over the last four weeks he is proving to be a very good captain.

Robbie Slater says Harry Kewell is the perfect replacement for Socceroo Robbie Kruse

Robbie Slater

February 2, 2014

HARRY Kewell for the World Cup. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

Before people start wondering why I'm throwing up another 35-year-old option for the Socceroos, there are some good reasons to consider Harry for Brazil.

The likely loss of Robbie Kruse to a knee injury is a sad blow for both the player and the country.

Losing one of our young guns hurts.

On that score, it was devastating for Rhys Williams - another of Australia's brightest young talents - to tear his achilles tendon so close to the World Cup.

Hopefully for Kruse and Williams, Australia will qualify for 2018 and they will be front and centre in Russia.

In a purely football sense, Kewell is the most obvious replacement for Kruse. Even in the dimming twilight of his career, Harry can still offer X-factor off the bench and provide versatility by covering several positions in the front third.

And unlike many of the older guys, Kewell is playing good, consistent and regular football now with the Melbourne Heart after being hit by injury at the start of the season.

Kewell evokes a lot of emotion. It comes with the territory when you are a great player.

But when you drill down below the hype and celebrity, there is a lot to like about what Kewell is doing with the Heart.

More than anything, he has stepped up as a leader, showing the way with his actions, and it is no coincidence that the Heart have lifted with their captain on the park.

It is humbling for any footballer to go through the difficulties Kewell has faced - from the constant heckling, injuries and losing a season to family issues - and he seems to have come through it a stronger man.

In many ways, he reflects the Heart.

This is a club that could have folded their cards when coach John Aloisi was sacked and they were on the verge of the longest losing streak in Australian football.

Now, with Kewell on deck, they have won two games and the future looks bright with Manchester City's owners buying into the club. Having their marquee man in Brazil would top it off nicely.

We all know Kewell has a strong desire to play in a third World Cup, but rather than talk it up, he is letting his football mount a case for him. And it's quite compelling.

He was superb against Sydney FC on Friday night, and not in the way you immediately imagine when Kewell turns on a starring performance.

It wasn't the blinding quick Kewell from his days at Leeds, those days are well gone. He has had better games with his touch and vision, too.

This performance was all about composure under fire, being a leader when the Heart most needed one. When his team went a goal behind and were down to 10 men in the first half, he refused to let heads drop.

As the lone man up front, he chased lost causes, harassed the Sydney defenders and pushed his team to what can only be described as a miracle victory.

While David Williams was the hero with his brilliant late goal, Harry was the team's heartbeat. He kept them in the fight.

For all that, Kewell must know he is making his run for Brazil from a long way back. He's last on the turn in football's equivalent of the Melbourne Cup.

He has a lot of work ahead of him to convince Ange Postecoglou he's worthy of a spot.

But, as I said, he's doing everything right.

If Harry did make it to the World Cup, it would help to right a wrong in Australian football.

As one of the greatest players this country has produced, it would be a shame if his final World Cup act was the hand ball and red card in the game against Ghana four years ago in Rustenburg.

Perhaps the stars are aligning for Harry. Maybe I'm getting a bit soft, but it would be a good World Cup story.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/robbie-slater-says-harry-kewell-is-the-perfect-replacement-for-socceroo-robbie-kruse/story-fni2fopz-1226815690427

Edited by Murfy1

Robbie Slater says Harry Kewell is the perfect replacement for Socceroo Robbie Kruse

Robbie Slater

February 2, 2014

HARRY Kewell for the World Cup. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

Before people start wondering why I'm throwing up another 35-year-old option for the Socceroos, there are some good reasons to consider Harry for Brazil.

The likely loss of Robbie Kruse to a knee injury is a sad blow for both the player and the country.

Losing one of our young guns hurts.

On that score, it was devastating for Rhys Williams - another of Australia's brightest young talents - to tear his achilles tendon so close to the World Cup.

Hopefully for Kruse and Williams, Australia will qualify for 2018 and they will be front and centre in Russia.

In a purely football sense, Kewell is the most obvious replacement for Kruse. Even in the dimming twilight of his career, Harry can still offer X-factor off the bench and provide versatility by covering several positions in the front third.

And unlike many of the older guys, Kewell is playing good, consistent and regular football now with the Melbourne Heart after being hit by injury at the start of the season.

Kewell evokes a lot of emotion. It comes with the territory when you are a great player.

But when you drill down below the hype and celebrity, there is a lot to like about what Kewell is doing with the Heart.

More than anything, he has stepped up as a leader, showing the way with his actions, and it is no coincidence that the Heart have lifted with their captain on the park.

It is humbling for any footballer to go through the difficulties Kewell has faced - from the constant heckling, injuries and losing a season to family issues - and he seems to have come through it a stronger man.

In many ways, he reflects the Heart.

This is a club that could have folded their cards when coach John Aloisi was sacked and they were on the verge of the longest losing streak in Australian football.

Now, with Kewell on deck, they have won two games and the future looks bright with Manchester City's owners buying into the club. Having their marquee man in Brazil would top it off nicely.

We all know Kewell has a strong desire to play in a third World Cup, but rather than talk it up, he is letting his football mount a case for him. And it's quite compelling.

He was superb against Sydney FC on Friday night, and not in the way you immediately imagine when Kewell turns on a starring performance.

It wasn't the blinding quick Kewell from his days at Leeds, those days are well gone. He has had better games with his touch and vision, too.

This performance was all about composure under fire, being a leader when the Heart most needed one. When his team went a goal behind and were down to 10 men in the first half, he refused to let heads drop.

As the lone man up front, he chased lost causes, harassed the Sydney defenders and pushed his team to what can only be described as a miracle victory.

While David Williams was the hero with his brilliant late goal, Harry was the team's heartbeat. He kept them in the fight.

For all that, Kewell must know he is making his run for Brazil from a long way back. He's last on the turn in football's equivalent of the Melbourne Cup.

He has a lot of work ahead of him to convince Ange Postecoglou he's worthy of a spot.

But, as I said, he's doing everything right.

If Harry did make it to the World Cup, it would help to right a wrong in Australian football.

As one of the greatest players this country has produced, it would be a shame if his final World Cup act was the hand ball and red card in the game against Ghana four years ago in Rustenburg.

Perhaps the stars are aligning for Harry. Maybe I'm getting a bit soft, but it would be a good World Cup story.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/robbie-slater-says-harry-kewell-is-the-perfect-replacement-for-socceroo-robbie-kruse/story-fni2fopz-1226815690427

This article would probably have a lot more credibility if it were coming from a Simon Hill as opposed to Robbie Slater... don't get me wrong, I'm one of the few who actually doesn't mind Slater but the infamous feud between the two kind of gives the article a personal agenda vibe.

Would love to see Harry make the world cup squad though, even if he does play a bit-part role. He's been immense for us the past few weeks and has been a massive reason why we're finally starting to improve on the pitch, inspirational stuff.

Edited by Nate

My opinion of him is completely polar to what it was when he was at victory and when he was announced TBH. I was coming around to him when it was rumoured how little he was getting. He lost some love after the ongoing issues with injuries.

Since he started again. His playing. His leadership. He leads by example and seems to provoke action in players through his own actions.

I never saw him tackle like he does for MH when with MV. His humble interviews are refreshing.

One just has to look at the satisfaction he has and joins in the goal celebrations. Have a look at him sliding in on Willow's goal against Sydney. He's just one of the Boys

• Like 1

My opinion of him is completely polar to what it was when he was at victory and when he was announced TBH. I was coming around to him when it was rumoured how little he was getting. He lost some love after the ongoing issues with injuries.

Since he started again. His playing. His leadership. He leads by example and seems to provoke action in players through his own actions.

I never saw him tackle like he does for MH when with MV. His humble interviews are refreshing.

One just has to look at the satisfaction he has and joins in the goal celebrations. Have a look at him sliding in on Willow's goal against Sydney. He's just one of the Boys

His primal celebration by himself as soon as the goal went in was awesome as well. You could tell that the team getting the win meant so much to him. 

I reckon the thing about Harry is that he really and truely loves to play. Football has been his life since his early years and he hasn't lost his love for the game. The politics behind moves to different clubs is about securing an income for your family but when you boil it down he loves the game and gets carried away by the moment just like the rest of the team. With Harry on the pitch the team seems to stand taller.

Edited by HEARTinator

I'll back him once, and only once, I see how he handles the off-season/retirement/re-signing, it's been an all to similar tale with this chap over his storied career and I'm not letting a couple serviceable games pull the wool over my eyes just yet.

Serviceable in a couple of games?

His been best on ground in a couple of games. 

And his been in our best three or four players in another eight games he has played for the club.

(And that includes his limited time on the field in Round One.)

Also in our short history this club has also never had more vocal Captain on the pitch... something we have always sorely missed.

• Like 3

Kisnorbo backs Kewell recall

4 February 2014 

Dave Lewis

A resurgent Harry Kewell should be selected for his third successive FIFA World Cup, said his Melbourne Heart teammate Patrick Kisnorbo.

As a groundswell of support grows for in-form Kewell to be recalled to the Australia set-up, Kisnorbo, who has played alongside Kewell for the Socceroos, said the 35 year-old’s enduring quality could be vital in Brazil.

The ACL injury which has all but rubbed Robbie Kruse out of the tournament has led to calls for the Heart skipper to be included in coach Ange Postecoglou’s 23-man squad to be named in mid-May.

Kisnorbo believes the man whose previous two World Cup appearances were blighted by injury and then suspension deserves a spot regardless of Kruse’s numbing setback.

Instrumental in Heart’s recent revival, Kewell has been impressing with his vision, range of passing, deft touches, leadership and positional prowess of late as he stakes a late claim for selection.

“Harry is Harry and he has always brought something different to the Socceroos,” Kisnorbo said. “He trains like nobody else I have seen and I know the passion and desire is still there to show that he can still do at international level.

“It’s Ange's call, but he’s still a great player – the best Australia has produced – and to have him in the squad would, for me, be a huge asset.

“He still has so much to give, psychologically having him involved would provide the other boys with a boost – and he can certainly still do a job.

“He has enormous experience and he still has the ability to draw defenders into fouls and no matter where he is on the field, there are always a couple of players tracking him and that makes space for others.

“He is dangerous with the ball, and without the ball, and he's a player who steps up on the big occasions.

“When you are facing group games against Holland, Spain and Chile you need as much quality in the team as possible.”

Kewell, who made the last of his 56 appearance for Australia against Oman in June 2012, was missed badly by Heart after succumbing to injury in the first week of the season and not returning for two months.

Since then he has put together a run of nine successive appearances, his influence increasing with each one and spiking in the last three as Heart has picked up seven points from a possible nine with wins over Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets, and a point against Adelaide.

He has been written off in a stop-start career more times than he will care to recall as injuries have exacted a heavy toll.

“A lot of people have written a lot of people off and Harry is no exception," Kisnorbo said.

“But somehow he always gets back up again through his mental strength and his character and desire. That’s what you need at a World Cup.”

Postecoglou, who is in Europe scouting potential breakthrough players ahead of the 5 March World Cup warm-up against fellow qualifier Ecuador in London, is unlikely to call Kewell in for a game tentatively scheduled to be played at Championship club Millwall’s home ground, The Den.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1180519/Kisnorbo-backs-Kewell-recall

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1