Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

Hoffman gets paid more than him

The ultimate insult

Why? Hoff has put in the hard yards. Harry still has it all to prove.

Played in 2 World Cups, Premier League, arguably one of our best ever players v's can score against underage rep teams

• Like 4

Hoffman gets paid more than him

The ultimate insult

Why? Hoff has put in the hard yards. Harry still has it all to prove.

Played in 2 World Cups, Premier League, arguably one of our best ever players v's can score against underage rep teams

Ahahaha, so true

Socceroos boss Holger Osieck says Harry Kewell still on World Cup radar

Marco Monteverde   News Limited Network    July 27, 2013 1:32PM

HARRY Kewell remains on Holger Osieck's selection radar for next year's World Cup, but Socceroos skipper Lucas Neill must find a club quickly to secure his spot in Australia's 23-man squad in Brazil.

Less than a year out from the start of Brazil 2014, national coach Osieck’s preparations are set to go into overdrive as he addresses a host of issues.

"No final positions are locked away," Osieck stressed ahead of Sunday’s East Asian Cup clash between Australia and China, a game in which a host of fringe players will get a chance to impress the Germany-born mentor.

"Everyone still has to qualify, including the goalkeeper to the guy on the left flank. I need the competition within the group."

Quizzed on his thoughts, Osieck addressed a number of selection issues that still need solving between now and the start of the World Cup in June.

[...]

HARRY KEWELL

The Socceroos legend, who has hardly played since leaving Melbourne Victory at the end of the 2011-12 season, has returned to the A-League to play for Melbourne Heart.

If he has a good campaign, the potent attacking weapon seems in with a strong chance of going to Brazil.

"Whoever plays, whoever performs, has a chance, no matter what his name, no matter what his position, what is club is. It’s about performance and it’s about regularly playing," Osieck said.

"Due to the fact that he’s back in Australia, it’s very easy to follow up on him."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/socceroos-boss-holger-osieck-says-harry-kewell-still-on-world-cup-radar-lucas-neill-needs-club/story-e6frf4l3-1226686746830#.UfORJNJHI5Y

• Like 2

Liverpool and Leeds legends Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush back Harry Kewell's World Cup bid

Matt Windley   Herald Sun   July 27, 2013 3:46pm

LIVERPOOL legend Robbie Fowler says Harry Kewell's self-pride is too great for his A-League comeback not to succeed.

Kewell has played just three games in 16 months, but will turn out for Melbourne Heart this season in an attempt to win selection for a third World Cup next year.

The 34-year-old was due to play his first game in Heart colours against a regional team in Shepparton last Thursday only to be held back by coach John Aloisi.

Fowler, who played two seasons with Kewell at Leeds and another at Liverpool, said the Socceroos legend would be of benefit to any team if fit.

"I've seen him play many times, I've seen him play many times for Australia and probably along with Mark Viduka I'd say he's probably the best Australian to ever play the game. That in itself is an achievement,'' Fowler told the Sunday Herald Sun.

"I have no qualms with Harry. His fitness was always good, at Leeds it was excellent, at Liverpool it was excellent when he wasn't injured. I'm sure he wouldn't have let himself go. His fitness will be right up there.

"And with Harry it's all about pride as well. If he didn't think he could do this then I don't think he would have.

"He's a great signing for the A-League - he was when he first came over. I think he can still do the job. It's a new team, a new challenge for him, but the pride he has in himself means he will want to do well.''

Another Liverpool icon, Ian Rush, backed Kewell to make Holger Osieck's Socceroos squad.

Rush, who also played alongside Kewell at Leeds, said a recent chat with his former teammate left him in no doubt about his ability to feature in Brazil.

"His motivation is the World Cup,'' Rush said.

"I saw him at the airport and he said he's good now. He wants to do well for Australia.

"He's still got it in him, he can still do it and I hope he does well and gets to the World Cup.''

Aloisi said his decision to leave Kewell out of the game against the Goulburn North East Football Association All Stars last week was in his best interests.

He said Kewell would feature in a pre-season game in the next couple of weeks.

"We've still got a while to go in the pre-season and I thought he hadn't trained enough to play a game,'' Aloisi said.

"Hopefully soon he'll be able to play a game, he's been looking good in training and doing well, but I don't think it was enough for him to play.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/liverpool-and-leeds-legends-robbie-fowler-and-ian-rush-back-harry-kewells-world-cup-bid/story-fni2wcjl-1226686785535

Edited by Murfy1

I think people forget just how great of a player he is. Will bring a massive amount of quality to the squad and he'll probably be one of the best performers in the entire league next season.

Take your pick from: :lol:  :wacko:  :up: or  :droy:  or all of the above

Edited by HEARTinator

I think people forget just how great of a player he is. Will bring a massive amount of quality to the squad and he'll probably be one of the best performers in the entire league next season.

Take your pick from: :lol::wacko::up: or :droy: or all of the above What do you think you're getting at there mate?

Take your pick from: :lol::wacko::up: or :droy: or all of the above What do you think you're getting at there mate?

Haha, he could still be shit though :droy:  or his body become re-infested with gout :lol:  or abducted by aliens and turned into Foxe Mark II :wacko:  OR become a super hero bagging a brace against the old enermy :up:

;)

Edited by HEARTinator

What an absolute shit interview. Why bring a soccer player on if all you are going to do is ask him about his golf game ffs.

The only thing that surprised me about the interview is when harry was asked about people booing him he got really pissed off, and responded with 'when people boo me, i play better'. It sounds like he's gonna have a big season!!!

What an absolute shit interview. Why bring a soccer player on if all you are going to do is ask him about his golf game ffs.

The only thing that surprised me about the interview is when harry was asked about people booing him he got really pissed off, and responded with 'when people boo me, i play better'. It sounds like he's gonna have a big season!!!

When we booed him in 2011-12, he seemed to play worse...

A bit off topic... but there are actually some full comprehensive psychological studies into how players perform better when they are 'booed' by opposition fans, giving them motivation and a point to prove, with an adverse effect when it comes to your own fans doing it...

A bit off topic... but there are actually some full comprehensive psychological studies into how players perform better when they are 'booed' by opposition fans, giving them motivation and a point to prove, with an adverse effect when it comes to your own fans doing it...

Jason akermanis vouched for this. When he left the lions, i think it was The footy show that had an interview with him... He said that it spurred him on when being sledged on field by players and fans.

But in saying that, it depends on the person too... If they aren't headstrong and switched on, they may crumble instead of excelling.

Well if Harry doesn't mind why should YSIDE?

• Like 1

Well if Harry doesn't mind why should YSIDE?

Why are those guys boo'ing him?

Because it makes him play better! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...